Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  17:23:32  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well you also have Northkeep and Maos down there.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2012 :  05:52:59  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Hi Eric,

I've been tinkering around in the Underdark and will be using Maerimydra soon and had a few questions about the original vision for the city you mentioned in the information below several years back:

On September 27, 2006 Eric Boyd said: Also note that they didn't put Maerimydra where I intended it to be in CotSQ, although the placement is reasonable. Drawing on a my conversation with Ed, I intended it to be under the Moonsea (or nearly so), as you can guess from a close reading of DDGttU.
Basically the only real changes would be to make the connection via Haptooth Hill far less important and to make the infamous "sea drow" of "The Moonsea" part of this settlement (but in a radically different way than the rumors posited in "The Moonsea"). I had this weird idea at the time that the drow might have clear domes in the roof of their cavern popping up into the sea floor. So you could levitate up and stand in air on the floor of the Moonsea.

Was there anything specific or interesting about Maerimydra that never made it in published lore? I'm really curious as to what you mean by "make the infamous "sea drow" of "The Moonsea" part of this settlement (but in a radically different way than rumors posited in "The Moonsea")." Is there anything you can share regarding this?

I like the idea of crystal domes. Aside from the most likely beautiful view, I could see those chambers being used as a form of betting games where drow bet on aquatic spiders and which ones bring something back dead first wins or the hunting of crabs and other Moonsea delicacies.

Thank you. :)

It's been a while, but I think I was basically saying ...

1) I'm not sure "sea drow," as described in The Moonsea, is a good idea. (I'm loathe to introduce new intelligent races for little reason.) However, rumors of "sea drow" (similar to what is stated as fact in The Moonsea) would be a good distortion of what's really there (see #2).

2) Make Maerimydra a classic drow settlement, but with domes that let them see the sea floor and stout timbers purloined from sunken ships. Unlike Menzo, the drow of this city would probably have all sorts of magic that lets them explore the depths of the Moonsea. I can picture drow warriors swimming through the depths, battling the leviathans of the deep for treasure plundered from Moonsea wrecks.

Lot of good ideas here and the above posts. Thank you very much! :)

How would you see sailing vessels in the Moondeep Sea? I always pictured V'elddrinnsshar as one city, and maybe even Maerimydra if bordering the shores, that would have some sort of watercraft for trade, raiding, warfare etc.

Ships with sails don't seem to make much sense, unless there's wind on that big of a body of water. If supplies in the underdark are more rare on the surface, then trade caravans shouldn't contain as much cargo, so one wouldn't think there would be massive ships. Boats could have oars, paddle wheels, towed by aquatic spiders or other weird monsters, but would they have masts like surface ships? I had this idea of Lolthite slave ships with prisoners in spider web cocoons hanging from the masts of a vessel, but wasn't sure if they would even have them to begin with.

I was curious what you thought about larger underdark watercraft.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2012 :  15:51:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think an Underdark ship would have any masts... Not only is there the lack of wind, to keep in mind, there is also the fact that masts are tall -- and not many places in the Underdark will accomodate them.

Oars, towing, or some form of magical propulsion (like a bound water elemental) would be far more likely.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2012 :  16:05:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd really only think biremes and triremes would be relevant upon extensive bodies of water in the Underdark. Like the Glimmersea, for example. I'd imagine most smaller bodies would regular see the use of more mid-sized vessels, like rowed/towed water craft. And it's not like the drow suffer from a shortage of demi-human/monstrous slaves for motive power.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  06:52:29  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How about:

Dragaryn (Sunseared Sentinels)

(From my notes:
Drag- Hatred
Ar- Sun
Keryn Warrior

--Eric

Awesome, Eric. Thank you. Sorry for the belated gratitude, I've been VERY busy.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2012 :  07:45:47  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric !
We know that dopplegangers were humans. So, theoretically, they believe (or believed) in the human pantheon. What would be their "favourite" human gods ? Do they keep faith in the human pantheon or do they change pantheon when they grow up ?

Regards,
Volo

Edited by - Marco Volo on 05 Oct 2012 07:46:44
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2012 :  11:48:10  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

I wrote a question in "Sages of Realmslore" about past battles, and some occurred in Daggerford, so Markustay wisely suggested me to ask you about the info requested. Below, the original questions:

Dear sages,

Can you please help me discovering the exact dates of some battles of the Realms? I have some priests of Tempus in my game that would know the day of these battles, and consider them holy days (as per Faiths & Avatars). So, I'd like to know specifically about:

- The final battle of the Moonshae Druid Queen trilogy, in which Grond Peaksmasher intervenes, in 1365 DR;
- The Battle of Daggerford in 1363 DR;
- The establishment of the Hold of the Battle Lions in the Dragonspear Castle, in 1315 DR;
- The first and second Dragonspear wars, in 1356 and 1363 DR respectivelly.

