Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Meteorites
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2005 :  12:46:15  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
quote:
Originally posted by Moonharp

Here I have an icidental question that popped into my head as I read this thread... I had not been able to find the answer anywhere in my tomes of lore.
Was Abeir-Toril ever the victim of a large natural cataclysmic event? I mean things such as a meteorites, volcanic overheating, toxicity in the atmosphere... And if there was, what effects did it have?
Dinosaurs are still alive, so I guess there really wasn't any such event (ok, sorry for that, I know, it was sad...)

In The Parched Sea there is a description of what is likely a volcanic caldera, which is attributed to the Gods beating the devils out of the ancestral Bedine at the Scattering.

Having seen several photos and description of the Black Stone set in the Ka'aba of Mecca, I came here to search for "meteorite." Alas, this is the only relevant hit, albeit a fortuitous one. If I may distort the direction of the author's intent somewhat, I would like to know what the people of Toril think of meteorites. It wasn't until the 19th century that most European scientists accepted that meteorites came from space (and well into the 18th century some scientists were denying their very existence).

I don't expect the inhabitants of Abeir-Toril (except for those familiar with space travel) to be hep to meteorites being of extra-Torileal origin. Still, the Mazticans are supposed to have a very advanced astronomy, so they may accept that meteorites are space rocks, and the scholars of Kara-Tur might be expected to have had Spelljamming space science trickle down to them. What, however are the various views of meteorite origin actually held by the various peoples? Do they venerate them as holy objects (maybe pieces of dead gods)? Do they have different opinions of iron meteorites (source of meteoric iron) than they do of rocky meteorites (sources of useless disasters)? Do most peoples have a scientific explanation of the origin of meteorites, or a superstitious one, as the Bedine have of their caldera?

I seek knowledge. Please enlighten me.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  15:14:49  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bear in mind that in most instances pre-technology, these kinds of things were written off as divine in nature, and in a world where the gods are a definite and tangible force, it makes sense that they actually BE supernatural/divine, except in a few instances. If nothing else, it makes sense that the Gods would be part of preventing cataclysm from befalling their faithful except as instigated by the faithful of another diety.
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  15:50:24  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here I have an icidental question that popped into my head as I read this thread... I had not been able to find the answer anywhere in my tomes of lore.
Was Abeir-Toril ever the victim of a large natural cataclysmic event? I mean things such as a meteorites, volcanic overheating, toxicity in the atmosphere... And if there was, what effects did it have?

Why yes, Virginia, there has been a significant meteor impact on Toril. Ye Olde FRCS has this to say regarding Mistledale:

quote:
Thousands of years ago, the heavens assured Mistledale's future prosperity when a falling star plowed a hundred-mile-long, thirty-mile-wide swath through the elven woods. The trees never regrew in the scar where the star had fallen, but the land proved amazingly fertile once the Dalesfolk put it to the plow.- FRCS, p. 133, Wizards of the Coast, 2001.

So it seems to have been less devestating than many disasters, at least for humanity, over the long haul. One doubts that the elves felt especially blessed. Which just goes to show you why using High Magic to acquire meteor iron is a bad idea - no matter how much you admire Sahandrian.

Edited by - Vangelor on 27 Jun 2005 15:53:57
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  16:37:16  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

quote:

Why yes, Virginia, there has been a significant meteor impact on Toril. Ye Olde FRCS has this to say regarding Mistledale:

quote:
Thousands of years ago, the heavens assured Mistledale's future prosperity when a falling star plowed a hundred-mile-long, thirty-mile-wide swath through the elven woods. The trees never regrew in the scar where the star had fallen, but the land proved amazingly fertile once the Dalesfolk put it to the plow.- FRCS, p. 133, Wizards of the Coast, 2001.

So it seems to have been less devestating than many disasters, at least for humanity, over the long haul. One doubts that the elves felt especially blessed. Which just goes to show you why using High Magic to acquire meteor iron is a bad idea - no matter how much you admire Sahandrian.

There is also the probably related myth (???) of the creation of the Sea of Fallen Stars.

My question was more concerned with interpetations of meteorites themselves, but I suppose that human opinions should be tempered by the realization that many such events have happened within the lifetimes of living elves or their parents. If they hadn't spent much of the past ten thousand years killing each other in the Crown Wars, they would probably be able to share a wealth of personal observations which could inform human lore.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  17:37:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know that knowledge of meteorites is widespread enough for there to be a (pardon the pun) universal belief about their origins...

