Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Brian R. James
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  01:25:01  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a quick one for Brian from a previous conversation in another thread:

quote:

Originally posted by Brian R. James

quote:

Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I'm still trying to dig up some information on "The Lone Tower" and the Giant's Cairn as well.

In earlier maps the two are listed as being separate from each other; but in the new map from the "Monument of the Ancients" adventure they are placed together, with the tower in the middle of the cairn area.

I designed the map for Monument of the Ancients and I'd be happy to address any inconsistencies found within. Yet, this isn't one of them.

Examine the following quote from TSR9474 "The Moonsea" p.31

The Lone Tower
This tall granite tower was built to protect the Moonsea
against Thar. Years ago it was a scene of a great
slaughter between the humans of Thar and beings
from the north.

There is a round field, called the Giant's Cairn, surrounding
the Tower. The barren stretch is dotted with
great burial mounds capped with stones. I have been
told that some inscriptions on the stones are curses
that summon giants, but that sounds too far-fetched
to be true. Many of Thar#146;s humanoids who died at the
Lone Tower are said to be buried at the Giants#146; Cairn.
I tend to favor lore descriptions found in text, so I used this as an opportunity to correct a mistake repeated on earlier maps. I hope Markus finds this change less "repugnant" now that he knows the facts behind the decision.

BTW, I *am* working on a new map of the area so if there is anything to correct, now would be the time to bring it to my attention!

Thanks Brian!

I appreciate that...I totally overlooked that bit of writing.

What is your map for?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  18:59:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need info on the following, which appear on the 4e Cormyr map:

Valkur's Roar
Maloren's rest

Also, Mage Keep and Castle Aris both appear on the FRIA map as well, but I have no info on them.

EDIT:
New question: In your Chessenta article, which settlements can I assume aren't new as of the past (Wailing Years) century? Two I am suspect of, but the rest seem to have been there awhile.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Nov 2012 23:41:07
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  00:58:34  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Brian,

I originally wrote this in the Rose of Sarifal thread, but on reflection its probably best to post it here:

The Moonshaes are one of my favourite areas of the Realms, and Sarifal is intriguing; I really enjoyed your Realmslore: Sarifal article in Dragon. I'm developing a campaign storyline based on this area, including NPCs based there.

Some of the things I'm particularly interested in:

1) Relationship between LeShay & Llewyrr. According to realmslore, the latter have pledged allegiance to the former. Does this make Ate'Niah Lady Ordalf's vassal?

2) Relationship between humans (Ffolk, Northmen) and Llewyrr. What part did the Llewyrr play in defeating the Amnish settlers, and kicking the humans out of Gwynneth? Is this the reason for the 'strained relations'?

3) Relationship between Llewyrr and other elves (wood elves?) in Sarifal. If the wood elves are opposed to Fey expansionism, does this put them at odds with the Llewyrr, and might they be sympathetic to Ffolk designs to retake part of Gwynneth?

Any light you can shed on the above would be greatly appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2015 :  19:47:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A new (circa 1375) map I am working on covers Chessenta (in part), and I am trying to reconcile a few locations from your 4e article on the area with older geography (which isn't much of problem, considering the massive changes from the Spellplague). I've been backwards-engineering the (excellent) lore from the article, and I noticed a few sites not covered by the article itself:

Chelm's Roost
Calmaercor Stonemantle
Caerhuan the Storm Tower
Myth Valorthae

I just need to know if they are recent adds, or have been there awhile, but any additional lore would be fantastic. There's also no info on Shuruppak & Maugor, two settlements that fall outside of Chessenta. Anything I should know about these? (in other words, if you have lore saying Shuruppak was settled within the last century, then I shan't place it).

Lastly, is there a small tent-like structure along the Methflow with an ex-schoolteacher using forgotten Imaskari alchemy to produce a strange, crystalline drug?

Sorry... couldn't resist taking a jab at that one.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Jul 2015 19:50:06
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2015 :  14:30:23  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question about the Kara-Tur entries in The Grand History of the Realms. It seems, through what we see of emperor Tan Chin, that he was always evil, even returning as a lich. But the Kara-Tur: the Eastern Realms presents an apparently good warrior (owner of a powerful LG magic weapon) later corrupted by an evil, sorcerous wife. Which sources were used to write these new entries? If not you, which author should I ask for these write-ups?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2015 :  16:10:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I may...

