Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Minotaur Cultures in the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  23:16:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Anyway, our civilized minotaurs could have split off and shunned their former masters, but some of them could have relished their former status as paid bullies and favored servants. So the latter group could still hang out in the Underdark and be happily savage, while the others tried to better themselves.
This is certainly a possible interpretation. And it ties in with canon Realmslore rather nicely. We know small numbers of minotaurs have been seen regularly in many slave pens of the Drow Houses of Menzoberranzan -- some of them could be our minotaur savages. Drow would also press slave-minotaurs into battle as foot soldiers when they go to war. And Red Wizards utilise minotaurs as personal bodyguards as well -- so I'm sure some of our civilised minotaurs may have found work elsewhere.
quote:
Oh, and as an aside, the name "Ketorn" just doesn't work as well for me. I keep wanting to call it "Keltorn", which I like better.

I'll agree with this. "Keltorn" is often how I mentally refer to the place.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wrigs13
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  09:35:59  Show Profile  Visit Wrigs13's Homepage Send Wrigs13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

How about Kelthorn? I like the idea of getting the word 'horn' in their somehow.

I'm also going to have to figure out how all of this relates to my own ancient (as in primordial) Minotaur Kingdom I placed in the Utter East (in the mountains). I had tie-ins with the Yakfolk to the South, and also placed Bargda (Ibixian in 3e) - Goatfolk - in the eastern Yehimal region. I had it where all three are were created in ancient times as servitor races of the Rakshasa (living in the Indianesque portions of FR - lower Utter East, the Sempadan, Tempat larang, and the lower K-T/Malatran Jungles).

I've also created a race of half-Minotaurs, called Vogalts, for my homebrew world. basically HUGE Vikings (Firbolgs?), but when they take off their helmets... the horns ar still there!

quote:

I personally don't like the idea of minotaur sailors. As I've pointed out before, can you imagine how strong the rigging would have to be to support them?

Spidersilk (with the highest tensile strength known) purchased from the Drow?

quote:
Originally posted by Wrigs13

And can anyone think of a good reason why a minotaur nation could not be in unclaimed political region between Turmish, the Dragon Coast and the Shining Plains?
Yes.

Its called Cormyr.

As for a placement for modern 'Minotaur Pirates' a'la Taladas, I'd just give them the Isle of Prespur and be done with it. I forget what's there, but I'm sure losing it won't make a bit of difference to FR lore.

Certainly goes against canon, but if you want 'em, then that won't effect much.

Good point about spidersilk, it at least sets a pecedent for a material capable of holding an adult minotaurs weight.

I was not talking about Cormyr, but the unclaimed region south of the ragon reach.

I wasn't thinking about pirates in particular, more a small insular nation of minotaurs. Xenophobic and loyalist but recent provocation has caused them to look beyond their own borders.

I am not sure that in 3rd ed the strong race makes good carpenters means good ship builders hence good sailors rational even holds up. It was really a construct of the 2nd ed rules as far as I can tell.

I think if they do use boats they should be viking style ships with significant oar propulsion.

Do not try to understand the 4th edition. Thats impossible. Instead...only try to realise the truth. There is no 4th edition.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  13:14:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am not sure that in 3rd ed the strong race makes good carpenters means good ship builders hence good sailors rational even holds up. It was really a construct of the 2nd ed rules as far as I can tell.

I think if they do use boats they should be viking style ships with significant oar propulsion.

I don't think that even the 2E rules implied any nautical or even woodworking leanings for minotaurs. I think them being sailors was entirely something from Krynn, and the fact they stuck the minotaurs of Ansalon on a couple islands. Even the minotaurs of Taladas weren't as nautically inclined.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  13:40:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think them being sailors was entirely something from Krynn, and the fact they stuck the minotaurs of Ansalon on a couple islands.
Well, Krynnish minotaurs didn't originally start on Ansalon, nor on the Blood Isles. But that's a discussion for another message board. *wink*
quote:
Even the minotaurs of Taladas weren't as nautically inclined.

