Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Why didn’t Shade return to Faerun sooner?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2021 :  03:30:46  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Yeah, when I liked her it was when she was "the lady of loss" who was about being the person that grieving people turn to. She was the voice that whispered in the darkness, etc...

-The book Mistress of the Night did a really good job capturing that in certain characters that appeared in the book. Really made a distinction between those kinds of cultists and the organized church of Shar, which drew on their pain and loss.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2021 :  12:58:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:
Originally posted by DeBasilisk

For what it’s worth, Ed Greenwood did designate Shar as one of the only four “Greater Goddesses,” in Dragon Magazine 54, 1981, on par with Chanteau, Mystra and Sune (page 8, “Down to Earth Divinity). It seems fair to say that even if she wasn’t envisioned as the big bad, she was at least one of the bigs from early on. And actually, you could say she was the big bad in one respect, since out of the four greater goddesses she was the only one with an evil alignment (NE).

Except even way back then you also had Bane, Myrkul, and Talos as "big bads" and Lathander, Oghma, Silvanus, Tempus, and Tyr as other greater gods. And none of those seemed too worried that Shar was trying to destroy them and everything else.

Shar was Darkness and Loss and Forgetfulness... none necessarily "big bad" especially when you read her "bio"

SHAR This goddess is said to be darkly beautiful. She is often worshipped by those made bitter by the loss of a loved one; in her dark embrace all forget, and although they forever feel loss, they
become used to such pain until they consider it the usual and natural state of existence. Shar battles continually with
Selune, slaying her often (i.e., every new moon), and is worshipped (or paid lip service by) all surface-dwelling beings who dislike light. Those who make or take disguises worship Leira, but those
who seek only to hide or bury something pay homage to Shar.

There is nothing really big and bad about that. She is actually more like the goddess of an odd form of emotional closure :P

At one point in 2e, when skills and powers came out, I came up with an idea that I threw into the history of Sleyvas. I had always had him as an anti-hero who turned dark because his wife had been killed by a paladin on accident while chasing a criminal in the marketplace. I added in that he had been cheating on his wife at the time, and that he'd gone to the temple of Shar to reveal his "dark secret" to try and relieve himself of this burden of loss. I want to say that I then wrote up a spell for that church, that if they know someone's deep dark secret that they can utter this spell and they become immune to that person's magic temporarily. It's a hidden spell that they use to either force someone to go do some dark act out of fear of the church, or serves as a means to protect the church from someone who might "wants to make sure his secret can never get out" later.

In that way, it gave their priesthood a really neat nuance.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000