I think Tan Chin was never truly 'good'. More like an ambitious over-achiever who was smart enough not to show his true colors until he got a firm grip on the throne. Everything he did in those 'early years' was to gain the support of the populace, when Shou-Lung was in its infancy (Anok-Imaskar). Think of him as a sort of Lo Pan,Victor Von Doom, and Hitler all rolled into one. After the war with 'the gods' he easily would have looked like 'the savior of his people', when all the while he was setting himself up to be this 'hero-god' type of figure in their eyes.

Why I think this is that you will find those 'good' entries occur at the same time as some of the bad ones. I don't think he ever really changed - he just didn't tip his hand (in all its ebil glory) until much later. And in his defense (and referring to my Hitler/Doom comparison above), I am sure HE THOUGHT he was 'the good guy', doing everything for the 'good of the people' (because in his mind, he was smarted then them, and knew what they needed... whether they liked it or not). In fact, I am still not all that sure he really is evil - just incredibly misguided.

By the same token, someone who has worked against him on occasion - The Black Panther - is also shown to be both 'good' & 'bad'. I think this is more about the chaos/law/ axis of the spectrum, then the good/evil one. One believes in freedom at all costs, the other, control. Neither considers themselves 'the villain'.

Just my 2¢

As for the GHotR entries - instead of getting the rewritten/reflavored Eastern histories (from the K-T material), we got a very 'plain vanilla' Western interpretation of the events in the east, which doesn't really get into the mindset of the people involved. Its all very Black & white, when the world is really 'shades of grey'.

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Aug 2015 19:54:09
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2015 :  18:21:34  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can see things that way, but then, what about the lawful good magical spear that he wielded, and that abandoned him when he supposedly turned evil?

Besides, to be apparently good Tan Chin also had to deceive the dragon that wrote the history section on the Shou Lung book... But well, I see it is difficult, but possible.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2015 :  20:00:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh, theres the rub.

When someone does any sort of 'detect alignment' thingy, what they are really doing is looking into the heart of the person. If Tan Chin truly felt he was 'doing good' ("The needs of the many out-weigh the needs of the few"), then his heart would be 'pure' (because his motives would be pure, from his own perspective).

Its pretty-much how you can have tyrannical lawful good paladins.

The spear is a magical artifact, and uses the same type of magic to judge others. It would not have questioned his actions until HE questioned them himself (had self-doubts about what he was doing afterwards). At the moment when you have to ask yourself, "was that justified?", you have crossed a line in your own mind.

At least, thats how I interpret things. I am sure Adolf Hitler thought he was 'the savior of the German people' right up until the end (you know... when he died in Argentina years later ).

Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2015 :  21:51:23  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Ahhh, theres the rub.

When someone does any sort of 'detect alignment' thingy, what they are really doing is looking into the heart of the person. If Tan Chin truly felt he was 'doing good' ("The needs of the many out-weigh the needs of the few"), then his heart would be 'pure' (because his motives would be pure, from his own perspective).

Its pretty-much how you can have tyrannical lawful good paladins.

The spear is a magical artifact, and uses the same type of magic to judge others. It would not have questioned his actions until HE questioned them himself (had self-doubts about what he was doing afterwards). At the moment when you have to ask yourself, "was that justified?", you have crossed a line in your own mind.

At least, thats how I interpret things. I am sure Adolf Hitler thought he was 'the savior of the German people' right up until the end (you know... when he died in Argentina years later ).

The villain is the hero of his own story. Once people understand that, you can play things with many layers, different shades of grey, and even a pure black vs white conflict, because the villain has thought out their goals better than the heroes. It's said stories are only as good as the villains within them.

To pick up on what Markustay is saying, I think Hitler knew what he was doing was bad, evil, and insane. However, in Hitler's mindset he was justifying it for the preservation of the Germanic peoples, and an expanded German Empire. But it's important to remember he was evil and insane, because no good person would go to the lengths he did.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2015 :  19:33:54  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
(...)
(...)

I understand your point, but following this logic, no sun elf - nor Elaith Craulnober - would be judged unworthy by a moonblade.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2015 :  00:26:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elven artifacts are used to their hubris, and are therefor designed to 'look deeper'?

Other then that, I got nuthin'.

EDIT:Just thought of something - he was using something that either masked his alignment, or actually changed it (like that helm that switches your alignment). That could explain a lot.

