Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Jazirian dead?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Valaxaxath
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2007 :  23:55:26  Show Profile  Visit Valaxaxath's Homepage Send Valaxaxath a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Say it aint so , and if it is... in which source book is it listed?

When you're not regular, eat an elf! They're full of fiber.

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2007 :  10:58:20  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jazirian is the former god of couatls and was Slain by Merrshaulk

(Greenwood, Ed; Eric L. Boyd and Darrin Drader (2004). Serpent Kingdoms. Wizards of the Coast)

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2007 :  23:47:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, he died quite some time ago in the Realms.

That doesn't mean he doesn't still have incarnations running around in other spheres or planes.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2007 :  23:56:47  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right. In 2nd edition terms, this would mean that the "Realmsian" aspect was destroyed, and thus unable to manifest in the Realms again, and in 3rd edition parlance, it would mean that the Jazirian from Faerun's alternate dimention was dead, but other alternate versions still exist.
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  01:20:55  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But Jazirian does still oversee Oruboros?

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  03:04:12  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure she oversees anything. The Ouroboros is a composite of multiple deities, including her.
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  03:05:56  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

I'm not sure she oversees anything. The Ouroboros is a composite of multiple deities, including her.

Well shiet.

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  07:48:40  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valaxaxath

If worse comes to worse, a 3.5ed cleric in the Realms may take the Servant of the Fallen feat and worship Jazirian, even get spells. When you die, however, Kelemvor will judge you Faithless and stick you in the Wall.
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  16:53:51  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:

If worse comes to worse, a 3.5ed cleric in the Realms may take the Servant of the Fallen feat and worship Jazirian, even get spells. When you die, however, Kelemvor will judge you Faithless and stick you in the Wall.

That sounds horrible. How can he judge you Faithless, who is he, and what is the wall?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  18:20:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Daniels

quote:

quote:

That sounds horrible. How can he judge you Faithless, who is he, and what is the wall?

A rabbit hole of issues you really don't want to go down!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  18:59:23  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh dear

A rabbit hole of issues you really don't want to go down!

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  19:10:50  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kelemvor is Faerun's death god.
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  19:50:41  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Faerun, Toril, or all Realmspace?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  22:14:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Per Ed himself:

quote:
Kelemvor’s clergy will tell you that Kelemvor governs the fate of all souls. However, this is (honestly believed by those who say it) church propaganda. In other words, it isn’t true; the truth is that Kelemvor can’t even keep up with judging all Faerûnian pantheon=worshipping human souls. So, yes, the souls of nonhuman beings go to other judges and judgments, some souls get lost and “wander,” and humans who worship the Mulhorandi pantheon or other deities not of Toril encounter other judges. It seems to vary on a case-by-case basis, which really means mortals are struggling to understand the afterlife, and various faiths are attempting to provide answers which likely have more to do with reassurance and doctrine than reality. Or to put it in the very apt words of a real-world faith: “It’s a mystery.”
#Realmslore

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  22:18:43  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's the death power of the main Faerunian pantheon. Other cultures have their own death gods.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  22:42:27  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Scribe Shawn Daniels,
We have a recent scroll in Chat called "Why the Wall of the Faithless?" started by Scribe keftiu. I recommend that scroll to address your questions and also to demonstrate how deep a rabbit hole the Wall really is. Wooly was NOT exaggerating.
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  23:00:45  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Scribe Shawn Daniels,
We have a recent scroll in Chat called "Why the Wall of the Faithless?" started by Scribe keftiu. I recommend that scroll to address your questions and also to demonstrate how deep a rabbit hole the Wall really is. Wooly was NOT exaggerating.

I shan’t tell tales, fellow scribe, I feel a quivering in my loins indicative of fear and the release of bodily fluids both viscous and not, but damn this infernal trembling, dread or no I shall pursue knowledge even unto death itself! Pray for my safe return, and pray that I return not only in one piece but enlightened all the more! I bid thee farewell brave Brothers and Sisters in Lore. This may be the last you see of me, but it won’t be the last you hear of me! Onward ho, OGHMA GUIDE ME!

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2020 :  04:15:49  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Faerûnian pantheon, like most others, is limited in worship spread/influence boundaries.
But actual access normally is sphere-wide, i.e. when priests of any deity from Faerûnian, Mulhorandian, etc pantheons visit e.g. Anadia, generally they have no problem whatsoever with functioning as priests.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2020 :  13:21:42  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

quote:

Faerûnian pantheon, like most others, is limited in worship spread/influence boundaries.
But actual access normally is sphere-wide, i.e. when priests of any deity from Faerûnian, Mulhorandian, etc pantheons visit e.g. Anadia, generally they have no problem whatsoever with functioning as priests.

I am humbled that you deign to share your knowledge with your fellow scholar. Many thanks, brother(or sister, I attempt no offense of thy person).

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2020 :  23:57:01  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Per Ed himself:

quote:
Kelemvor’s clergy will tell you that Kelemvor governs the fate of all souls. However, this is (honestly believed by those who say it) church propaganda. In other words, it isn’t true; the truth is that Kelemvor can’t even keep up with judging all Faerûnian pantheon=worshipping human souls. So, yes, the souls of nonhuman beings go to other judges and judgments, some souls get lost and “wander,” and humans who worship the Mulhorandi pantheon or other deities not of Toril encounter other judges. It seems to vary on a case-by-case basis, which really means mortals are struggling to understand the afterlife, and various faiths are attempting to provide answers which likely have more to do with reassurance and doctrine than reality. Or to put it in the very apt words of a real-world faith: “It’s a mystery.”
#Realmslore

-Huh. He's pretty useless when you think about it, then.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2020 :  14:43:18  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Per Ed himself:

quote:
#Realmslore

Cool, I was the one who asked him that question on Twitter.

To further add to this topic, is it possible that Jazirian isn’t entirely dead but still in the Realms as Qotal? They both have similar portfolios and deal with couatls.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2020 :  15:30:15  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

quote:

Per Ed himself:

quote:
#Realmslore

Cool, I was the one who asked him that question on Twitter.

To further add to this topic, is it possible that Jazirian isn’t entirely dead but still in the Realms as Qotal? They both have similar portfolios and deal with couatls.

There is nothing really canonical that I know of regarding the origins of the Maztican deities. Personally, I assume (and this is the lore I run with my group) that they are transplants of the Aztec pantheon whose avatars came to Realmspace much like the Ptah driven Mulhorandi from Egypt. The reasons behind their arrival I have never explored.

Then again, Qotal’s heralds are couatls and Jazirian too is heavily connected to them. I’d like to think Qotal assumed their reverence though after Jazirians demise. The couatls found a divine presence that fit their outlook and even appearance well.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 28 May 2020 15:34:02
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2020 :  01:04:12  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jazirian is presented as living in 2e Planescape, and with deities, reported deaths are not necessarily that of the main body (avatars) nor are they necessarily permanent.

Jazirian is presented in Serpent Kingdoms as a separate deity from Qotal, though that doesn't discount the possibility that one is an aspect (albeit a divergent aspect with its own soul and personality) split off from the other.

Asmodeus might have a personal history with Jazirian that might drive him to help Jazirian be revived in the case of actual death (on a personal whim rather than any altruistic motivation), but that's just speculation based on an analysis of reference in Guide to Hell.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Edited by - Storyteller Hero on 29 May 2020 01:04:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000