Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Info on Ulcaster
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  17:23:49  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings, can someone post some info on this school. Its history, its teachings, its downfall, how was it destroyed, ect. Also, does the ghost of Ulcaster haunt the ruins or was that merely made up for Baldurs Gate? My thanks

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  01:52:44  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ulcaster was said to be both a politician and wizard, but he is more wizard than politician anyway. Ulcaster established a magic school that attracted a farming village to support it but Jealous Calishite wizards burned down Ulcaster’s school three hundred years ago. The ruins still dominate the eastern side of the road, where the Morninglords’s clerics graze their sheep to keep an eye on the ruins and prevent unsavory characters from going in (or coming out).

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  02:29:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

Greetings, can someone post some info on this school. Its history, its teachings, its downfall, how was it destroyed, ect. Also, does the ghost of Ulcaster haunt the ruins or was that merely made up for Baldurs Gate? My thanks

Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast contains most of the information on Ulcaster and his school.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  03:22:36  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thanks you two

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  04:22:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As everyone has stated, the best information on Ulcaster can be found in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast. I recall that Eric Boyd expanded somewhat on this information (in a realmslore-y way, not stats) in a DRAGON article that never got accepted. It basically tied in the school of Ulcaster with the School of Wonder in Amn, Halaster and a few other FR tidbits. Hmm, I'll have to get onto Eric to re-submit the article now that DRAGON has 'rediscovered' the Realms. I loved Erik Mona's editorial in the recent issue. Made my heart sing.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  04:29:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

It basically tied in the school of Ulcaster with the School of Wonder in Amn, Halaster and a few other FR tidbits.
That sounds intriguing.

Perhaps ol' Eric could stop past and add a few more tidbits here and there about this connection. That is, if the article doesn't end up looking like it'll be published anytime soon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  06:11:09  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would enjoy that as well

Go to Top of Page

Athreeren
Learned Scribe

129 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2021 :  12:46:03  Show Profile Send Athreeren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, is Eric's article available anywhere now? I have more questions about the school. It seems every description of Beregost since first edition mentions the ruins of a keep a little to the East, and the ruins of a school a little to the East. But I've never seen any confirmation that they were the same thing. And if not, what is this keep? Which was built first? I seem to remember that Beregost grew around the school to provide it with what it needs, so was the keep built in the middle of nowhere, or was it built intentionally next to a magic school (or worse, the cursed ruins thereof)? And why were the Calishite wizards afraid of that magic school, but not of the greatest library in the Realms further down the road? In fact, what were the relations between the school and Candlekeep?

Thank you for any information you can bring on the topic!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2021 :  00:31:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The information that Eric came up with was later folded into the Dragons of Faerûn 3E sourcebook - see the write up of Kuraltaar the Demonshield (pgs.135-136).

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Athreeren
Learned Scribe

129 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2021 :  12:26:25  Show Profile Send Athreeren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, the info in that section helped a lot! In that book, I had mostly looked at where the various dragons were and how to create a good dragon lair, but I'll have to have a closer look at the magic item section!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000