Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Shar Lore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2003 :  14:58:35  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One of the players in my campaign (2E) is a Priest of Shar. Unfortunately, the only information regarding Shar that I have been able to present to him is that which is found in Forgotten Realms - Adventures and Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and he would like to know more.
I assume that there is more to be found Deities & Demigods or Faiths & Pantheons but I have not been able to get these books.
Therefore I would like you to post anything regarding Shar that you can remember off the top of your head.
(Through browsing this forum, I have learned that Shar and Selune were the first two gods created by Ao and that Shar is the most powerful evil diety (3E only?)).

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake

Edited by - Echon on 06 Feb 2003 14:59:43

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2003 :  07:09:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, based on the fact that Shar is the Goddess of Darkness, one would think she was the most powerfull. If I were constructing this (but if I were, I'd have a lot more money, I'm sure ), I'd certainly make her the "Queen of the Evil Ones" or somesuch.

However, that probably wouldn't have any effect on your character, or at least there's no way I can think of. If Shar were Goddess of Light, maybe there might be some hierarchy involved in that; like a cleric of god(dess) A, though the same level as a cleric of god(dess) B, generally bows to the will of that cleric because (s)he's superior in status if not in power. I don't think that's the case, of course, and any evil power wouldn't observe such a thing. Woudn't be in its nature.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2003 :  13:10:33  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shar, Lady of Loss, of hidden secrets, mistress of eternal darkness and twin sister of Selune.

Shar's priesthood is the arch-rival of Selune's, thwarting their plans plans and killing Selunite worshippers whenever possible.
Always remember slights and minor offenses, they can be visited back on the victim at a later, more opportune moment.

Holy day/ritual: Rising of the Dark (Feast of the Moon)

As per 3rd edition Shhar also is goddess of the Shadow Weave, providing spellcasters with an alternative to Mystar's weave - not without a cost however... As a goddess, she is trying to coax some of the other 'evil' gods into using the Shadow Weave, making them less dependable on Mystra. Epecially Cyric seems to like the idea - that way the 'harlot' has less control over him...
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2003 :  16:19:48  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What does Harlot mean?
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2003 :  16:26:22  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

What does Harlot mean?

An old-fashioned word for prostitute.

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Ranaghar Tsaran
Learned Scribe

Poland
133 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2003 :  20:03:46  Show Profile  Visit Ranaghar Tsaran's Homepage Send Ranaghar Tsaran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Shar, Lady of Loss, of hidden secrets, mistress of eternal darkness and twin sister of Selune.

She's really a twin sister of Selune? In "Faiths and Pantheons" they have other apperances...

"Do not be afraid of greatness. Some achieve greatness, some are born great, and some have greatness thrust upon them..."
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2003 :  20:17:05  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranaghar Tsaran
She's really a twin sister of Selune? In "Faiths and Pantheons" they have other apperances...

Initially, the first two gods that Ao created were Shar and Selune, darkness and light. They were so akin in thought that they were percieved as one person or entity. Then some shadows lord began intervening and what not and since then everything has gone downhill.

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2018 :  17:36:19  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Echon,

It appears, just a couple of years later, that there are a few more sources that may interest you.

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 21,36–37
On Hallowed Ground. (TSR, Inc), p. 170
Player's Guide to Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 163
“Seven Deadly Domains” Dragon #323 (Paizo Publishing, LLC), p. 65.
Forgotten Realms Player's Guide. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 152“Domains in Eberron and the Forgotten Realms”.
Dragon #378 (Wizards of the Coast), p. 32.
Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 62–63,294
Dungeon Master's Guide 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 96–97
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition
Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 50.
Faiths and Pantheons. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 56.
“Total Eclipse”. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons #22
Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 42.
Heroes of the Elemental Chaos. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 32.
“Selune Rising”. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons #19
“Lunatics”. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons #21
“Dark of the Moon”. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons #20 Comic
Shadowrealm (Kindle ed.). (Wizards of the Coast), loc. 3548
Shadowrealm (Kindle ed.). (Wizards of the Coast), loc. 3143
Power of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 47.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Echon

One of the players in my campaign (2E) is a Priest of Shar. Unfortunately, the only information regarding Shar that I have been able to present to him is that which is found in Forgotten Realms - Adventures and Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and he would like to know more.
I assume that there is more to be found Deities & Demigods or Faiths & Pantheons but I have not been able to get these books.
Therefore I would like you to post anything regarding Shar that you can remember off the top of your head.
(Through browsing this forum, I have learned that Shar and Selune were the first two gods created by Ao and that Shar is the most powerful evil diety (3E only?)).

-Echon

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000