Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 favourite cahracter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  23:16:27  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tops is Aoth Fezim. I love his attention to detail and his type of spellcraft. As far as antagonists go, Jarlaxle Baenre is in first place. Ever since The Silent Blade I wondered what he was about, establishing a surface outpost for Bregan D'aerthe. The events of The Pirate King are what led me to see him as an antagonist. TChazzar is second. He was insane and completely unpredictable.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  23:32:01  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

My favorite character on the list is Elminster, I just like old witty wizards...

My favorite character of the Forgotten Realms though would have to be Manshoon...again a wizard.

However, I don't like the fate given to him by WotC; and prefer the immensely intelligent and gifted Manshoon who is the leader of the Zhentarim as of the Grey Box...someone who is a true criminal and magical mastermind. Always a step ahead of his competition and rarely if ever caught off guard by the plots of others.

Its funny how things change...five years ago Artemis was my favorite; now he isn't even on my list.

I just liked him better as an "evil git" as someone else put it. Making him "shade-like" also wasn't something I liked; though it was a decent idea (which I liked better also at one point).

Maybe I have split-personality?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  00:02:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My answer remains the same, from five years ago.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  03:47:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

My favorite character on the list is Elminster, I just like old witty wizards...

My favorite character of the Forgotten Realms though would have to be Manshoon...again a wizard.

However, I don't like the fate given to him by WotC; and prefer the immensely intelligent and gifted Manshoon who is the leader of the Zhentarim as of the Grey Box...someone who is a true criminal and magical mastermind. Always a step ahead of his competition and rarely if ever caught off guard by the plots of others.

Its funny how things change...five years ago Artemis was my favorite; now he isn't even on my list.

I just liked him better as an "evil git" as someone else put it. Making him "shade-like" also wasn't something I liked; though it was a decent idea (which I liked better also at one point).

Maybe I have split-personality?

People change, more often than they'd like to admit.

I used to hate the color grey. Now, 40% of my clothes are of that color.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  21:43:46  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Holy necromancy

-My vote goes to Elaith. I apparently voted at some point between now and whoever knows when, so I have no clue if my vote changed or not.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  09:07:53  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will ALWAYS choose Elminster Aumar, he is my favorite character from FR by far.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Kyrel
Learned Scribe

151 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  16:05:59  Show Profile  Visit Kyrel's Homepage Send Kyrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the listed characters, I think I'll have to pick Jarlaxle simply on account of the sheer style. I am, however, also really fond of The Serpent and Elminister, and I also have a weak spot for Artemis Entreri tbh. Drizzt is fun enough, and I love the philosophical parts of the different Drizzt books, but at the end I prefer my characters to operate in a greyer area of the moral spectrum, for which reason I liked the way Drizzt's moral compass was challenged in the last trilogy, and I had so hoped that the character would be taken towards a "darker" place with new companions and a much less clear cut moral compass.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2013 :  15:57:05  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Blackstaff...just because he's the Chosen I most closely identify with (and because I think he's also Dr. Strange lol).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2015 :  18:49:12  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite is Minsc/Boo (they count as one!).
I haven't read many novels (yet), but so far I have to be honest and say I haven't met a great character yet, which is strange considering how thoroughly vast the potential for great characters and stories is. What have I read..let's see: 'The Companions' (stopped at 50%, I couldn't take it anymore); 'Red Magic' (I managed to finish it but it required willpower), 'Realms of Valor' (some okay, some terrible), 'Once Around the Realms' (really?), the Avatar trilogy (my eyes still bleed). Currently reading 'Azure Bonds' as I decided to get cracking on that lengthy list of FR novels somewhat chronologically (I know there are earlier stories but '..Bonds' is what I have right now to read.

In the many sourcebooks there are many fun or intriguing characters, though. I like Elminster, I like his scribe (until I realized he's a robot or something?! anyone care to explain?) and I like Elminster and Volo as a duo through their footnotes in the Volo-guides..

..right! My vote goes to Volo :)
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2015 :  20:04:10  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one picked Regis?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2015 :  20:16:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

I like Elminster, I like his scribe (until I realized he's a robot or something?! anyone care to explain?) and I like Elminster and Volo as a duo through their footnotes in the Volo-guides..

Not sure how you came to the robot conclusion... He's actually a Tethyrian prince in hiding.

Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2015 :  20:24:19  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol! Well, Tethyrian prince in hiding *is* better than robot, I have no idea why I thought that. "Tethyrian prince" is trite, perhaps, but, yes, better ^^
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2015 :  20:58:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lol! Well, Tethyrian prince in hiding *is* better than robot, I have no idea why I thought that. "Tethyrian prince" is trite, perhaps, but, yes, better ^^

Keep in mind that at that point in the timeline, almost all of the the Tethyrian royalty and nobility had been slain during the Ten Black Days of Eleint. The country was in chaos for decades.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2015 :  00:34:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I haven't read many novels (yet), but so far I have to be honest and say I haven't met a great character yet, which is strange considering how thoroughly vast the potential for great characters and stories is. What have I read..let's see: 'The Companions' (stopped at 50%, I couldn't take it anymore); 'Red Magic' (I managed to finish it but it required willpower), 'Realms of Valor' (some okay, some terrible), 'Once Around the Realms' (really?), the Avatar trilogy (my eyes still bleed). Currently reading 'Azure Bonds' as I decided to get cracking on that lengthy list of FR novels somewhat chronologically (I know there are earlier stories but '..Bonds' is what I have right now to read.

In the many sourcebooks there are many fun or intriguing characters, though. I like Elminster, I like his scribe (until I realized he's a robot or something?! anyone care to explain?) and I like Elminster and Volo as a duo through their footnotes in the Volo-guides..