Actually, the minotaurs of Taladas have long had a history of nautical inclination. Even before the first Cataclysm.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  16:46:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good point about spidersilk, it at least sets a pecedent for a material capable of holding an adult minotaurs weight.
I only knew that from playing Alpha Centauri - there's an audio clip when you discover some new tech that says as much.

quote:

I was not talking about Cormyr, but the unclaimed region south of the ragon reach.
After re-reading what I wrote, I realized it might seem a little misleading. What I meant is that Cormyr has a history of not letting anyone else expand their borders anywhere near theirs - the last time it happened they chased them all the way back to Calimshan (that was in the Giant's Run - even further away then the area you are pointing out).

quote:

I wasn't thinking about pirates in particular, more a small insular nation of minotaurs. Xenophobic and loyalist but recent provocation has caused them to look beyond their own borders.
Well, I was never a big fan of the Dragonlance material, but I've always loved Minotaurs, and the book on them for that setting was one of two DL products I ever purchased.

There's just something so sexy about Minotaur Vikings.

quote:

As was noted above by others, it has more to do with their proximity to water - Island cultures tend to develop strong navies.

As for the Minotaurs of Krynn always liking the sea - from what I remember, they were originally Ogres, and I've never heard of Ogres being very fond of water. Although Krynnish Ogres are different then most, and I'm not all that knowledgable about that setting, truth be told.

Does FR have any instances of Sea-faring Ogres? (I realize that it is slightly O-T, but it's related to the discussion at hand) I know of a Hill-Giant Pirate Captain, but I don't recall any Ogres.

Anyhow, Realmsian Minotaurs are NOT Ogres, so thats neither here nor there.

quote:

Just to change it up a bit, my Norse-like Half-Minotaurs had double banks of Oars, like a Bireme, but still looked like a Longship. The ones the Jarls use - Greatships - had triple banks (like a trireme).

Now, you put all of that impressive Minotaur Muscle behind a double bank of oars, and you can practically waterski behind the thing.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Feb 2009 04:39:56
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  23:04:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As for the Minotaurs of Krynn always liking the sea - from what I remember, they were originallly Ogres, and I've never heard of Ogres being very fond of water.
You're right. The Minotaur race is another by-product of the Graygem. As the Graygem rampaged through the world of Krynn, it altered ogres in both Ansalon and also in Taladas.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2016 :  13:31:39  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I've always hated the cursed origin idea for minotaurs... Heck, the mythological minotaur was the son of a god, not a cursed human. (...)

In one origin myth, yes. Another one says he is the result of a curse. King Minos fails to give his best bull in sacrifice to a deity, and he or she (don't remember which one) curses his wife to be attracted to the same bull. She asks Daedalus to build a metal cow with a properly placed orifice and consumates her passion. She gets pregnant and when the baby is born king Minos, in shame, locks the bastard in his labyrinth.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2016 :  18:59:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I call bull!

j/k

EDIT: After climbing into the metal bull-suit, she was heard to joyfully exclaim, "Wheres the Beef!?"

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Oct 2016 19:01:10
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2016 :  19:01:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen that one, but I'm more familiar with the Zeus one... Especially since Zeus had perhaps the weirdest sex life ever imagined. I think Rule 34 was inspired by him.

On a more serious note, D&D has such a weird history of picking and choosing what it wants to from mythology that it's sometimes surprised what gets hardcoded in for all of gaming eternity, and gets unceremoniously kicked to the curb. Minotaurs and gorgons -- two ends of the spectrum, right there, from one mythology.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2016 :  19:05:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Utter East thread/project, we had reinstalled Medusa's two sisters as alternate-type gorgons (a flying, harpy-like variant, and a snake-tailed, lamia-like one). Sometimes its up to the fans to fix things.

But you were probably talking about the bull-like Gorgon.

