Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Magister
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Saryason
Acolyte

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2005 :  19:25:57  Show Profile  Visit Saryason's Homepage Send Saryason a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Well Met!

I was wondering if i could possibly avail of your sage-like abilities to provide some information for me.

I am currently looking for 3E information on the position of Magister and any history.

Hopefully someone can provide me of some details.

Many thanks!

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2005 :  19:53:42  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magic of Faerun, page 185.

I' sure there are numerous other sources as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2005 :  20:28:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If this is the same poster from WOTC's, I'll repeat myself. :)

2e's Secrets of the Magister is the best source on every thing to do with the Magister.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  02:12:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

If this is the same poster from WOTC's, I'll repeat myself. :)

2e's Secrets of the Magister is the best source on every thing to do with the Magister.

Indeed. In addition to Kuje's suggestions, it might be worthwhile posing the question to Ed in his scroll. As long as there isn't an NDA looming over him, he may be able to share some intriguing tibits on the current Magister, or perhaps past ones.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Saryason
Acolyte

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  10:29:45  Show Profile  Visit Saryason's Homepage Send Saryason a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a wise sage once said 'sometimes repitition is the only way to learn'

Thanks for the suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  21:46:39  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magic of Faerun, 3E, pg 185, gives the description of the current magister as well as a template. The current magister, as of 1372 DR, is Talatha Vaerovree of Innarlith. She's a human Wiz17/Acm 3.

Do you want more information about her? I'd be glad to give you more, if you want.

Goblins? *Slash* *Scream* *Thunk* What goblins?
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  03:25:27  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saryason
Well Met!

I was wondering if i could possibly avail of your sage-like abilities to provide some information for me.

I am currently looking for 3E information on the position of Magister and any history.

Many thanks!

Perhaps if one is like me, currently short handed of important FR materials like magic of faerun, perhaps you may like to take a look at this but provided your PC can support PDF formats.

http://www.montecook.com/images/Magister_preview.pdf

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  05:51:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

quote:
Well Met!

Many thanks!

Perhaps if one is like me, currently short handed of important FR materials like magic of faerun, perhaps you may like to take a look at this but provided your PC can support PDF formats.

Err... That is not really appropriate to reflect the nature of the "sole" Magister in the Realms.

That particular class you've linked to on Monte's site is actually a character class that players can choose to take when campaigning in the Diamond Throne setting. And as such, there's little actual relation between the magisters of Arcana Unearthed and THE Magister in FR -- that is, besides their names.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  08:15:01  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

quote:
Well Met!

Many thanks!

Err... That is not really appropriate to reflect the nature of the "sole" Magister in the Realms.

That particular class you've linked to on Monte's site is actually a character class that players can choose to take when campaigning in the Diamond Throne setting. And as such, there's little actual relation between the magisters of Arcana Unearthed and THE Magister in FR -- that is, besides their names.

My mistake, I apologise for the confusion caused.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  16:05:24  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a little more info on the Magister from Magic of Faerun.
quote:

The Magister is the mage chosen by the deities of magic to encourage the ever-wider use of magic in Faerun and to promote its availability and utility.

The Matgister is usually a reclude, avoiding publicity and active contact with other powerful beings in the world. This is not because the office of Magister is a curse or because the Magister threatens others, but because many mages believe the office of Magister is something that can be acquired by slaying the current Magister, and so the Magister is forced to defend herself time and agin in useless spell-battles.

Most people assume that one becomes the Magister by killing the current office-holder. While in the past ... [this has been true] ... Azuth has taken steps to alter the selection procedure, feeling that this method is too chaotic and that far too many talented Magisters have been lost to the greed of rival spellcasters. Now the Chosen of Azuth nominates Magisters, and one of them is selected by [Azuth] himself ...

Only one Magister exists at any time. If a Magister leaves office, ... she is given the option to serve the deities of magic in other ways, such as becoming a sentient magic item or being reborn as a person with a great gift of Magic. Some choose to rejoin the ranks of the Chosen of Azuth.

As a result of access to centuries of magical knowledge possessed by prior Magisters as well as those spells maintained by the deities of magic, assume that the Magister's spellbooks contain all sorcerer/wizard spells in the [PHB] and the [FRCS]. Additionally, the Magister has available many rare spells, including those often connected with an individual mage or magical organization. The magister shares such rare spells with others only when given permission to do so by the spell's designer.

Well, that's most of the description of what a Magister is in MoF. That book has two and a half pages of details about what the Magister is, how to add that specific template, and who the current Magister is, along with her stats.

I hope I didn't go on too long here!

Goblins? *Slash* *Scream* *Thunk* What goblins?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  02:27:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thureen Buroch

Well, that's most of the description of what a Magister is in MoF. That book has two and a half pages of details about what the Magister is, how to add that specific template, and who the current Magister is, along with her stats.

I hope I didn't go on too long here!

As Kuje stated earlier, the 2e tome Secrets of the Magister is THE source for all-things-Magister. It is an entire sourcebook dedicated to detailing the power, position, and history of this heavily important role in the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2020 :  20:09:06  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Saryason (and others still interested),

The only 3e source I could find is the Serpent Kingdoms accessory, on page 102.

Best regards,

quote:

Well Met!

Many thanks!

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000