Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 All about Elven traders
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2022 :  08:28:00  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

If they have two gods of money, they can't be in the poorhouse .
Dwarves are known for being thrifty and also cornering specific markets.

quote:

Now there is potential: surface elves and the drow engaging in a kind of "commerce cold war". I commend the DM able to orchestrate a believable scenario involving the two that does not escalate into outright martial conflict.

Drow merchants working on/with surface are unlikely to be devout Lolthites. More of Test-dodgers. No love lost, perhaps, but they'd need a reason to waste efforts on something that's not the best available choice either for fun or for profit. So they are likely to inconvenience those who inconvenience them, but otherwise keep the low profile and do their thing.
There can be many a scenario with them, of course. Including inevitable cloak-and-dagger activity when they try to protect their interests without exposing themselves.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2022 :  04:45:11  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm not arguing the shrewd angle, or that it wouldn't be applicable to other mercantile pursuits. I'm just saying it's not the same as being "overwhelmingly talented."

So far as I know, there's nothing at all that indicates dwarves are any more talented at mercantile pursuits than any other group of folks in the Realms. Nothing says they're any less talented, either.

They're like any other group: individual members may be amazing at doing X, or they may draw much vacuum at it, but those are individuals and they don't define the whole.

In the end, I don't expect this POV of mine to be reflected in any official WOTC supplement; I'm happy to run dwarves in a way that aligns with my interpretation...while occasionally arguing the point here .

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000