Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Double Yolked Dragon Eggs?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2022 :  23:51:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I was eating, and I started thinking about eggs, then double yolked eggs came to mind. So, then I thought.... double yolked dragon eggs? Dragon Twins? Have we ever seen anything like this and what might be some interesting abilities for them?

Just to throw out some obvious ideas

they can sense when the other is in danger

they can telepathically communicate

they can transfer health between each other, but doing so harms the healer

they can perform more powerful magic than most dragons BUT they must work together to do so, casting as a pair.

they can work dream magic, but only when one of them is asleep

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2022 :  02:24:21  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I do not recall any identical twin Dragons being described, it could be possible I would expect.

There is possible fraternal twins as well I would think however not sure if possible in Dragon eggs.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Stones Finder
Acolyte

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2022 :  03:47:18  Show Profile Send Stones Finder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were twin black dragons described in an installment of "Wyrms of the North," who also appeared in the final part of "The Mere of Dead Men" adventure path.

Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it - Advice for the 5e design team
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2022 :  06:03:31  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragons tend to be solitary, competitive, territorial, arrogant creatures. Even the metallics which are described as having friendly and social temperaments. They don't easily tolerate the presence of other dragons, they don't easily form relations with kith or kin except when (temporary, adversarial, reluctant) cooperation is necessary to achieve objectives they simply cannot accomplish alone.

So dragon twins would be interesting. But I think they'd be extremely rare. And as likely to revile their shared birth bond as to embrace it. Other dragons - especially chromatics - might also find the existence of such "deviants" objectionable (or threatening), or they might perhaps seek to manipulate and exploit the "weakness" caused by a special twin bond. And I imagine that such rare creatures could also attract the attentions of mages seeking truly exotic knowledge or components.

Dragons are said (in 2E lore) to have an "anima" instead of a "soul" or a "spirit". Which might or might not be able to "split" into two (or more) individual components.

Sharing a physical, mental, or spiritual bond with another dragon might also interfere with some draconic magics, since these are fundamentally designed to accommodate uniquely self-centered draconic psychology. Though it might also enhance or enable other draconic magics - assuming these rare twins could somehow learn or invent these rare magics.

Draconic deities might include a dualistic Ouroborus entity. Which might represent a special symbolism for draconic twins.

Are there any dragonborn twins in D&D lore?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 15 Jan 2022 06:20:22
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2022 :  13:51:22  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I can't think of any specifically named twins but I can think of two possibilities:
The Dragon sisters that dealt with Entreri and Jarlaxle
Zz'Pzora might've been a conjoined twin since each head had it's own personality and thoughts.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2022 :  00:21:45  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-I can't think of any specifically named twins but I can think of two possibilities:
The Dragon sisters that dealt with Entreri and Jarlaxle
Zz'Pzora might've been a conjoined twin since each head had it's own personality and thoughts.

I was going to say...

If there are any dragons with more than one head, then surely there have been dragons that simply shared a shell...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2022 :  20:37:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Dragons tend to be solitary, competitive, territorial, arrogant creatures. Even the metallics which are described as having friendly and social temperaments. They don't easily tolerate the presence of other dragons, they don't easily form relations with kith or kin except when (temporary, adversarial, reluctant) cooperation is necessary to achieve objectives they simply cannot accomplish alone.

So dragon twins would be interesting. But I think they'd be extremely rare. And as likely to revile their shared birth bond as to embrace it. Other dragons - especially chromatics - might also find the existence of such "deviants" objectionable (or threatening), or they might perhaps seek to manipulate and exploit the "weakness" caused by a special twin bond. And I imagine that such rare creatures could also attract the attentions of mages seeking truly exotic knowledge or components.

Dragons are said (in 2E lore) to have an "anima" instead of a "soul" or a "spirit". Which might or might not be able to "split" into two (or more) individual components.

Sharing a physical, mental, or spiritual bond with another dragon might also interfere with some draconic magics, since these are fundamentally designed to accommodate uniquely self-centered draconic psychology. Though it might also enhance or enable other draconic magics - assuming these rare twins could somehow learn or invent these rare magics.

Draconic deities might include a dualistic Ouroborus entity. Which might represent a special symbolism for draconic twins.

Are there any dragonborn twins in D&D lore?

Very much agree they should be rare as heck. About as rare as double yolked chicken eggs that hatch both hatchlings (which I googled to see if it happens before writing this). I like that idea about people targeting them BECAUSE of thinking of them as potential components. The idea of a split soul is also interesting. I will also say, I was thinking about dragonborn twins as well as I wrote it up.

The mention of a Ourobouros like entity... given the world serpent, tiamat and any other multiheaded dragons.... interesting spin. Perhaps the world serpent was also some form of "twin" or multiheaded draconic or serpent entity. We actually don't know much about its form do we?

Not sure where to take these things, but good additions.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 16 Jan 2022 20:43:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000