Also, the type of Lich he is - having to 'take over' other people's bodies. It could be that there is a certain 'breaking in' period in which the other personality isn't completely submerged (for example, that could be when he first took over the Monk Ambuchar Devyam, and the Monk was able to resist him for a long time, hence his 'good days'.)

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Aug 2015 00:31:31
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  13:33:48  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've also thought of the "helm of opposite alignment", or of a similar effect cast or done by his consort Meilan. However, for what I read in the Kara-Tur box (I may be wrong), he was corrupted AFTER reigning for some time, but GHotR implies that his very ascencion was by defeating the empress which later would become the immortal of mercy...

EDIT: Mr. James, can you help us? If not, I think we might take this discussion elsewhere, no?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 21 Aug 2015 01:18:06
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2015 :  10:20:36  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Brian, I was wondering the story your wrote in regards about Eilistraee and Vhaeraun that didn't get published in the Menzo box set, are you able to share it with us?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2015 :  18:11:10  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be very interested in it too. However, as far as I know, it can't be shared, because WotC still owns the lore. We only know that the Masked Lady gave away her divinity in lifting Corellon's curse from her followers, and that caused Eilistraee and Vhaeraun to separate again and become archfey. They could still use the lore, saying that Eilistraee and Vhaeraun managed to recover their divinity during the Sundering, since they are now back.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

c1b3rshad3
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  01:46:12  Show Profile Send c1b3rshad3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you help me with a list of modules and works that have information on the Surague Escarpment in Thay? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  12:43:13  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by c1b3rshad3

Can you help me with a list of modules and works that have information on the Surague Escarpment in Thay? Thanks.

Beyond books that include small descriptions of Thay & the Red Wizards (campaign settings, players guides etc.) for all things Thay, refer to:

Dreams of the Red Wizards
Old Empires
Spellbound
Lords of Darkness (3rd E, not Ref 5)
Unapproachable East

Also see
Red Magic (Novel)
Red Ambition (Short Story)
The Haunted Lands (Trilogy)
The Crimson Gold (Novel)
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  13:01:11  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

I have a question about the Kara-Tur entries in The Grand History of the Realms. It seems, through what we see of emperor Tan Chin, that he was always evil, even returning as a lich. But the Kara-Tur: the Eastern Realms presents an apparently good warrior (owner of a powerful LG magic weapon) later corrupted by an evil, sorcerous wife. Which sources were used to write these new entries? If not you, which author should I ask for these write-ups?

Refer to FRA 1-3 for a LOT more about Tan Chin and Melian (including their stats in the present and Tan's diabolical plan to take over Shou Lung again.

Also, the history in Kara Tur: The Eastern Realms was a word for word recount of the history created by Tan's poet side kick... not sure if you can call it all truth without going back in time and seeing for yourself :).
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2017 :  02:57:27  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Brian. I saw your "A Temporal Chronology of the Primes", and I have to say that this is fantastic. I was wondering if there is no problem if I update it with my compilation of 4e PoL stuff.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2019 :  11:57:52  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,
Is there something more about "Dosticgastos" (on the map -25,500 DR p.10 of your Great History of the Forgotten Realms) ?

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2019 :  19:15:45  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Ubtao courted Lotan for nearly a century. Ultimately their union produced Tarrasque."

"Since before the days of my great-grandfather, the Tabaxi had worshiped only Olurobo and his children, the nyama-nummo. In the days before the Great Rending, the Sleeper—greatest of all the nyama-nummo—ruled all the lands of my people."

The Seelper seems to be the Tarrasque.
Does this mean that Olurobo is another name for Lotan ?

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.

Edited by - Asharak on 08 Aug 2019 21:27:36
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2019 :  01:26:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

"Ubtao courted Lotan for nearly a century. Ultimately their union produced Tarrasque."

"Since before the days of my great-grandfather, the Tabaxi had worshiped only Olurobo and his children, the nyama-nummo. In the
days before the Great Rending, the Sleeper—greatest of all the nyama-nummo—ruled all the lands of my people."

The Seelper seems to be the Tarrasque.
Does this mean that Olurobo is another name for Lotan ?

I don't necessarily not subscribe to the concept that primordials are sexless... but when there are obvious references to male and/or female individuals I'd stick with them... so in this concept Olurobo and his children and Ubtao courted Lotan…. so based on this I'd say Olurobo is a male and Lotan is a female.