In my own hombrew mythos/settings, I've connected the two, in a similar fashion to what Barastir related above. Never liked the Maeder, so I replaced them.

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2016 :  01:31:23  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find the whole idea of a minotaur kingdom frankly silly. I believe in the original OGB stance that minotaurs are exceedingly rare, likely transients from another plane or world.

I'm going to echo others and say that really they belong in Dragonlance. However, I"m fine with putting them in a small area of the Underdark, since there isn't anything there anyway.

If I were going to put a small kingdom above ground I would have them be nomadic pirates with no real kingdom boundaries, more like a bandit kingdom. Or perhaps on on island.

Evermoors could also work.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2016 :  01:36:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The OGB did not cover all of the Realms.

I see no reason why a hidden city, partially underground and laying deep within a large forest, is such a stretch of the imagination.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2016 :  05:26:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have cities of giant, one-eyed, floating balls (covered with more, smaller eyes), but minotaurs are silly?

M'kay.

But I guess I know what you mean - I prefer small tribes, like how hill giants band together. That would work for the more brutish kind. For a real nation/citystate, you'd have to go with something like the Krynnish ones.

I always loved minotaurs - I played one in a Monsters! Monsters! campaign once. Good Times.

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Oct 2016 05:27:18
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  13:00:37  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
man working on my sandbox/dungeon for my stonelands settlement, but trying to figure out a format.

if you want to present a place as 1stly a settlement and then as a sort of dungeon (premise is the village was mysteriously abandoned and the adventuring party lives there and is trying to find out where everybody went, because obviously these goblinoids are too puny to not be stomped into the ground), should you write it twice or present each section under page numbers (like the well, description, plot hook, as a dungeon with encounter)?

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  19:48:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd do it like the old-school modules - at the beginning I have two backstories; the one the players know (general knowledge/gossip/whatever), and then the 'DM only' backstory. Then just do the usual with the numbered locals (small write-up for each).

Normally the backstory should cover what happened in general, but if you need something specific for a certain locale ("Bahb died here"), then include that, but keep it separate somehow (in parenthesis, or better yet, colored text).

I think when I am done with my current map, I may try my hand at the DM's guild thingy - I still need to write-up my own Stonelands (Goblin) 'town' of Gwarch (which appeared on the canon 4e map of Cormyr). It would probably have a similar fate as yours, considering all that transpired between the Shades and the Zhents.

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Oct 2016 19:50:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  20:32:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Bahb is my NPC! And show proper respect -- he's a Cormyrian noble, of the Nounsilver family.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  20:57:28  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just thought i'd chuck something out there that im working on to account for the multiple origins of species on this toril and across other worlds.

The Fractured World: The following is taken from a text that appeared without explanation in the vaults of Candlekeep.
To those that are looking for the secrets of the multiverse know that herein does not lie the answer. I believe i am the first, i have witnessed many ages of the world, i understand more than any other being that existed and yet i can only provide what i believe to be true.
The world as you know it is false, it is broken, it is but a pale shadow of what was.
In the beginning there was the Cradle, a planet and universe teeming with new life (for it was truly the beginning). Something went wrong, the monsters on the edge of reality consumed all and the universe ended.
That was not the end however it was again the beginning. The universe cracked and the multiverse was born. Each sphere you see is the same reflection of the original but with a quantum difference just after the beginning that changed the world forever.
Why do all the same creatures live on each world, because they are the same world, following the same plan but in a different way. That is also why similar deities exist on each world.
Each world is separated in its own reality with its own cosmology (each similar but different to the next), but the walls between the realities are thin and can be breached by travelling to the edge and through to the next.
So saith the Metatext

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  21:11:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey, Bahb is my NPC! And show proper respect -- he's a Cormyrian noble, of the Nounsilver family.

'Bahb' has become quite famous around these halls, thus why used him as an example.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11689 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2016 :  01:25:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, yes, the famous Archnemesis of Bhab Vowelgold

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2016 :  05:42:47  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
man

what weapons would you think are common for minotaurs from the 5e phb?