But...

This is a setting where everyone has either seen or heard of wonders in the sky. Griffons, dragons, rocs, and other critters fly overhead, sometimes accompanied by mages or adventurers. It's said that in that distant magical land of Halruaa, mages sail the skies in ships lifted aloft by their magic. In ancient times, an entire nation floated thru the air, looking down on the land far below... Even now, in a couple of spots, towers can be seen floating well above the ground.

Knowing these things, I don't think too many people would be surprised to find out that there was something beyond the skies. They know of stuff in the skies, and in some regions, they may have legends of stuff from further away.

So, while a meteorite would certainly be something to see, I doubt divine influence would be attached to it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  17:43:34  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
So, while a meteorite would certainly be something to see, I doubt divine influence would be attached to it.

It's what happens when Spelljammers make you walk the plank...
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  00:12:18  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think they think it is a falling star - literally. That one of those very distant bits of whatever they are that Selune kindled high in the heavens has fallen to the ground, like apples fall.

What a star is is something probably debated by the sages. Consider our own children's song, "Twinkle, Twikle Little Star" - the time is not far gone when people of our own world could only speculate about the nature of the countless lights of the night sky. I imagine the same holds true on Faerun even if they have the notion of other planets as distant, orb-shaped worlds (which they do).
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  06:35:23  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember reading somewhere that adamantite ore is usually obtained from meteorites. Off the top of my head, I don't remember if that was in Volo's Guide to All things Magical, or if it was maybe in the 3E DMG. But if true that might indicate that dwarves might know a lot about meteorites due to their strong cultural interest in mining and metalurgy.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  06:43:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

I remember reading somewhere that adamantite ore is usually obtained from meteorites. Off the top of my head, I don't remember if that was in Volo's Guide to All things Magical, or if it was maybe in the 3E DMG. But if true that might indicate that dwarves might know a lot about meteorites due to their strong cultural interest in mining and metalurgy.
As I recall, VGtATM refers to adamant which has been secured from hardened volcanic flows.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2020 :  16:36:35  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Forge,

I have to agree with you here. Here is a great link to an event that happened in 400DR that brought the Star Worm into play.

Certainly, a "regular" old meteorite could hit, but it is kind of odd to think about in light of the Phlogiston, etc. now days.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/400_DR

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Forge

Bear in mind that in most instances pre-technology, these kinds of things were written off as divine in nature, and in a world where the gods are a definite and tangible force, it makes sense that they actually BE supernatural/divine, except in a few instances. If nothing else, it makes sense that the Gods would be part of preventing cataclysm from befalling their faithful except as instigated by the faithful of another diety.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2020 :  02:49:42  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2E FRA had an entry for "Star metal" in the treasure tables. No description beyond it being a tiny scrap worth an outrageous 10000GP. As reference, "King's Tears" and "Star Rubies" commanded the next highest value, 5000GP.

The name "Star Metal" suggests a metal with meteoric origin. (Unlike "Star Ruby" named for the unusually rare and brilliant sunburst-like pattern of the crystal which sets it above "ordinary" rubies worth a paltry 1000GP each.)

The value of "Star Metal" suggests it's far more than a decorative curiosity. Perhaps it can be mixed into potent alloy for manufacturing weapons and armours. Perhaps it can be an exotic component for spells and rituals. Perhaps it's a wonderfully exotic alchemical reagent.

Numerous other references to "meteoric" metals were scattered throughout 1E and 2E. Invariably described as the stuff that went into a magical weapon, armour, or item. It was quite common to read generic "made of mysterious unknown metal which fell from the heavens" fluff text for magical adventuring gear. I think it's a legacy inspired from mythology, Tolkien, etc. Metal forged in the lights of the celestial heavens, exposed to strange cosmic radiations, etc.

3E evolved towards focus on the pure mechanical +bonus aspects of things, what stats it had mattered, what it was made of didn't.

