Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 5.5 Core Books coming in 2024 for 50th Anniversary
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2021 :  20:19:06  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
And the setting revisit (aka The new Forgotten Realms Campaign Book), is also coming in 2024. The 50th Anniversary of D&D is supposed to be a really big deal so this makes sense.

Thoughts?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2021 :  20:43:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'll bite. Where is it stated that there's a new Forgotten Realms campaign book coming out? Because the new info from the other day didn't say a thing about the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2021 :  21:33:00  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Okay, I'll bite. Where is it stated that there's a new Forgotten Realms campaign book coming out? Because the new info from the other day didn't say a thing about the Realms.

I asked Ray Winninger on Twitter if the 2023 classic setting announced was the revisit setting (which was obviously FR for a variety of reasons) and he said no, it's for 2024. Which actually makes sense because because the Forgotten Realms ALWAYS gets a new Campaign Setting Book of some sort during a major or minor edition change to update lore and mechanics, without fail since it first came out.

I go find his tweet and copy paste it here
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2021 :  21:35:13  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Gyor

@Gyor1

·

Sep 27

"Is the 2023 classic setting the revisited setting you mentioned earlier or was the revisited setting book dropped?"

WinningerR

@WinningerR

·

Sep 27

"It's different. Two classic settings next year and a third in 2023, none of which were covered by previous 5E products. We're looking at "revisiting" a setting in 2024."

Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2021 :  21:44:44  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor
Which actually makes sense because because the Forgotten Realms ALWAYS gets a new Campaign Setting Book of some sort during a major or minor edition change to update lore and mechanics, without fail since it first came out.

There was no 3.5 FRCS. The closest thing we got in 3.5 was Players Guide to Faerun which didn't replace but just gave minor updates. My experience with 5e so far, I don't see them releasing something like that. I reckon the best we will get is some reprinted updated, like the sword/mage updated in tasha's. I will remain sceptical until they flat out say there will be another Realms book, beyond adventures.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2021 :  22:02:35  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lordsknight185

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor
Which actually makes sense because because the Forgotten Realms ALWAYS gets a new Campaign Setting Book of some sort during a major or minor edition change to update lore and mechanics, without fail since it first came out.

There was no 3.5 FRCS. The closest thing we got in 3.5 was Players Guide to Faerun which didn't replace but just gave minor updates. My experience with 5e so far, I don't see them releasing something like that. I reckon the best we will get is some reprinted updated, like the sword/mage updated in tasha's. I will remain sceptical until they flat out say there will be another Realms book, beyond adventures.

I count the Players Guide to Faerun ad the 3.5 setting book as not much changed between 3e and 3.5e in FR, so it didn't need to repeat things,so instead it updated what needed to be updated and expanded otherwise. The SCAG changed a ton, but then provided no details or Faerun map.

And I get your skeptical, it's been a source of major frustration for FR fans that all we've had for most FR regions was a way too sparse SCAG.

I'll also note the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide is no Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book, no a much more serious and bigger campaign setting book will be needed for 5.5e then the Player's Guide to Faerun.

But I understand the skeptism, it's well earned, but it's not something they can put off forever.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2021 :  23:27:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So we again have the vague "revisiting a setting" message. I said it the last time you were on this tear, and I'll say it again: that does not in any way, shape, or form prove that it's a Forgotten Realms book.

Until someone at WotC actually -- and EXPLICITLY -- says that a new FR campaign book is coming out, I'm not going to do this routine of "oh, something was announced, it's gotta be FR-related!"

I get it, you want a proper FR campaign book. We all do. But we've already done this once. I don't see why we're doing it again.

Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2021 :  01:11:07  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's already a thread for this topic in the RPG News & Releases forum.

Personally, though, I think the odds are pretty good that we get a new Forgotten Realms campaign setting the same year as 5.5E (2024). FR is still sort of the default setting of 5E, so it makes sense to update them side-by-side.

