Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Looking for all about Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  05:50:07  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, THO on Baalimr Selmarr of Arabel

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. xaeyruudh, here's Ed on Baalimr Selmarr:

"Brund" Selmarr (the origins of the childhood nickname are forgotten, but everyone uses it, including his family and the man himself) is an affable six-foot-seven muscled mountain of a man who lives above his shop, along with his wife Rella and his seven daughters. Rella is petite, but the daughters are all tall, muscled echoes of Brund himself, and are expert dyers, polishers, gluers, and finishers of wood.
The shop never closes; Brund employs three crews who travel about Arabel (and, in the summer months, the vicinity) doing everything from building homes and barns from the dirt up, to minor repairs and renovations (such as replacing windows and/or shutters, repairing doors, replacing rotting stair treads or railings, etc.). One of the three crews is always in the shop, sorting and cutting wood for the use of the other crews, and making furniture (specializing in sturdy, well-designed stools [designed to be climbed], chairs, and "tall-narrow-nook" shelving boxes that can be latched together in pairs for easy transport of their contents. The carpentry crews are cheerful, handy local citizens, who are encouraged to bring along their sons and daughters to be "trained up" into replacement crew members. Each crew has a base strength of ten "hands," plus trainees.
Brund is a fair dealer who rushes to rectify any mistakes free of charge, and is well liked in the city and its environs. He doesn't mind his workers "retiring" to set up their own competing firms, but his work is good enough and prices low enough that competitors have a hard time making inroads on his trade (he has cheerfully worked with former staffers on big projects, and welcomed back former staffers who've found pickings slim and want to step back into the steady coin and camaraderie). Brund is a simple soul who likes working with his hands, drinking (he has developed a prodigious capacity, and so seldom seems drunk), and taking long walks with his wife, who often recites ballads or reads racy chapbooks to him when they're alone. (For her part, Rella is an expert "feed forty no sixty no seventy mouths with something simple, hearty, and FAST" cook, and a painter of suggestive [read: "safe for public" erotic] scenes on board that have slowly begun to sell well (many to caravan dealers who take them to Waterdeep to resell at huge markups). Brund's daughters tend to be as affable as their fathers, to be good carpenters and great climbers, and to regularly rebuff suitors [in between taking as lovers the partners they fancy]. They are all good with accounts, and have watched their father boss the crews attentively enough to be very good "stand in" bosses, just by aping what they've seen him do. The two eldest are Lathleira and Maelra, and the youngest (a bit of a scamp) is Teleirla.
I hope this is of help.

So saith Ed, and there you have it.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  07:15:11  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good man!

That's an awesome bit of lore from Ed. I'm going to do something with it.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 08 Sep 2014 07:59:46
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  05:44:40  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some named rooms of the Royal Palace of the Purple Dragon, from Ed and THO

Hi again, all.
I bring the words of Ed to Jeremy Grenemyer:

Heh. In the interests of a robust list, I give ye these:

Armral's Pumproom (the apparatus in this room, devised by the now-deceased Palace handyman Ingur Armral, can pump-flush many of the garderobes and their chutes, if manually "pumped up")

Imdauth's Retiring Room (a room of mirrors, wardrobes, steam-kettle presses, sewing tables, and chairs, for the use of ladies needing repairs to their garments, named for the fussy and long-dead Palace dresser who devised and first equipped it)

Javohndur's Butlery (a kitchen and relaxation room for the underservants, grooms, equerries, et al of visitors to the Royal Palace; named for a long-ago steward who created the first such butlery, a smaller and long-demolished chamber elsewhere in the Palace)

Quessarium Hall (a glass-roofed conservatory/greenhouse on the upper floor of the Palace, at the western end, farthest from the gardens, where flowers are grown for Palace table arrangements sheltered from rains and other severe weather; named for a stunningly beautiful young lady-in-waiting of the Palace very early in Azoun IV's reign, who covertly entertained an astonishing number of manservants within it, including the gardeners who tended it)

Xantorth Hall (a little-used royal trophy room of sorts that houses preserved monster relics in glass cases, including tentacles and the much-shrunken central eye of the beholder for which it is named - - who like all the monsters whose parts are displayed here, was slain by an Obarskyr in the past; there are persistent rumors that this room is haunted, or that something valuable is hidden in it, tales reinforced by the standing order [from before the ascent of Azoun IV to the Dragon Throne] that the room be kept locked except for specific, approved-by-the-Crown [that is, King, Queen, or Royal Magician {plus Court Wizard, when this is a separate post}] entries)