Thank you in advance, fellows.

The last question, of course, is about the final/climatic battle of the wars. Hope you can help!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 19 Oct 2012 11:48:44
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  04:35:58  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, I am not sure if this has been asked here already. But George Krashos mentioned you did 3E stats for the "City of Splendors: Waterdeep" book but it got cut. Would you be willing to share that here for us to use in our 3E games?

Here is the thread page I got word of it from.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11779&whichpage=4
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  10:21:57  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another question I made and Markustay suggested me to ask you:

Hi, sages!

I've been looking for more info about the final fall of the Fallen Kingdom, I mean the one that was founded by the elven refugees of Ascalhorn and dwarves of the Forlorn Hills. When was its end? What happened to their people? (...) Any source I can research, besides 3.5 the Great History, Lost Empires or 2e Hellgate Keep?

I actually couldn't find the year it ended, and Mr. Krashos told me he understood this alliance hadn't lasted even one year. Not wanting to question him, but I haven't considered this because I think an alliance that never happened or couldn't last for more than one year maybe would not be registered in historical records... That's why I thought it only missed its end date, at first. Any info about it, or other indication?

EDIT: In my original question, I was thinking that this "Fallen Kingdom" was the one that fell to "orcs or goblinoids", but this reference I found in my researches is related to the "Kingdom of Man".

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 05 Nov 2012 10:24:56
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2013 :  11:24:20  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if the esteemed sage still views this scroll, but if so, I have a question.

On p. 39 of Faiths and Avatars, there is a mention of the widely feared pirate fleet of Alkoth and the Bane-worshipping adventuring groups of the Six Black Blades and the Crow Banners.

Where is Alkoth and is there anything worth telling about these pirates?

Did you have any more information in mind about these adventuring bands?

If you threw them in to spur GM creativity, I have no objections to fleshing them out myself, but I don't want to contradict actual lore before I get a chance to decide if I like it.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas

Edited by - Icelander on 01 Jul 2013 11:33:25
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2013 :  06:27:48  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Boyd,

I've been curious if there is any connection between the Talfir city of Talis and the Talis Deck or the term talisman?

Kind Regards,
[KSU] Bond
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  21:34:34  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr Boyd,

in your Savage Tidings: Gazing Into the Abyss article on Dragon Magazine 357 you explain the Legend of Astaroth (the abyssal lord). Is there anything more you could share about Astaroth?
Specifically, was he slain by Gargauth on Toril or in the Abyss? Is there a rough estimate of when that happened?

Many thanks for all you've done for the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2014 :  02:09:59  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm searching for any information on the Azerkyn clan of dwarves that I can find. My search yields hits in this scroll, but I do not know how to narrow down forty pages of results. Does anyone know where I can find this information in this topic?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2014 :  15:17:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Azerkyn were created for "Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark" in the write-up of the dwarven realm of Iltkazar. There is little information on them so let your imagination run wild.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 13 Jul 2014 15:18:08
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  15:34:03  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Azerbloods (as a playable race) are detailed in Dragon #350.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  06:55:31  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who is the Horned Wyrm of Quaervarr slain by Barundar Battlehammer; mentioned in Mintiper's Chapbook: Moonlight's Triumph? Dragon I assume? Did he/she have another name, or is there more to know about it?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  12:19:29  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Who is the Horned Wyrm of Quaervarr slain by Barundar Battlehammer; mentioned in Mintiper's Chapbook: Moonlight's Triumph? Dragon I assume? Did he/she have another name, or is there more to know about it?

Quaervarr is a small village of humans and half-elves on the edge of the Moonwood near Silverymoon. (VGttN, pages 209-210, and Silver Marches, page 79-81).

The "Horned Wyrm of Quaervarr" is otherwise undetailed and I never gave it a name, as far as I can recall. I believe I intended it to be a title given by bards for a green dragon that dwelled in the depths of the Moonwood. The green dragon was probably not truly a wyrm ... probably a mature adult green dragon. Although evil, the Horned Wyrm of Quaervarr probably had some bardic abilities and some sort of detente with the elves of the Moonwood, which the dwarf who killed him simply ignored.

--
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2014 :  16:27:37  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Eric! I wasn't sure if you'd created him or if it was building on a reference I'd missed somewhere. I dig it.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  16:24:45  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Emuin Nightshade is quoted on page 53 of Champions of Ruin. Google yields nothing more. Is there more to know about him (her?) or was he made up for the quote?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  18:20:30  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Emuin Nightshade is quoted on page 53 of Champions of Ruin. Google yields nothing more. Is there more to know about him (her?) or was he made up for the quote?

I didn't write that section, and I suspect it was made up for the quote.