That said, I'm not holding my breath. Wizards might just as likely decide that a new edition calls for a new default setting (hello, Greyhawk...?).
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2021 :  01:21:15  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HighOne

There's already a thread for this topic in the RPG News & Releases forum.

Personally, though, I think the odds are pretty good that we get a new Forgotten Realms campaign setting the same year as 5.5E (2024). FR is still sort of the default setting of 5E, so it makes sense to update them side-by-side.

That said, I'm not holding my breath. Wizards might just as likely decide that a new edition calls for a new default setting (hello, Greyhawk...?).

Oops, I didn't know about the other thread as I mostly just stick to general.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2021 :  06:21:04  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wizards might just as likely decide that a new edition calls for a new default setting (hello, Greyhawk...?).

Good.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2021 :  08:49:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Wizards might just as likely decide that a new edition calls for a new default setting (hello, Greyhawk...?).

We can only hope.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2021 :  17:23:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WoTC have lots of cool and interesting ideas, it would be good for them to apply their genius level intellect towards a setting more suited to it. Leave the realms to us grognards and other inferior beings.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2021 :  23:55:30  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While we're at it, can we get a last minute rewrite of the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie where any reference to The Forgotten Realms is replaced with Greyhawk/Oerth?

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2021 :  00:02:15  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love and actual FRCS (as it would at least streamline some things...or I hope it would).

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2021 :  00:12:10  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking back, the last time there was a significant gap between the debut of a new edition of D&D and a Forgotten Realms campaign setting guide/book/box was AD&D 2e: the game system debuted in 1989 and the 2e FRCS was released in 1993. If this latest news is true, that will mean there was a ten year delay from the start of 5e until the release of the 5e FRCS. That is insane.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2021 :  12:04:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

Looking back, the last time there was a significant gap between the debut of a new edition of D&D and a Forgotten Realms campaign setting guide/book/box was AD&D 2e: the game system debuted in 1989 and the 2e FRCS was released in 1993. If this latest news is true, that will mean there was a ten year delay from the start of 5e until the release of the 5e FRCS. That is insane.

Not when you consider how pissed off people were over the 4e one and its changes. That's why they've been slowly developing and seemingly getting feedback.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2021 :  14:02:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Not when you consider how pissed off people were over the 4e one and its changes. That's why they've been slowly developing and seemingly getting feedback.

It's not about feedback at all. They're trying not to box themselves into any corners by not touching anything they don't have to. It's part of why they made a point of issuing that "it's not canon unless we wrote it" thing -- to shut people up who wanted lore continuity, regardless of whether it pertained to existing products or future ones.

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2021 :  21:00:34  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It's not about feedback at all. They're trying not to box themselves into any corners by not touching anything they don't have to. It's part of why they made a point of issuing that "it's not canon unless we wrote it" thing -- to shut people up who wanted lore continuity, regardless of whether it pertained to existing products or future ones.

Sounds to me less the unreliable narrator and more Wizards DGAF.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2021 :  16:35:21  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stopped trusting WotC years ago, especially where the Realms are concerned. But I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of them switching to a new core setting (such as Greyhawk). I know what's put out here at the keep by those who love the setting is better than anything they've done by a LARGE margin, but I don't want to see the Realms die a slow death due to lack of official support either.

I can only hope that if they switch to a new setting that they'll untie Ed's hands...but that won't happen because whatever he puts out will do far better than anything they release.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2021 :  08:55:02  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
do not forget about the one used by critical role. this very well could be the new core setting....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2021 :  04:24:13  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forget Wizards' awful products, you want to celebrate D&D's 50th? Head over to HeroForge and design a custom figure in bronze, looks close enough to gold. Make your all time favorite PC or your favorite character from the Realms, or any setting for that matter. You think it'll look a bit gaudy, it does but it will still put a smile on your face each time you see it. Still not your taste, you can print a colored mini they look great too. Or treat yourself to some Dwarven Forge to place minis in.

