Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Master of Twilight Hall/Notable Harpers in 1492?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

orbedal
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2022 :  20:27:18  Show Profile Send orbedal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
a bard in my post-Waterdeep: Dragon Heist campaign (1492DR) has been made a Harper by Mirt in Waterdeep, and the party is currently making their way towards Westgate at his request to investigate some suspicious goings-on.

i'd like to have the party meet the current Master of Twilight Hall when they arrive in Berdusk, as well as any other notable current Harpers in that general Vale/Dragon Coast area - but i can't seem to find any of them!

currently alive/active Harpers as of 1492 i am able to identify are Mirt, Storm, Tam Zawad and his daughter Mira, Remalia Haventree (and other Waterdhavian Harper agents from Waterdeep: Dragon Heist)

i was able to find a Harper who called Berdusk home as of 1486: Leosin Erlanthar, a monk NPC from Hoard of the Dragon Queen, so if nothing else i'm happy to have him be the party's primary Harper contact in the city.

but! i'm still really curious if the current Master of Twilight Hall has been published (or at least defined), and also if there are any other higher-up Harpers floating around in the east besides Storm.

ps: thank you TomCosta for pointing me over here :)

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2022 :  22:55:51  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is what I have for Harpers in Iriaebor after the Second Sundering:

There are two Harpers assigned to Iriaebor. The first is Menst Ybarn. He is a merchant that runs his own caravans out of Iriaebor (usually just locally produced goods that are destined for shops from Berdusk to Elversult. He has been known to have the rare shipment to further destination where he uses deals he worked out with a couple of the costers out of Iriaebor to join their caravans. His office/base in in The Lower City.

The second Harper is Altris Hillastin. She is a tavern maid at The Billowed Sail. The Billowed Sail is a tavern/inn in The Docks section of town. She is a master at getting people to divulge information they normally wouldn't share.

If your group needs assistance in Iriaebor, they can get help at the High Altar of the Moon, also locally known as The Moontower. A Harper can fake an injury and go to the temple for free healing (the Moontower is known to offer minor cures and healing for free or low cost). You would go to the southeastern entrance (it is in an addition attached to the temple) and speak to a priestess there. You will be taken into the addition where if you mention that "priests of Selune bring a song to your heart", you will be taken further in the temple where your bonafides are confirmed before you will be able to meet with the current head of the temple High Moonmaiden Beldanaya Kitzik. She will provide what assistance she can (within reason).

Edit: This is in no way canon. I am writing up something for Iriaebor for DMs Guild and this is what I have so far. The last I have that's canon for Harpers in Iriaebor is Garstul Hathcanter in the 3e timespan.

Oh, but the stuff about the Moontower offering minor cures and healing is canon. That was courtesy of Eric L. Boyd in Faiths and Avatars (2e). Ed mentioned that the High Moonmaiden was a friend of Harpers in Forgotten Realms adventures and I see no reason why that would not have continued on to current times.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 19 May 2022 23:23:15
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2022 :  00:32:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by orbedal

a bard in my post-Waterdeep: Dragon Heist campaign (1492DR) has been made a Harper by Mirt in Waterdeep, and the party is currently making their way towards Westgate at his request to investigate some suspicious goings-on.

i'd like to have the party meet the current Master of Twilight Hall when they arrive in Berdusk, as well as any other notable current Harpers in that general Vale/Dragon Coast area - but i can't seem to find any of them!

currently alive/active Harpers as of 1492 i am able to identify are Mirt, Storm, Tam Zawad and his daughter Mira, Remalia Haventree (and other Waterdhavian Harper agents from Waterdeep: Dragon Heist)

i was able to find a Harper who called Berdusk home as of 1486: Leosin Erlanthar, a monk NPC from Hoard of the Dragon Queen, so if nothing else i'm happy to have him be the party's primary Harper contact in the city.

but! i'm still really curious if the current Master of Twilight Hall has been published (or at least defined), and also if there are any other higher-up Harpers floating around in the east besides Storm.

