Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Riding Lizard: Name?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  04:41:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've searched everywhere, and I can't find a name for the ones the Drow ride into battle. All sources just list them as 'Riding Lizard'. Also, the entry for Riding Lizard in the FRCS book is not the one for the Drow. The one described their says it walks upright, light a Velociraptor, and the Drow lizards from Mr. Salvatore's books are more like giant Komodo Dragons.

I know the novels had a name for these things, but I don't have any of those books handy. Anyone know what it was?

Thanx ----- Mark

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  05:39:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I've searched everywhere, and I can't find a name for the ones the Drow ride into battle. All sources just list them as 'Riding Lizard'. Also, the entry for Riding Lizard in the FRCS book is not the one for the Drow. The one described their says it walks upright, light a Velociraptor, and the Drow lizards from Mr. Salvatore's books are more like giant Komodo Dragons.

I know the novels had a name for these things, but I don't have any of those books handy. Anyone know what it was?

Thanx ----- Mark

The FRC writers decided to ignore RAS stuff and make the drows mounts 2 legged velciraptors type creatures, this poped up late 2005 when a mounted Drow patrol mini that appeared in the Underdark set

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/underdark_gallery/Mounted_Drow_Patrol.jpg

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  07:32:08  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I checked in the old Menzoberranzan box set, and the bipedal lizard is the only one I found there. I seem to remember seeing a four legged variant somewhere ( I am not even sure it is FR), but I am not sure if it was named.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  07:41:14  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Baenre Weapons master rides a 4 legged Lizard in Starless Nights when Drizzt escapes the city

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 28 Jan 2007 07:41:40
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  13:55:23  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have done some searching and from what I have found out the lizard is simply called Subterranean lizard. Drow of the Underdark mentions this as the most common steed of the drow. It can be found under Lizard in the Monstrous Manual or Monster Compendium II. Both 2ed. I should ad. Unless it is in one of Salvatore's novels there does not seem to be another name.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  14:24:46  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not recall the lizards having a specific name as to type.
One could use a Drow translator though.

lizard - tizzin
rider - ur'thal
burden - maunech
trade - mei'q
transport - 1 colara' 2 colare'

Hmm, Drow dicionary is limited. The riding lizard could be caller rider lizard - ur'thal tizzin
The pack lizard (which is the one that always walks on four legs might be called:
burden lizard - maunech tizzin
trade lizard - mei'q tizzin
transport lizard - colara' tizzin

I belive trade lizard might be best, burden was considered because the lizard would often carry a burden, transport was considered because lizard is used to transport items (however lizards also transport people).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  16:34:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your responses.

I've decided that the ones used in Menzoberrazen are probably a hybrid between the much larger and heavier pack lizard, and the smaller more agile riding lizard. I have the boxed set, and the pack lizard actually has a better bite attack, but the riding lizard also gets two claw attacks.

It was suggested over at WotC that I throw the warbeast template fromMM2 on the pack lizard. I'm thinking of doing that, and giving this new hybrid the claw attacks from the two-legged version. This will give me something that is close to the one in Mr.Salvatore's books and be something unique to Menzoberranzan. I could call them Thalack Tizzin (Battle Lizard).

I still could of sworn that the lizards themselves had a specific name. One of Matron Baenre's sons rode one into battle against Mithril Hall, and I also remember Drizzt having to fight someone (that same son?) on the ceiling/wall of the city's cavern or in nearby caves when he was escaping with Cati-Brie. Unfortunately all of my novels are in storage so I can't check them.

I could of sworn there was a name, though.....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Feb 2012 19:37:42
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  19:26:38  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do recall there was a pack lizard as well as the riding lizard. Do not ask me for source right now. I was looking for what to name a riding lizard. Ideas welcomed.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  20:34:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right.

The idea I got was that the standard 'Riding Lizard' was 2-legged, like this, and the there was also a pack-animal type, more like standard lizard. Ergo, the war-lizard would be more dino-like, and the 'work horse' creature would be more a standard reptile.

My theory was that Menzo bred a specific type or warbeast - maybe a crossbreed of the other two - that walked on four legs, with suction-cup like feet so it could cling to surfaces (which is something the pack-animal type did, I think, but not the standard battle-lizard).

And I never did get a name for these things, although I am sure one must have been used somewhere.

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Feb 2012 20:35:24
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  22:56:35  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if you are looking for a drow word or a MM entry. The 3e Drow of the Underdark lists the Quicksilver Lizard as a favored drow mount. A "velociraptor-type" with sticky pads on it's feet.

This big, silvery lizard stands on two hind powerful hind legs, balanced by a short tail. It has a pair of small forearms that end in sharp claws. A diamond-shaped head filled with sharp teeth perches atop
a long, slender neck.
pp 133

Also listed there are the Footpad and Subterranean varieties, both seeming more suited as pack animals,although the Footpad lizard could be a viable war-beast.

edit: A closer look at the three breeds of lizard presented there reveals that none, not even the Footpad can "mechanically" climb walls and ceilings. The Footpad is described as having "sucker-like discs" and the Quicksilver gets +8 to Climb checks.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 21 Feb 2012 23:19:50
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  00:03:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for help.

Decided to name the riding Lizard, personal mount, as Mirshann.

