Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  16:15:26  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In your right up for Kelson ''Darktreader'' Floshin you mention the Daughter of Silvanus.

''Kelson’s singleminded focus makes him a relentless foe of all surviving fiends, but the endless battle has also increasingly distanced him from his divine patron, the Daughter of Silvanus, leaving him a grim figure, given to dark, gallows humor.''

Who is this?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  16:21:46  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alternate name for Mielikki.

Clearly you didn't check the master list of god synonyms (aka F&A, P&P, DD).

:-)

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  16:29:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Alternate name for Mielikki.

Clearly you didn't check the master list of god synonyms (aka F&A, P&P, DD).

:-)

--Eric

I was about to add that info, myself.

From page 112 of Faiths & Avatars (still one of my fave FR resources):

quote:
Mielikki is allied with and in the serviced of Silvanus, and with the growing power of that god she was being diminished in her own right. In 1369 DR, she radically reorganized her priesthood, and the boost in power this gave her has forestalled her decline and allowed her to establish her own realm in the Outer Planes for the first time. Her followers had already added the title “Daughter to Silvanus” to her other names previous to this point as an honorarium, causing some confusion since she is not Silvanus’s daughter.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Oct 2014 16:29:19
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  17:11:11  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course you just found a timeline discrepancy!

Since my write-up was current in 1357 DR, that's not an appropriate title!

--
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  17:15:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did not catch that, but I'm happy to inadvertently assist!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  17:25:44  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Castle Calandor
==========
The frozen ruins of Castle Calandor lie on the western slopes of the Forlorn Hills, just north of the Delimbiyr Route. The centuries-old seat of the Duchy of Caladorn is thought to date back to the Year of Consuming Ice (36 DR), when it was built atop the entrance to a Netherese tomb (itself a repurposed Miyeritari outpost) that came to be known as Calan’s Door. Although the dukes of Calandor are believed to have plundered much of the tomb’s wealth, legends persist that great treasures still exist in the depths. The means of accessing the tomb have long been forgotten, and it is thought to have been centuries since Calan’s Door has swung open. The castle itself was destroyed by the white wyrm Cortulorrulagalargath in the Year of the Advancing Wind (947 DR) and is now a haunted, shattered shell, still cloaked in ice, even in the summer heat.

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  17:27:07  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hellwrought Lands
============
In scattered regions of the High Moor, all manner of spellwrought effects have seemed to linger for decades, if not centuries. It is thought that the origin of these hellwrought lands is tied in some way to the lingering effects of the Crown Wars, scars upon the landscape where the Weave never fully healed from the Dark Disaster due to the interaction of the killing storms unleashed by the High Mages of Aryvandaar and the mythals of ancient Miyeritar.
Conditions in the Hellwrought Lands are caused in some fashion by spells cast upon the land interacting with the underlying distortions in the Weave. The Fire Marshes, now perhaps the most common of the Hellwrought Lands, are thought to date back to the time of Daeros Dragonspear, when sorcerors in the half-dwarf’s employ created towering walls of fire to sweep across the landscape, consuming countless trolls in a fiery inferno. While the fires quickly died out in most areas of the High Moor, they have continued to smolder in other regions, only to explode in geysers of fire at unpredictable intervals.
While most creatures avoid the Hellwrought Lands whenever possible, a few indivudals, like the copper dragon Aaronarra (CN male very old copper dragon) take full advantage of the challenging conditions of the Hellwrought Lands to establish a secure lair.

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  17:29:22  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hah! Didn't remember I had posted that one already. Revised to be something new

#L21. Shimmerstar Estate
================
The barons of Starnaer have long owned this two-story wooden hall, splitting their time between Daggerford and their holdings on the verge of the Misty Forest. The building is decorated with ornate wooden carvings, some of which were brought here from an ancient ruin of Narivaemista (the elven duchy that encompassed the Misty Forest). Although Baroness Taera Shimmerstar of Starnaer (CG female half-wood-elf ranger 3) is rarely in residence, her nephew, Lord Athgar Shimmerstar (NG male human aristocrat 2) and his family reside here for most of the year, and he represents her interests in the ducal court.
There are persistent rumors of a one-way portal behind a secret panel that leads to the Forest Kingdom of Cormyr, but the existence of such a portal has never been confirmed.

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 22 Oct 2014 17:41:47
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  17:30:03  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, that's it for teasers today!

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  17:38:00  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait a minute, I'm certain I just read River Delimbiyr on page 39.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  22:26:51  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Eric. It may interest you to know there are a few snippets regarding the Auskovyn drow and portals under the Sisterhood of Essembra in DoF.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  23:52:54  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Thanks, Eric. It may interest you to know there are a few snippets regarding the Auskovyn drow and portals under the Sisterhood of Essembra in DoF.

Thanks! Saw that too when I was looking up that reference for the other question.

--
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  01:11:55  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice new Realmslore Eric! :)

Edited by - Eilserus on 23 Oct 2014 01:12:14
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  12:13:37  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Silvermarches handbook the "Elven Port" is mentioned. I assume that this is where all elves departed for the Retreat. Why is there not more accurate information on such an important location.

