Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tenday vs Ride
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AlexMcClay2000
Acolyte

Australia
13 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2021 :  01:14:21  Show Profile Send AlexMcClay2000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So like I know that ride basically means a tenday, but when should I used it over tenday in a conversation? Does it have a specific context where it is used over tenday? For now I'm just using tenday all the time.

Alex McClay

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2021 :  01:29:05  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AFAIK, it depends with whom you're talking to. Tenday is the "technical word" used by sages and scholars. Ride is more commonly used in Cormyr and the Dales (by the common folk, I guess).

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Divinity
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2021 :  18:28:09  Show Profile  Visit Divinity's Homepage Send Divinity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine players use it in different ways, but I generally use "tenday" in reference to the 3 tendays and "ride" as a length of time to mean ten days. In english we use "week" in both ways. For example, my character would typically say "I'll have that finished by the end of the tenday" or "That'll take about a ride to finish". Where "end of the tenday" is like "end of the week" and refers to the last day. Ride meaning 10 days from now, regardless of the day. That's how I tend to use it.

- Craig Vincent
My Faerūn Continent Map
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2021 :  23:47:31  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

As Zeromaru X (and the Old Grey Box) noted, "ride/s" is the standard term used in Cormyr and the Dalelands. So no 'specific context', just a regional variation. Whether you want to use that in your game, or just stick with "tenday" (call it the 'Common convenience') is up to you.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000