Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Ghazneth Crisis PDK check
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  00:53:52  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have recently been crafting an NPC, one that I hope to soon submit to this site for its Fellaren-Krae area. He is a Purple Dragon Knight who left Cormyr following the Ghazneth Crisis.

I was hoping that sages with the appropriate sources could tell me if anything I've written contradicts published sources (particularly the Empires trilogy and the Cormyr Saga - of which SPOILERS are featured below), or seems out of place:

quote:

At the advent of the campaign against the Tuigan horde [Character name] was made commander of a small company of young Purple Dragon Knights and militia – a Purple Dragon Knight Swordlord. His swift rise through the ranks did not prevent him being left behind when the country went to war against Yamun Khahan’s Horde. [Character name] was instead stationed in the Stonelands, a region overcome with daily guerrilla warfare against the monsters, raiders and orcs that plagued it – a war that could or would not be won in one massive sweep. Whilst many Knights came back from the war against the Tuigan injured or wounded beyond repair, [Character name] saw only the men he had let down by not going, and a lost chance for glory.

The Ghazneth Crisis struck so suddenly much of Cormyr had little time to react. Chaos ensued, with the Purple Dragon Knights receiving conflicting orders that spread their ranks thin. The invading goblinoids were relentless and the Cormyrean citizens felt their bite as much as the military. [Character name] was sent to intercept an invasion nearing Arabel, coming through the Stonelands. The order was one of many issued to various Knights that terribly underestimated the opposition, and [Character name] was aware of the slim chance of his company’s success from the start. Yet he led his troops against the goblinoid army all the same.

It proved to be the suicide mission he had feared. There were too many enemies swarming over the rocks, and when a worg tore the throat out of the company’s War Wizard the men panicked, forcing [Character name] to issue a disorderly full retreat. Only three of the eight Knights serving under him survived, with many more militia slaughtered along with them, and [Character name]’s horse killed bringing him back to Arabel. The Knights had all been [Character name]’s friends – some were peers he had trained with as a boy and grown up with. [Character name]’s physical injuries were bad but his mental ones couldn’t be healed. He took ill for much of the rest of the war, giving in to grief and resignation. Eventually he pulled himself out of this state, in time to join the rallying forces in the final push.

However, [Character name] was as badly affected by the deaths of King Azoun and Princess Tanalasta as the rest of the country, and they only deepened his depression. Too many friends and comrades had suffered and died over the course of the war. With the country in disarray, Purple Dragon Knights were called on to help restore hope and order to the country, but [Character name] refused to take part. Leaving the land offered to him, he eventually departed the country, making his way south into Sembia.

Thanks very much.

Note: To leave some mystery, and to conserve space, I've only posted the relevant paragraphs and I've removed his name. You'll just have to wait and see (I know - the excitement must be killing you! )

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)

Edited by - Sarelle on 18 Jun 2004 00:57:34

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  01:40:22  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks great to me, but then again I'm not the lore expert that some of the others are. The only issue I could even think of is his choice of places to go to. It seems to me that there was a rather strong anti-Sembian theme going on in the Cormyr series. While this would not mean he wouldn't choose to go there, it just seems an unusual choice. Perhaps some sort of tie exists to explain this decision. He would have had plenty of time to make the acquaintance of one of the Sembian representatives following the retreat from Arabel. Maybe he spoke to one about Sembia while recuperating.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Phantom_Lord
Seeker

Pakistan
92 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  08:46:20  Show Profile  Visit Phantom_Lord's Homepage Send Phantom_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A agree with Sarta, an ex-purple dragon knight would not head towards Sembia. I get the feeling from you character that even though he has now left his country, his country has not left him. Know what I mean? I guess it would be better if heads towards say, the western heartlands or cross the sea of fallen stars and heads towards the vilhon reach.

