Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Looking for all about Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2013 :  09:38:08  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on black nobility

Cheers

Damian

RACES OF FAERUN is the master guide to such matters, but there are many black nobles in Calimshan and in the lands near the Utter East. BTW, "dusky-skinned" means just that: light brown (not "black") - - and there are nobles of this "coffee-with-cream/manila envelope" skin hue aplenty in Turmish, the Tashalar, and the Vilhon.
In Cormyr, black nobility are few, and all of them are descended from individuals ennobled for service to the Crown (usually battlefield bravery as Purple Dragons defending various Obarskyrs, down the years). Nobles marry other nobles and wealthy folk (in the case of Cormyrean nobles, these wealthy sorts are most often Sembians), not along color lines, so over time everything gets racially mixed. By the mid-1300s, the visibly black noble houses of Cormyr (all of them minor) are the houses of Domrith, Hartel, Hethemer, Kallowsar, Lornsar, Sundever, and Torith. The Master Chirurgeon of the Realm (senior Court surgeon; one Andor Velantur; styled "Lord" but a life peer rather than a title that will outlive him) is black. BTW, the polite Inner Sea term for black is "nightskin." (Many of the rude terms allude to crossbreeding with drow.)
Hope this helps.

So saith Ed. Creator of Cormyr and most of its nobles. Who is hard at work on the Realms right now.
love,
THO

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  21:03:37  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on the "why's and wherefore's" of Nobles not wanting the Dragon Throne but being prepared to moan about the Obarskyrs running Cormyr

Cheers

Damian
Hi. The answer to your first question depends on who the audience is. To many nobles, the argument that they have just as much right to sit on the Dragon Throne as "those lucky Obarskyrs" is quite persuasive; to most others in Cormyr, far less so. For one thing, certain families (such as the now-exiled Bleths) have definitely "been around" in the region now known as Cormyr for as long as the Obarskyrs have, but some of the other families making such claims have not, and are either making them in ignorance of the realm's earliest days, or depending on like ignorance on the part of their audience.
There have indeed been successful revolts, and revolts done with the connivance of some War Wizards, AND revolts that managed to elude the vigilance of the War Wizards.
There have also been War Wizards who have falsely accused the innocent of various treasons and seditious acts, though the "mind-reaming" that had become common usage in the organization prior to the "mind-reaming will drive the reamer mad" peril that the Spellplague brought on, made such accusations difficult and foolish.
See the novel Jeff Grubb and I co-wrote, CORMYR: A NOVEL, for examples of all of these.
The majority of "oldblood" nobles do privately see the Obarskyrs as "first among equals," but tend to thank the gods that the Obarskyrs got saddled with all the headaches, danger, and time-devouring duties of rulership, while they themselves have time to pursue all their whims and hobbies, and can snipe about how badly the kingdom is being ruled to their hearts' content. So they may be firmly against this or that policy or decree, but staunch supporters of the Obarskyrs holding the Crown - - for the very good reason that they don't want the job themselves (young hotheads usually excluded from this point of view), and REALLY don't trust most of their noble rivals as alternatives; the Obarskyrs are seen as the least bad of all the available evils.
Most nobles' claims to the throne aren't based on "my family has a better claim than the Obarskyrs," but rather, "this Obarskyr fathered this ancestor of mine in these circumstances, which I can clearly see gives me a closer/better claim to the Dragon Throne than the current occupants who have Obarskyr surnames." The problem is that their personal clarity of sight differs markedly from that of other observers. ;}

So saith Ed. Creator of Cormyr and most of the sprawling sandbox around it we call the Realms.
love,
THO

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 18 Jun 2013 19:23:54
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  19:22:41  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on a minor noble family (the Stonecastle's) from the home Realms campaign

Enjoy!