Zhonder's Study (named for a Court Sage who perished in the reign of King Duar protecting royal records during the "troubles;" this room had been his workplace)

. . . and there you have it; Ed to the lore rescue once more.
love,
THO

(and)

And I can add one more Palace room from my campaign notes (Ed as DM, so this comes from Ed's words):

Omlath's Stair
This is a back staircase linking two floors of the Palace, that has little "open" (doorless) rooms at top and bottom, furnished with ovals of seating and sidetables. Often used by Palace staff and courtiers for brief, hushed conversations/consultations.

I'll go looking for more, and I'll prod Ed too, because I KNOW he has more.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2014 :  21:59:31  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on the origins of the roads and ways in the King’s Forest

quote:

Hi again, all. Ed is safe back home after a great Grandcon, whereat he enjoyed the company of many old friends and fellow Realms creators (Jeff Grubb, Steven Schend, Eric Boyd, Stan! and Matt Forbeck, not to mention new friends like Marc Tassin and old friends like Mark Nelson), played a little Lords of Waterdeep (even won a game, which is, he tells me, unusual when Jeff is sitting at the same table), and Made Future Plans galore.
So I handed him your latest posts, and he hath an immediate response for Jeremy:

One or two of the King's Forest roads began as hunting trails from the days when the elves "ruled" the land that is now Cormyr - - meaning, they were "drive the large game" (some of it monstrous by human standards) routes through the forest. Expanded/linked up, widened, and drainage-improved many times since. Including linking up with clearings that began as places where dragons were fought and a small area of forest ruined in the process. And were, much later, later "maintained" as human woodcutters' cutting-places.
(However, so far as I know, none of the roads began from magical calamities or rampaging monsters in human-ruled times. None of which would prevent erroneous local legends of wild spell-battles or monster-fights from springing up; there is, for example, one such tale of two dragons fighting to the death in midair above the forest, in the days when elf rule was waning and humans were moving in.)
Hope this is of help.

So saith Ed. Providing Realmslore whenever he can.
love,
THO

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 24 Sep 2014 22:01:48
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  23:18:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something I just came across and added to my own Realms 'Cyclopedia -

Havenmere – “Havenmere is a village in Cormyr (or Sembia, it depends upon whom you ask) amongst the Thunder Peaks a mile or two south of Thunder Gap. The village, small by any scale, is situated on the shores of a tiny lake (also named Havenmere) that nestles in a notch in the otherwise forbidding mountains. The lake is deep, clear, and very cold. The soil along its shore is a bit more fertile then anywhere else nearby...”, Dungeon Magazine #14, pg.14, “A Question of Balance”.

This places it near the entrance of Volkumburgh Vale (The Shattered Statue): I recall someone doing a map and running a campaign around there awhile back.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2014 :  17:51:17  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Something I just came across and added to my own Realms 'Cyclopedia -

Havenmere – “Havenmere is a village in Cormyr (or Sembia, it depends upon whom you ask) amongst the Thunder Peaks a mile or two south of Thunder Gap. The village, small by any scale, is situated on the shores of a tiny lake (also named Havenmere) that nestles in a notch in the otherwise forbidding mountains. The lake is deep, clear, and very cold. The soil along its shore is a bit more fertile then anywhere else nearby...”, Dungeon Magazine #14, pg.14, “A Question of Balance”.

This places it near the entrance of Volkumburgh Vale (The Shattered Statue): I recall someone doing a map and running a campaign around there awhile back.

That is a nice tiny bit of lore you came across. Its these little pieces of information that I had in mind when starting this scroll. Thanks for sharing, Markusthay.

