Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Thamiar
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2017 :  09:56:09  Show Profile Send Thamiar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Eric is no longer looking on this forum :(
I also tried to contact him via e-mail, but with no results.
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2017 :  15:14:54  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was reading through the Waterdeep Environs WE and noticed that there isn't an entry for the Sword Hills (number 21 on the map) and I can't find any information on them anywhere else. Was there an entry at one point but it was cut? Thank you in advance!

Edit: (found a reference about Morlin being the Lord Protector of the hills)
Edit: I'm discovering just how much of what I'm guessing is 'Illefarn Anew' you've posted from page 33 onwards (thanks to Markus' Daggerford Environs map) and have thus seen the various Talassan lore about the Sword Hills too.

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1

Edited by - Duneth Despana on 23 Jul 2017 18:32:54
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2017 :  13:11:32  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Boyd, me and some other sages here in Candlekeep were wondering about a valley which appears in the old Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas, in the North. It is the Valley of Klaidson, located between the Lurkwood and the Spine of the World, near the Fell Pass, and we wanted further info on it. Since all locations in the FRIA are canonical, according to Mr. Krashos, and in our searches we didn't find the original source, he suggested us to ask you. Can you please help us?

EDIT: In the original post I forgot mentioning the name of the valley...

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 17 Oct 2017 11:49:50
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2017 :  19:55:58  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any info on how Indigar Loravatha is related to Sonja Loravatha who married Conan Daggerford?

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Shining Baronies
================
Along the periphery of the Duchy of Daggerford are seven nominally independent baronies, all of which can trace their investiture back to the Realm of Three Crowns, the Kingdom of Man, or the splinter kingdoms that arose in the wake of Delimbiyran’s collapse. Individual barons may claim additional titles (e.g. several claim the title of King of Man), but most are commonly accorded the rank of baron and collectively known the Shining Barons.
Although nominally independent, none of the Shining Baronies are strong enough to survive without maintaining a strong defensive and trading alliance with the Duke of Daggerford, with the possible exception of Delantar and Floshin Estates. Such ties were further strengthened during the Dragonspear War, when soldiers in the employ of the various Shining Barons formed companies under the banner of the Duke of Daggerford. The Shining Barons and the Duke of Daggerford collectively make up the Council of Man, a forum for adjudicating disputes between realms and acting with common purpose against foes of the Lawkeeper races. Although the Duke of Daggerford or any of the Shining Barons may call for a convening of the Council of Man, the Duke of Daggerford traditionally chairs all such councils.
The current roster of Shining Barons includes:
• Baron Cromm Redhand (CG male Illuskan human fighter 3, see Mission 1) of Tavboryn, which encompasses the rolling hills along the eastern edge of the Lizard Marsh;
• Baron Targarth Longhorn of Ardeepsward (NG male Illuskan human ranger 1/knight 1), which encompasses the lightly wooded open land between the Ardeep Forest and the Sea of Swords;
• Lord Elorfindar Floshin of Floshin Estates (see Chapter 2), which encompasses the open lands between the town of Daggerford and Ardeep Forest;
• High Knight Indigar Loravatha of Loravtha (LN male Illuskan human knight 3), which encompasses a winding, narrow valley in the northwestern Forlorn Hills, including the famous ruin known as the Crumbling Stair;
• Baron Agwain Delantar (CN male Illuskan human __, see Mission 3) of Delantar, which encompasses the lands along the northern bank of the River Delimbiyr between Julkoun and Secomber;
• Baroness Taera Shimmerstar of Starnaer (CG female half-wood-elf ranger 3), which encompasses the verdant vale between the Sword Hills and the Misty Forest, south of the River Delimibyr;
• Baron-in-Waiting Nanthar Harcourt of Vaelendaer (LN male Tethyrian human knight 3), which once encompassed the lands north of Dragonspear Castle, in the crook of land between the Misty Forest and the High Moor, but has not been settled for two centuries or more.

Most of the Shining Barons command little more than a crumbling keep and a handful of hamlets. While they are accorded some measure of respect in the Lower Delimbiyr Vale, their titles would get them little more than spit in their drink in most taverns in the City of Splendors. The baron-in-waiting of Vaelendaer now commands the soldiers defending on the Way Inn on behalf of the Lords’ Alliance.