I'm thinking the "Grey Havens/Cimbar"

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 23 Oct 2014 12:22:02
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  12:17:16  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strangely enough this ruin is controlled by the House of Floshin. Can you expand upon this?

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 23 Oct 2014 12:26:53
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  12:20:41  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If this is controlled by the fey-ri, where do those elves seeking to Retreat find passage to Evermeet?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  12:25:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe House Floshin was one of the elven houses of Siluvanede that listened to the whispers of House Dlardrageth and eventually became the Fey'ri that were imprisoned and then more recently released by Sarya Dlardrageth.

Some good members of House Floshin survive in Daggerford i believe, where they seek to atone for the actions of their ancestors.

It wouldnt surprise me to hear that the good guys of House Floshin were involved in the Kingdom of Man at some point (in fact i wouldnt be surprised if the fey'ri were involved with it as well but trying to bring it down and work against their good kin).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  12:29:29  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elven Port = Aerendal.

Aerendal was abandoned when Eaerlann fell in 882 DR. The Retreat did not begin until 1344 DR.

I've written up some information, but it's not a focus of what I'm developing.

--Eric

quote:

In the Silvermarches handbook the "Elven Port" is mentioned. I assume that this is where all elves departed for the Retreat. Why is there not more accurate information on such an important location.

I'm thinking the "Grey Havens/Cimbar"

--
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  12:30:12  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, yes. All that is detailed in this scroll and the Silvermarches, but I'm looking for more.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 23 Oct 2014 12:40:55
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  12:34:34  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So where is the focus of the (current/present pre 4e) Retreat? I doubt they took a boat out of Waterdeep.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 23 Oct 2014 12:46:35
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  12:44:53  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apologies. My brain sometimes askes me questions to which I have no answer.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  12:46:03  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So where is the focus of the Retreat? I doubt they took a boat out of Waterdeep.

According to Dragon #128, page 8:

"The elves have all gone overseas to Evermeet via many covert voyages aboard The Morning Bird, a ship owned by Mirt the Moneylender, a local merchant of Waterdeep."

That reference is specifically talking about the moon elves of Ardeep Forest in 1344 DR. I'm sure they got to Evermeet by other means as well, and previous waves left in earlier years.

Another reference of interest is in FR11 - Dwarves Deep, page 56, in the midst of describing the borders of Phalorm, the Realm of Three Crowns, one of several kingdoms later known as *the* Fallen Kingdom.

"There it turned westwards to the sea, to the Seatower of Ilinyth.
Before this fortress was blasted to rubble by fell magic, it served as a watchtower seawards, and as a base for mounted patrols defending the Kingdom against troll and bugbear attacks in the area. It also allowed elves to quietly take ship there by night, flying by magical means down the rugged cliff to board vessels that then slipped away towards Evermeet. It is thought that over 7,000 elves slipped away from the faltering Kingdom before its fall in this way, leaving the bloodshed and tumult of Faerun behind."

Note this was hundreds of years ago.

--Eric

PS "Elven Port" was located far up the River Delimbiyr, near Hellgate Keep.

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 23 Oct 2014 13:00:48
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  12:53:39  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, so they DID take a boat from Waterdeep, still, despite my spellchecker, it seems a little contrived. Logically speaking I would think that retaining a SINGLE port would be of the utmost imperative.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  12:57:39  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Alright, so they DID take a boat from Waterdeep, still, despite my spellchecker, it seems a little contrived. Logically speaking I would think that retaining a SINGLE port would be of the utmost imperative.

Edited above post to be clearer and provide more info.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  13:10:14  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still see major logistical problems with this. Plainly speaking, it makes no sense.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  13:14:52  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's be real, Mirt is nothing but a drug-dealer, slumlord, and habitual murderer. All for the greater good.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  12:44:18  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woo! I'm so excited about your High Forest project! Curious and teased, very much so ;-P ! I hope WotC will agree to publish it, so that you get paid for your work and we can get a pretty hardcover book with great artwork to add to our realmslore collection.

I've been digging further and (besides the DoF passage Fellfire mentioned) I was also very intrigued about this passage in Champions of Ruin:
"One can never be sure where and how Malkizid is attempting to influence elven affairs. A number of scholars have speculated on a link between their ancient foe and the drow invasion of Cormanthor." and Dheembleth seems like someone who could easily have some kind of connection to at least someone in either/or Auzkovyn/Dragon's Hoard/Mizztyre's band (in the case Misstyre's band isn't the Auzkovyn vanguard, but your take on it does make sense).

Of course every clan member will have taken Auzkovyn as their surname. I'm wondering about the founder. If Auzkovyn maybe was his given name and he used to have a Qu'ellar surname. (for example Auzkovyn Uoswiir*).

*at random

quote:

I'm just assuming "Auzkovyn" is the surname, as it makes it easier (for me at least). Note also that some tribes (of any race) use clan names as surnames, so it seemed logical.

--Eric

PS For the curious, I'm doing a write-up of the High Forest and some adventures, like I did for Under Illefarn Anew. Clocking in at 176 pages so far. Will grow significantly before I'm done.