Good Gaming, Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2014 :  21:46:11  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if anyone can use this, but this is the family tree for the Crownsilvers (from the late 1200s to the 1480s) I used for Fire in the Blood. Not all of it is referenced in the books, and so some of it can be considered "shadow canon" so to speak. Always room for another son or daughter no one talks about. :)
http://slushlush.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/CROWNSILVERS.pdf

There are a few errors on it.
  • Nyenae should be Neanae
  • Varlance became Pheonard
  • Faenar was mispelled Fanaer
  • Narantha is mispelled Nalantha
  • The following Birth and death dates were left off:
    Korra Crownsilver d. 1380
    Onsara Crownsilver d. 1412
    Savanth Crownsilver 1399-1440
    Ilaria Ravensgar 1398-1461

www.slushlush.com

Edited by - ErinMEvans on 16 Oct 2014 18:03:42
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2014 :  04:26:25  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK that's pretty awesome. Thank you for sharing, Erin! :)

Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2014 :  18:03:59  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

OK that's pretty awesome. Thank you for sharing, Erin! :)

You're very welcome!

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  20:01:18  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Erin,

my thanks for bringing this flavory piece of lore to my and our all attention.
However, I'd be interested which of those names are "true" canon and in which source I might be able to find them. Can you provide that information too?

And what's that with the family branch following Onsara Cronwsilver? It says "Dublicate"? Can you provide some insights here as well?

Many thanks in advance, Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 17 Oct 2014 20:02:53
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  20:36:15  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stubled across Jeremy Grenemyer's scroll here at the Keep, which collects all named rooms of the Royal Palace of the Purple Dragon in Suzail, Cormyr (with references). Nicely done! I added it to the list on the first page of this thread. At the same time I removed the link to Sanishivers named-rooms-project, as the link was off target for quite some time now.

And of course, Erin, your link was added to the list on the first page as well.

Good gaming, Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 17 Oct 2014 20:38:02
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  21:13:11  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to update my list of Cormyr-related novels since 4th Ed. So far my list contains the following two novels only:
- Elminster must die! (sample chapter in the novel Circle of Skulls)
- Bury Elminster Deep

But there must be more books by now, e.g. 'Elminster Enraged' and most likely 'Fire in the Blood' by Erin M. Evans, as her post suggests. But I have read only very few of the newer books. So please help me out, fellow scribes.

Thanks in advance, Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 17 Oct 2014 21:16:30
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  23:25:17  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Hi Erin,

my thanks for bringing this flavory piece of lore to my and our all attention.
However, I'd be interested which of those names are "true" canon and in which source I might be able to find them. Can you provide that information too?

1. Kimba Crownsilver comes from Cormyr the 2E game supplement (p. 47).
2. Maniol appears in that supplement, as well as Death of the Dragon and The Knights of Myth Drannor series. Narantha and Jalassa also appear in those books.
3. Ilberd appears in Death of the Dragon, but his place in the Crownsilver family is unestablished.
4. Britharra and Rence, and all of their descendants are established in the Brimstone Angels saga, particularly in Fire in the Blood. This includes Wynfar, as Helindra's husband/cousin.

The rest of it is what I'll call "shadow canon" because it isn't explicitly stated anywhere, but these are the number of generations required to get from Lady Kimba Crownsilver down to Brin. Should someone in the future want to play around with the Crownsilvers in canon, they'll have to work with the shape of the tree.

quote:
And what's that with the family branch following Onsara Cronwsilver? It says "Dublicate"? Can you provide some insights here as well?

Many thanks in advance, Ergdusch

So the "duplicate" entries are because Helilndra married Wynfar, her second cousin, and so their marriage and progeny are displayed off of her point in the tree as well as off of his.

You're welcome!

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2014 :  04:25:16  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on "crown ship" graveyards in Cormyr:
quote:

Hello, fellow scribes!
(snip)
Jeremy, there have been two naval "crown ship" graveyards in existence since before Azoun IV ascended the throne: a certain canal and turning basin in eastern Marsember for ships intended for salvage and reuse, that in most cases they never got and sank at their moorings, to the extent that in some spots three or more hulks are piled up atop each other, under the murky waters . . . and Margrath's Rest, a rocky "beach" well west of Suzail where ships were run ashore to be stripped of fittings, if they carried too much to simply be set afire and left to burn to the waterline, out on the waves, to sink and be disposed of in that manner. This beach hasn't been used for decades, now, but the rotten remnants of some large vessels can still be seen. (Margrath was an old retired naval captain whose last years were spent in a hut on the beach, fishing and smoking pipes and telling old tales.)
[This of course comes from Ed.]