But then again, this is your character and you probably have things in mind we possible can't even imagine

Ponka! Kaddu!
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  09:34:19  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't at all think that he shouldn't be in Sembia and I hope that I didn't convey that. Obviously, as your npc, he is there. I just thought I'd point out that this fact is a bit unusual given Cormyrian prejudices and might be worth elaborating on in his background.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  10:37:06  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I agree with you, Sarta. The connection is too thin, and I'd forgotten about Cormyrean-Sembian rivalry. I just didn't want to make it 'his gandmother lived there' etc. etc. because a) its clichéd and b) he has to be alone.

It does need a connection, though. I'll ponder it over and rectify. In the mean time can any other sages help me out?

Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  03:16:36  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the character needs to be in Sembia for the set up to work, one of the easiest reasons is that he's just passing through on the way to elsewhere - probably across the Sea of Fallen Stars. Sembia has many ports, and would be the logical place to catch a ship either south or east.

Given that the character missed out on the Tugian War, perhaps his initial thought was to head towards Thesk to see what he missed out on. Or perhaps friends are buried in/near the final battles of the war and he wants to visit the graves before moving on.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  19:48:02  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh! I like your idea, Halidan - the city I had in mind was a port. So maybe he intended to go south, but ended up staying there. Thanks!

In the mean-time...

Can someone please check this against the mentioned sources, or at least agains their memories of the sources. I don't want this to conflict with anything.

In particular I don't know whether my description of the Crisis as chaos and how the Knights were treated during it, or how long I portrayed it as lasting, were correct.

I don't want to put pressure on anyone, but in particular I was hoping Sirius/Wooly/kuje/Garen/Gerath/Arivia/Sage/THO might answer.

Thanks.

Edited by - Sarelle on 19 Jun 2004 19:50:06
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  19:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

Ooh! I like your idea, Halidan - the city I had in mind was a port. So maybe he intended to go south, but ended up staying there. Thanks!

In the mean-time...

Can someone please check this against the mentioned sources, or at least agains their memories of the sources. I don't want this to conflict with anything.

In particular I don't know whether my description of the Crisis as chaos and how the Knights were treated during it, or how long I portrayed it as lasting, were correct.

I don't want to put pressure on anyone, but in particular I was hoping Sirius/Wooly/kuje/Garen/Gerath/Arivia/Sage/THO might answer.

Thanks.

Wow, the Sage and I really need to get back on top of things...we're becoming forgotten....(My god, my brain is shot-I only notice our names after I write the vaguely snarky comment. Whee. EDIT: Sorry if that came across the wrong way-I wasn't trying to be insulting. And we have been fairly shadowy around here recently.)

Anyway, my last read through the Cormyr trilogy and related 3e pieces indicates that that's about what happened.

Edited by - Arivia on 19 Jun 2004 20:31:05
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  20:42:12  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heavy Spoilers ahead for the Cormyr series.

The invasion of Arabel happened very quickly and it was fairly overwhelming. The only survivors listed were those brought safely through the portal created to Suzail.

It is very fitting that some news of goblin raiders was had and groups of knights were sent out to head them off, only to die or flee from the overwhelming numbers. Those that were not sent out (or retreated back to Arabel) did what they could fighting the goblins in the streets of Arabel in a chaotic retreat. Eventually Arabel was completely given up and the survivors retreated through the portal to Suzail.

My assumption was that this npc would have made his way back to Arabel in time to go through the portal (even if carried in a litter). He would have recuperated in Suzail and may or may not have seen more fighting once he was on his feet.

All of which fits with what you posted.

Sarta

Edited by - Sarta on 19 Jun 2004 20:43:22
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2004 :  11:49:05  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great thanks Arivia and Sarta (congrats on the three stars!).

I really like the port-city idea, but the portal to Suzail is too good to pass up. I think I might combine the two - though I do want him to fight again before the war ends. He can battle over the Sembian border, rather than deep in Cormyrian territory.

Arivia: Actually I did forget you and Sage, and edited your names in a minute or so later... Coincidence or what!

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2004 :  16:55:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

That's great thanks Arivia and Sarta (congrats on the three stars!).

I really like the port-city idea, but the portal to Suzail is too good to pass up. I think I might combine the two - though I do want him to fight again before the war ends. He can battle over the Sembian border, rather than deep in Cormyrian territory.

