Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 On the Lords of Waterdeep...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  23:45:35  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
While I was rifling through my myriad of Waterdeep sources, documents, and references, I can across areference that has been driving me nuts. Now, in the courcebook from 2e, The City of Splendors there are eight Lords listed. The other eight are left blank for the DM to add as they desire (nice of them to do that, huh?). Now, here's the part that has been bugging me, in the book The Siege, by Troy Denning, a reference is made to a Lord not in the above mentioned sourcebook, Deliah the White (The Siege, Chapter 2, page 32). Now, being meticulous about my information and reference as I am, I am curious if anyone else has heard reference of this Lord anywhere else? The way I see it, there are four possible explanation, (1) she replaced one fo the Lords who resigned sine CoS was printed, (2) she's one of the eight unidentified Lords in the sourcebook, (3) she was tacked on by Wizards, or (4) she was tacked on by Troy Denning to drive me insane. Now, this is likely just one of those annoying author created anomalies meant to drive me mad and that will never be explained to my satisfaction, but I must know if any other references have been made, no matter how obscure. I am neurotic, and I must know!

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  04:28:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are no references to Delia in the published gaming material. I'm guessing that this one is out of Troy's fevered imagination. God forbid that he should pick one from the list ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  05:44:40  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's what I was expecting, but i had to ask. I mean it's so hard to review the primary source for information regarding the damn city before makign reference to some of it's most powerful and notable residents...not that I don't like Denning's work, but I hate little things like this, they drive me crazy. I pride myself on my accurate knowledge of the City of Splendors, and now everything is being messed up...

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"

Edited by - Edain Shadowstar on 29 Apr 2003 00:02:44
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  10:32:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

Edain,

With access to every single product published about the Forgotten Realms, I can say for certain that there is no mention made of Deliah the White. It is therefore as George Krashos stated -
quote:
I'm guessing that this one is out of Troy's fevered imagination.

Edain said -
quote:
THat's what I was expecting, but i had to ask. I mean it's so hard to review the primary source for information regarding the damn city before makign reference to some of it's most powerful and notable residents...not that I don't like Denning's work, but I hate little things like this, they drive me crazy. I pride myself on my accurate knowledge of the City of Splendors, and now everything is being messed up...
This is probably THE most annoying aspect of WotC's publication of 3e FR products. I sometimes think like you that the only reason these anomalies exist is to burst the bubble of pride we have on "knowing" everything about the Realms.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2003 :  00:05:20  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's what I was afraid of. Prior to 3e I had flushed out most of the details of Waterdeep left open, as well as assembling one of the most complete libraries of information about the City of Splendors. Now, Wizards is screwing it up...<sighs>...I guess I will have deal...but so help me God, if they do a Watrerdeep Sourcebook in 3e and they screw up...VENGENCE!!!! AIEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2003 :  01:09:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
but so help me God, if they do a Watrerdeep Sourcebook in 3e and they screw up...VENGENCE!!!! AIEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Get ready. While it's still some time off, with the publicaition of the novel by Elaine Cunningham and Ed Greenwood detailing Waterdeep's history, a sourcebook will no doubt come along at the same time featuring the City of Spelndors.
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2003 :  21:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack:

While it's still some time off, with the publicaition of the novel by Elaine Cunningham and Ed Greenwood detailing Waterdeep's history, a sourcebook will no doubt come along at the same time featuring the City of Spelndors.
Actually, I am rather looking forward to the nivel, since i have a great deal of confidence Ed Greenwood will not screw up on a city he created...but then again, George Lucas did screw up Star Wars twenty years later...

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2003 :  22:33:48  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if worse comes to worse, just change the story of YOUR campaign. I don't think every FR game is alike.

And if you don't like her, Kill her Off. I have killed some realms characters over the years, (No one Majour) and if they apear in novels again, I replace the character in the novel with someone alive, for my campaign lore. THis has kept me from Years of stress, otherwise I would be sounding like Edain right now.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2018 :  04:37:39  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Sage,

I love that statement you made regarding the Masked Lord of Waterdeep, Deliah:

quote:
This is probably THE most annoying aspect of WotC's publication of 3e FR products. I sometimes think like you that the only reason these anomalies exist is to burst the bubble of pride we have on "knowing" everything about the Realms.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Greetings,

Edain,

With access to every single product published about the Forgotten Realms, I can say for certain that there is no mention made of Deliah the White. It is therefore as George Krashos stated -
quote:
I'm guessing that this one is out of Troy's fevered imagination.

Edain said -
quote:
THat's what I was expecting, but i had to ask. I mean it's so hard to review the primary source for information regarding the damn city before makign reference to some of it's most powerful and notable residents...not that I don't like Denning's work, but I hate little things like this, they drive me crazy. I pride myself on my accurate knowledge of the City of Splendors, and now everything is being messed up...

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms lore needs

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000