Cheers

Damian
Hi again, all.
Jeremy, Ed will have to answer most of your questions about Malivur Stonecastle, but I can confirm from my notes that the Stonecastles are a minor Cormyrean noble family, ennobled in the reign of Duar (so presumably a Stonecastle aided that king in the civil war) and so long-established, and mainly resident in the southern coastal part of the Forest Kingdom. Their arms are a white-with-gray-detailings crenellated stone castle tower (like a chess rook) with two arrow-slit windows visible at differing heights, on an emerald green field (with a white border, on a shield of the shape sometimes called "elegant" in heraldry, and often in the USA referred to as a "police shield" because it's the shape of some classic police badges). Duke Bhereu (of the ruling family in the time of Azoun IV)was romantically linked to Ashlaelra Stonecastle in his youth, but she died tragically (and he was reportedly heartbroken).
There that's all I've got.
So saith me (from lore Ed gave me, of course).
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  14:41:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What was Azoun IV's and Filfaeril's son's name?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  15:25:00  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Foril. He was slain at age 2.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  19:45:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slain at age 2??? that's a bit nasty.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  20:24:33  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Assassins are nasty business, I'm afraid.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  12:55:50  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:

Where could I find this information in official sources? I would like to know...

Thanks in advance, Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  13:06:33  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:

quote:

Where could I find this information in official sources? I would like to know...

Thanks in advance, Ergdusch
Oh, lots of places. The most complete and explicit description in print (that I can find in less than a minute of looking, anyway) is from Dragon Annual 5 (2000), p. 61, in the description of Filfaeril in Ed's "After the Dragon" article:
quote:
[Filfaeril]'s never really overcome the death of her first child, Foril (a son born Mirtul 1, 1332, who died on Uktar 11, 1334 at the hands of an assasin); those who wish to anger or wound her need only recall Foril to her.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  13:36:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Foril. He was slain at age 2.

TY Brian.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2013 :  14:55:11  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any information on who sent the assassin?
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2013 :  14:55:59  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2013 :  15:03:26  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakuta Khan

IIRC The Fire Knives.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2013 :  18:47:04  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An excellent overview of Queen Fee from Brian Cortijo

Cheers

Damian

Filfaeril was influential throughout her marriage, but the influence she carried differed. She was always beautiful, clever, insightful, and observant. When she was younger, this meant that sh was charming, and people saw her as a trophy wife that didn't understand the high-level politics around her, meaning that she witnessed conversations and meetings that she was able to share information with Azoun.

As folk were disabused of their notions of her lesser intellect--and make no mistake, Fee was smarter than Azoun and, in her own ways, at least as smart as Vangerdahast was--her influence shifted from a beautiful 'thing' to a dangerous woman. Filfaeril got what she wanted. She was queen of Cormyr. She was mother to the heir and wife to a powerful, respected, and well-loved king. She inspired the personal loyalty, if not the unrequited romantic love, of several nobles, knights, highknights, and war wizards. And more than all of that, she knew things, even before someone came to her to share information or ask for her favor.

For me, her period of greatest influence was between 1379 and 1384, when she was dowager, Alusair was still regent, and other influential women (Caladnei, Myrmeen, Laspeera, Tessaril Winter) made it clear that they were loyal to Filfaeril, even if they disagreed--which they seldom did, and never greatly or publicly. During those five years, immediately before Azoun V took the throne, her authority was almost unquestioned.

But hey, what do I know about Cormyr?

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2013 :  05:10:03  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed (via THO) on the tenanted farms owned by the Spurbright noble family, located north of Espar

Stay thirsty my friends

-Jeremy

"Stonebolt Fields" is the collective name that has stuck to the Spurbright Steads (much to the annoyance of several of the elder Spurbright females, though younger family members tend to like the sound of it, and use it themselves). To wider Cormyr, "Spurbright Steads" is a name for documents and formal negotiations; "Stonebolt Fields" is what everyone uses in daily speech.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

lothiangamer
Acolyte

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2013 :  22:12:33  Show Profile Send lothiangamer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Running a game in Cormyr at the moment and a party is about to head in to the lower hills around the Stormhorns west of Espar. One thing I can't seem to find out is how high the Stormhorns actualy are.
I noticed something about high horn being one of the tallest peaks in the region at 1000 feet (305m). That seems pretty puny for a mountain range.
Is there any other figures available?
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  18:03:06  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Answers to questions regarding Adventuring Charters provided by Brian Cortijo
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I posted the following queries in another thread but decided to get some info from the renowned sages Ed and THO. I'm basically curious about adventuring charters in Cormyr.