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1

Edited by - Duneth Despana on 24 Oct 2014 13:02:15
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  15:41:00  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Castle Calandor
==========
The frozen ruins of Castle Calandor lie on the western slopes of the Forlorn Hills, just north of the Delimbiyr Route. The centuries-old seat of the Duchy of Caladorn is thought to date back to the Year of Consuming Ice (36 DR), when it was built atop the entrance to a Netherese tomb (itself a repurposed Miyeritari outpost) that came to be known as Calan’s Door. Although the dukes of Calandor are believed to have plundered much of the tomb’s wealth, legends persist that great treasures still exist in the depths. The means of accessing the tomb have long been forgotten, and it is thought to have been centuries since Calan’s Door has swung open. The castle itself was destroyed by the white wyrm Cortulorrulagalargath in the Year of the Advancing Wind (947 DR) and is now a haunted, shattered shell, still cloaked in ice, even in the summer heat.

Not to muddle the waters with speculation, but mayhaps is there some hidden link between the old Duchy of Caladorn and Waterdeep's House Cassalanter (specifically Caladorn Cassalanter, the house heir and secret Lord of the city)? Or was that a typo buried therein?

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  17:58:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why Mr. Schend, you just gave me an idea for a humorous story set in the Realms. I call it 'Royal Blood'.

quote:

Let's be real, Mirt is nothing but a drug-dealer, slumlord, and habitual murderer. All for the greater good.
While some of that may be true (but spinning things rather nefariously), the problem you have with the Realms is the same problem most folks have with the Realms, and I am including a lot of designers, authors, and just about every cartographer that has ever worked on it: limited vision.

You see the map, and you say, "thats it?" If you saw a map of the United States just three hundred years ago, you might wonder what all the hubub was about as well. Or if you looked at a map of the Afghanistan region, you would never realize it once held one of the largest, most powerful states in prehistoric times.

Time. No... TIME.
Oh, how people seem to forget this, especially mapping the poor Realms. Read the Prayers from the Faithful and Pages from the Mages tomes - the coast of Faerûn has altered dramatically, even over the past 1000 years. Entire realms have just disappeared, along with whole chains of islands! This isn't 'fantasy' - it happens all the time, even in the real world. Now lets just pick two places that do still exist (sort of) but are 'gone' - Tavaray, and Uthtower - both major ports at one time (around the time of Athalantar). Now, considering their proximity to several major elven forests (forests, BTW, that were all connected at one time, and all connected to the High Forest at the time of the Crown Wars), who's to say Elves didn't leave through them? So many places that no longer appear on our maps, along with places we've never even heard of - entire elven, dwarven, and human empires that remain 'unmapped' to this day.

But lets just say - for argument' sake - that elves are too xenophobic to have done that. Most of those forests went right up to the coast, and in what places the cliffs (or lack there-of) would allow, I am sure the elves had other 'elven ports'. Maybe not like the great cities humans built - probably much simpler affairs. Enough, I would imagine, to allow the slow and steady exodus of elves that wanted to leave - its not like they all appeared on the coast at the exact same time. The reason why we have no record of that is much the same reason why we do not have much record of smaller Roman or Ancient Greek settlements. History tends to overlook the majority and focus on the important. And besides, why would the Elves even share that knowledge with humans (us)? Man tends to plunder ancient sites, and desecrate them.

But lets go a step further - Gates (portals). Lots and lots of gates. That would mean that in the past, Faerûn had many more working gates (gasp! Its almost like... the main premise!) Gates that are no longer functional, have been forgotten about, or most probably - shut-down or obscured by the Elves themselves. I am not saying there were hundreds of gates leading into Evermeet (I can think of only one off the top of my head), but they are part of a network - a secret network of gates - used by the Elves, in much the same way as slaves used the 'underground railroad' here in America. So they may have all wound-up in the same place, but that doesn't mean they all took the same exact path - all it would take is one gate that all the others 'funneled' into.

And not all of them left, and not all of them waited until it was made an 'official thing' by the elven council. Elves had been going to Evermeet for thousands of years. Elves have also been in major decline since the Crown Wars. After that, attrition against faster-breeding races (humans & orcs) cut their numbers dramatically. By the time 'The Retreat' was officially announced, they had already been in retreat, whether they realized it or not. And not all of them went to Evermeet - some went to Evereska, or joined sea-elven communities, or even went to live with their more 'primitive' cousins in southern forests.

No, 'The Retreat' wasn't something that just happened one day, and all the Elves on the planet got on boats and sailed across the sea. Like everything else with the long-lived races, it was a very slow and methodical process, and one that humans would not be made aware of until most of it was over (lest they attack the elven realms while they were weak, and not everyone had left).

So TIME... time can hide so much. We are NOT talking about centuries here. We are talking about a span of time LONGER then all recorded human history here on Earth. Thats a LOT of elbow-room for lore we've never heard about. The problem you propose only stems from the idea that The Retreat actually started when Elves told humans about it, when in fact, it was probably mostly over by then.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Oct 2014 18:22:32
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2014 :  01:06:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it was a typo Steven, but I like where your head's at.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000