Arivia: Actually I did forget you and Sage, and edited your names in a minute or so later... Coincidence or what!

Keep in mind there was still quite a bit of fighting after the escape to Suzail-he could have aided Tanalasta in her attempts to slay the ghazneths. That would definitely give him some more experience.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2004 :  18:03:15  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read this over a couple of times, and while I might not have a proper answer for you, I do have a few comments that might help to form a more complete picture of this character.

I think you might be slightly overestimating the character's position as a knight; while knighthood is certainly important in Cormyr, it is the character's rank in the Purple Dragons (in this case, swordcaptain or swordlord) that's going to primarily determine his responsibilities and advancement. If this character was a swordcaptain at the time of the Tuigan invasion, and has not been promoted in the 11 intervening years, then by the time of the ghazneths he would either have been bored, ignored, or completely passed over as a competent commander. The battle against the Tuigan ended in 1360, and the ghazneths were defeated in 1371; to be stationed in the barren Stonelands for over a decade would have profound effects on a man, and the theme of 'letting down one's fellows' isn't going to be it. The Stonelands are the closest thing to a front line Cormyr has in that time of peace, with monsters and Zhentarim regularly trying to use it as an inroad to the kingdom. At the start of the Crusade, perhaps this NPC would have been disappointed in missing the opportunity to stand beside his fellow Purple Dragons, but more than a decade later, he would more likely simply feel as an abandoned soldier watching an empty battlefield would: alone, tired, and wanting a furlough home to be shown some appreciation.

Try also to remember that not nearly all Purple Dragons are knights; this character has 8 knights serving under him, which suggests that he is an incredibly important commander, or that he has a large detachment (with the knights serving as his subordinate commanders), or that his group is an elite unit which has a small number of very capable veterans among them. There are many subtle levels in the Purple Dragon army, and the jump from 'militia' to 'knight' is a far greater one than most imagine. Commoners and tradesmen's sons also join the Purple Dragons as career soldiers, and most of them never attain the honor of knighthood.

As for the treatment of Purple Dragons during and immediately after the war, they were treated as they should have been: with hushed reverence, whispered thanks, or loving memory. These were men who risked all for Cormyr, some of whom returned home to find wives and children slaughtered anyway, and too many of which did not return home at all. There is a fierce loyalty within the Forest Kingdom, and to have men who fought so bravely and so hard, against foes all Cormyr could see with their own eyes (and run from with their own legs) was worthy of nothing less than gratitude.

Regarding the character's arrival in Sembia, perhaps he is simply sick of fighting, and decided (as Halidan suggests) to visit his comrades who fell at the Golden Way before finally retiring his commission. Since the ports of Cormyr are essentially shut to large ships during the winter (ice clogs the waterways), he would have to leave from some point east of the country, and Sembia provides the perfect opportunity. A Sembian merchant taking advantage of his obvious grief might ensnare him just enough to start off whatever plot you have this NPC intended for within Sembia...
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2004 :  20:47:41  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the thoughts Garen.

His rank was something I estimated from your list, not wanting to make him TOO important. But I agree he needs to have been promoted during his Stonelands campaign, to lead those knights. The Stonelands isn't supposed to be the leading factor in his dislillusion - he was previously prepared to spend his youth fighting aimlessly, with the belief that it was for the good of Lathander and Cormyr. Its only after his friend have died that he sees it as being pointless. I'll include that, actually.

His treatment after the was indeed good, but he was pretty much deaf to the praise. He was offered a good deal of land, but turned it down.

He is going to go to Sembia intending to cross the Sea, but the thing that will ensnare him to keep him there will be simply not being a Purple Dragon. He gets stuck into a routine.

Thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

ElrikDarkstorm
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2015 :  06:20:14  Show Profile  Visit ElrikDarkstorm's Homepage Send ElrikDarkstorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that this is an old topic but I have to say that you have come up with a really cool back story that has endless possibilities .

Let Me Die Not In Hunger But In Combat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000