Sorry,

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  19:59:29  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  20:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Noble Houses of Waterdeep web enhancement for "City of Splendors: Waterdeep" notes that Chostal Nandar has a younger brother named Horingar "Elfslayer" Nandar. Did Ed create that character or did you?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2014 :  02:24:29  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knightfall

The Noble Houses of Waterdeep web enhancement for "City of Splendors: Waterdeep" notes that Chostal Nandar has a younger brother named Horingar "Elfslayer" Nandar. Did Ed create that character or did you?

Don't recall, but I suspect it has something to do with the implications of this article:

Dragon #270, p 94

--
Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2014 :  05:21:14  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Knightfall

Don't recall, but I suspect it has something to do with the implications of this article:

Dragon #270, p 94

Thanks for pointing out that article. I'm sure Horingar's name does have something to do with the conflicts with the elves of Ardeep. Very informative.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2014 :  11:10:28  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Mr Boyd,

in your Savage Tidings: Gazing Into the Abyss article on Dragon Magazine 357 you explain the Legend of Astaroth (the abyssal lord). Is there anything more you could share about Astaroth?
Specifically, was he slain by Gargauth on Toril or in the Abyss? Is there a rough estimate of when that happened?

Many thanks for all you've done for the Realms.

There's not that much more on him, unfortunately. I was building off Dragon #91, page 30, and what I wrote in Powers & Pantheons.

I always saw Astaroth as part of an earlier generation of demon lords whose time has long past. I imagined Gargauth slew him in the Abyss. (Gargauth has always been one to venture ot other planes.)

Timing-wise, I imagine it happened before the fall of Pelevaria (see Gargauth's entry in Powers & Pantheons and A Grand History of the Realms), but the "timescale" of gods has never been closely correlated to that experienced by mortals.

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2014 :  11:10:59  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ksu_bond

Mr. Boyd,

I've been curious if there is any connection between the Talfir city of Talis and the Talis Deck or the term talisman?

Kind Regards,
[KSU] Bond

None known, but I like the idea of making one in your campaign.

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2014 :  11:14:30  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That part came from Ed, so I'd suggest asking him on his scroll.

quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

I don't know if the esteemed sage still views this scroll, but if so, I have a question.

On p. 39 of Faiths and Avatars, there is a mention of the widely feared pirate fleet of Alkoth and the Bane-worshipping adventuring groups of the Six Black Blades and the Crow Banners.

Where is Alkoth and is there anything worth telling about these pirates?

Did you have any more information in mind about these adventuring bands?

If you threw them in to spur GM creativity, I have no objections to fleshing them out myself, but I don't want to contradict actual lore before I get a chance to decide if I like it.

--
Go to Top of Page

Knightfall
Learned Scribe

Canada
148 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2014 :  02:29:08  Show Profile  Visit Knightfall's Homepage Send Knightfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, I have followup questions about the Noble Houses of Waterdeep WE.

How firm are the alignments and deities listed for each house in the table? What happens if a young noble from, say, House Agundar decides to shun the ways of Talos. Would he or she be ostracized from the family?

Also, when a house lists Holdings outside of Waterdeep, does that mean that the noble house is considered ennobled in that community? Or does the noble house have to be listed under the Ennobled heading to be considered ennobled in other lands.

For example, the Roaringhorns are listed as having holdings in Amphail* and the County of Valashar. The house is listed as ennobled for not only Waterdeep (948 DR), but also for Cormyr (1016 DR) and Tethyr (1369 DR). Now, I realize that in Tethyr it would be a given that the house is both ennobled and has holdings, but what is the family's status in Cormyr?

Is it as simple as being ennobled with no holdings? Or was it simply a not-enough-space consideration for the PDF?
---
Also, what's your opinion regarding adding in new noble houses to Waterdeep? (I'm in the process of adding roughly 12 new houses for the homebrewed version I'm working on.) What sort of prejudices would a nonhuman family face in becoming ennobled in the city? (FYI... I asked these questions on the thread for Ed, and THO, too.)

*Controlled through its proximity to Waterdeep, I assume.

ROBERT BLEZARD
"I write; therefore, I am!"

Heroes of Deepwater

Edited by - Knightfall on 04 Oct 2014 07:14:06
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2014 :  02:57:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, just curious, when NOT writing realmslore are you in IT? There's something about how you write that's always reminded me of tech writing that I do when coming up with a procedure or policy or just telling people where they can go shove it.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2014 :  11:23:53  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Eric, just curious, when NOT writing realmslore are you in IT? There's something about how you write that's always reminded me of tech writing that I do when coming up with a procedure or policy or just telling people where they can go shove it.

Not sure whether I've been complimented or insulted! :-)

My day job involves managing network and software engineers.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000