What does Spelljammer lore have to say about meteorites? Are they mined (or rather, pursued and caught) to gather ordinary or extraordinary resources - or are they just navigational hazards?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2020 :  03:18:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall some references to some groups mining asteroids, but that's about it. The focus in Spelljammer was much more on ships and people -- exploration and adventure, not mundane things like any activity that wasn't looking for something new to kill.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2020 :  14:38:13  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC Mark Taylor awhile back was musing on Toril being frequently struck by meteors and THO agreed with his idea. That the scars of the impacts are all over the place. Star Mountains being one example. The Moonsea being created by a meteor strike is another.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 20 Feb 2020 14:39:13
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2020 :  18:53:26  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As to meteoritic iron, maybe some interesting properties come from being dropped?
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

IIRC Mark Taylor awhile back was musing on Toril being frequently struck by meteors and THO agreed with his idea. That the scars of the impacts are all over the place. Star Mountains being one example. The Moonsea being created by a meteor strike is another.

If one chunk dropped in the middle of Faerun, many other impacts should be of the same origin.
IIRC the Tears of Selune were formed by the single catastrophe when the dragons tried to go all deathstar on King-Killer and missed?
Then most would not been captured on stable orbits, indeed. Most stones would fall either back or somewhere on Toril.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 20 Feb 2020 19:16:45
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2020 :  19:11:52  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

Thank you for this bet of info about the values, and even possibly the uses of it!

I think I have just found an additional story sub-arc to add to a campaign I am creating right now.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

The 2E FRA had an entry for "Star metal" in the treasure tables. No description beyond it being a tiny scrap worth an outrageous 10000GP. As reference, "King's Tears" and "Star Rubies" commanded the next highest value, 5000GP.

The name "Star Metal" suggests a metal with meteoric origin. (Unlike "Star Ruby" named for the unusually rare and brilliant sunburst-like pattern of the crystal which sets it above "ordinary" rubies worth a paltry 1000GP each.)

The value of "Star Metal" suggests it's far more than a decorative curiosity. Perhaps it can be mixed into potent alloy for manufacturing weapons and armours. Perhaps it can be an exotic component for spells and rituals. Perhaps it's a wonderfully exotic alchemical reagent.

Numerous other references to "meteoric" metals were scattered throughout 1E and 2E. Invariably described as the stuff that went into a magical weapon, armour, or item. It was quite common to read generic "made of mysterious unknown metal which fell from the heavens" fluff text for magical adventuring gear. I think it's a legacy inspired from mythology, Tolkien, etc. Metal forged in the lights of the celestial heavens, exposed to strange cosmic radiations, etc.

3E evolved towards focus on the pure mechanical +bonus aspects of things, what stats it had mattered, what it was made of didn't.

What does Spelljammer lore have to say about meteorites? Are they mined (or rather, pursued and caught) to gather ordinary or extraordinary resources - or are they just navigational hazards?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2020 :  21:05:55  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master TBeholder,

BTW, speaking of 'meteorites': using Ragnorra as a planet wide destruction tool is great for a mega plot. ;)

**I think one of my players may be spying on this...**

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

As to meteoritic iron, maybe some interesting properties come from being dropped?
quote:

If one chunk dropped in the middle of Faerun, many other impacts should be of the same origin.
IIRC the Tears of Selune were formed by the single catastrophe when the dragons tried to go all deathstar on King-Killer and missed?
Then most would not been captured on stable orbits, indeed. Most stones would fall either back or somewhere on Toril.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2020 :  21:43:20  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Star metal is defined in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, page 51. It's another name for metallic meteorites.

Note that I named the range of hills that stretches from Berun's Hill to the Twilight Tor as the Star Metal Hills.

Implications to be worked out by the DM.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2020 :  21:50:05  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the wyvernwater has a lump of star metal at the bottom of it and I wouldn't be surprised if the wyvern crown was made of the stuff.

I'm still musing over the crystal grot but I recall the monarch mordant growing into an emerald tree when it crashed, what about something similar with sapphires in the stormhorns

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2020 :  00:01:21  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

I am all over that. I will be cracking that tonight! Thank you for that!

You know, one of the many things I love about this site is that I can come on here, talk about something like this and then you roll on in with: "BTW, I named that."

That's pretty damn cool if you ask me! :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Star metal is defined in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, page 51. It's another name for metallic meteorites.

Note that I named the range of hills that stretches from Berun's Hill to the Twilight Tor as the Star Metal Hills.

Implications to be worked out by the DM.

--Eric

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2020 :  00:31:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

I think the wyvernwater has a lump of star metal at the bottom of it and I wouldn't be surprised if the wyvern crown was made of the stuff.

I'm still musing over the crystal grot but I recall the monarch mordant growing into an emerald tree when it crashed, what about something similar with sapphires in the stormhorns

The Monarch Mordent is not true emerald; it's not a precious metal or gemstone at all. It's more of an organic ceramic material.

