Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Any information on this place?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Myssa Rei
Acolyte

Philippines
22 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  04:42:55  Show Profile  Visit Myssa Rei's Homepage Send Myssa Rei a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Before I go into my question, I was finally able to buy myself a copy of the Player's Guide to Faerun, though it really tore a hole in my purse... 1645 Philippine pesos ain't cheap, especially for a unversity student doing part-time such as myself... Anyway, I digress. ^^

I was browsing through my Lost Empires guide book (yes, I have it too... I have an expensive hobby, I know), cross-checking the locations of the ancient realms, and I noticed a location that wasn't even mentioned in passing in the book: Oederhode (sp?). What is the story to this place? Why wasn't it even detailed in the supplement?

Never underestimate the power of a good story.

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  05:11:31  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a very obscure gnome nation mentioned in one of the old Polyhedrons ... Everwinking Eye column by Ed Greenwood.

As to why it's not in the book, Rich asked George and I for a map of -626 DR. George and I put our heads together and came up with every place of note we could find in obscure Realmslore for that date ... as it turned out, Oederhode was in the right place at the right time, it's just not been flushed out yet.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  05:34:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

...Oederhode was in the right place at the right time, it's just not been flushed out yet.
This may be something we should pass over to Ed then.

Perhaps he's thought more about Oederhode since his Everwinking Eye series...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Jul 2005 05:35:07
Go to Top of Page

Myssa Rei
Acolyte

Philippines
22 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  05:43:57  Show Profile  Visit Myssa Rei's Homepage Send Myssa Rei a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gather that it's obscure enough to merit actually asking Ed at the Sages section for details on it, ne? I'll get right on it after my work and class. :)

Hmm, a kingdom of gnomes you say?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  06:49:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, a kingdom of gnomes - destroyed by an orc horde it is said. I'd say it was a large band of orcs that had been slowly migrating west since the Orcgate Wars (and yes, this is off the top of my head so I'm not really thinking of all the geography involved here!). Oh, and it's got an "L" in its name, somewhere, I think it's Oelerhode.

And points to you Myssa Rei for being the first person around the world to get on a FR forum of any description and ask about this place - at least someone has finally had a good look at the map!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 11 Jul 2005 06:52:13
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  07:46:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

And points to you Myssa Rei for being the first person around the world to get on a FR forum of any description and ask about this place - at least someone has finally had a good look at the map!

I was to busy trying to find the OTHER maps in LEOF

Im not bitter.....

Really...........

Ok I admit it Im really bitter about the lack of maps in LEOF!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  08:11:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh those! Naaah, you wouldn't want them. They're like the ultra-detailed fold-out map for CoS:W, the maps for SK and the Szass Tam's tower floorplans from CoR - not necessary at all. Why I just threw them in with all my other maps that I never refer to ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  11:10:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh those! Naaah, you wouldn't want them. They're like the ultra-detailed fold-out map for CoS:W, the maps for SK and the Szass Tam's tower floorplans from CoR - not necessary at all. Why I just threw them in with all my other maps that I never refer to ...

-- George Krashos

Thats it

All copies of City of Splendors bound for points west of Broken Hill have been diverted!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Myssa Rei
Acolyte

Philippines
22 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  03:46:21  Show Profile  Visit Myssa Rei's Homepage Send Myssa Rei a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And you wonder why the gnomes in the Realms are referred to as the 'Forgotten Folk'... If the sages here didn't point out the fact to me, I wouldn't even have learned that they had such a kingdom.

... Oh, and George, you definitely mixed up the geography there, since, judging by the map, Oederhode (or however it's spelled) is nearer to the Great Rift than anything else.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  04:42:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myssa Rei

... Oh, and George, you definitely mixed up the geography there, since, judging by the map, Oederhode (or however it's spelled) is nearer to the Great Rift than anything else.
Actually, Oelerhode resides closer to the Lake of Steam region and what would one day become the Border Kingdoms -- upon the region that is now known as the Shaar.