I'm curious as to how you arrived at the robot assumption for poor Llhaeo?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2015 :  03:15:32  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I'm curious as to how you arrived at the robot assumption for poor Llhaeo?

Too much Evermead perhaps?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2015 :  08:23:25  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too much Evermead, or something I read but completely misunderstood..because of Evermead, probably. So yeah. Elvermead :)
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2015 :  16:00:39  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm more of a fan of Artemis Entreri than is perhaps healthy to be... >_>
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2015 :  16:18:11  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a hard one. I'm also a fan of characters that weren't listed, but I voted for Jarlaxle

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2015 :  18:43:24  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any of the Seven Sisters...
Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2015 :  17:24:08  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't read every response to this thread, but I would imagine that I'm the first person to say Morik the Rogue!

Morik!

"Surrender now, or we will slay you!" the leader of the creatures called, a bit louder and more forcefully.
"A moment, please, my friend," Zasian said, motioning to the dwarf for patience. "We are discussing your terms."

"Ye heading off with Invo . . . Inno . . . that durned elf?"
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  00:02:06  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The man, the hero, Giogi Wyvernspur.
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  02:12:28  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I became a big fan of Drasek Riven. He's one bad dude, but I love his soft spot for his "girls".
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  02:15:34  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If we include deities, my fave has to be Eilistraee. Otherwise, my vote goes to Liriel.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2015 :  23:11:47  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like too many characters to choose...
Go to Top of Page

RK
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2015 :  06:55:24  Show Profile Send RK a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really liking the new version of Regis.

Want to learn how to make $50,000 in the first month? Me too.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2015 :  14:24:11  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Veritas

The man, the hero, Giogi Wyvernspur.

<3 I love the love for Giogi.
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2015 :  17:23:04  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

Same for me.

Also what's with so many people liking Elaith, I couldn't stand the guy, I hated him so much. When Elain Cunningham post the first chapter of her canceled book in which he died I felt so good. I know I'm talking about a fictional character but damn he always got on my nerves.
To me he's right there with Joffrey, Ramsay Bolton (the one from the books), Professor Umbridge, Commissar Beige, pretty much any eldar from a 40k novel, pretty much any elf from a Dgragonlance novel and Jar-Jar.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2015 :  22:00:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeorey

quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

Same for me.

Also what's with so many people liking Elaith, I couldn't stand the guy, I hated him so much. When Elain Cunningham post the first chapter of her canceled book in which he died I felt so good. I know I'm talking about a fictional character but damn he always got on my nerves.
To me he's right there with Joffrey, Ramsay Bolton (the one from the books), Professor Umbridge, Commissar Beige, pretty much any eldar from a 40k novel, pretty much any elf from a Dgragonlance novel and Jar-Jar.

I think that's a highly unfair comparison. Joffrey was a pathetic, spoiled brat. Bolton appears to have some serious psychological issues and should likely be in a secure facility. And Professor Umbridge was sanctimonious to the point of maliciousness -- she was practically a cariacature of those people that equate authority with morality and superiority.

Elaith, on the other hand, was never so simple as any of those people. He wasn't a brat, he wasn't crazy, and he didn't act like he was better than anyone around him -- instead, he lacked the ability to find his own way and simply followed whatever course someone else laid out for him. He was determined to be the best at his chosen path; his weakness lay in finding the path for himself.

And unlike Joffrey, Bolton, or Umbridge (I'm unfamiliar with the rest), Elaith goes through a lot of personal growth through the series, realizing he could in fact determine his own path and then working to follow it.

Elaith is interesting because he's not just a simple, one-note character. He's evil, yes, but you can understand and sympathize with him a lot better than you can with a spoiled brat or a smug caricature of twisted authority. He grows as a character, and even enters into that odd position of redemption without reformation.

For my money, there's no more intriguing a villain to be found in the Realms, and precious few as interesting anywhere else. A villain that you can understand and sympathize with is far more interesting than Random Bad Guy #17, no matter how powerful the latter is.

Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2015 :  16:46:32  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly I get where you are coming from, but I just don't see it like that.
First I compared him with those other characters not because of what i believe they have in common but because they all irritated me on a shared level (that is "greatly irritated me"). And I personally don't find him as complex at all, he was definitely acting like he was better than everyone around him, he was both arrogant and condescending particularly to humans and dwarfs but also other elves (at least I found him to be such), and to me it seemed that he was simply projecting his own failures on the people around him to feel better about himself (something usually associated with the more "simple" rather than complex people).
I don't even see his supposed "fall from grace" as such if the moon-blade has rejected him doesn't that mean that he was basically always an undeserving of it individual?
Yes he is intelligent and cunning but then again he is hardly the only one. The part where he is party to/controls so much illegal business (it was mention in both the novels and this forum that it went as far as slavery) and is never confronted about that fact even though he is constantly in contact with so many good aligned characters is mind-blowing to me.
And in all the stuff I read he never came up with anything TRULY masterful, he was cunning and managed to turn some tables yes, but he was never a true mastermind of a villain.

From where I'm looking at things he is hardly the most complex villain in the Realms. He is a criminal leader who doesn't really have an interesting agenda, he is just someone who has found a way to smooch off of the city he lives in and has taken control of others who aren't able to do it as well as him, exactly like a criminal leader/prince/king-pin (I'm struggling to find a title that fits) and he keeps on doing that because that's pretty much what he is good at.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2015 :  18:08:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How many of the Songs & Swords books have you read? Because if you've not read all of the books, you've not gotten the full picture. Elaith really grows across the span of those books. He remains ruthless and continues to lean towards evil, but there is a whole lot more to him than just being a successful crime lord.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000