Elven spelljammers are grown from starfly plants, and even after being grown into the shape of a Flitter, or Man-O-War, or Armada, they still continue to grow and have to periodically be pruned.

The Monarch Mordent has not received that kind of care in centuries, and being shot down by a demon means it's no longer in one piece -- so its scattered pieces have grown wild.

One does have to wonder exactly what happened to the helm that powered the ship -- Dretch has been looking for it but hasn't been able to find it. This implies that either the wreckage of the ship was scattered over a wide area -- or that someone came along afterward and did something with the helm. It could also be that the ship had some odd variant helm. It's too big for a crown of stars, but it could have had something unique or experimental on it.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Feb 2020 00:32:15
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2020 :  00:49:24  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

So, I really never did get into Spelljammer at all. I think I read a couple of things online years ago, but that was about it.

How does it associate with the Realms meaningfully?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

The Monarch Mordent is not true emerald; it's not a precious metal or gemstone at all. It's more of an organic ceramic material.

Elven spelljammers are grown from starfly plants, and even after being grown into the shape of a Flitter, or Man-O-War, or Armada, they still continue to grow and have to periodically be pruned.

The Monarch Mordent has not received that kind of care in centuries, and being shot down by a demon means it's no longer in one piece -- so its scattered pieces have grown wild.

One does have to wonder exactly what happened to the helm that powered the ship -- Dretch has been looking for it but hasn't been able to find it. This implies that either the wreckage of the ship was scattered over a wide area -- or that someone came along afterward and did something with the helm. It could also be that the ship had some odd variant helm. It's too big for a crown of stars, but it could have had something unique or experimental on it.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2020 :  02:48:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

So, I really never did get into Spelljammer at all. I think I read a couple of things online years ago, but that was about it.

Spelljammer was meant to be a way to connect the big settings of the day: Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and the Forgotten Realms.

Dark Sun and Ravenloft were around, too, but the idea of connecting them with magical space travel really didn't work well. Ravenloft is a demiplane, and a spelljamming helm would cause issues on Athas, so they weren't part of the overall goal -- though we did later find out that the Mists can reach into space to grab people.

So part of the design plan was that the big three settings were all contained within the larger Spelljammer setting... Spelljammer was literally what was going on over the heads of the folks on the ground on Faerūn.

But actual meaningful interaction? It didn't happen. They did push some Spelljammer stuff in, for a year or two, but such efforts petered off after a while. Later references popped up in places, but Spelljammer as a setting was quietly shuffled off to one side and forgotten.

Spelljammer was my first love of D&D settings, but it had its flaws. One of them was the fact that despite the intent of connecting the settings together, there didn't seem to be any coordination at all between the creative teams. Because of this, we have Spelljammer lore in the Krynnspace supplement that flat-out contradicts known Dragonlance lore (and some really weird ideas that I think never should have seen print), and Spelljammer lore in the Realmspace supplement that is entirely disconnected from any Realmlore (like a missing Moonshae castle or a group of Moonshae assassins never mentioned anywhere else).

I'm not sure there was an overall vision of where to take the Spelljammer setting after its initial development, either... There were some disconnected modules, a couple that tried to make a larger narrative, and that was about it.

I think another issue with Spelljammer was that too many people were thinking of space travel in real-world terms, and just couldn't accept things like someone strolling about, unprotected, on the deck of their wooden ship as it orbits a planet. That wasn't a design flaw, but it was something that helped doom the setting.

So, tl;dr answer: they pushed some Spelljammer into the Realms here and there and then forgot about it as Spelljammer was forgotten.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2020 :  07:42:23  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Well, it sounds like they could have done well, but just screwed it up.

I appreciate the summary!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Master Rupert,

Spelljammer was meant to be a way to connect the big settings of the day: Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and the Forgotten Realms.

Dark Sun and Ravenloft were around, too, but the idea of connecting them with magical space travel really didn't work well. Ravenloft is a demiplane, and a spelljamming helm would cause issues on Athas, so they weren't part of the overall goal -- though we did later find out that the Mists can reach into space to grab people.

So part of the design plan was that the big three settings were all contained within the larger Spelljammer setting... Spelljammer was literally what was going on over the heads of the folks on the ground on Faerūn.

