Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How the choice of locations for novels happened?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Captain Grafalcon
Learned Scribe

Brazil
129 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2021 :  20:58:10  Show Profile Send Captain Grafalcon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As we read the different novels, it's clear that some authors focus in specific regions for their stories. I imagine that the process for choosing a scenario to a plot takes many things into account, but I know little about it.
How did the process for choosing a location on the map work? To be more specific: Faerun is huge, yet there was a lot to be explored in the novels. Was there freedom for authors to choose the location of their stories? We're not even considering other continents, although there are some novels about them.

"Surely you recognize that armies carrying banners are almost always thieves—until they win."
Jarlaxle, mercenary leader of Bregan D'aerthe.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2021 :  21:36:34  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The odds are there is no one set way. Some authors have discussed pitching ideas to the company. Clearly in other cases the company selected authors and told what to write about (An outline that likely included locations). Ed has mentioned at times he was requested to write about an area. It clearly possible he pitched some ideas about ones that he wanted to write about.

However as for what got printed, that was a decision made by those in charge of novels. Over the years clearly who they are and how they worked evolved. The current policy appears to only one author writing novels.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Captain Grafalcon
Learned Scribe

Brazil
129 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2021 :  01:24:30  Show Profile Send Captain Grafalcon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! That's not a big issue, but looking at the map there is a large concentration of novels in The Sword Coast (not a bad thing), but a lot that could be explored. My contact with the Realms is exclusively through the novels, at least my perception is that a lot more could have been explored. On the other hand, I imagine that getting involved with underexplored regions brings additional difficulties.

"Surely you recognize that armies carrying banners are almost always thieves—until they win."
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2021 :  07:41:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Authors seem to often like choosing locations "off the edge of the map" - just beyond the regions which have already been described in other works. It lets them create something of their own, contribute something new (novelty which hopefully captivates the readers), and not step on toes or "invade" other territories developed by other people.

The published Realms started off as basically just Cormyr, Sembia, the Dales, Westgate, some big cities like Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate. Areas like the Moonsea, the Anauroch, Icewind Dale, and the Moonshaes became the focus settings for some of the first novels. Places like Tantras and Amn and Thay were exotic and faraway tales from travellers. Things continued to always push out and out and out, towards Evermeet and Zakhara and Maztica and Underdark and Halruaa and beyond.

But by late 3E it seems like authors had filled out all the "interesting" places and things were starting to feel a little crowded. Big stories need lots of room. 4E used a drastic approach to refresh the map.

I imagine different authors have different interpretations and reasons behind their choices. And of course we don't know what sorts of directives or limitations Wizbro might impose on them.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2021 :  14:03:42  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There were at least four reasons for going "off the edge of the map."

1. The company asked you to.

2. An area interested you.

3. There was less information to try to keep track of.

4. You didn't have to account for events in the big story some other writer was telling set in the same time frame.

Of course, there were also reasons to return to a familiar area when that was the choice. A major one was the feeling that readers would like it. I remember suggesting that the characters in War of the Spider Queen come from a dark-elf city that the fiction hadn't visited before. The consensus, however, was that raudience would prefer to see more of Menzoberranzen.
Go to Top of Page

Captain Grafalcon
Learned Scribe

Brazil
129 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2021 :  15:22:21  Show Profile Send Captain Grafalcon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

4. You didn't have to account for events in the big story some other writer was telling set in the same time frame.

Of course, there were also reasons to return to a familiar area when that was the choice. A major one was the feeling that readers would like it. I remember suggesting that the characters in War of the Spider Queen come from a dark-elf city that the fiction hadn't visited before. The consensus, however, was that raudience would prefer to see more of Menzoberranzen.

Thanks for the reply Mr Byers! I imagine the writing of War of the Spider Queen involved a lot of interaction for decision making.
Taking advantage of the space, I'd like to show my appreciation for the Brotherhood of the Griffon series. We have the opportunity to get to know several places little described in other novels. I'm saving Prophet of the Dead for a good occasion.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2021 :  16:17:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What?!? There are cities in the Underdark other than Menzoberranzan?!? Given its coverage, I thought it was the only city in the Underdark!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2021 :  17:13:34  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, that's interesting. Dissolution was easily my favorite of the series, and a part of that was how much I enjoyed how the city was written. I think I would have really enjoyed seeing what you could have written for another Drow city though. Now I'm curious what the original suggestion for the setting was.

Edited by - TKU on 28 Aug 2021 17:17:13
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2021 :  16:41:32  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

As far as WHICH less-familiar drow city we would have used if we hadn't gone with Menzoberranzan, I don't think the discussion ever got that far. I don't recall having a specific one in mind. I just figured we'd pick one that looked cool based on the scanty info provided in the relevant sourcebook or maybe make up a new one.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2021 :  17:39:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

As far as WHICH less-familiar drow city we would have used if we hadn't gone with Menzoberranzan, I don't think the discussion ever got that far. I don't recall having a specific one in mind. I just figured we'd pick one that looked cool based on the scanty info provided in the relevant sourcebook or maybe make up a new one.

I would have loved to have seen a different drow city... Sshamath and Eryndlyn are particularly interesting to me, and I would have loved to have seen one of them covered more.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000