So, in this instance, I'd say Olurobo seems to be either
A) Ubtao
B) a father of either Ubtao (who is likely Kukul since we believe Ubtao and Qotal to be the same being), Sekolah, or Yaldabaoth (which we know Yaldabaoth's "father" to be Asgorath)

Of these choices, its almost like Kukul or Ubtao make the most sense for Olurobo. If that's the case then nyamma-numo become powerful "primal beings"... I hesitate to use the terms primordial or primal spirit. Some of the nyama-nummo may be more "human" and others may be more "bestial", and the concepts that we see with Ubtao, Ulutiu, and Uthgar wherein they have spirit animals that represent them may be tied into all of this.

Throw into all of this that beings such as Kazgoroth of the Moonshae Isles (who may have a form similar to a tyranosaurus) might also fit into this nyama-nummo category. The leviathan that serves the earthmother might even be some child of this line as well.

Also, check out Candlekeep Compendium volume 4 which indicates Lotan is a leviathan of the sea and is a female (it refers to her as she and as the mother of tarrasque).

From Candlekeep Compendium IV
While the aearee were expanding across the surface of Merrouroboros, the dragon demipower Yaldabaoth was busy expanding her influence beneath the sea.

Since her arrival on Toril, Yaldabaoth had been secretly courting a local shark god named Sekolah, eventually resulting in the birth of Lotan

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2019 :  20:17:30  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Brian R. James,

Just wanted to say loved the work you did for Realmslore 367 (http://www.wizards.com/files/367_Realmslore.pdf)

I am created a character based in a lot of the stuff you wrote there, my character is a sorceress divine soul of auril, half-elf (father was a eladrin, variant of the type winter, sprint, autumn and summer type from https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf).

I love the idea auril is the Queen of Air and Darkness.

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2019 :  17:45:31  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Brian,

Quick question about Dragon #362.

You wrote:

===

299 DR (Year of the Vaasan Knot)
High King Gwylloch, Prince Ketheryll, and all of their retainers slowly go mad. On the evening of the summer solstice, the inhabitants of the Castle of Skulls slaughter each other in a suicidal orgy of combat within the castle's gruesome walls. It is suspected that the mage Flamsterd was somehow involved in the High King's downfall.

===

When you were writing it, was there any particular reason to believe Flamsterd was alive / around back then?

Thanks,

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2019 :  15:33:32  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage
(...)
Also, the history in Kara Tur: The Eastern Realms was a word for word recount of the history created by Tan's poet side kick...
(...)

I think the "poet" is actually a dragon historian. I don't know, I've heard this theory before, but I think it is strange that a celestial dragon can be fooled or coerced to give us a good view on an evil emperor.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2020 :  04:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian, the map accompanying your 4e article on Cormyr in Dragon #365 shows a town named Accardi at the southern shore of the Neck. I've tried to find where that town is sourced, and everything just points back to your article/that map. Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2020 :  04:38:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian responded on Twitter. He wasn’t responsible for the final map and that location is as much a mystery to him as it is to the greater fan base.

— George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2020 :  21:04:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Brian responded on Twitter. He wasn’t responsible for the final map and that location is as much a mystery to him as it is to the greater fan base.

— George Krashos

Oh, I should follow him on Twitter. Do you know what his username is?

Thanks, I can just fill it in with my own stuff then. Going by what we know of density in the Realms, there should be a good number of hamlets filling in the area around Westgate at the eastern edge of the Dragon Coast; it doesn't quite resolve the question of exactly what the hell all of Westgate's gates are for, but it does help a bit.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2020 :  14:55:19  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So... I was away from Candlekeep for such an embarrassingly long duration that I forgot my login credentials! Thankfully, the kind seer Alaundo was able to restore my access in exchange for a rare tome describing the migratory patterns of vrocks. Once I get situated, I'll proceed to reply to these long overdue inquiries. Apologies for being away so long folks.

-Brian

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2020 :  15:51:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So... I was away from Candlekeep for such an embarrassingly long duration that I forgot my login credentials! Thankfully, the kind seer Alaundo was able to restore my access in exchange for a rare tome describing the migratory patterns of vrocks. Once I get situated, I'll proceed to reply to these long overdue inquiries. Apologies for being away so long folks.

-Brian

Did it include information on the airspeed velocity of an unladen vrock?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2020 :  16:07:21  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

-Brian

Did it include information on the airspeed velocity of an unladen vrock?

African or European Vrock?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000