Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ed Greenwood on modern Halruaa
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2024 :  01:23:16  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ed Greenwood upload a new Realmslore video on his Youtube channel. This time, about Halruaa Today. It's kinda interesting, the direction his version of Halruaa took...

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 05 Mar 2024 01:23:57

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2024 :  14:11:54  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting take for sure. Basically, the land of great magics is now the land of somewhat fear of magic. The narrative can make sense. Not sure if it is what people will want.

What I find most interesting is that picture where it shows WHERE Halruaa went in Abeir. I see it says "Shyr" and just below Halruaa is written "VERBEEG" and it is definitely on the north side of the world. Then there's some text that says "ABEIR MAP:@FORGOTTENREALMSART". So is there an "Ed Canon" version of Abeir's map somewhere that people can see?

Doing some googling... it almost looks like they were using this map... as I see Shyr and Verbeegs at roughly the same spots.

https://www.deviantart.com/forgottenrealmsart/art/Abeir-world-map-Forgotten-Realms-880783591

But if he was... the names on that map don't match what he recently announced regarding Abeir. Also that map shows a whole continent with different types of elves listed, and that also doesn't match with Ed's statements that there's "no elves" in Abeir. But maybe there's some map in the works.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 05 Mar 2024 15:02:51
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2024 :  15:11:33  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems Halruaa is not the super magical land anymore, but remember that Ed has been saying that since 5e brought back Halruaa. I remember he gave us an answer about Halruaa in the "So saith Ed" section some years ago that was along those lines.

As for a map, there is no canon map that I know about. So, perhaps it was something new created for this video. Isn't verbeeg a race of giants or something?

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2024 :  15:40:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

It seems Halruaa is not the super magical land anymore, but remember that Ed has been saying that since 5e brought back Halruaa. I remember he gave us an answer about Halruaa in the "So saith Ed" section some years ago that was along those lines.

As for a map, there is no canon map that I know about. So, perhaps it was something new created for this video. Isn't verbeeg a race of giants or something?

Yeah, they're the "giant-kin" race that's basically more lanky and humanish looking. They tend to be weaker, shorter, etc... but still more powerful and smarter than say an ogre and often turn to banditry on a small scale.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2024 :  20:27:03  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sort of giant-kin you can bring home to meet your mother?

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2024 :  14:14:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

The sort of giant-kin you can bring home to meet your mother?

Nah, that'd be an earlier version of a Firbolg or voadkyn. These would be their unruly, stinky, a bit brutish brothers (but better than a hill giant).

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 07 Mar 2024 14:17:00
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000