And some information on a Palace family with the surname of Duskrose:
quote:

And (still for Jeremy) Ed tells me there is a Duskrose family, it's not noble (though some members of it have been knighted, so there have been several individuals known as "Sir Duskrose" in the 1100s and 1200s DR), but it has for centuries been a Palace family in royal service (i.e. its members have been staffers in the Royal Court and Royal Palace, in Suzail).
More to follow, as I work my way through Ed's e-mails.
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2014 :  04:28:23  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on the head Gardner Royal in charge of the Royal Gardens in Suzail (and another Palace family):
quote:

. . . And well met yet again! This time I bring the words of Ed of the Greenwood to Jeremy Grenemyer, in response to this query: "When Azoun IV took the throne, did he keep whoever was in charge of the Royal Gardens? Or did he appoint somebody new?"

Heeeere's Ed:

Hi, Jeremy! Good question, indeed. Upon the ascension of Azoun IV, he confirmed the continuance of the head Gardener Royal in office: the elderly, increasingly absent-minded (later became full-blown dementia) Gordroun Palonder, a kindly old expert who increasingly relied on younger and stronger assistants. Palonder secretly kept a "poison garden" on the roof of the Royal Stables, but evidently as a hobby rather than for sinister purposes, though Alaphondar and Vangerdahast both kept a close eye on him because of it. Palonder died in office, though for the last year of his service (1352 DR) he was bedridden. His successor was Relvarra Lionwinter, his best-trained assistant, a wise and clever but homely woman of a longtime Palace family. She eventually married a Purple Dragon officer, but refused to retire from her position. (And that's where my notes end.)
Hope this is of help!

So saith Ed, tireless spinner of Realmslore...
love,
THO

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 03 Nov 2014 04:28:58
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2014 :  20:00:09  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the I need a Cormyrian noble family... scroll, a reply from THO about noble families with branches in Cormyr and Waterdeep:
quote:
From my playing experiences, the Roaringhorns in the mid 1300s DR had close ties back and forth between Cormyr and Waterdeep, cooperating on trade and investments, and younger family members got sent in both directions once a year or two on such matters and to "learn how the others live, and what their home turf is like," with occasional less-planned journeys when a Roaringhorn got into trouble with the authorities or senior family members (the easiest thing to do was pack them off to the other place, to live there for a time while things cooled down, or while a particular uncle or aunt "took them under wing" and taught /showed them a thing or two).
The families that I recall that have branches in both Cormyr and Waterdeep are the Rallyhorns and the Roaringhorns - - and although they lack noble standing in Waterdeep, a handful of Goldswords fled Cormyr in a hurry following the events of CORMYR: A NOVEL and took up residence in Waterdeep, living and behaving as they always did (i.e. as arrogant, freely-spending nobility).
I'll ask Ed if there are any other families represented in both places, that can fit your needs.
love,
THO

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 28 Dec 2014 20:00:48
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2014 :  10:35:40  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on the environment just outside Arabel's walls:
quote:
Hi again, all.
xaeyruudh, Markustay is right: there are graveled dirt wagon-tracks encircling Arabel, with hardpacked-through-much-use "pads" or fenced areas used for caravan paddocks (assembly, camping, etc.) and livestock droving (beasts brought to the city for sale, and sold from these outdoor, outside-the-walls enclosures, being brought inside the walls only for slaughter or if purchased for draft use by residents of Arabel).
As for Markustay's question about air roads: Yes.
(As in, they exist, but Ed will have to provide all the details. Sorry!)
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2015 :  20:45:36  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on border raiders, smuggling and illicit goods in the Stonelands and northern Cormyr:
quote:
Hi again, all.
Eilserus, I can begin to provide a partial answer to your last question (from my years of playing a PC with Ed as my DM):
Two main sorts of things: illegal trade substances (certain poisons, kidnap victims, cadavers or body parts and organs both fresh and preserved of sentient races, identifiable stolen goods like nobles' rings and royal regalia and paintings or statuettes snatched from Cormyrean collections) and contraband = trade goods that the smugglers are avoiding import and export limits and more often duties on, like weapons, armor, certain wines and spirits, minor magic items ("glowing globes" that serve as hovering light sources, for example).
The proximity of the warehouses of Arabel (and also the "handy highway" of the valley north of Eveningstar that the Haunted Halls open into) means that various caves and ravines in the Stonelands can be used as way-storage for goods to be "beyond the reach and scrutiny" of Cormyrean authorities most of the time, and moved into Arabel at just the right moment to be bought or sold when the right caravan-traders are stopping over (and to manipulate prices by affecting local supply, either producing a glut out of seemingly nowhere or a sudden dire shortage).
The Caverns of the Claws and the front room of the Haunted Halls themselves, not to mention that hollow in the rock pillar outside the Halls in the valley, all provide handy storage for small amounts of cargo.
We Knights (back when we were the Swords) saw this sort of shady shuttling going on all the time, and got caught up in skirmishes involving it fairly often (smugglers dislike witnesses). It was a way of life for some folk in Eveningstar, and this business, plus the legitimate overland mercantile trade, plus the Purple Dragon road patrols (notably out of High Horn and Arabel), all made the Lonesome Tankard a far busier and more profitable place than it would otherwise have been.
I hope this is of help. (Ed remains wildly busy right now).
love,
THO