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2016 :  14:13:32  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I see no reason why a hidden city, partially underground and laying deep within a large forest, is such a stretch of the imagination.

Perhaps in the Underdark. Most large forests, at least deep within them is typically where the Fey hold sway so I'm not really seeing a minotaur civilization there either.

Keeping with the original motif, I guess the Underdark makes more sense. There are plenty of large unmapped labyrinths.

This however, leads to the larger questions: Where did they come from? Why are they in the Realms?

Why are they sprinkled about in random modules? Why labyrinths?

This is a hole in the lore that needs to be filled.

In my game anyway they are exceedingly rare and valuable bodyguards, obtained from other worlds.

No a city full of beholders doesn't seem silly at all considering it's known up front those are a part of the Realms.

They are not just randomly placed about with no explanation like minotaurs are.

That's what I meant that right now the notion of a minotaur civilization is quite silly and would require retcon back to the beginning.

Edited by - Cards77 on 23 Oct 2016 14:14:21
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2016 :  21:04:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess it boils down to a matter of taste, then. I absolutely LOATHE 'Beholder cities'. In other settings, beholders are very rare and solitary... AS IT SHOULD BE. They are WAY too powerful to hang around in groups. Thats why I feel a city full of them is SO OP. And then we have the Phaerimm, who EASILY subjugate a city of them... which to me jumps the shark... a shark the size of a planet.

While on the other hand, I LIKE minotaurs, A LOT. If there were 'minotaur ghettos' in some larger cities I'd be fine with it.

Thus, it depends on one's perspective. I also came to FR from GH, so my D&D tastes were acquired there, and I tend to think of that setting as 'the standard'.

However, I wouldn't have more than one 'minotaur city' in the setting, and even that would probably be more on the order of a very large town. As I said earlier in this thread, i like the idea of tribes of them all over the place. Maybe they have an ongoing 'war' with the Wemics, or even the Centaurs (which also don't get nearly enough love in FR). It would be fairly easy to spin them into existing lore.

Unlike aberrations, which I've always shied away from (although lately I am finding myself drawn more and more in that direction). I just find that whole group a bit too 'scify' for my (fantasy) tastes. I think 'Elder Evils' has gone a long way in smoothing those edges for me, which is perhaps why I'm am starting to dislike them a whole lot less. 'Elder Evils' is something that works for fantasy, horror, and scify (and bridges them nicely).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2016 :  21:22:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

quote:

Perhaps in the Underdark. Most large forests, at least deep within them is typically where the Fey hold sway so I'm not really seeing a minotaur civilization there either.

Keeping with the original motif, I guess the Underdark makes more sense. There are plenty of large unmapped labyrinths.

This however, leads to the larger questions: Where did they come from? Why are they in the Realms?

In my game anyway they are exceedingly rare and valuable bodyguards, obtained from other worlds.

No a city full of beholders doesn't seem silly at all considering it's known up front those are a part of the Realms.

That's what I meant that right now the notion of a minotaur civilization is quite silly and would require retcon back to the beginning.

I'm not looking to explain how they got to the Realms because we already have them there, in canon.

It's also canon that there was a minotaur kingdom, in the past.

I don't see how it's silly to have any intelligent people form a city or kingdom, as long as it's not a race known for antipathy towards other members of the same race. And it certainly doesn't require a retcon to say that there is an existing group of minotaurs somewhere that hasn't been explored in canon.

We have a canon minotaur kingdom in the past. We have a group of minotaurs existing in canon near where Shadowjack and I were originally dropping a minotaur city.

Honestly, I think it's sillier to say there couldn't possibly be a minotaur civilization, given that we've got one in prior canon.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 Oct 2016 21:27:11
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2016 :  22:48:00  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I guess it boils down to a matter of taste, then. I absolutely LOATHE 'Beholder cities'. In other settings, beholders are very rare and solitary... AS IT SHOULD BE. They are WAY too powerful to hang around in groups. Thats why I feel a city full of them is SO OP.

