Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What's the verdict on 2017?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Spectralballoons
Acolyte

Pakistan
48 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2016 :  13:31:11  Show Profile Send Spectralballoons a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Over here on Candlekeep I've seen it predicted often that WotC is planning to send Forgotten Realms Novels the way of the dinosaurs in the new year. We had a healthy number of novels in 2016, and although a couple of series ended IMO that is only natural. I'm having trouble believing that WotC won't continue to publish novels in the forgotten realms. Does anyone have semi-official proof that they are ending it? Them laying off authors seems to be a problem, but I'm sure they'll continue to publish FR, its their default setting. If I'm wrong, well, its been an amazing ride and we've had a beautiful run. Sorry I had to end the year on such a Spur note.

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2016 :  13:36:52  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you search around here a bit, you'll find Ed's own words on the matter: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21354#489089

No more novels unless the movie and an eventual movie-based novel do really well.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 30 Dec 2016 13:37:42
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2016 :  15:34:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, that's not an official statement from WotC, who has remained silent on the matter.

I think their silence is because they're trying to farm out the fiction to someone else, and we'll get an announcement once a deal is concluded.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2016 :  17:58:42  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Of course, that's not an official statement from WotC, who has remained silent on the matter.

I think their silence is because they're trying to farm out the fiction to someone else, and we'll get an announcement once a deal is concluded.

I hope your right
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2016 :  18:30:29  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Like how Paizo has TOR publishing their Pathfinder fiction?

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2016 :  19:03:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

quote:

Yup. It's also a better explanation than WotC deciding to simply throw away money and then refusing to confirm that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Spectralballoons
Acolyte

Pakistan
48 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2016 :  06:26:16  Show Profile Send Spectralballoons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

quote:

I think their silence is because they're trying to farm out the fiction to someone else, and we'll get an announcement once a deal is concluded.o

Yup. It's also a better explanation than WotC deciding to simply throw away money and then refusing to confirm that.

I hope they choose Tor, after the Mistborn saga I trust Tor. I don't think they'll axe FR, its their main setting. The only times previosly they've axed novel lines is when they haven't published rules forthesetting yet, like how greyhawk and dragonlance novels got the axe in 4e duxe to not existing as campaign settings, or how eberron and dark sun novels were axed in 5e due to lacking an updated campaign setting.

Edited by - Spectralballoons on 31 Dec 2016 07:50:41
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2017 :  18:59:12  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is going to be a FR movie???
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  23:40:37  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eventually.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  23:46:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bear in mind how things went quiet around Y2K between when TSR became WotC. It was a weird year.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Spectralballoons
Acolyte

Pakistan
48 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  19:01:23  Show Profile Send Spectralballoons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps they're budget is tied up in the movie. Anyways, on the products page there is lots of stuff published by other compaines, maybe thats the wah they sre going?
Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2017 :  11:20:55  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course. As soon as I decide to get into a series, it's getting discontinued. My life. Lol
Go to Top of Page

Spoon
Acolyte

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2017 :  19:21:29  Show Profile Send Spoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

I hope it's not a complete abomination like the "Dungeons & Dragons" movie was.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2017 :  23:28:18  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spoon

quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

I hope it's not a complete abomination like the "Dungeons & Dragons" movie was.

Oh, it most certainly will be. Hollywood's track record isn't exactly stellar.
Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2017 :  00:14:08  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have more faith if Disney had the movie rights. I wouldn't expect a lore filled story that many people would probably want, but I would expect great action with some good humor that actually makes money. Disney just seems to crank out those Billion dollar movies. Though FR would probably be doing good (depending on budget) to break 100 million.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000