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 02 Jan 2015 23:04:04
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2015 :  19:04:51  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So as I shuffle around in the archives in my mocassins and what I long ago dubbed my Mr. Rogers sweater (cheesey grin), I came upon this lore snippet from 22 Feb 2005 regarding the publishing of books in Cormyr, posted on this page: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3684&whichpage=16

Specifically: "No Court permission is required to publish anything, with three exceptions: anything of or about magic, anything of or about a living member of the royal family, and anything specific about current (not historical) Cormyrean military dispositions."

I'm assuming the restrictions on publishing anything about magic are to avoid wizards angered (hello Volo!) from secrets being revealed showing up from all over the Realms to blast anyone involved to ash? Or so a book of knowingly wrong experimental disasters don't have every fledgling wizard blowing themselves and everyone around them up? Or would there be other reasons?

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2015 :  19:40:43  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

I'm assuming the restrictions on publishing anything about magic are to avoid wizards angered (hello Volo!) from secrets being revealed showing up from all over the Realms to blast anyone involved to ash? Or so a book of knowingly wrong experimental disasters don't have every fledgling wizard blowing themselves and everyone around them up? Or would there be other reasons?
I think your first two ideas are dead on, because that's what I as a DM would imagine happening if someone published the magical pass phrases to a wizard's tower (that wizard still alive and practicing magic).

Likewise if enemies of Cormyr (the Zhents if pre-Spellplague or the Shadovar post-Spellplague) wanted to try to entice magelings into a quick path to magical power that ultimately destroys them, and so deprives Cormyr of a generation of mages.

I think another reason might be to keep people from publishing Crown secrets (how to get past the wards in the Palace, for example, or details on how potent magic items are stored).[1] The more people start to think about these things, the more likely important secrets will get out and see circulation amongst the general public.

[1] Such as the fact that Cormyrean armories are strongholds where magic items are carefully crated and shielded from each other by stone half walls or full walls, with stout wooden doors. Or that seneschals and garrison commanders don't care for trap spells or alarms set over magic items needed in an emergency. See "Bury Elminster Deep", page 59.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2015 :  16:53:34  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on Castle Irlingstar, and the imprisonment of male and female nobles:
quote:

Hello again, all.
Jeremy, Ed's notes (the bits that I have copied over the years, when Realmsplay meant my character had "found out" this or that)on this topic say:

Female prisoners have been far fewer in number (the nature of their offenses tends to be more fines and property - - or in rare cases, title - - forfeitures than imprisonments), and are usually housed in cells at High Horn, or even individually at various state-owned fortresses and hunting lodges.

And:

Irlingstar was instituted for imprisoning male nobles when rebellions resulted in a high number of inmates at once, and their wealth and connections meant geographical isolation was wisest, to prevent bribery and to make their imprisonment "hurt," as opposed to becoming a country club stay whereat they could still make investments, carry on businesses, and affect politics during their incarceration (which a number of nobles managed to do while locked up in cells in Suzail, years earlier).

So saith Ed. And there you have it.
love,
THO

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 21 Jan 2015 16:54:35
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2015 :  16:56:05  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on the differences between the Lords Magister, Magistrate and Master of Suzail:
quote:

Hi again, all. I bring you the words of Ed, in response to xaeyruudh’s query: “The 2e Cormyr book mentions the Lord Magister of Suzail, the Lord Magistrate of Suzail, and the Lord Master of Suzail, and at least the latter two are Sthavar. What are the meanings of these titles, and are they sometimes held by three different people?”
Here’s Ed:

Yes, those three titles can and have been held by different people at various times.

