Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 EVENT series in FR?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2017 :  09:46:57  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just wondering if there are any big event-type series in the line that I should pick up? I know about The Sundering books, but what else should I look into getting?

I use the term EVENT cuz, yeah, I read a lot of comics and couldn't think of another term.

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2017 :  13:34:37  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Avatar Trilogy covers the Time of Troubles.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2017 :  14:43:07  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, cool. Adding that to the list. (Yes, there is a list, and it has categories and everything,)
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2017 :  14:53:23  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Haunted Lands and the Empyrean Odyssey cover the Spellplague.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2017 :  17:15:10  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, those are on the list now.

Should I try and get books 4 and 5 of the Avatar series, or are they not needed?

Edited by - BountyHunter on 18 Mar 2017 17:15:54
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2017 :  17:47:05  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The number of events is fairly large. Ive never read any novels so couldnt tell you the names but here are a few events.

Threat from the sea
The dracorage
Return of the archwizards
Reclamation of myth drannor

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2017 :  17:53:49  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I mean, the BIG ones, world altering ones. I'm not against getting some of the smaller ones, too mind you.

Why haven't you read any of the novels?
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2017 :  19:30:22  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not all people like the changes those novels brought to the canon. As a DM, I can relate with them. Is frustrating to work on a campaign world for a lot of time, and that then a novel came and destroy your world-building in a second. I read the novels, but I tend to ignore events I don't like.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2017 :  20:41:01  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh I get picking and choosing, dazerdall sounds like they don't read ANY of the novels, though.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2017 :  21:00:01  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BountyHunter

OK, those are on the list now.

Should I try and get books 4 and 5 of the Avatar series, or are they not needed?

I really enjoyed books 4 and 5 and would definitely recommend them.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2017 :  21:01:18  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few more fun series that covered POTENTIALLY world-changing events are:

The Empires Trilogy
The Threat from the Sea

Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2017 :  11:18:02  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So that's it? Got them all covered?
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2017 :  13:58:14  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my opinion the better books of the Realms are the smaller, less world-altering ones, rather than the ones centered on the world shattering events. In (loosely and with some possible mistakes) publication order some of the major "event" series are:

Avatar trilogy (plus 2)- about the Time of Troubles
Return of the Archwizards- about the return of Shade
War of the Spider Queen- about Lloth's Silence, debatable how much actually changes
Year of Rogue Dragons- about the dracorage, debatable how much actually changes
Last Mythal- about the elven Return
Lady Penitent- about Lloth and the drow gods
Haunted Lands- about Thay and Szass Tam
Empyrean Odyssey- some Spellplague stuff sorta explained, maybe
Twilight War- more Shade, Sembia changes. Before reading this I recommend the excellent Everis Cale trilogy by the same author, Paul S Kemp, so that you know the characters involved.

After that my Realms book knowledge is low. Hope this helps. If you are interested in the Realms novels I suggest reading many of the smaller scale books more than I would recommend the massive event books. There are many great stories out there that aren't part of massive world altering events.

Edited by - idilippy on 22 Mar 2017 13:59:16
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2017 :  20:03:38  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are many lol

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2017 :  20:35:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BountyHunter

Oh I get picking and choosing, dazerdall sounds like they don't read ANY of the novels, though.

Apologies BountyHunter for not replying sooner.

I don't read novels because I'm primarily a gamer and out of that group a DM. I like to tell the tales rather than read someone elses. Plus after after reading other people's summaries of the novels I decided I would not like the direction some of the novels went in for many of the plot hooks I intended to use for myself.

Rather than being anti-novel I view them as just a bard's rendition of events which is then of course subject to dramatism and elaboration.

For me the real events are quite different from the novel interpretation.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page