Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Greatest Villain Ever
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

KraziJoe
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  13:48:39  Show Profile Send KraziJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I think the only real choice, if we are talking about the fiction side of the Forgotten Realms, among those offered is Manshoon. The biggest reason is he continually goes up against the most powerful characters in the Realms and is still swinging. More importantly, he has been featured in MANY novels and just as many RPG products. Manshoon is not going anywhere and I will bet that he is featured in more novels yet to come. I can't say as much for anyone else.

Larloch would be my #2 only because he has been a constant boogeyman from the very beginning and has made an appearance or two in fiction.

Kymil would be #3 because he had good long term evil and (accidentally) made some great evil progress with Zoar's death and the attack on Evermeet.

Szass Tam has the lack of fortune to be featured in one of series that I thought was terrible, and seems to be to have been written to achieve the goal of its conclusion rather than have a story that traveled its own path to a conclusion that made good sense. I really liked the Szass Tam presented in Spellbound. His fiction self was a let down of the countless RSEs era.

Sammaster was cool, but a briefly "resurrected" bad guy who now seems to be dead again.

The Gods / Devils are all out for me. Supernatural powers are not villains in my mind.

The problem with Manshoon is that he's become like Apocalypse (the comic book X Men villain). He's been used so many times as a punching bag that he's lost his menacing aura. If you've ever watched pro wrestling, you know that the top guys aren't scripted to lose very often. Why? Because while a guy like the Undertaker may be huge and scary looking, his whole gimmick loses any edge if he loses every other match.

But when have the bad guys won? Sure they win some battles but never have they won the war.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2016 :  00:47:02  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What war? The majority of the successful long term characters in the Realms are "evil" - undead wizards for example. If a powerful character is older than about 500 years old in the Realms, it is either a dragon, a chosen, or evil. :P (A small handful of exceptions exist of course - please don't pile on "what about ____."
Go to Top of Page

KraziJoe
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2016 :  15:14:52  Show Profile Send KraziJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

What war? The majority of the successful long term characters in the Realms are "evil" - undead wizards for example. If a powerful character is older than about 500 years old in the Realms, it is either a dragon, a chosen, or evil. :P (A small handful of exceptions exist of course - please don't pile on "what about ____."

That's the thing. The bad guys never win...Someone always comes in to save the day from the bad guys...Let the bad guys win. Let them dominate for a time and work on that...The "war" meaning in every series, in the end, the good guys win and evil loses. Mix it up some!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2016 :  20:29:38  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You got your wish in Thay - Szass is head ghoulie-ghoul there after he won.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000