1. Groups lose and recruit new members, do the new members have to be declared?
2. As the original group goes into retirement, are other members allowed to retain the charter? In other words, would the charter be allowed to continue in perpetuity?
3. Or, would the charter effectively be void once the final founding member is dead? And, if so, would the charter be renewable by the other members.
4. What are the limits to the charter? Such as limits on number of members or limitations on races allowed.
5. What are their duties (aside from alerting the Crown to possible threats)? Are they REQUIRED, as a stipulation of the charter, to make themselves available for service to the Crown in times of crisis (either with or without pay)?
6. Does the Crown have any obligations to the charter. For instance, would the charter members be allowed certain courtesies (such as the custom of lodging for knights during Medieval times).

Any other information outside those basic questions will, of course, be received with much gratitude.

1. Yes, new members must be declared, in the presence of a local lord or lord commander (such as the Lord Commander of High Horn), or other high officers of the realm.

2. Yes, in certain circumstances. Generally, "new" members not on the original charter must have already been prsented an declared before they are permitted to present and declare new members, so there's no joining up on the road, having the entire company killed off by a dragon, and having the lone newbie trudge back and restart the adventuring band. Only established members can carry on a charter.

3. No. See #2, above. However, a defunct company (that is, a chartered company with no surviving members) can have its name repurposed for a future company. This is the name only; even if the Court will allow the re-use of a name, the Heralds (these being the High Heralds) will not allow the re-use of any badge or heraldry to confuse the two companies with the same name. [See Chapter 9 of Swords of Eveningstar for an example of this phenomenon, when the future Knights of Myth Drannor could not choose for their name the 'Swords of Espar,' because members of that band still lived.]

4. Officially, the limit on membership is capped at 30 (30 is considered the dividing line between "huge adventuring company" and "mercenary company"). Unofficially, the Crown is uncomfortable with adventurers in groups larger than a dozen or so unless they register as mercenaries, because it knows full well the difference between the specialized strike-force nature of a group of adventurers and the masterless army that is a group of mercenaries.

5. Chartered adventurers must report hazards to the Crown, and are considered agents of the Crown when it comes to apprehending unchartered adveturers and unregistered mages. While no one can be pressed into service to the military except in an all-able-bodied-adults situation (like the war with Nalavara), the Crown can draft the charter--and, by extension, anyone named in it. Failure to appear won't result in revokation of the charter, but will prevent those named in the charter from being chartered again. The Crown does this very rarely, primarily with mercenary companies rather than adventuring bands, and always for pay.

6. Basically, the charter allows members to walk about the realm armed and armored, liveried, exploring ruins and facing down monsters without fear of reprisal or subjection to the common laws of salvage and recovery--which is to say: an adventuring band permitted to explore a ruin and coming out with an ancestral crown of a noble can sell that crown back to that noble's family for a hefty fee; a commoner who stumbles upon it can expect to have it demanded back and a small pouch of copper and silver tossed at his feet.

Of course, I assume Ed will have more, but hopefully, this helps.

Some more information about adventurer's charters, mercenary companies, fees, and other, more lofty matters, can be found in my Crowns and Mantles article from Dragon #407.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2013 :  19:10:44  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on Ravrella Truesilver and some brief info as her time as Queen

Enjoy!

Cheers

Damian
Hi again, fellow scribes of Candlekeep. We had 2007 before 2006 owing to technical difficulties, so Ed’s replies to unanswered-until-now queries have now reached 2008, and Nevorick Julahasa’s March 29th post: “Lady THO, in Cormyr: A Novel, Aosinin Truesilver is described as the cousin of King Galaghard III. In regards to this kinship, does this mean Galaghard's mother is a Truesilver? If so, what can Ed share about the Queen such as her name, when she lived, and anything else that she might be remembered for? My Thanks!