But actual meaningful interaction? It didn't happen. They did push some Spelljammer stuff in, for a year or two, but such efforts petered off after a while. Later references popped up in places, but Spelljammer as a setting was quietly shuffled off to one side and forgotten.

Spelljammer was my first love of D&D settings, but it had its flaws. One of them was the fact that despite the intent of connecting the settings together, there didn't seem to be any coordination at all between the creative teams. Because of this, we have Spelljammer lore in the Krynnspace supplement that flat-out contradicts known Dragonlance lore (and some really weird ideas that I think never should have seen print), and Spelljammer lore in the Realmspace supplement that is entirely disconnected from any Realmlore (like a missing Moonshae castle or a group of Moonshae assassins never mentioned anywhere else).

I'm not sure there was an overall vision of where to take the Spelljammer setting after its initial development, either... There were some disconnected modules, a couple that tried to make a larger narrative, and that was about it.

I think another issue with Spelljammer was that too many people were thinking of space travel in real-world terms, and just couldn't accept things like someone strolling about, unprotected, on the deck of their wooden ship as it orbits a planet. That wasn't a design flaw, but it was something that helped doom the setting.

So, tl;dr answer: they pushed some Spelljammer into the Realms here and there and then forgot about it as Spelljammer was forgotten.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2020 :  15:17:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, we were discussing whether a lot of the things that have happened to Toril might not somehow be related to meteor strikes.
Some ideas that we were passing around

Halruaa's mountains and Lake Halarrah (spelling?).

The Star Mounts

The collapse that caused the great rift and the underground river that exits out the landrise (and possibly the shift that cause the landrise itself).

The jagged Priador's in Thay possibly being part of meteoric strikes (there may be multiple odd sources of magic throughout Thay). Perhaps some sources of volcanic activity in Thay are because of things buried beneath the surface rather than what we would traditionally consider as the cause for volcanic activity.

There were some more, like something near the Evereska.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2020 :  15:22:25  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

Your conjuring up of Halruaa is frickin' awesome! I agree with you. To me, that is the once place that looks like it was hit with a meteorite. Nice call!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Yeah, we were discussing whether a lot of the things that have happened to Toril might not somehow be related to meteor strikes.
Some ideas that we were passing around

Halruaa's mountains and Lake Halarrah (spelling?).

The Star Mounts

The collapse that caused the great rift and the underground river that exits out the landrise (and possibly the shift that cause the landrise itself).

The jagged Priador's in Thay possibly being part of meteoric strikes (there may be multiple odd sources of magic throughout Thay). Perhaps some sources of volcanic activity in Thay are because of things buried beneath the surface rather than what we would traditionally consider as the cause for volcanic activity.

There were some more, like something near the Evereska.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2020 :  20:55:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Star Metal on the Realms might vary from place to place.
Perhaps relatively "plentiful" in a place like Halruaa and consequently not as precious. While truly extraordinary in a place like the Moonshaes or the Underdark. (Unless the Star Metal has magical properties somehow "attuned" to the region where it fell?)

Chunks of iron ore might float around Wildspace or the Flow. Or drift through the Phlogiston into Realmspace from impossibly distance/unreachable spheres. Some ordinary, some extraordinary.

Steel is already rare and precious on Krynn, meteoric steel even more so. It is entirely absent on Athas. But steel of any grade is a subpar choice on Oerth where mitril and adamants are seemingly abundant.

Various spells (like fallen meteor or meteor swarm) cause meteoric substances to fall from the sky. Perhaps these are sometimes metallic? If so, I imagine Star Metal could be "found" on demand and consequently be less expensive on high-magic worlds (like Toril).

Planescape imposes physical and magical propertied on planes, places, and worlds - along with all the materials which come from them. A sword made of prized Baatorian Steel is a nearly worthless and powerless pointed object (worse than a local wooden stick) in Arvandor. This logic might apply to Star Metals, awesomely potent on some Primes but utterly unexceptional on others.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2020 :  22:34:41  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Aryrik,

Perhaps not as "precious", locally, but the purchase power parity of materials in other consumer markets that don't possess that kind of currency is still valuable.

Great economic effects.

Best regards.

quote:

Star Metal on the Realms might vary from place to place.
Perhaps relatively "plentiful" in a place like Halruaa and consequently not as precious. While truly extraordinary in a place like the Moonshaes or the Underdark. (Unless the Star Metal has magical properties somehow "attuned" to the region where it fell?)