Point is D&D has grown well beyond Wizards at this point, you can still support your hobby/addiction without supporting Wizards bad decisions.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2021 :  10:28:46  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

Forget Wizards' awful products, you want to celebrate D&D's 50th? Head over to HeroForge and design a custom figure in bronze, looks close enough to gold. Make your all time favorite PC or your favorite character from the Realms, or any setting for that matter. You think it'll look a bit gaudy, it does but it will still put a smile on your face each time you see it. Still not your taste, you can print a colored mini they look great too. Or treat yourself to some Dwarven Forge to place minis in.

Point is D&D has grown well beyond Wizards at this point, you can still support your hobby/addiction without supporting Wizards bad decisions.

I was momentarily confused because your post started out as an advertisement .

Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2021 :  11:54:15  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope they change the default setting of DND to something else than FR. It's odd that WotC hasn't already done it, because it's clear that no one at Wizards has any passion for the Realms. They use FR simply for it's recognizable brand. At this point I would say Larian Studios (video game developers of BG3) have more passion, competency and knowledge about the Realms than anyone at WotC.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2021 :  13:18:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

I hope they change the default setting of DND to something else than FR. It's odd that WotC hasn't already done it, because it's clear that no one at Wizards has any passion for the Realms. They use FR simply for it's recognizable brand. At this point I would say Larian Studios (video game developers of BG3) have more passion, competency and knowledge about the Realms than anyone at WotC.

You've just answered yourself: "They use FR simply for it's recognizable brand."

The Realms will remain the default setting as long as they think it'll move a few more units. As soon as they decide some other setting will move more units, then that other setting will be the default.

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2021 :  13:52:28  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry about that. I have no association with either company and only have first hand experience with one of those products. Another option for celebrating would be to reach out to old gaming groups and get something on the books well in advance. No purchase necessary there.

I just feel Wizards' poor choices shouldn't sour something that we should be celebrating, it's not often hobbies survive this long.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2021 :  15:02:28  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

At this point I would say Larian Studios (video game developers of BG3) have more passion, competency and knowledge about the Realms than anyone at WotC.

I'm not so sure about that. As someone else said...

quote:
I think this all goes back to just how UN-Forgotten Realms this game is. Elves are humans with pointy ears (and there aren't sun elves/moon elves...merely generic "high elves"), Drow aren't Sunlight Sensitive, Phase Spiders teleport around like they all know a super version of Misty Step, Intellect Devourers don't devour intellect or use body thief or pounce on single individuals but act like standard Mind Flayer thugs, Imps have no resistance and are easy, level 1 noob enemies, Mud Mephits and their allies don't have proper stats or act like they should, the First Druid of the grove is a weak level 5 noob scrub who can't handle a bunch of goblins and needs you to rescue him, even though he's supposed to be a super awesome accomplished healer and everybody acts like he's an incredible fighter who saved a bunch of Tieflings on the road against a pack of Gnolls all by himself, the Hobgoblin warlord isn't a Hobgoblin warlord, the Drow Cleric of the Absolute (Minthara) is a pretty weak piece of nothing who can easily be beaten, Minotaurs don't act like Minotaurs, and Hook Horrors don't act like Hook Horrors or have proper stats, and everyone jumps around like super heroes and shoves people three hundred feet off cliffs.

I'd say that sums up the issue. The whole game needs some serious Forgotten Realms infused into it. Right now, it's a great game, and I love it, but it is so UN-Forgotten Realms. The more I play it and analyze it, the more I can understand why so many feel it is a Divinity - Original Sin 3 as opposed to a Baldur's Gate 3. Story and settings SAY it is Baldur's Gate 3, but mechanics and models say something else.

--- --- ---

quote:

The Realms will remain the default setting as long as they think it'll move a few more units. As soon as they decide some other setting will move more units, then that other setting will be the default.