Here’s Ed’s reply:

Bryntarth I of Cormyr took to wife Ravrella Truesilver, a raven-haired beauty of short stature, quiet public persona, and utter self-control of her voice and features. Few, even servants who spent much time with her, family, and her (very small handful of close) friends knew many of her thoughts, views, and emotional reactions to things. She was a master of self-control, and decided to remain in the background and publicly mute as much as possible—and so is nigh-forgotten today, having left no mark at all at Court and in Cormyrean society.
Before becoming queen, it’s known that Ravrella Truesilver was a superb rider (and even spearhunter, from horseback), that she enjoyed card games with women of her family and friendly noblewomen, and that she enjoyed reading poetry and fiction of all sorts. She was born in 856 DR, wed Bryntarth in 872 DR, bore him a son, the future Galaghard III, in 873 DR, and thereafter produced two stillborn daughters, Emaerilla in 875 DR (before becoming Queen) and Princess Yestrelle in 879 DR. Ravrella became Queen of Cormyr when her husband ascended to the throne in 875 DR, and died of a winter chill and resulting “multiple fevers or maladies” in 894 DR.
Obscure Court records (of the questioning of one of Queen Ravrella’s friends, Muratha Emmarask, who was briefly suspected of involvement in the hunting death of a popular courtier, Andranras Owlhond) preserve Muratha’s opinion—which is presumably truth, as neither High Wizard Thanderahast nor anyone else disputed it—that Bryntarth and Ravrella first noticed each other as avid and naturally-skilled equestrians, and that they often rode together in the forest, “laughing at play” together.
The royal couple was urbane and controlled in public, but in private were said to be very affectionate with each other and with their son, though neither of them were talkative people. The Queen was observed to spend much daily time watering and arranging flowers in the Royal Palace, and seeing to it that the Court kept track of the births and deaths and birthdays and anniversaries of nobility, and that “suitably gracious and beautiful notes and flowers were sent.”
Ravrella quietly assembled quite a library of chapbooks of poetry during her royal years, and although this was not regarded with respect by later Obarskyrs, and was scattered about the Royal Palace, with many tomes being lost or given away, occasional tomes still turn up in private hands in Suzail or tucked inside some of the “book-hides” (books that contain storage niches for small items, such as keys, gems, rings, and—obviously—small and slender chapbooks of poetry). A few of these finds have annotations in the margins, in Ravrella’s tiny, beautiful handwriting, usually additional lines she composed while inspired by what she was reading, but sometimes cryptic notes such as “Bryn won’t let me forget” and “Hidden in the usual place” or “Wear the mauve mask.”
Some of these notes have led later personages, including Royal Magician Vangerdahast and the Highknight Glarasteer Rhauligan, to suspect that Ravrella’s quiet public exterior hid a naughty or at least avidly-pursuing-intrigues mind. In Elminster’s opinion, “There’s a mystery about Ravrella that’s still to be unraveled, but I doubt it concerns love affairs, treason, magic, or any endangerment of the realm. More likely she and Bryntarth founded their own horse-cult and worshipped in secret, or some such.”

So saith Ed. VERRRY interesting. I have always loved Cormyr and wanted to know more and more about it. I wonder how we can persuade Ed to spill a little bit more here and a little bit more there, while we all still hope to see the Lineage see print?
love to all,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2014 :  06:18:08  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to Forging the Realms article The Rhauligans, that talks about Glarasteer Rhauligan and the Rhauligan family (its origins, history, success in building towers and its fate vis-a-vis the Spellplague).

A must read for any fan of Cormyr, and for fans of some of the lesser known, but every bit as interesting, NPCs of Cormyr.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2014 :  04:05:24  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding the Shieldwall Barons. How deep into the Storm Horns do they live? I'm guessing strategic positions, if possible, in the foothills or near the mountain range edge? Some in more dangerous areas or "hotspots" of raiders etc. I was always under the impression that a few miles into the mountains becomes monster and orc territory. And the whole border fort is to stem the flow of those beasties from getting down into Cormyr proper.