--Zoomable Map of Faerun--
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2017 :  05:12:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sonjara Loravatha was likely his great-aunt.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2017 :  13:12:31  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Sonjara Loravatha was likely his great-aunt.

-- George Krashos

Are you basing that just off the titles and the timeline or is there more info on this family out there that I haven't come across?

--Zoomable Map of Faerun--
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2017 :  17:53:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Timeline. There is no more information.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2019 :  03:45:03  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey all. Just wanted to say hi. Life got busy and I'm kind of an all or nothing kind of guy, so I had to walk away from the Realms for a while.

All that said, my 14 year old son is now running me (playing a party of four 5e adventurers) through Waterdeep Dragon Heist and we are having a grand old time.

Swords high!

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2019 :  07:32:05  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Eric, your presence has been sorely missed. George has been hard pressed (and doing an awesome job) by the endless avalanche of lore requests from insatiable realms fanatics, and I had hoped you might be able to convert him away from the growing trend of embracing 5e but I can see that they have gotten you too, soon there will be no more old grognards left.

It will be good to have another loremasters input in the halls again. I do hope your return also heralds the continuation of work on a particular project that many of us hope to one day glimpse the final draft.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2019 :  08:41:14  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Out of interest how did you get your children interested in rpgs. I have two girls and if it isn't involving a Barbie it doesn't get played with. I'm considering dusting off my old heroquest box and trying that

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2019 :  10:53:06  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Out of interest how did you get your children interested in rpgs. I have two girls and if it isn't involving a Barbie it doesn't get played with. I'm considering dusting off my old heroquest box and trying that

Sounds like the Barbies need to form an adventuring company!

In all seriousness, if they are not too young, take them through an adventure, each playing a Barbie. Don't worry about stats or equipment. Just ask them questions what they do. Assign a difficulty level in your head on a scale of 1 to 20, and if they beat it, they succeed. Give them lots of successes.

Heck, you can call it B&B!

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2019 :  10:54:33  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Welcome back Eric, your presence has been sorely missed. George has been hard pressed (and doing an awesome job) by the endless avalanche of lore requests from insatiable realms fanatics, and I had hoped you might be able to convert him away from the growing trend of embracing 5e but I can see that they have gotten you too, soon there will be no more old grognards left.

It will be good to have another loremasters input in the halls again. I do hope your return also heralds the continuation of work on a particular project that many of us hope to one day glimpse the final draft.

No promises, but I'll try to check back from time to time.

FWIW, I never said I had embraced 5e, but my son likes the rules and he asked me to play. :-)

--
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2019 :  12:44:18  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A shrek 3 style adventure involving Disney princess type characters might not be a bad idea, a bit of a parody on the adventurer rescues the princess, instead the princesses escape by themselves and save the day.

Good call. My 9 year old is probably at the right age, but my 6 year old might be a bit on the young side.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2019 :  19:55:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Sounds like the Barbies need to form an adventuring company!

In all seriousness, if they are not too young, take them through an adventure, each playing a Barbie. Don't worry about stats or equipment. Just ask them questions what they do. Assign a difficulty level in your head on a scale of 1 to 20, and if they beat it, they succeed. Give them lots of successes.

Heck, you can call it B&B!

My girlfriend's daughter had a bunch of tinkerbell and her fairy friends. I had a bunch of dungeon building blocks (i.e. floor, wall, etc... that you put together to make a 3d dungeon). I let her build the dungeon. I then populated it with miniatures, stuck one fairy friend in there, and had "tinkerbell" have to rescue her. I then had her tell me what tinkerbell would do and just told her numbers she had to roll to make it happen against each mini. She LOVES playing "Dungeon" now, and periodically I just dump out all the stuff and let her build a dungeon out of the parts.

Will she ever play true D&D? I highly doubt it, but she had fun, and so did I.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Mankyle
Acolyte

Spain
42 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2019 :  16:46:51  Show Profile Send Mankyle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there Mr. Boyd

I'm nos doing for my own use an interactive pdf of waterdeep using the awesome Maps of the wards that come with Waterdeep Dragon Heist.

I'm linking locations in the map to their respective descriptions but I'm having important voids regarding some (or most) of waterdeep's noble families.