Chunks of iron ore might float around Wildspace or the Flow. Or drift through the Phlogiston into Realmspace from impossibly distance/unreachable spheres. Some ordinary, some extraordinary.

Steel is already rare and precious on Krynn, meteoric steel even more so. It is entirely absent on Athas. But steel of any grade is a subpar choice on Oerth where mitril and adamants are seemingly abundant.

Various spells (like fallen meteor or meteor swarm) cause meteoric substances to fall from the sky. Perhaps these are sometimes metallic? If so, I imagine Star Metal could be "found" on demand and consequently be less expensive on high-magic worlds (like Toril).

Planescape imposes physical and magical propertied on planes, places, and worlds - along with all the materials which come from them. A sword made of prized Baatorian Steel is a nearly worthless and powerless pointed object (worse than a local wooden stick) in Arvandor. This logic might apply to Star Metals, awesomely potent on some Primes but utterly unexceptional on others.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2020 :  23:28:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Perhaps not as "precious", locally, but the purchase power parity of materials in other consumer markets that don't possess that kind of currency is still valuable.

Great economic effects.
Yes and No.

D&D sometimes preempted the obvious player strategy of getting rich by profiting from commodity value differences between settings. Such modern thinking is not properly adventurous (or medieval)! More importantly, it's hard to keep it from quickly evolving into a game-breaking exploit. Adventurers are supposed to be lean and hungry, if they're fat and jaded then they get too picky about which adventuring opportunities are worthy of their attentions, the DM loses a powerful narrative (and motivational) tool.

So spells like teleport (with or without error), gate, worldwalk, planeshift, even time travel sometimes refer to ohysical/magical laws somehow transmuting stuff from origin into equivalent stuff at destination. A common steel blade from the Realms turns into a common bronze blade when taken to Krynn, a common obsidian blade when taken to Athas, etc - whatever sort of item basically has the same value and stats in this different world. Only permanent magical items remained (mostly) unchanged, but they are universally rare and precious items in every published setting anyhow.

Many DM's routinely ignored this whole idea, most authors seemed to conveniently forget it. Others enforced (or exaggerated) the idea without mercy, they forced old-school RPG thinking on their players (ie: no "free" gold just because spellcaster; if you want gold then you gotta go adventuring, killing, or stealing; and if you get too much gold then your lifestule expenses will suddenly inflate).

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 22 Feb 2020 23:35:36
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2020 :  21:00:21  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

All interesting points you make there! :)

quote:
D&D sometimes preempted the obvious player strategy of getting rich by profiting from commodity value differences between settings.

That makes sense to me. I mean, you can ensure that those with a little obscure knowledge don't take it too far by doing so. It's a low grade governor I believe.

quote:
Such modern thinking is not properly adventurous (or medieval)!

I agree with the notion that it is not properly "adventurous" in the traditional linear storyline model.

As to medieval, that's not accurate with the understanding that there are some caveats of people dealing in such things, and not the peasants, etc. However, if we're dealing with "adventurers" who are able to to freely travel between nations with little to no resistance, etc. then these adventurers would be at the very heart of the currency trade in all likelihood. It was quite common back in medieval times to see the local currency valuation changed by usance which were commonly standardized at a rate commensurate with the distance. (deRoover, 1944 - 1968 / Mandich, 1970) Medieval purchases were also commonly done in Bills of Exchange to ensure that if goods were going from one location to another of notable economic significance, that the exchange of specie would occur in a controlled, safe environment. It removed the necessity of carrying vast quantities of specie around with ones self or caravan. So, the key here for adventurers would be to do what was very common back in medieval times: weigh the specie. If it was comprised of lesser material, i.e. silver, gold, platinum than other places, you could ask for a different rate on exchange by paying less with your more valued specie, equal if commensurate, or more if your specie is valued less. Melting it down was the next step though, once you found out who had the better specie. Since adventurer's are adventuring around far and wide anyways, not including that aspect in there sort of devalues, especially more price elastic characters, from some of the benefits of the risk they take to travel so far and wide. :)

Just collecting information alone on specie as they out and about and selling that information as an update to vendors can be a huge boon. Imagine characters adventuring far and wide from Baldur's Gate to Luiren (stopping by Cathyr in Dambrath) to discover during a trade that Dambrath has increased the amount of electrum in their Crints, in order to devalue Murghom's new discovery of (8) new veins of copper in the Mountains of Copper? They could find themselves traveling on the ocean and attacked as an incidental reality of a currency trade war. :)

That's why during the creation of each of my sandbox campaigns, I focus on ensuring that the economics of trade and currency are factored in. As conditions change in the campaign, I just update my spreadsheet with the differences, and all of a sudden, the awful weighted coin they received in 'x' only buys 20% of what it could if it were worthy more when they stop in Waterdeep for magic items. :)

Thoughts?