And just another quick clarification. Shieldwall Barons are posted on the inside of the mountain ranges that surround Cormyr? And possibly on the western side of the Storm Horns?

Thanks. :)

Edited by - Eilserus on 15 Apr 2014 04:06:17
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  12:13:03  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Regarding the Shieldwall Barons. How deep into the Storm Horns do they live? I'm guessing strategic positions, if possible, in the foothills or near the mountain range edge? Some in more dangerous areas or "hotspots" of raiders etc. I was always under the impression that a few miles into the mountains becomes monster and orc territory. And the whole border fort is to stem the flow of those beasties from getting down into Cormyr proper.

And just another quick clarification. Shieldwall Barons are posted on the inside of the mountain ranges that surround Cormyr? And possibly on the western side of the Storm Horns?

Thanks. :)

Hello fellow Scribe Eilserus,

I cannot help you with this one. Maybe another scribe will provide you with the anwser you seek.

However, you might want to bring this question to Ed himself in his scroll here at the Keep. To find Eds scroll you have to look for the 'Chamber of Sages' - only a few doors down the way.

Good Gaming, Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2014 :  12:25:52  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Here is a link to Forging the Realms article The Rhauligans, that talks about Glarasteer Rhauligan and the Rhauligan family (its origins, history, success in building towers and its fate vis-a-vis the Spellplague).

A must read for any fan of Cormyr, and for fans of some of the lesser known, but every bit as interesting, NPCs of Cormyr.

Thanks for the support, Jeremy. I added the link to the list on the first post.

Ergdusch

P.S.: BTW, Jeremy, what happened to your poject at Loremaster.org? The urls are off target...

Edited by - Ergdusch on 19 Apr 2014 14:36:38
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  02:30:38  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loremaster went down again and the recovery process has been slow since Matt James and Co are working hard on Red Aegis.

Things will return to normal eventually and I hope to get back to lore collecting and posting, especially since the project had helped with some recently published Realms work.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  05:47:13  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Loremaster went down again and the recovery process has been slow since Matt James and Co are working hard on Red Aegis.

Things will return to normal eventually and I hope to get back to lore collecting and posting, especially since the project had helped with some recently published Realms work.

Thats good news. I'm looking forward to it. Let us know, when all is back to normal.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 22 Apr 2014 05:48:45
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  06:19:21  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I am trying to catch up with all the new stuff I have not read yet, I came across another DDi Forging the Realms arctilce by Ed Greenwood: Hidden Holds of the Realms.

It brings us news about retreats built in various backcountry and wilderness places in the Realms, two of them located in Cormyr, Draegur High and Marpethgates. If you want to read more about it, follow the link above.

You will find that link on the list in the first post, too, of course.

Good gaming, Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  09:15:31  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Regarding the Shieldwall Barons. How deep into the Storm Horns do they live?
There are a couple posts starting here that may (or may not) be of some help.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  07:04:45  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Garen Thal on winters in Arabel, snow removal and Purple Dragons

-Snows in Arabel aren't heavy enough to dump four or five feet of snow on the ground. A foot or two, though, is more than possible. Let's go with that assumption.

-Snow removal in heavy winter is performed by two primary groups: soldiers and convicts sentenced to heavy labor (other duties can include breaking rocks, dredging rivers, and--for those that can be trusted--clearing sewers). They are usually sufficient to the tasks.

-Barrels already exist for collecting rainwater, but pure (upper layer) snow is also dumped into wells and used for washing.

-The Dragons drill, patrol the walls and streets more heavily, clear snow (first from city streets, then from roofs and eaves, then again from the streets, and then roads out of the city, etc.), and basically work to do two things: make the city passable, and make it defensible.