Side note: Starting to feel old, I did not know I posted to this thread a few years ago.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  13:05:37  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved the idea of lizards climbing ceilings and walls. I just assumed the rider cast spider climb on the mount.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  15:20:43  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

I loved the idea of lizards climbing ceilings and walls. I just assumed the rider cast spider climb on the mount.

No spell, it has to be a natural ability. Being 100 foot up and spell effect stops is rather fatal. I picture it as a combination of claws clinging and adhesive pads. Use of both most of the time, pads only on surfaces that claws can not dig into.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  15:57:00  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Markus pointed out in the OP, Pack Lizard from the FRCS can walk on vertical or upside down surfaces while carrying a light load. It doesn't specifically say the same is true for the Riding Lizard, but I assume so. This is the only source I can find and I checked all official relevant ones, even the RAS books, Markus, but no mention is made anywhere of a drow word for them.

Lizard, Pack: Related to the giant lizards found in some surfacelands, this creature averages 15 feet long (plus tail) and 5 feet wide. The sticky pads on its feet allow it to walk freely over most floors, walls, and ceilings in the subterranean tunnels of the Underdark. Drow and other intelligent races of the Underdark frequently use the pack lizard as a beast of burden. A light load for one of these creatures is 800 pounds, a medium load is 1,600 pounds, and a heavy load is 2,400 pounds. On slopes between 45 and 90 degrees, the pack lizard can carry up to a medium load without falling. On slopes beyond the vertical (that is, when the lizard is upside-down), it can carry a light load without falling.

Lizard, Riding: The riding lizard walks upright, much like the deinonychus, or velociraptor. It attacks with a powerful bite and two small forectaws, but does not leap or rake its foes. Like the pack lizard, it can walk on walls or ceilings, so it is the general steed of intelligent races in the Underdark. A light load for a riding lizard is 233 pounds or less, a medium load is 234 to 466 pounds, and a heavy load is 467 to 700 pounds.

FRCS pp 309-310

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2012 :  10:51:00  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In AD&D2 sources there were two:
1) lean and mean "riding lizard" that can leap and run on the rear legs with a light load (obviously, if there's enough of space).
2) huge, not aggressive (but tough and always ready to slightly vary its diet) "pack lizard", aka "subterranean lizard". It also can be used on surface as long as there's warm enough at least part of the day.
Both can walk ceilings, unless overburdened.
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I'm not sure if you are looking for a drow word or a MM entry. The 3e Drow of the Underdark lists the Quicksilver Lizard
The critter mostly fits the bill, but it's not FR source.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2012 :  17:10:06  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why don't you simply call them all "Timmy"? So, if your mount dies, you just need to say "We're going to need another Timmy!"

Sorry, couldn't help it!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  18:12:54  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, it was right in web enhancement.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  01:41:21  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which web enhancement, TBeholder (or anybody else)? It seems as if WotC obliterated their archives again. I am considering a raptor riding halfling.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  01:53:07  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mods, is it possible to extract the address from the coding in TBeholder's last post? If I can find out which web enhancement, perhaps I can find it on the Wayback or something

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 02 Aug 2014 01:55:10
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  02:31:33  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mods, is it possible to extract the address from the coding in TBeholder's last post? If I can find out which web enhancement, perhaps I can find it on the Wayback or something

You mean this: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040313a

In Chrome, right click the link, and select "Copy Link Address."

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 02 Aug 2014 02:32:19
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  09:46:48  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine the source you were thinking of is the old Menzo boxed set. At the end of the first book it had MC entries for 'Lizard, Subteranean' and 'Riding Lizard'
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  12:45:22  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Delwa, I'm getting 404 Critical Error from that link

MM, I'm not finding anything like a web enhancement for the old Menzo

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 02 Aug 2014 12:49:42
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  12:52:16  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Delwa, I'm getting 404 Critical Error from that link

MM, I'm not finding anything like a web enhancement for the old Menzo

Me too. It's just the long form of the address TBeholder posted. I plugged it into the Wayback Machine and the search said it's been saved several times, but I'm having trouble getting the results to display on my mobile.

Edit If someone can tell me the name of the specific web enhancement, I have most of them printed at home. I can check when I get home tonight and find the information for you.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 02 Aug 2014 12:57:23
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  13:24:37  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is not a web enhancement. The MC was in the original box... I don't think web enhancements existed back then :P. If you have the set, it will be the final pages of book 1 (pages 91 and 92).

You may also be interested in Zhakar lizards, the Dragonlance equivalent creatures. They were written up on page 124 of Dwarven Kingdoms of Krynn.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  15:26:09  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Web Enhancements: Player's Guide to Faerun - Monster Update.
On the wayback Machine (web.archive.org/web/20130531114012/www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040313a).

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  15:59:22  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wayback machine tells me it doesnt have that one... anyone else get that?
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  16:05:22  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wayback machine tells me it doesnt have that one... anyone else get that?
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  16:29:43  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get the link TBeholder posted, and it works fine, but when I try looking for the zip file at the download link, I do get a message telling me they don't have it.

Edit

This seems to be it, thank you Google.

- Delwa Aunglor

Edited by - Delwa on 02 Aug 2014 16:47:46
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000