The Lord Magister of Suzail is the Palace official in charge of keeping straight the registrations (and reportings-in, and whereabouts) of all independent, non-Wizards of War arcane spellcasters resident in Suzail or visiting the city. (The War Wizards spy on all such individuals when they can spare the manpower, and doing so is ongoing training for their novices and junior members - - and something of “punishment duty” for veterans.)

The Lord Magistrate of Suzail is head of the courts in which legal disputes in the city are adjudged. Cases involving nobles are an exception; they are heard in the Royal Court by senior courtiers, an Obarskyr, and usually also by a jury of peers (i.e. other nobles), treason being an exception often handled in near-secrecy by the Court Wizard and the reigning monarch. For matters large and small involving commoners, in which nobles and royalty are only involved as property owners, will be heard by the Lord Magistrate or magistrates (“magisters,” a term which often causes confusion with the “Lord Magister”) reporting to him.

The Lord Master of Suzail is an office that could in real-world terms probably best be described as “Manager of Public Works/Civic Works/Roads, Streets, and Sewers (also: Water and Drainage).” This “lord” can be a commoner (it’s an office awarded by the Crown, sometimes as a reward), and oversees the actual city workers.

So saith Ed. Providing Realmslore for us all, whenever he can.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2015 :  19:56:23  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More from THO's play notes on the Magister, Magistrate and Master of Suzail:
quote:

Found some other jottings I made (during play, with Ed as DM) re. those three offices of Suzail, so for xaeyruudh and all scribes interested in the lore of Cormyr:

The Lord Magister of Suzail advises the Crown on regulations and laws regarding the use of magic (so do the War Wizards, so the Lord Magister usually ends up championing the interests of visitors and "just plain citizens" as opposed to lawkeeping and state interests).

The Lord Magistrate of Suzail is responsible for the written records of all sentences. When records are incomplete or unclear, he acts as an appeals court of sorts, because he can change sentences in such cases.

The Lord Master of Suzail recently* hired some Suzailan beggars, idle street youths, the lame, and the elderly, to go about the city peering up at all buildings and noting crumbling stonework, roofing in need of repair, rickety outside stairs, and other "weathering that needs attention," so civic officials can talk about such things with property owners before collapses or really major repairs come about precipitously.

* = "recently" in this case meant 1358 DR

Knew I'd made some notes, but took me some time to find them, because none of this ever featured much in our adventuring.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2015 :  03:54:44  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on the activities of Neiroon 'the Schemer' in Cormyr and the wider Realms:
quote:
Ed shares:

Hi, Damian. Neiron later, I'm afraid, but as for Neiroon, I can now reveal more (as play has unfolded in the home Realms campaign, and so what I say here won't spoil things for my players).
Neiroon already had a habit of vanishing for long periods before the Knights first met him, and this continued. His hut beside the River Lis is nothing more than a small, ramshackle weathered one-room wooden structure with a moss-covered cedar shake roof. The dim interior has a huge wooden bed (four Knights once shared it comfortably, without undue intimacy), a simple trestle table with one good chair and a bench, a chamberpot, and a tiny heart with cauldron-hook. There's no basement, and when Neiroon's away, the chait, chamberpot, and cauldron-hook are all missing, as are the bedcovers (three blankets and a large array of beast-pelt furs). Neiroon has a well-concealed underground storage niche for all of this about a mile farther from the rive: a stone-lined shallow pit with a camouflaged earth-and-vegetation "lid" cover, on higher and drier ground.
Neiroon is absent for long periods because he travels a lot, alone and often employing avian or beast shapes (using his druidic magic). He maintains at least a dozen small, simple residences (and even more hidden storage caches, including at least two on the roofs and in the attics of grand mansions and palaces belonging to others).
Neiroon is an adviser, tutor, and sometime spy for at least six rulers (from petty "robber barons" in the Border Kingdoms and elsewhere to the heads of Chessentan city-states to noble families of Cormyr and Waterdeep who dominate the towns and villages nigh their countryside retreats. Neiroon makes a living hiding things or finding things and people for such patrons, carrrying messages for them, and either training or arranging for the right other person to discreetly train family members and trusted retainers of his patrons. He is something of a soft-voiced, quiet man of few words version of Aragorn, more apt to use illusion and ruse and silently slipping away or misdirecting than he is to draw sword and fight openly, but he has his own moral code, and has been known to dispense "poetic justice" to some he meets, in the manner Elminster has become so notorious for. He's not interested in publicity, reputation, or "the general public" getting to know his face, whereabouts, name, or what he's up to - - but he has been known to show up in Storm's kitchen on rare occasions for a warm bed, a good meal, and to dry out. As a friend, NOT a Harper. And that's probably about as much as I should say, given where events are right now in the home Realms campaign.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2015 :  03:59:15  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the topic of glassblowing in Cormyr (also the Dales and Sembia):
quote:
Great questions, Hoondatha, and off they go to Ed.
From my notes, I can go this far (quoting Ed verbatim here; he was writing about the Dalelands, Cormyr, and Sembia, but the wording suggests he meant it to apply more widely):

