Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Flames of the Dark Sun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  04:46:23  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just got a copy of Cloak & Dagger (finally!! ) and I immediately began flipping through for some inspiration. I found it, all right.

In an extraordinarily brief passage, the tome mentions an order of assassins in Amn that worship Cyric, namely, 'The Flames of the Dark Sun.'

I was wondering if there has been any more development of this order in later products, or other information known, perhaps given out by the authors Eric Boyd and Steven Schend (Reynolds not being on Candlekeep). It is really a fascinating order with a lot of potential to become involved with the Knights of the Shield, the Shadow Thieves, the Heralds, the Night Parade, and possibly even the Rundeen. I can certainly see them messing around with the Sythillisian Empire (given that the rival priests of the Twin Towers of the Eternal Eclipse have allied with the monster army), as well as allying with the Shadow Thieves to stop the monarchist ambitions of the Knights (given that the leader of the Shadow Thieves is a member of the Council of Six and stands to loose greatly with a monarchy returned, and the Cyricists would loose a lot of well-placed contacts in the current system).

If there hasn't been any more development of the Flames, then there's some serious need of brainstorming for their involvement in the chaotic events of Amn past. Incidentally, if there have been any noted involvements of power groups in the history of Amn up to the 'current' year (1374/1375), or any mention of Amnian history at all in the books, could you please note it here so I can get an accurate picture of possible involvement.

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Jul 2005 06:33:02

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  04:56:48  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Theres a brief mention of them in Lords of Darkness and they seem to being used more to Cull "Heretical" sects of Cyricists then to attack or get involved with other groups

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  06:31:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smyther

In an extraordinarily brief passage, the tome mentions an order of assassins in Amn that worship Cyric, namely, 'The Flames of the Dark Sun.'
I don't immediately recall any particular reference to this order of assassins in any other 2e FR product. Given C&D's position at the end of the 2e FR product line, it's possible that this was their first mention before being carried over into 3e -- that is, unless I've missed a 2e reference.

Hopefully Eric or Steven will chime in with their own thoughts on this (provided there are no NDAs looming of course ).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  18:24:03  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No NDAs so far as I know....but I can't recall if these are the guys from the Twin Towers or the enclave out in the eastern plains/hills.....so I'd best not answer other than to say I'd love to brainstorm....when I find the time....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2020 :  21:39:16  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Smyther,

The only other source I could find material in which tangentially surrounds the topic is in The Lands of Intrigue, p.23, 27, and 59. There is discussion about the different Cyricist temples finding one another heretical, i.e. Banedeath, and goes to demonstrate the animosity and constant fighting that goes on. Good reading.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Smyther

I just got a copy of Cloak & Dagger (finally!! ) and I immediately began flipping through for some inspiration. I found it, all right.

I was wondering if there has been any more development of this order in later products, or other information known, perhaps given out by the authors Eric Boyd and Steven Schend (Reynolds not being on Candlekeep). It is really a fascinating order with a lot of potential to become involved with the Knights of the Shield, the Shadow Thieves, the Heralds, the Night Parade, and possibly even the Rundeen. I can certainly see them messing around with the Sythillisian Empire (given that the rival priests of the Twin Towers of the Eternal Eclipse have allied with the monster army), as well as allying with the Shadow Thieves to stop the monarchist ambitions of the Knights (given that the leader of the Shadow Thieves is a member of the Council of Six and stands to loose greatly with a monarchy returned, and the Cyricists would loose a lot of well-placed contacts in the current system).

If there hasn't been any more development of the Flames, then there's some serious need of brainstorming for their involvement in the chaotic events of Amn past. Incidentally, if there have been any noted involvements of power groups in the history of Amn up to the 'current' year (1374/1375), or any mention of Amnian history at all in the books, could you please note it here so I can get an accurate picture of possible involvement.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000