Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 FR city poster book?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2021 :  14:52:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Saw this one amazon while I was looking for a mousepad. Thought it was an odd idea, but it is only $13.99. Guessing they're doing the drawings for something else and figured they'd make a buck by producing the posters (which isn't a bad idea if they have the material if they think it will sell).

Teleport yourself to the Forgotten Realms of Dungeons & Dragons with these licensed art posters!
HIGH QUALITY POSTERS: Gorgeous 8x10-inch full-color posters featuring 12 cityscapes from the Forgotten Realms
READY TO HANG: Easy removable sheets come ready to hang in your home, office, or anywhere
PERFECT GIFT FOR THE D&D FAN: Share and show-off your love for Dungeons & Dragons with these unique posters
OFFICIALLY LICENSED: An authentic Dungeons & Dragons product

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Forgotten-Realms-Poster/dp/0762479019/ref=zg_bsnr_16215_31?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BT2Q4HA5SXANCY3NYWM3

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2021 :  15:23:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see the cityscapes show in the book, so I could decide if I wanted it or not.

Prolly going to pass, though. I don't consider 8x10 to be a poster, and I'd rather have some of the past art covers to put up, anyway.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2021 :  18:20:38  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll bet on Waterdeep.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2021 :  04:07:40  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Cool idea if the pics were bigger (fold out maps maybe?) and had like cross-sections or highlighted different areas and neighborhoods, or something.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2021 :  04:49:16  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But what if you've already got your wall covered in Forgotten Realms maps?

... oh wait, that won't be an issue. These "gorgeous full size" posters are each only 8x10, smaller than photo portraits or notebook pages.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2021 :  05:16:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't remember what it came in, but there was a poster (a real one!) of Alissa of the Mists, back in the day. I had that one on my bedroom wall, above my desk, and spent a lot of time just staring at it.

Another freebie that was from Dragon was a Larry Elmore piece of a mounted swordsman, fighting a red dragon that was on a large rock, with a woman warrior crouching under the rock, ready to stab the dragon's belly. That was another awesome bit of art.

I'd love to see something more like that, rather than small little cityscapes.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2021 :  14:01:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

But what if you've already got your wall covered in Forgotten Realms maps?

... oh wait, that won't be an issue. These "gorgeous full size" posters are each only 8x10, smaller than photo portraits or notebook pages.

Yeah, I picture this being nothing more than a 12 page flip book now that I think of the size. Wonder if they're producing the city pictures for use with FR MTG cards (I won't wish its for something like a book on several large cities of the realms). Still, I do want to see it, only because of my own fascination with making cities in 3d and "coloring" them (trend of the last 2 or so years).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2021 :  15:52:41  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any idea of where the cover is supposed to be from? At first I thought Candlekeep until I saw the second tower/city in the background.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2021 :  17:36:20  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neverwinter, circa 1479 DR. Especially, that is a view of the Hall of Justice with Castle Never in the background. That pic is from the official art of the MMO game.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 29 Dec 2021 17:37:41
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2021 :  19:43:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Neverwinter, circa 1479 DR. Especially, that is a view of the Hall of Justice with Castle Never in the background. That pic is from the official art of the MMO game.

Hmmm, I never got into the Neverwinter MMO. How is it doing? Maybe this is the source for where all of its coming from?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2021 :  22:02:00  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has positive reviews as far as I'm aware. The new update has changed the playability so it resembles 5e mechanics (as it originally used mechanics akin to 4e's), and lorewise it has covered every 5e module so far, with a few tweaks. Ed said that most of these developments are canon, although he said that before the official canon statement by WotC this year.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Clark
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2021 :  19:59:08  Show Profile Send Alexander Clark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm, I never got into the Neverwinter MMO. How is it doing?

Relatively well for a niche MMORPG. As stated earlier, it had a huge update recently this year which redid leveling, added a new class (Bard) and generally tried to make it resemble 5e a bit more.
Keep in mind that it's a more modern MMORPG, so it's less "open world" and focuses more on actiony combat (which is the best in the genre, IMO) than 15-20 year old titles.
Also it's Neverwinter, not "Forgotten Realms Online," so there are few locations present in the game except for Neverwinter, some Icewind Dale, a part of Chult and some dungeons.

P.S. They are giving away a month of free subscription right now, so it might be a good time to give it a try (and it's on Steam if you want to play on PC.)

Edited by - Alexander Clark on 30 Dec 2021 20:02:07
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Clark
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2021 :  20:16:58  Show Profile Send Alexander Clark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
P.P.S. It seems like originally it was mostly based on a pretty good Neverwinter Campaign Setting 4e book, but now it's mostly 5e modules.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2021 :  01:36:28  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am going to go ahead and order it. It is about a buck a pic and at 8x10, it will fit perfectly in my scanner in case I want to use one of them in a future DMs Guild product.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2022 :  22:08:03  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the poster book now. There are a couple from Waterdeep, one of Menzoberranzan, the previously mentioned one of Neverwinter, a city being attacked by the Tarrasque, and some place where they ride dinosaurs in the city.

Paperwise, it is on nicely thick stock (typical for a frame).

Edit: Also, it appears to be copywrite WoTC but published by someone else so it cannot be used for DMG stuff without a separate agreement. Oh, well. Such is life.

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 01 Mar 2022 22:10:15
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2022 :  15:04:06  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the pictures seem to be reprints from 5E books. The aforementioned dinosaur-riding city, for example, comes from Tomb of Annihilation.

And 8x10 is not poster-sized. It's smaller than a sheet of paper.
Go to Top of Page

EricMinde
Seeker

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2022 :  15:16:27  Show Profile Send EricMinde a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HighOne

and 8x10 is not poster-sized. It's smaller than a sheet of paper.

I seen that and got discouraged. I wouldn't mind actual posters but a coffee table book of pictures would just get eaten by the puppies.

"When you understand the impossible, it changes to improbable and that means there's a chance!"

~Baroth Quagmire, built an orphanage, grew a castle in his friends home, the home did not survive the birth. Died three times and fought his way out of hell. Only player I've ever seen roll three 1% in a row.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2022 :  16:59:23  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have liked it if they identified what city each picture is supposed to be showing. Otherwise, it is just a book of generic fantasy cityscapes.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2022 :  18:52:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

All the pictures seem to be reprints from 5E books. The aforementioned dinosaur-riding city, for example, comes from Tomb of Annihilation.

It depends on how tall you are. If you were say two feet tall, that 8x10 is a poster!

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2022 :  21:18:28  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

It depends on how tall you are. If you were say two feet tall, that 8x10 is a poster!

Well it is about time they have something for the vastly underserved gnome poster market.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000