In general, because of the fragility of glass, glass is blown just about everywhere that isn't arctic, so your "fairly common" supposition is correct (some local glass is just terrible, that's all: cloudy/full of inclusions and bubbles, fragile, thick and ugly).

However, we'll see what Ed has to add to that admittedly paltry lore.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2015 :  04:01:27  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the topic of Thauglorimorgorus, and the manipulation of the Weave by dragons:
quote:
Hello again, all.
dazzerdal, great questions, and off they've gone to Ed. Here is what little I can say:

"First and foremost among the questions for me is what is the current status of the purple dragon. I realise history records him as being killed but i am wondering if that is the entire story."
THO: So far as I understand, this is still NDA.

"Second, has Thauglor ever been involved with any tinkerings in the weave around Cormyr (like Embrurshaille in Thar)."
THO: Yes.

"Sources indicate that the Obarskyr family are linked in some way to the Weave and this may have been inherited (not in a genetic sense but perhaps through knowledge or manipulation) from the elves. Is this linkage and malleability of the Weave in Cormyr in any way linked to Thauglor and have any other groups or peoples discovered and exploited this link (such as the Sword Heralds or Nalavaroth the Devil Dragon who Jeremy informs me could direct teleporting mages within Cormyr into her mouth). [Jeremy: "Oops! I meant to say she could redirect already teleporting wizards away from their destination directly into her maw."]"
THO: BIG NDA here. Beyond hints Ed has given me in the past that several individual dragons know some secrets of the Weave, and exploit them, and that this is the source of much "dragon magic" that doesn't fit the casting of known arcane magic spells.

"Third, what is the legacy of Thauglor, does he have any children, does he survive in some fashion, where is his lair and has it been discovered yet, how did he shape Cormyr after its beginnings (when he allowed the realm to be settled) apart from the purple dragon imagery which i understand started with Prince/King Duar."
THO: NDAs, yes, but I do know Thauglor had children. How many and their fates and/or present dispositions, I don't know - - but I can tell you that in the home Realms campaign, years ago, we encountered a beautiful human woman who escaped us in dragonshape (and so was a weredragon or song dragon or something else able to shapechange into a dragon and back) who used the name "Tharaela Blood-Of-Thauglor." And I'm afraid that's ALL I know about her, except that we Knights saw her watching us, just for an instant, years later.
And of course that means that Ed, as our DM, probably isn't going to say much more about this mysterious Tharaela.
However, when it comes to spilling about Thauglorimorgorus (who of course Ed created and named, though Jeff Grubb first brought him to life onstage in fiction, in CORMYR: A Novel; that is, Jeff wrote the first draft of the Thauglor scenes), we'll see . . .
love,
THO
and
quote:
dazzerdal, you may well be on to something, re. Thauglor. (Ahem, hint, hint...)

And in regards to your second question (the one I answered with a bald "yes" because I've no idea until Ed and I talk how much I can share, let's just say that several of the Royal Magicians of Cormyr have come to believe that the dragons worked covertly with the Weave before both elves and humans were "allowed" to come into the area that is now Cormyr, possiby as something of an experiment. (The ability of certain dragons to work with the Weave akin to the way the veteran Chosen of Mystra do is one of the great unexplored areas of Realmslore - - and every time I nudge Ed to provide more, he smilingly directs me to his next novel, and his next, and his . . .
love to all,
THO

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 19 Feb 2015 04:03:12
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2015 :  04:33:16  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding the undead in the Haunted Wing of the Royal Palace
quote:
And hello again, all.
Re. this, from Jeremy Grenemyer: "I was also wondering if any of the undead in the Haunted Wing have been successfully quelled, or at least subdued, by song alone?"

