Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Sunken Ahjuutal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Palmate
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  12:18:40  Show Profile  Visit Palmate's Homepage Send Palmate a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm looking for information on this location found in the Imperial South section of LEoF.

I understand it is underwater and located in the south, near Almraiven. Any one have a clue as to when it was destroyed; I seem to recall reading that Elven High Magic caused it to fall under the waves, anyone know what may have precipitated this event?

I'm also looking for information on what was the common language spoken in the area at the time of its destruction, possible artifacts found within its ruins, and general knowledge and ideas on its make up.

Any and all information and speculation is welcome.

Palmate

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  14:40:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Palmate

I'm looking for information on this location found in the Imperial South section of LEoF.
I don't recall any particular 2e references on Ahjuutal -- at least, there's no mention in any of the tomes dedicated to that region of the southern Realms.

quote:
I understand it is underwater and located in the south, near Almraiven. Any one have a clue as to when it was destroyed;...
The entry in LEoF says that Ahjuutal predates the foundation of Coramshan. Coramshan wasn't founded until -6060 DR and the timeline in LEoF for the Imperial South lists that the fall of Ahjuutal occured in -7684 DR.

Ahjuutal sunk as a result of the war between the djinni Calim and the marid Ahjuu -- the so-called Steam Wars. Calim was responsible for the destruction of Ahjuutal.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Jul 2005 14:46:47
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  14:51:32  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahjuutal is introduced and discussed in Empires of the Shining Sea (2e). It's a marid city that fell during the reign of Calim the djinn.

Also, I think you're thinking of Jhaamdath, which was destroyed by a tidal wave raised by Elven High Magic. Jhaamdath lay where the Vilhon Reach is now. An unexpected result of that magic was the destruction of the sea elven capitol of the Inner Sea.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 26 Jul 2005 14:53:19
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  15:09:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Ahjuutal is introduced and discussed in Empires of the Shining Sea (2e).
That figures... . It has to be mentioned in the one tome that I temporary lent to a friend just yesterday .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Palmate
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  17:02:35  Show Profile  Visit Palmate's Homepage Send Palmate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks all for the great replies... I should have known to look in the EotSS. The information located in that source is really good historically, any ideas on lost artifacts and things magical that may have survived 10000 years?

and Eric, I think you are right, I am also using the empire of Jhaamdath and the cities of the sword in my current campaign and it all mingles together sometimes.

Palmate
Go to Top of Page

Palmate
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2005 :  16:55:44  Show Profile  Visit Palmate's Homepage Send Palmate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While doing a bit more research for this planned adventure, I came across an entry in the FRCS. It is located on Pg. 156 in the Major Geographical features; Spider Swamp.

In this entry it talks about Lost Ajhuutal, in fact it is stated in the entry that Ajhuutal is located in the Northern part of the Spider Swamp, and has in fact become an inhabited submerged city of 300+ aranea. This seems to directly contradict LEoF Pg. 123.
I already know what I'm going to do for my game, but I was curious if someone could speak to this discrepancy? Is the city in the Northern Spider Swamp another city of the Marid Ajhuu’s empire? Or perhaps the real city?

thanks for helping to clear this up,

Palmate
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2005 :  13:43:58  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

While doing a bit more research for this planned adventure, I came across an entry in the FRCS. It is located on Pg. 156 in the Major Geographical features; Spider Swamp.

In this entry it talks about Lost Ajhuutal, in fact it is stated in the entry that Ajhuutal is located in the Northern part of the Spider Swamp, and has in fact become an inhabited submerged city of 300+ aranea. This seems to directly contradict LEoF Pg. 123.
I already know what I'm going to do for my game, but I was curious if someone could speak to this discrepancy? Is the city in the Northern Spider Swamp another city of the Marid Ajhuu’s empire? Or perhaps the real city?

Palmate

There are two sites (as noted in EMPIRES OF THE SHINING SEA) that people attribute to Ajhuutal--the true one which is off the coast and beneath the Shining Sea, and the one misnamed as Ajhuutal by poor historians or worse mapmakers. Both exist, but the city of marids is the one off coast, not occupied by aranea.

SES
Who sank `em both....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Palmate
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2005 :  14:02:47  Show Profile  Visit Palmate's Homepage Send Palmate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
great thanks!

so since you sank 'em... what was the Norther, mis named city, before? What was it called?

Palmate
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2020 :  03:41:49  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Schend,

Do you happen to know if the lost "Scepter of Calim" has ever been recovered? I want to say it might have been mentioned in the "Star of Cursrah", novel?

Brain stretched to maximum overload here....haha

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

Palmate

There are two sites (as noted in EMPIRES OF THE SHINING SEA) that people attribute to Ajhuutal--the true one which is off the coast and beneath the Shining Sea, and the one misnamed as Ajhuutal by poor historians or worse mapmakers. Both exist, but the city of marids is the one off coast, not occupied by aranea.

SES
Who sank `em both....

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2021 :  02:40:04  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Schend,

Good evening! :)

Bumping this regarding my question from February of 2020, which was:

quote:
Do you happen to know if the lost "Scepter of Calim" has ever been recovered? I want to say it might have been mentioned in the "Star of Cursrah", novel?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2021 :  03:04:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not seen much of Steven Schend online, of late.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2021 :  06:20:46  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Great to hear from you! :) Just kind of getting back into the swing of things. Been doing a lot of home remodeling projects as of late, so I've been a bit tied up with that. :)

I appreciate the response on that. I hope all is well with him.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2021 :  13:59:19  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Mr. Schend,

Good evening! :)

Bumping this regarding my question from February of 2020, which was:

quote:

Never read Star of Cursrah that I can recall, nor do I know of any reclamation of the Scepter of Calim, so you and your players get to go to town with recovering it yourselves!

SES
who really really ought to finish that worldbuilding stuff and post it for free (in minimal notes) and sale (in some form or other)

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2021 :  17:36:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you need a hand I'm sure there are many volunteers. I'm good at keeping secrets as well.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page