Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Seeking Info Re: the Barony of the Steeping Falls
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maelstrom58
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2007 :  01:17:09  Show Profile  Visit maelstrom58's Homepage Send maelstrom58 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The only entries I can find are in Lost Empires of Faerun, pp137-138. I am interested in learning more about the place, as it was apparently founded by a Shoon exile; can anyone point me to a source detailing it any further?

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2007 :  01:38:36  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The name "Steeping Falls" originated in Ed's article in Dragon #227 entitled "An Athalantan Campaign".

I built on this in Lost Empires, City of Splendors: Waterdeep (look at the vampires section in the People chapter), and Dungeon #126-#128. It's linked to the backstory I wrote for the Vampires of Waterdeep trilogy.

There's not a lot, but there are the hints of a vanished castle whose extensive catacombs still exist, deep beneath the town of Daggerford.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 20 Mar 2007 01:40:52
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2007 :  01:47:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recall, aside from a brief mention in the first volume of the Bestiary of the Realms, and a few tidbits in Krash's 'The North Timeline', Eric and George's work in Lost Empires of Faerūn remains the more detailed source. There was the brief [and original] mention in Ed's 'Athalantan Campaign' article from DRAGON #227.

Eric also dropped a few tidbits about Artor Morlin and the Steeping Falls in CoS:W under the 'Vampires' section on pg. 59.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Mar 2007 01:53:07
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2007 :  01:50:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Confound it!

Eric got to it before I did...

Ah well.

Go to Top of Page

maelstrom58
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2007 :  16:08:25  Show Profile  Visit maelstrom58's Homepage Send maelstrom58 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most excellent. Thanks Mr. Boyd (or would you prefer Eric?), Sage for your very quick and complete replies!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2007 :  20:31:46  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maelstrom58

Most excellent. Thanks Mr. Boyd (or would you prefer Eric?), Sage for your very quick and complete replies!

Eric is fine.

Glad to be of help.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2007 :  22:57:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your welcome Mael.

I just wish I'd beaten Eric to the post!

Go to Top of Page

maelstrom58
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  00:11:37  Show Profile  Visit maelstrom58's Homepage Send maelstrom58 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have one last question, Sage: Is Mr. Krash's 'Timeline of the North' on Candlekeep somewhere? I can't seem to find it.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  00:20:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No. You'll find Krash's North timeline stored on Eric's website.

Go to Top of Page

maelstrom58
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  01:02:49  Show Profile  Visit maelstrom58's Homepage Send maelstrom58 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, many thanks, Sage.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  07:34:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I caution you that some of the dates were moved around in "Lost Empires of Faerūn". That latter source is the definitive dating - at leat until "Grand History of the Realms" comes out in September. With extra bits too!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

maelstrom58
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  21:56:20  Show Profile  Visit maelstrom58's Homepage Send maelstrom58 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Duly noted, Mr. (George if you prefer) Krashos. By the way, thanks for the excellent timeline!

As for "Grand History," I am definitely going to have to get it
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2017 :  17:08:09  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is something wrong with locations given for the Barony of Steeping Falls and Morlin Castle. Ed's Athalantar write up in Dragon says that Morlin Castle is on the eastern edge of Halangorn Forest and that forest was between Elembar and the Horn Hills. But everywhere else seems to point Morlin Castle to the current site of Daggerford, which looks to be much farther downstream than the location described by Ed. Any ideas on if I'm missing something or if not how to resolve this conflict.

--Zoomable Map of Faerun--
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2017 :  08:51:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perlmugp

There is something wrong with locations given for the Barony of Steeping Falls and Morlin Castle. Ed's Athalantar write up in Dragon says that Morlin Castle is on the eastern edge of Halangorn Forest and that forest was between Elembar and the Horn Hills. But everywhere else seems to point Morlin Castle to the current site of Daggerford, which looks to be much farther downstream than the location described by Ed. Any ideas on if I'm missing something or if not how to resolve this conflict.

Ed's Athalantar article says: "At the eastern end of the Halangorn Forest, on the north bank of the Delimbiyr, stood Morlin Castle ..."

How does that not gel with the location of Daggerford?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2017 :  13:22:48  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's article also says: "The wood they destroyed had been known as Halangorn Forest, and it separated Elembar from the Horn Hills"

Elembar and the Horn Hills are both east of Ardeep Forest, Daggerford is south of Ardeep. By the descriptions in this article Daggerford should be much farther east.

--Zoomable Map of Faerun--
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2017 :  17:35:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, Daggerford is south east of the Ardeep Forest, but I can see where you are coming from. The problem is that Ed's article makes it clear that Morlin Castle is a "crossroads" between the areas north and south of the Delimbiyr. To place it further east puts it right into the Sword Hills, which wouldn't make it a crossroads at all. That's why Eric made the decision to place it at the site of Daggerford all the way back when we were musing about the Fallen Kingdom in 1998 (nearly 20 years ago!). And technically there is no conflict. Later published lore trumps older published lore. The site of Daggerford/Morlin Castle is confirmed in several 3E sources. But if that doesn't satisfy you, I'd love to see what you come up with as an explanation for the confusion. Cheers.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2020 :  17:48:04  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Sage,

Any chance you have an updated link for this site? I would really like to check that out! :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

No. You'll find Krash's North timeline stored on Eric's website.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000