Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 D&D Turns 50
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
174 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2024 :  20:38:16  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well, more or less. We don't know exactly when copies of D&D 1.0 (the white box) started being shipped, but Gygax always said "late January 1974," and he was talking about early sales in February 1974, whilst the game was still "forthcoming" in December 1973 (and TSR was only officially founded in October 1973, I believe).

But there we have it. D&D and tabletop roleplaying as we know it is now a half-century old.

Also raises the question of when we should be celebrating Forgotten Realms' anniversaries. I believe Ed has always been clear that the setting was in existence by 1967, but there was some pre-67 stuff that was not necessarily in the Realms as we know them but a kind-of proto-Realms that led to the setting as we know it. So 2027 sounds like a good year to celebrate the setting's 60th birthday (and 40th in print!).

Gord
Acolyte

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2024 :  12:07:58  Show Profile Send Gord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy birthday D&D!

I discovered AD&D in 1984. It was my first introduction to the game or any roleplaying game. Even though I had the module Under Illefarn, I had no idea that FR was a new world. I didn't know what Forgetten Realms was or meant. I assumed it was still in Greyhawk and spent some time trying to locate the location of Under Illefarn on my Grayhawk map.

I never read Dragon at the time, and only discovered what FR was in 1989. After moving to a new town, I was in Coles bookstore and saw TSR on the spine with that same Forgotten Realms logo. That was Darkwalker on Moonshae. I found a couple D&D nerds like me at school, and they had all the FR stuff. FR has become my setting of choice ever since.

Edited by - Gord on 15 Feb 2024 12:09:08
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2024 :  23:58:18  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started with 3e, shifted to 3.5e, wasn't impressed with 4e, toyed with Pathfinder ever-so-briefly, ignored 5e for the most part and then learned of 2e. Now, I've comfortably settled on 2e with elements of 1e; I consider 1987 to 1999 to be this setting's Golden Age (it manages to achieve the accomplishment of featuring an abundance of detail without feeling bloated). This lengthy experience has taught me that one can never fully foresee that winding path known as "life" .

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000