Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Kung FU Hustle and Epic Monks
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2022 :  07:22:38  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoTVze2vzkI

So do you guys think some of the moves from the above could be incorporated for the Epic Monk?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2022 :  11:08:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought this was going to be the earlier scene, with the three guys defending Pig Sty Alley.

Love this movie and the earlier Shaolin Soccer!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2022 :  15:28:49  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Way back in 2e, since monks were not included, I created a monk based on psionics. Pretty much everything but the Buddhist Palm would be possible. I am not familiar with the 5e monks but I would imagine that at least some of that would be reasonable.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2022 :  20:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I were to try to make this in 3.5E D&D I would pickup the Knockback feat from Races of Stone p142 (minor caveat requires player to be of Large size or bigger), then pair it with Dungeon Crasher from Dungeonscape p10 (fighter alternative class feature), add in Wall Walker from p11 for a little more Kung-Fu flavor. Easily done well before Epic.

If you don't like the idea of taking fighter levels you likely get DM to hand wave that. The monk has a 2nd level and 6th level bonus feat to lose also. If you don't feel like playing a Goliath, the Stoneblessed PrC I would allow to qualify as one, or Stonebone Template from page Dragon350p36. An enlarge spell or other similar options exist or again maybe just have DM ignore that requirement or ask for an alternative class monk that loses first level feat and gains, Powerful Build.

Anyway you end up at L6-8, using Power Attack at least at a +1, then every blow you land say with Flurry of Blows (2) allows you to use Knockback, which gives you a free Bullrush which you don't have to move with the enemy. This can be bumped to 2-5 attacks with Flailing Strike instead of Flurry of Blows if you make a Chaos Monk Dragon335p89. If your Strength Check is sufficiently high to force them to collide with a wall or other solid object, they take an ADDITIONAL 8d6+(3xSTR MOD) damage beyond the strike that sent them flying.

What happens to the wall, or other living creature that you Bull Rush the enemy into... up to the DM. I'd say if you are pushing with enough force to cause the enemy to take damage that wall should also take something. I would likely 1/2 the damage to the object being struck. So on average you'd be doing something like 32 damage, 16 damage to the object. That's enough to break through a 1" wooden wall but not a 2" one, and not a 1" stone wall. At the max side 63 damage striking a wall, half that 31, that breaks a 1" stone wall or a 2" wooden wall. Obviously at higher levels with bonuses you can start making holes in everything, similar to the Kung-Fu movies.

I have a Griffon Cohort/Mount build, for a Rogue Player/Rider, who uses this trick. Land in the middle of tons of enemies use Whirling Frenzy to max out attacks, Knockback as many as possible, Rogue uses Arrow Mind spell to make AoOs using bow versus all of them. Rogue has Shadowdancer levels for Hide in Plain Sight so he makes all those attacks into Sneak Attacks. Rinse, repeat.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2022 :  02:25:17  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always wanted to see an Illmatari (am I getting that right?) monk in action.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2022 :  03:36:30  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In this Kung Fu Hustle video, starting at about 6:55, Master Paris takes on the Harp Masters. I would imagine that Master Paris' fight would be a great example of an Eldathyn monk's fighting style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8MbVjzgonA&t=443s&ab_channel=NKStudio

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2022 :  07:13:04  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

In this Kung Fu Hustle video, starting at about 6:55, Master Paris takes on the Harp Masters. I would imagine that Master Paris' fight would be a great example of an Eldathyn monk's fighting style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8MbVjzgonA&t=443s&ab_channel=NKStudio

Agreed and the Harp Masters could be nothing other than high level Bards.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2022 :  01:53:29  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's an epic monk? It's a mid-level monk against a bunch of thugs.

Epic level monk shenanigans are something like Ranma or Fist of the North Star.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2022 :  03:28:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

He didn't say it was an epic-level monk, he asked about using some of those moves for one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2022 :  06:45:06  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

He didn't say it was an epic-level monk, he asked about using some of those moves for one.

Indeed and I'll add that the hand move at the end seemed pretty epic to me...
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2022 :  15:50:45  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Way back in 2e, since monks were not included, I created a monk based on psionics. Pretty much everything but the Buddhist Palm would be possible. I am not familiar with the 5e monks but I would imagine that at least some of that would be reasonable.

In my OA 2e adaptation I went the same way. Monks are martial artists, have psionic powers and have some minor thief skills.

EDIT: typo

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 15 Jun 2022 02:55:40
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2022 :  16:18:17  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:

In my OA 2e adaptation I went the same way. Monks are martial artists, have psionic powers and have some minot thief skills.

I didn't have the OA adventures book so I based my 2e monks on the one presented in Dragon #53. In the article, it made the regular monk abilities psionic based. I went a bit further and gave them the actual, equivalent 2e psionic power (since they were a psionicist subclass) and I let them use them as often as they liked as long as they could pay the PSPs. They also only got 1/2 the number of PSPs that a psionicist of the same level. However, their attacks also depended on the monk having PSPs so if they ran out, they were back to normal hand to hand subdual damage.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2022 :  17:57:45  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Me and a few other people made a 3e Ki System for monks. Worked very much like 3e Psionics with a pool of points to draw from, different abilities that could be learned/unlocked/whatever and augmented by utilizing more points from the pool.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2022 :  18:31:23  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I didn't have the OA adventures book so I based my 2e monks on the one presented in Dragon #53.
(...)

The 1e OA book has a monk somewhat similar to the 1e PHB, plus some changes, specially in martial arts. I've recently known the Dragon #53 version. The martial arts system in 1e OA was revised in the Complete Ninja's Handbook.

My version of the monk is a priest in all aspects, except that it has no clerical powers, but a limited psionic ability that begins at the 2nd level, and some thief skills. I kinda got inspiration in the bard. Besides, I improved their unarmed combat (only) and gave them martial maneuvers as per the Complete Ninja's.

Unlike the Dragon #53 monk, they are allowed to choose the psionic powers they want, as per normal psionics rules (I use the Skills & Powers version). Some of the more supernatural martial maneuvers and 1e monk abilities I converted into new psionic powers.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2022 :  03:00:03  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And speaking of monks and martial arts, have you seen these guy? His videos are cool, although I think they are slightly accelerated:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/CJ8apaLXmPM

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/JrpSOb8dQHY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3zPGre8KVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07CXBsVFgWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BbGsWZXLao

EDIT: discarded a shorter version of one of the videos above

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 15 Jun 2022 03:06:00
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: