Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Lost Uthgardt tribes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dorn
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2006 :  16:01:08  Show Profile  Visit dorn's Homepage Send dorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,

Reading up about the uthgardt tribes and its mentioned in various places that the tribes seem to change throughout time. There are 9 or so now but some have become lost, and some may return (probably only those with surviving totem beasts).

Does anyone know the names/creatures of some of those tribes which are not currently existing?

Cheers lads and ladies

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2006 :  18:43:16  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The two lost tribes are the Red Ponies and the Golden Eagles. Both became grimlocks and now live in a place called (I believe) the Cavern of Cloven Heads.

That's in addition to the Blues Bear tribe, who appear to be completely extinct (sort of), killed off in the destruction of Hellgate Keep and its aftermath. In Son of Thunder, I reveal one survivor, one who left the tribe some time before its ruin.

Edited by - Murray Leeder on 05 Apr 2006 18:45:33
Go to Top of Page

dorn
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  13:54:09  Show Profile  Visit dorn's Homepage Send dorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice one. Thanks for the info Murray. Much appreciated.

I've seen reference to there sometimes being more than 10 sometines being less. How do you see that happening? (if it was inf fact canon) A tribless family finds and worships a totem beast such as the golden eagles (giant?)/red ponies?......or there are other great beasts that uthgar conquered/allied with that we do not yet know about.

Hazard a guess mate? :)
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2006 :  01:27:49  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Murray Leeder

The two lost tribes are the Red Ponies and the Golden Eagles. Both became grimlocks and now live in a place called (I believe) the Cavern of Cloven Heads.

This is correct, as noted in DDGttU.

However, if I had it to do over again (i.e. a suggestion for your campaign), I'd consider "underfolk" from Races of Destiny instead.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

dorn
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2006 :  03:53:57  Show Profile  Visit dorn's Homepage Send dorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*nods* Yes it would seem that underfolk are more appropriate as they are humans...but only if we think of normal evolution i guess. After 1200 years (mid 500s about right since they fled beneath the One Stone?) down there the wierd magic of the underdark could have mutated them into non-human grimlocks.

Another quick question. In terms of making a 'Champion of Uthgar'. What's your thoughts on the build/PrCs etc? I'm almost thinking you wouldn't have a champion of uthgar as they venerate him through the totem beasts. SO you'd have a champion of the beast adopting similar traits to the animal as well.....rather than only to uthgar himself.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2006 :  11:03:28  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Uthgar himself is a Barbarian/Ranger 20/20. So how about using that for a "build," and have the totem-animal as animal companion? (Although, in the case of the Thunderbeast tribe this could be a problem *grins*

*looks at post* Sweet Sune! I found a use for the deity-stats!!

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2006 :  11:06:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

HERETIC! BLASPHEMER! *runs out of breath from all the cursing*

Additionally, the totem barbarian from Unearthed Arcana[also available here] fits Uthgardt very well, IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2006 :  14:12:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Mother of Lurue, I didn't think that was possible!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  11:27:59  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is any further lore about how the two Lost Tribes of the Uthgar went underground and turned themselves into grimlocks? And why two of the three tribes that went underground were from the same ancestral mound, but only the Sky Pony didn't descend into the Underdark?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 15 Mar 2011 10:55:18
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2014 :  22:17:56  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*casts raise thread* Sorry but maybe Barastir's inquiry didn't get noticed. Valid questions all. This would be one of those areas where the existing lore could be expanded upon and the missing bits fleshed out.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2014 :  22:40:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not aware of any such lore, myself...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  00:05:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

There is any further lore about how the two Lost Tribes of the Uthgar went underground and turned themselves into grimlocks? And why two of the three tribes that went underground were from the same ancestral mound, but only the Sky Pony didn't descend into the Underdark?

Not yet, but I suspect Eric and I will dabble on this topic and the Uthgardt in general some time next year.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  13:51:32  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Not yet, but I suspect Eric and I will dabble on this topic and the Uthgardt in general some time next year.

-- George Krashos

Cool, let us know!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page