Except beholders on Toril originate primarily from Spelljamming beholders, who *do* organize themselves into large groups. It makes sense those in FR would do the same. :)

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  01:22:48  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I guess it boils down to a matter of taste, then. I absolutely LOATHE 'Beholder cities'. In other settings, beholders are very rare and solitary... AS IT SHOULD BE. They are WAY too powerful to hang around in groups. Thats why I feel a city full of them is SO OP. And then we have the Phaerimm, who EASILY subjugate a city of them... which to me jumps the shark... a shark the size of a planet.

While on the other hand, I LIKE minotaurs, A LOT. If there were 'minotaur ghettos' in some larger cities I'd be fine with it.

Thus, it depends on one's perspective. I also came to FR from GH, so my D&D tastes were acquired there, and I tend to think of that setting as 'the standard'.

However, I wouldn't have more than one 'minotaur city' in the setting, and even that would probably be more on the order of a very large town. As I said earlier in this thread, i like the idea of tribes of them all over the place. Maybe they have an ongoing 'war' with the Wemics, or even the Centaurs (which also don't get nearly enough love in FR). It would be fairly easy to spin them into existing lore.

Unlike aberrations, which I've always shied away from (although lately I am finding myself drawn more and more in that direction). I just find that whole group a bit too 'scify' for my (fantasy) tastes. I think 'Elder Evils' has gone a long way in smoothing those edges for me, which is perhaps why I'm am starting to dislike them a whole lot less. 'Elder Evils' is something that works for fantasy, horror, and scify (and bridges them nicely).

Yeah I do agree. The concept of beholder hives is pretty insane. The whole thing is so OP as to be almost completely useless in game other than to be like "oh wow that exists, let us never speak of it again"

However, I guess LE is as LE does

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  01:33:43  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

quote:

I'm not looking to explain how they got to the Realms because we already have them there, in canon.

It's also canon that there was a minotaur kingdom, in the past.
up of minotaurs somewhere that hasn't been explored in canon.

We have a canon minotaur kingdom in the past. We have a group of minotaurs existing in canon near where Shadowjack and I were originally dropping a minotaur city.

Honestly, I think it's sillier to say there couldn't possibly be a minotaur civilization, given that we've got one in prior canon.

Ok I went back and read some of this thread again but clearly I'm missing something. I'm no master of lore. Where was this prior minotaur civilization treated in the canon?

I'm still standing on my statement that this is a hole in the lore that needs to be filled. Especially if it's taking us 6 pages to figure out how to build a logic house of cards to justify this minotaur city of a civilization that already was explained in canon?

I guess I'm not really understanding it. That link to the Dragon article is broken. That's not it is it?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  09:33:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're not spending 6 pages building "a logic house of cards to justify this minotaur city of a civilization that already was explained in canon" -- a lot of this thread was first discussing what was there and then building something new. It was a group collaboration to come up with a backstory for a new creation.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  12:08:54  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Curiously, there is a minotaur adventure in a forest in the 1st edition Book of Lairs II. There are only eight of them - a small tribe -, but they use a labyrynth of thorns inside the forest as their lair...

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2016 :  17:57:21  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
got the main text and the sand box done and am currently working on the con game/starting point of a potential adventure path.

However, I have a somewhat related question.

has anybody done the fling enemies/fling allies as feats for 5e? I really want these, but if somebody has beaten me to the punch, I'd rather reference them. :)

Also any minotaur suggested feats/items/etc that are already on the dungeons master's guild and/or official material?

Edited by - shades of eternity on 29 Oct 2016 17:57:54
Go to Top of Page

Tigon
Acolyte

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2018 :  08:46:26  Show Profile Send Tigon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has there been any movement on this in the past year and a half? I'm highly interested in how/ a minotaur society fits in on Faerun
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000