The reference to the gnome kingdom is most likely in one of those Polyhedron articles that detail each Border Kingdom.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  06:52:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And you wonder why the gnomes in the Realms are referred to as the 'Forgotten Folk'... If the sages here didn't point out the fact to me, I wouldn't even have learned that they had such a kingdom.

I didn't really mix up the geography - I know where Oelerhode is because I suggested we include it on 'the map'. What I was talking about is the timeframe (-626 DR) and the location, viz a viz the realm's destruction by an orc horde. Orcs in the Realms seem to have had two wellsprings - the mountain orcs of the North/Spine of the World and the gray orcs of the Old Empires. How do orcs then get to the area of the Border Kingdoms in -626 DR to ravage Oelerhode? As I said, a possible scenario is that an army of orcs invades Mulhorand during the Orcgate Wars, gets deflected south and west and ends up in the Border Kingdoms to destroy the gnomes. If I had my maps I could likely map out an acceptable route but simply, the orcs had to have got there somehow!(all the while avoiding Jhaamdath, the dwarves of the Great Rift, the nomads of the Shaar - oh Ed! Why dost thou do this to us!)

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  08:31:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That opens up its another kettle of fish

How did the Orcs get into Calimshan, Tehtyr and Amn? We know they where down there up until "The Year we went to far" when the humans slaughtered most if not all the Orcs in the south.

Regarding our Orc friends from the East getting to Olerhode.

By the time the Orcgate wars break out in -1075 Mulhorand has expanded as far north as Thay and the Unther has reached the Yuirwood which means they got a great deal of Stratgic depth to work with. While there doesnt appear to be much info on the Orcgate wars (no mention of towns destroyed etc I get the impression most of the war was fought in modern day Thay. Judging by the what we do have it would appear that the Orcs where pushed West towards south western Thay and Algarond "-1069 The Orc gate is destroyed and the invading Orcs are defeated in The Priador"

So if we assume that these are the Orcs that destroyed Oelerhode how did they cross the Sea of Fallen Stars.

I can think of 3 options

1)They sailed across (presumably someone else did this for them as Orcs arent exactly known as nautical race, perhaps the Pirates of Pirate isles did it)

2) They found an entrance to the Underdark and went under the Sea of Fallen Stars perhaps they became "Eastern Orogs"

3) They some how gated across the Sea of Fallen Stars with portal (perhaps the Elves/Half elves of Yuirwood cast an epic level spell to teleport the orcs away from them)

Presumably the orcs where dropped/came out of/where gated to somewhere between Unther and Jhaamdath ie Threskel or Chessenta

Perhaps they initially tried to settle there but where trapped between 2 civilizations that where keen on having Orcs as neighbours ie Unther and Jhaamdath and they eventaully drove the orcs out

The Orcs couldnt go north the sea of Fallen stars prevented that

They couldnt go East or they'd run into Unther

They couldnt go west or they'd run into Jhaamdath

Which left SW/SE

SE would have led them into The Great rift which would bring them into conflict with the gold Dwarves

SW would have brought them into conflict with the Elves of the Chondalwood. However the Chondalwood is not wide in the south and the orcs could have tried to "run through the forest" perhaps they cut through near the Adder Peaks and then when they hit Firesteap moutains they crossed them and rolled right over the Gnomes of Oelerhode

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Myssa Rei
Acolyte

Philippines
22 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  09:54:08  Show Profile  Visit Myssa Rei's Homepage Send Myssa Rei a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that a prolonged migration seems a bit of a stretch, considering the fact that several powerful empires lay in their way. Something outside of the orcs' control perhaps? Or exploiting something already there? Like, oh, a set of gates left over from the Imaskar empire?

As with the migration-exodus theory, this proposition is also a little far-fetched, but given the fact that some of the orc priests were able to manipulate portals to get into Faerun... Mighten that knowledge have been passed down? This is assuming some of the Orcgate shamans survived of course.