Don't forget Salvatore and his apparently inexhaustible supply of steam.

quote:

quote:

Sorry about that. I have no association with either company and only have first hand experience with one of those products. Another option for celebrating would be to reach out to old gaming groups and get something on the books well in advance. No purchase necessary there.

I just feel Wizards' poor choices shouldn't sour something that we should be celebrating, it's not often hobbies survive this long.

For what it's worth, I didn't truly believe you were formally associated with them; consider my raspberry emoticon me having a bit of fun with you. Honestly, I agree...between the wealth of gold old school material available, online forums where I've seen Forgotten Realms ideas that rival or even surpass modern official supplements and the "used" tabletop gaming market, there is scarcely any reason for me to patronize Wizards of the Coast.

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2021 :  17:03:10  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could you link me to where that BG3 critique is from?

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2021 :  07:40:46  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BG3 has plenty of issues, ranging from Larian being unable to make a 5e game without Larianizing it to barrelmancy. WotC banking heavily on nostalgia and bringing back or outright retconning characters doesn't help/

At this point I'd suggest that anyone who wants to play a BG2 successor should go ahead and play Wrath of the Righteous.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2021 :  06:17:06  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous are both solid games.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2021 :  17:55:50  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BG III is amazing for the character interactions and the amount of reactivity for the players actions in conversations, quests etc. I'm less sold on the plot-It seems like it's promising world, or even universe-changing events pretty much barely out of the prologue when we are still scrapping with goblins for most of act I. I think I would have preferred something a little less grandiose in scale at least for the early game, and I'm a little concerned that BG III is setting up the next big RSE. Divinity was their playground and I respect their decision to kill off gods and level continents or whatever for their game world-but I really hope nothing on the scale of DOS2 happens in BGIII.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2021 :  00:09:10  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Could you link me to where that BG3 critique is from?

In the near future, please check your Private Messages.

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

BG3 has plenty of issues, ranging from Larian being unable to make a 5e game without Larianizing it to barrelmancy. WotC banking heavily on nostalgia and bringing back or outright retconning characters doesn't help/

At this point I'd suggest that anyone who wants to play a BG2 successor should go ahead and play Wrath of the Righteous.

Replicating the zeitgeist that made the Baldur's Gate series iconic is, well, if not impossible then nearly so, but with writers both skilled and dedicated enough, we could have received a Baldur's Gate 3 truer to the tone of its predecessors. Instead, we appear to be handed something trying to be its own beast while clothed in the Baldur's Game name. Oh well...c'est la vie.

quote:
Originally posted by TKU

BG III is amazing for the character interactions and the amount of reactivity for the players actions in conversations, quests etc. I'm less sold on the plot-It seems like it's promising world, or even universe-changing events pretty much barely out of the prologue when we are still scrapping with goblins for most of act I. I think I would have preferred something a little less grandiose in scale at least for the early game, and I'm a little concerned that BG III is setting up the next big RSE.

I too dislike the explosive opening that's more than a little Michael Bayesque.

quote:
Originally posted by TKU

Divinity was their playground and I respect their decision to kill off gods and level continents or whatever for their game world-but I really hope nothing on the scale of DOS2 happens in BGIII.

When a particular excerpt of an interview involving a BGIII developer came my way, I got a bad feeling about this game's direction.

quote:
Originally posted by developer Swen Vincke

... so, the chance to do that, and to bring what basically is our RPG identity to Baldur's Gate as a franchise was an opportunity too good to resist. And so, what it will do for us... uh, what we think it will do for us is it's going to show a larger segment of people, because I think Baldur's Gate 3 will reach more people than Divinity will have done... it will show a larger segment of the population what our RPGs feel like and hopefully bring them to play our other games also.

There was a general emphasis on "How Baldur's Gate 3 will pimp our name." instead of "How we plan to honor this cherished CRPG franchise."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000