Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Wildhome and Rucien-xan in the Chondalwood
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Silvananthus
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2021 :  07:59:38  Show Profile Send Silvananthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In the novel "The Edge of Chaos" by Jak Koke the main character is raised by wild elves that hail from a city in the Chondalwood called Wildhome. I have scoured other sources and cannot find mention of Wildhome anywhere else besides the writings of Jak Koke. Indeed, I cannot find mention of any other elven city in the Chondalwood except the hidden city of Rucien-xan.

Does anyone know if Wildhome is simply another name for Rucien-xan or is Wildhome supposed to be a separate settlement by the wild elves of the Chondalwood exclusive to the 4E time period?

Any insight from the sages here would be appreciated. I am of the opinion that it would be very easy to justify Wildhome just being another name for Rucien-xan, but I have found difficulty determining what the truth is most likely to be. I have tried to search the board for the answer, but have had little luck. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Hail and Well met!

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2021 :  15:54:02  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wildhome is mentioned in the 4e FRCG, but it's just a small description. I'm going to check my books when I'm home.

EDIT:

Besides from mentioning that it's the home of the few wood elves who still inhabited the Chondalwood in the 4e era, there is no other mention of Wildhome in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. The Forgotten Realms Player's Guide adds a bit more to this small description, saying that is a small kingdom of xenophobic wood elves. But there is no more info. Notice that in 4e, wild elves were a sub-race of wood elves, so there is no conflict with what is said in the novel.

While not canon, the LFR adventure "AKAN1-7 Faint Hope" is about the characters traveling to Wildhome.

If there is a relation with Rucien-xan, isn't mentioned in the 4e materials. My take is that Rucien-xan translated to common is "Wildhome",

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 13 Jul 2021 18:08:14
Go to Top of Page

Silvananthus
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2021 :  01:55:51  Show Profile Send Silvananthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your prompt response, I don't have many 4E resources, it is the one edition that I didn't play. I, too, think that the cities are one in the same, because they appear to be mutually exclusive and occur in the same region with the same demographics separated only by time. I appreciate your take on this and your research into resources that I don't have easily available to me.

Hail and Well met!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2021 :  14:29:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On this topic in general of the wild elves in the Chondalwood, I wonder if a place like wildhome might not be a "gathering place" of sorts for trade by the various "wild races" in the chondalwood. By that I mean, I could see there being a place where wild elves, ghostwise halflings worshipping Sheela Peryroyl, hybsil, sprites, dark elven followers of Eilistraee, killoren, etc... might meet.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 14 Jul 2021 14:31:58
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2021 :  15:03:54  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are interested in this area, make sure to read Dragon #267, page 81, for the write-up of Iyrandrar (Lyrandrar is probably a typo), a little-known realm of well-armed xenophobic gold elves.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Iyrandrar

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 14 Jul 2021 15:19:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page