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

Great economic effects.
Yes and No.

D&D sometimes preempted the obvious player strategy of getting rich by profiting from commodity value differences between settings. Such modern thinking is not properly adventurous (or medieval)! More importantly, it's hard to keep it from quickly evolving into a game-breaking exploit. Adventurers are supposed to be lean and hungry, if they're fat and jaded then they get too picky about which adventuring opportunities are worthy of their attentions, the DM loses a powerful narrative (and motivational) tool.

So spells like teleport (with or without error), gate, worldwalk, planeshift, even time travel sometimes refer to ohysical/magical laws somehow transmuting stuff from origin into equivalent stuff at destination. A common steel blade from the Realms turns into a common bronze blade when taken to Krynn, a common obsidian blade when taken to Athas, etc - whatever sort of item basically has the same value and stats in this different world. Only permanent magical items remained (mostly) unchanged, but they are universally rare and precious items in every published setting anyhow.

Many DM's routinely ignored this whole idea, most authors seemed to conveniently forget it. Others enforced (or exaggerated) the idea without mercy, they forced old-school RPG thinking on their players (ie: no "free" gold just because spellcaster; if you want gold then you gotta go adventuring, killing, or stealing; and if you get too much gold then your lifestule expenses will suddenly inflate).

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2020 :  00:37:16  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So, meteorites are:

[ SPELLJAMMER ]
Meteorites are pieces of Realmspace's crystal sphere cracking and chipping and hurtling off through the void until they sometimes impact in Faerūn. Why is the crystal sphere decaying and how can it be fixed? Go boldly forth, young adventurers!

[ MATTERS OF FAITH ]
Meteorites are from the Tears of Selūne, which occasionally fall down to Faerūn, either at the inscrutable whim of a god or the nudge of the giant and terrible Sky Dragons that 'everyone knows' fly around up there in the void.

[ DND SCIENCE~! ]
The sun of Realmspace is a giant gate to the plane of elemental fire; when the borders between the planes of elemental fire and elemental earth (or quasi-elemental minerals) sometimes blur, the sun burps forth meteors which then sometimes crash into Toril.

[ I GOT YER EPIC CAMPAIGN RIGHT HERE ]
Meteorites were summoned in fell ritual in the ancient Days Before Record, by archmages of the vast and fallen empire of your choosing, to strike at their foes. Such powers are now lost to mortals, which is why all meteor strikes and starmetal deposits in Faerūn are hundreds or thousands of years old. Look out, it seems someone has re-discovered the methods of those terrible summonings!

That sound about right?

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2020 :  01:35:32  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe AJA,

I love it. I am going for the final one: I Got Your Epic Campaign Right Here!

Although, I think that is a bit self-loving, but whatever. hahaha

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by AJA

So, meteorites are:

[ SPELLJAMMER ]
Meteorites are pieces of Realmspace's crystal sphere cracking and chipping and hurtling off through the void until they sometimes impact in Faerūn. Why is the crystal sphere decaying and how can it be fixed? Go boldly forth, young adventurers!

[ MATTERS OF FAITH ]
Meteorites are from the Tears of Selūne, which occasionally fall down to Faerūn, either at the inscrutable whim of a god or the nudge of the giant and terrible Sky Dragons that 'everyone knows' fly around up there in the void.

[ DND SCIENCE~! ]
The sun of Realmspace is a giant gate to the plane of elemental fire; when the borders between the planes of elemental fire and elemental earth (or quasi-elemental minerals) sometimes blur, the sun burps forth meteors which then sometimes crash into Toril.

[ I GOT YER EPIC CAMPAIGN RIGHT HERE ]
Meteorites were summoned in fell ritual in the ancient Days Before Record, by archmages of the vast and fallen empire of your choosing, to strike at their foes. Such powers are now lost to mortals, which is why all meteor strikes and starmetal deposits in Faerūn are hundreds or thousands of years old. Look out, it seems someone has re-discovered the methods of those terrible summonings!

That sound about right?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000