-Many local Purple Dragons are truly local, rather than living in the Citadel, and their homes are spread out enough to accommodate for the need. But the Crown also keeps some locations spread out around the city, as well.

I'll let Ed cover what he can of the rest, or the Hooded Lady chime in. They do know a bit more about Arabel than I do, after all.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  07:05:31  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A follow up from Ed on Arabel in the wintertime

And hi again, fellow scribes! Herewith, Ed of the Greenwood opining on winter in Arabel, for Jeremy, xaeyruudh and us all:

Ah, great questions, and great spot-on, take-as-canon-gospel answers from Garen Thal, as always!
Here we go with what I can add . . .
First off, there have been no significant recent changes to either the weather or how it’s locally handled, nor did the Spellplague do much more in this regard than give Arabel an unusually wet winter when it first hit.

Some warehouses in Arabel get used as living quarters by merchant costers that own them, and others are rented out (room by room) to anyone wintering over in Arabel by their owners. Note that costers like to have live-in staffers throughout the winters so that these inhabitants deter thieves, vandals, and arsonists somewhat by their very presence.

There’s no buying rush, because Arabel has always been “the granary of the North” for the common folk of Cormyr (the Purple Dragons and other government arms use the fortified Dragon bases and local lords’ dwellings/compounds for granary purposes), so its cellars and attics (as opposed to mercantile warehouses) have always been used for constant storage, turning over the oldest wares to make room for the new.
The only “rush” is to bring in and pile up aged (dried for a season to three) firewood inside the walls (literally, along the insides of the city walls) before the deepest snows accumulate; one way to keep warm in winter, when the wolves and blizzards aren’t bad, is to fell and split the “green” firewood for later winters).
So there are no local festivals, beyond the widely-observed High Harvesttide and every-tenday special prayers led by the clergy of Chauntea and Silvanus, which go by the collective title of “the Gathering In.”

Thanks to the effects of drunken carousing (i.e. brawls, lechery, and even the occasional fire) inns and taverns in Arabel prefer to host lone minstrels or bardic trios at most, and leave plays and pageants and what we might term “concerts” or “variety shows/vaudeville/music hall” night-long sequences of many acts (comedians, clowns, singers, actors, orators) to other venues, which are almost always repurposed warehouses (many of which are owned by inn and tavern owners).
Several local merchants, including (in the later 1400s DR) the ever-smiling, slender, neatly-bearded Maerammus Arkithral, serve as panderers in winter, acquiring bed-talented lads and lasses (or good singers, or artists skilled at limning portraits) during their fall runs and employing them in Arabel throughout the winter (this goes on in Suzail, too, but costs there are higher and therefore profits lower). The artists often, when not doing portraits, paint endless variations of striking landscapes, bold dragons, and what we might term “good girl art” ranging to outright porn, for sale elsewhere, after the winter, on merchant runs throughout the Heartlands.
And yes, some merchants and other warehouse owners decamp for warmer climes, renting out their properties in Arabel until their return in spring.

Hope these answers help. On rare occasions, there are deep snows in Arabel, but strong winds are far more common winter nuisances/perils.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  07:54:19  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here may be found a scroll collecting in one place all of the named rooms in the Royal Palace of the Purple Dragon.

The list is alphabetized, and each entry notes the source(s) the name came from, as well as some minor information about each room.

If you see rooms not listed, please post in that thread and give us a heads up.

Thank you!

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 31 Aug 2014 07:55:18
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  05:15:26  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on Lomdath's, a shop in Arabel

Ah, Lomdath's. Its front room, walled in mirrors and full of elegant gowns on headless dummies, is one of the glittering "places to be seen" for social climbers and the upper crust among females in Arabel. On a dare, Torm once bought a red frilly backless and plunge-front number that was more or less (mainly less ) his size off one of those dummies, put it on, and went for a walk to visit six or seven of the priciest shops in Arabel. Casing all of them for later middle-of-the-night visits, of course.
And that's about all I know about the place. Ed will of course provide, in the fullness of time.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 08 Sep 2014 07:15:33
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000