Hmm, invasion and devastation by portal abuse... Sounds eerily like what happened to Shaarven, huh?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2005 :  03:31:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Actually, Oelerhode resides closer to the Lake of Steam region and what would one day become the Border Kingdoms -- upon the region that is now known as the Shaar.

The reference to the gnome kingdom is most likely in one of those Polyhedron articles that detail each Border Kingdom.
Found the reference. Oelerhode was centred on present-day Owlhold in the Border Kingdoms. It was destroyed by orcs and existed "thousand of years ago". Polyhedron #146 has a little more.

Go to Top of Page

Myssa Rei
Acolyte

Philippines
22 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2005 :  12:57:38  Show Profile  Visit Myssa Rei's Homepage Send Myssa Rei a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... And therein lies the problem, as I have no access to any of the old issues of Polyhedron. Buying online isn't an option as, a) no Philippine-based credit card is accepted as payment on ANY of the sites that sell those products, b) considering the hell I had to go through just to save up for the Player's Guide, spending more is out of the question, and finally c) judging by the current political situation here on my side of the world, having some money to fall back upon when everything falls apart helps tremendously...

So, yeah, unless someone points me to a free source, then this little inquiry ends here.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2005 :  17:27:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

... And therein lies the problem, as I have no access to any of the old issues of Polyhedron. Buying online isn't an option as, a) no Philippine-based credit card is accepted as payment on ANY of the sites that sell those products, b) considering the hell I had to go through just to save up for the Player's Guide, spending more is out of the question, and finally c) judging by the current political situation here on my side of the world, having some money to fall back upon when everything falls apart helps tremendously...

So, yeah, unless someone points me to a free source, then this little inquiry ends here.

I've searched, and I don't know of any free sources of lore from Polyhedron.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  03:26:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pray patience, scribes. There Are Plans Afoot
(about which I can Say No more, because nothing's been finalized yet).
Suffice it to say that when I claim Ed is the world's busiest writer, I'm NOT exaggerating.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  05:55:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Pray patience, scribes. There Are Plans Afoot
(about which I can Say No more, because nothing's been finalized yet).
Suffice it to say that when I claim Ed is the world's busiest writer, I'm NOT exaggerating.
love,
THO

Hehe... Just knowing there's a possibility, is exciting enough !!!

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  17:13:37  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I didn't really mix up the geography - I know where Oelerhode is because I suggested we include it on 'the map'. What I was talking about is the timeframe (-626 DR) and the location, viz a viz the realm's destruction by an orc horde. Orcs in the Realms seem to have had two wellsprings - the mountain orcs of the North/Spine of the World and the gray orcs of the Old Empires. How do orcs then get to the area of the Border Kingdoms in -626 DR to ravage Oelerhode? As I said, a possible scenario is that an army of orcs invades Mulhorand during the Orcgate Wars, gets deflected south and west and ends up in the Border Kingdoms to destroy the gnomes. If I had my maps I could likely map out an acceptable route but simply, the orcs had to have got there somehow!(all the while avoiding Jhaamdath, the dwarves of the Great Rift, the nomads of the Shaar - oh Ed! Why dost thou do this to us!)

-- George Krashos

Maybe they discovered and used some portals to get there Maybe the gnomes had created them to trade purposes, and the horde just poured through... eh, maybe I will say no more on this subject

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2020 :  20:59:53  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

I looked around after all these years and couldn't find anything about this still.

Do you think there may be a way to get the Lady Herald a question off to The Old Mage? :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

It's a very obscure gnome nation mentioned in one of the old Polyhedrons ... Everwinking Eye column by Ed Greenwood.

As to why it's not in the book, Rich asked George and I for a map of -626 DR. George and I put our heads together and came up with every place of note we could find in obscure Realmslore for that date ... as it turned out, Oederhode was in the right place at the right time, it's just not been flushed out yet.

--Eric

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000