Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Arabel description typo...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2021 :  17:40:17  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
While reading the various old descriptions of Arabel, I came upon a little typo in Volo's Guide to Cormyr.

It substitutes House Misrim for House Marliir.

Misrim is a merchant house that has several warehouses in the city and interests also in Marsember (coal & horses at least).

Marliir is the preeminent nobel family of Arabel (though not of particularly high standing in Suzail).

If you have the Arabel map, it is building 3 which is correctly named in the Cormyr supplement.

I don't know if anyone has ever noticed this before, but I thought I'd point it out for those few who care.

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2021 :  01:56:20  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one cares :P
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2021 :  02:05:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cared, I just didn't;t want to clutter the boards with a "good pick up" post. Which I have now done!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2021 :  04:40:31  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Often a scribe is little rewarded for finding information that literally shapes the who and why of the world.

It is cool that you found this for sure...makes me wonder how many times I've read a product and not realized information was wrong like this...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2021 :  10:59:28  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks - its good to know there are others that find such tidbits interesting. That knowledge is more than adequate reward :)
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2021 :  07:44:00  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Side note, Nalara Marliir was the mother of King Foril of Cormyr - so the Marliir family became more important in 4th edition.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2021 :  15:47:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There are things you could do with information like that in a campaign.

Cormyr I think is one of the best settings (post Azoun's death) for intrigue campaigns.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2021 :  19:20:30  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am continually amused by people being completely unaware of the 18-page article I wrote (and repeatedly talked about here on the 'keep) in Dungeon #198. I still think folks should pick it up.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2021 :  20:55:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and then we find out Misrim is a changed version of Mizzrym, and they're all related to dark elves!

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2021 :  09:48:29  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

I am continually amused by people being completely unaware of the 18-page article I wrote (and repeatedly talked about here on the 'keep) in Dungeon #198. I still think folks should pick it up.

Never new you were you Damned screen names.

Also, normally I try to avoid Cormyr / Shadowdale / Waterdeep, because they are the most commonly mentioned in publications so you always have to revamp to keep in line with everything.

Currently, I am making a elder member of the Marliir family out of the once mentioned Zentarim mage Pontifel. Dauneth's uncle who returns to his family home in Arabel from exile after Dauneth takes the family to Suzail :) Then just a mage, now an archmage, member of council of mages (and secretly still a Zhent)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2021 :  16:54:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd forgotten that one, myself, though I do have a copy on my NAS. Think I'll re-read that one whilst on the road tomorrow (obviously while the wife is driving!)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2021 :  19:46:05  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did anyone ever notice there was an article that touches on Cormyr in Dungeon #198?

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2021 :  23:04:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, it was during the 4e era.... you should have waited for when people that liked the prior history were reading about the realms again just picking

BTW, I like the year name for 1442.... Year of Darkenbeasts Rising/Risen. I can already see poor people's cats and dogs getting changed in the royal courtroom. I'm sure it gave some lady's maids the vapors.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 09 Jun 2021 23:08:05
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000