Of course, the Cassalanters, Gralhunds and Rosznars (plus some details about the Moonstars such as the matriarch and her half drow nephew) are well described in W:DH and W:DotMM, but I wanted to know if there is something akin to the Waterdeep City of Esplendors Web Enhancement.

It is very old but I still find it useful from time to time.

I would love a document with a short description of each noble family plus Adventure seeds and NPC names.

Thanks from Spain
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2019 :  17:23:41  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

a couple of questions spawned by the Mages and Sages podcast:
- my english is failing in giving me a spelling for the name of "... the Thrice-Spawned" demon that you mentioned, could you assist a not-native english speaker by writing it down?
- what is the event happening in the canon late 1360s that you wanted to avoid in your campaigns, if you can say? My first suspects are the events of the Baldur's Gate novels/games but I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2019 :  05:19:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The type VI demon is Arcanrathnar.

— George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2019 :  10:18:30  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Hi Eric,

a couple of questions spawned by the Mages and Sages podcast:
- my english is failing in giving me a spelling for the name of "... the Thrice-Spawned" demon that you mentioned, could you assist a not-native english speaker by writing it down?
- what is the event happening in the canon late 1360s that you wanted to avoid in your campaigns, if you can say? My first suspects are the events of the Baldur's Gate novels/games but I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks!

George got the name right, although saying Type VI is a little deceptive.

If you compare Daggerford as of N5 - Under Illefarn (1357 DR) to the Daggerford detailed in the North boxed set (1367 DR), and compare it building by building, you'll spot a lot of problems. By keeping the module in 1357 DR, I could avoid explaining why I invalidated a bunch of poorly done Realmslore in 1367 DR in terms of how Daggerford was detailed.

--Eric

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 07 Apr 2019 10:23:17
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2019 :  12:33:59  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks both!

Looking forward for the next installments of the podcast and the teasers.
Go to Top of Page

JasonDGraham
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  16:37:04  Show Profile Send JasonDGraham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any other source material or novels that mention the Savants of the Dark Tide / Sargauth Swimmer beneath Waterdeep? Any notes on what's happened with them in the 100+ years since City of Splendors?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  21:44:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a new mages and sages podcast came out? What's that link again?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2019 :  01:20:25  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Mages & Sages Fans of Ed Greenwood: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAHDaW5vHsjUi8KYuacj4fA

The last posted segment is still showing as four weeks ago, but their Facebook page says (Apr 24):
quote:
Addendum: the final segment of the first interview with Eric Boyd will come out this week. We had some technical difficulties we had to deal with on the last half but should be good to get it out by this weekend.

And that there's a new one to be recorded with Eric and George for May 3rd.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2019 :  01:55:27  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd really like if those videos had subs.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2019 :  01:12:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Subs? What are subs?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2019 :  17:42:57  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Subtitles, maybe?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2019 :  18:16:21  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Subs? What are subs?

-- George Krashos

I think he'd like to be able to replace that hack Eric Boyd with the all-time great Steven Schend, for example. "That was a terrible answer to that elf question. Sub in Mr. Schend!!!"

--
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2019 :  00:58:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Subs? What are subs?

-- George Krashos

I think he'd like to be able to replace that hack Eric Boyd with the all-time great Steven Schend, for example. "That was a terrible answer to that elf question. Sub in Mr. Schend!!!"

Harsh. But fair.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2019 :  01:19:54  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sub-titles would be my guess as well.

Me, I would just be happy with timestamps. I know the assembled mages and sages ramble and weave in and out of subjects (which I love), but just a brief time/description of where the main query starts, like;
quote:
0:00 Introduction
3:15 Eric with a terrible answer to an elf question
7:50 George talks about the correct regional pronunciations of Im-PEEL-tur vs. Im-PILL-tur
13:45 Ed discusses the nine distinct birthmarks on Alustriel's breasts
would be great.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2019 :  07:04:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's Im-PULL-tur.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2019 :  22:21:54  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Subs? What are subs?

-- George Krashos

Just answer in Steven's deep Wisconsian accent and no one will tell the difference....

The only good Drow, is a dead Drow.

Aaomas Balkrim, Drow Hunter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000