Ed just sent me an e-mail that included this answer for you:

Yes. Several of the "sad queens" (sad-eyed gliding court ladies, not actually queens or princesses, but the public gave them this nickname nonetheless) seem comforted by skilled harping of the style popular several centuries back, and will smile and nod and withdraw. And there are at least two minstrels among the ghosts, who can be driven away in rage by bad playing, or playing certain loud and uptempo modern dances. Legend holds that playing just the right tune will make one of them your friend, guide, and nightly confidant (if, ahem, you consider that a reward), but no one seems to have yet hit upon just what that "right tune" is.

So saith Ed. Intriguing me greatly, as it sheds light on some events in the home Realms campaign from YEARS ago. Gods, what a mind the man has . . .
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2015 :  18:32:44  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on the daily doings of Lanthandarites in Eveningstar and what you might find in and about The House of the Morning if you poke about enough

enjoy

Damian

I can give you a "starter answer" and hand your question on to Ed for a deeper followup.
First of all: the clergy of the temple leave tending sheep and goats to the citizen farmers of Eveningstar, and confine themselves to growing herbs and vegetables, making "physics" and "cordials" (medicines), and doctoring. They make steady amounts by the sale of bulk vegetables (including wares stored under straw in shallow caves they've dug in the cliff face to the west of the stream valley) to passing caravan merchants (the locals, of course, grow their own), and make the main temple income from the selling of bottled sauces and jarred preserved herbs, plus some of the aforementioned medicinal cordials (they blow their own glass bottles, BTW).
The temple maintains "offices" of prayer (somewhat akin to a real-world Benedictine monastery) around the clock, and much of the daily work of the temple is farming, by hand, in the fields, and by visiting the people of Eveningstar and wayfarers stopping at local inns (in the Knights' time, the Lonesome Tankard). These visitations are to help, advise, and encourage new ventures, inventions, and innovations both large and small among the general populace.
The basement of the temple consists of low-ceiling cellars full of kegs of ale (the main drink of the clergy; this is watered-down ale, more "treated water" than "stuff to get drunk on"), hanging meat (the clergy have their own smokehouse on the west side of the mouth of the stream gorge), and stored root vegetables, plus the "underkitchens" where pickling occurs, vegetables are chopped and boiled, and so on (spit roasting occurs outdoors, even in severe winter weather).
The upstairs of the temple consists of several "cells" (quiet rooms) for solitary prayer and contemplation (farthest from those stairs), three large dormitory rooms (two-decker bunk beds for the clergy to sleep in), a row of garderobes and a bathroom (meaning: room with copper sit-baths; water is pumped by hand from cisterns), several meeting rooms, and then, closest to the stair you had the priests descend, a robing room (cloakroom, with outerwear boots, sandals, cloaks, hoods, and wintercloaks all stored, with benches for getting dressed and undressed), plus a toolroom and workshop.
As for memories...hoo boy; much consultation and doctoring of wounded Knights, an adventuresome interlude involving Torm trying to find a private spot for some hanky-panky with a willing lass but being continually interrupted by oh-so-genuinely-helpful priests, and at least one instance in which the clergy hid a runaway outlaw from Purple Dragons searching for him, because they disagreed with the policing methods. Oh, and Lord Tessaril stood up for them doing so, when it finally got found out. Tessaril and Charisbonde were staunch friends, and worked together covertly quite a bit. (And there is - - correctly - - rumored to be vast wealth hidden in or around the temple, but the individual priests of today haven't the faintest where it is or how to access it, no matter how much they get enchanted or tortured by someone wanting to find it.) The temple coffers are banked in Suzail; they can buy and sell all of Eveningstar several times over, and are rumored (again, correctly, though they won't admit which ones) to have part ownership in several trading costers.

There. Hope this is of help!
love,
THO

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2015 :  21:22:25  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread is like a fine wine. The more time that goes by, the better and more valuable this thread gets.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2015 :  17:07:01  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

This thread is like a fine wine. The more time that goes by, the better and more valuable this thread gets.

aye but needs a bit of work on it - seems like we have all forgotten to update this from Ed and Tho's responses for a month or three!

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page