Given Berdusk is no longer an independent city and has been folded into the realm of Elturgard, it might well be that Twilight Hall as a special location for the Harpers is no longer. Following the Spellplague it's entirely possible that they relocated to reborn Myth Drannnor and returned to their "roots". And given the writings of Erin Evans, it might be assumed that Harper affairs west of the Inner Sea are now being handled from Waterdeep. But anything is possible, as we simply don't know.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2022 :  01:14:47  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what Ed would say on Twitter?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2022 :  14:35:53  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by orbedal

Given Berdusk is no longer an independent city and has been folded into the realm of Elturgard, it might well be that Twilight Hall as a special location for the Harpers is no longer. Following the Spellplague it's entirely possible that they relocated to reborn Myth Drannnor and returned to their "roots". And given the writings of Erin Evans, it might be assumed that Harper affairs west of the Inner Sea are now being handled from Waterdeep. But anything is possible, as we simply don't know.

-- George Krashos

It it entirely possible that Eltugard is no more after Elturel's little journey to everyone's favorite vacation spot. If the country can't even protect it's capitol, why belong to it? However, in 1492, the country would still be humming along.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

orbedal
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2022 :  16:07:42  Show Profile Send orbedal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the input and inspo, all! the bit about the Moontower is definitely interesting and i'll be sure to include a visit.

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I wonder what Ed would say on Twitter?

i may end up making a twitter just to ask the sage for such insight!
Go to Top of Page

Mankyle
Acolyte

Spain
42 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2022 :  10:38:37  Show Profile Send Mankyle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that you can find some information about the current leader of twilight hall in the supplement Darkhold: Secrets of the Zhentarim.
https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/324679

In this supplement Ed Greenwood helped.

I have checked and there it says tbat the current Master of Twilight is an female elven Enchanter called Quillathe Rothenel.

Theoretiy this is a Non-Canon supplement (comes from DMsguild after all) but as Ed Greenwood is in the credits I would consider the info contained therein "quasicanon" unless WOTC publishes something that contradicts it

Edited by - Mankyle on 18 Oct 2022 10:48:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2022 :  01:28:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mankyle

I think that you can find some information about the current leader of twilight hall in the supplement Darkhold: Secrets of the Zhentarim.
https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/324679

In this supplement Ed Greenwood helped.

I have checked and there it says tbat the current Master of Twilight is an female elven Enchanter called Quillathe Rothenel.

Theoretiy this is a Non-Canon supplement (comes from DMsguild after all) but as Ed Greenwood is in the credits I would consider the info contained therein "quasicanon" unless WOTC publishes something that contradicts it

He's in the credits, but I think most of his contribution was the info on the Pereghost.

Some of what's in that supplement is problematic, at best.

There's some gems on DM's Guild, and there's some utter trash, but nothing there is canon unless WotC explicitly says so.

(That said, I will consider the work of some authors, like Krash and Eric Boyd, or stuff where Ed is a primary contributor, as canon for my Realms, even if it's not official canon. I call this "semicanon.")

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Oct 2022 01:34:35
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2022 :  07:35:38  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any reason not to use the old ones? Bluefire objects were created by Ed for a reason :)

So... Belaur & Cylyria
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2022 :  07:37:49  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Any reason not to use the old ones? Bluefire objects were created by Ed for a reason :)

So... Belaur & Cylyria

I should have mentioned they were described in the Master Harpers section of The Code of the Harpers.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2022 :  21:07:16  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have access to it, I recommend you to read "Harpers of Waterdeep" (by Erin Evans), published in Dragon 430 (that you can get cheap in DM's Guild). It details how the Harpers worked in 1486 DR. Or check out the Wiki entry, it's up to date AFAIK.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Harpers

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2022 :  22:31:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

If you have access to it, I recommend you to read "Harpers of Waterdeep" (by Erin Evans), published in Dragon 430 (that you can get cheap in DM's Guild). It details how the Harpers worked in 1486 DR. Or check out the Wiki entry, it's up to date AFAIK.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Harpers

It's on DriveThruRPG, not the DM's Guild (all the same folks, but it'll come up on a search on the former but not the latter).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2022 :  22:36:51  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weird, I remember them being there. Nevertheless, I recommend any fans of the Harpers to read that article.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000