Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Feedback on Skin Tones
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2021 :  18:01:42  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm looking to get some feedback on the skin tones of various Faerunian ethnicities. The artwork often doesn't seem to fit descriptions, so I based it on source text, mostly Races of Faerun. I was shooting for the AVERAGE skin tone. Am I close?

Link to png for major humans. I'll likely do Kara-tur and maybe Maztica as well. Then work on other races and their sub-races.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Edited by - Gelcur on 03 Apr 2021 18:02:58

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2021 :  01:37:40  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa! Neverwinter Nights! That is a blast from my past.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2021 :  04:28:52  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ding, ding, you are correct. Such a great game, especially the online community and the modding. The online RP servers really were amazing. Sad they dropped the ball on the sequel.

Any opinions on if I got the skin tones right for each ethnicity?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2021 :  06:47:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the tones look like good representations. The Chultan vs Illuskan extremes aren't quite as extreme as I would imagine from the 2E-era artwork which first described them. (But then again, the publishers just couldn't or wouldn't figure out how to reproduce "realistic" skin colours for drow, orcs, or aquatics during that era - even dusky skin tones were somehow "too hard" for them. We got a lot of ruddy European sorts and a lot of exaggerations for the other sorts.)

Wouldn't each ethnicity contain a small range of possible tones? If you're striving for "realism" then perhaps the larger populations should be represented by a larger variety of tone selections? It seems like groups which spread across different climates, different latitudes, different continents would likely diverge into subtypes.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2021 :  13:17:52  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

Ding, ding, you are correct. Such a great game, especially the online community and the modding. The online RP servers really were amazing. Sad they dropped the ball on the sequel.

Any opinions on if I got the skin tones right for each ethnicity?

Tethyr looks spot on.

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

(But then again, the publishers just couldn't or wouldn't figure out how to reproduce "realistic" skin colours for drow)

I know that you placed a certain word in quotation marks, but, just to be safe...

If the Drow possessed melanin that was truly realistic, they would feature incredibly pale/light skin thanks to their subterranean environment; their pitch black/coal black* skin is in fact the result of a curse...magic.

* Which makes about as much sense as brown, dark blue, purple, grey or whatever color they happen to be during the current edition of D&D.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2021 :  15:13:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mulan and Damaran should be swapped. Mulan is supposed to be very pale in most descriptions. I would almost say swap it with Illuskan, but that kind of doesn't make sense given that they live in a very warm environment, and thus get more sun.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2021 :  17:32:13  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1E/2E Realmslore used the adjective "sallow" to describe Mulan complexion. I've seen it replaced with "olive" in later Realmslore.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2021 :  18:30:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

1E/2E Realmslore used the adjective "sallow" to describe Mulan complexion. I've seen it replaced with "olive" in later Realmslore.

true, which tend to be more yellow skinned. I've also seen pale-skinned in reference to them. That being said, I must admit that art may be influencing my thoughts here, and the original posters reference that art doesn't necessarily match the texts is a good point.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2021 :  22:27:14  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For curiosity's sake: what about the Amnians/Amnish?

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2021 :  23:58:33  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Chultan vs Illuskan extremes aren't quite as extreme as I would imagine from the 2E-era artwork which first described them. (But then again, the publishers just couldn't or wouldn't figure out how to reproduce "realistic" skin colours for drow, orcs, or aquatics during that era - even dusky skin tones were somehow "too hard" for them. We got a lot of ruddy European sorts and a lot of exaggerations for the other sorts.)

Wouldn't each ethnicity contain a small range of possible tones?

I picked the darkest "realistic" skin tone that was not pure black or pure white for Chultan and Illuskan. So my goal was to set down the most common skin tone you would find for that ethnicity. In general yes there would be a range of tones. I figure for simplicity, you can either go one step up or one step down on the scale depending on conditions, constantly indoors vs constantly outdoors in unshaded terrain.

quote:
Originally posted by Azar

Tethyr looks spot on.

If the Drow possessed melanin that was truly realistic, they would feature incredibly pale/light skin thanks to their subterranean environment; their pitch black/coal black* skin is in fact the result of a curse...magic.

* Which makes about as much sense as brown, dark blue, purple, grey or whatever color they happen to be during the current edition of D&D.

Awesome Tethyrian and Calishite were my starting point and then built out the rest from there. You bring up an interesting point on Drow I will likely have to mull over when I get to elves, could be as simple as including multiple tones for them too.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

true, which tend to be more yellow skinned. I've also seen pale-skinned in reference to them. That being said, I must admit that art may be influencing my thoughts here, and the original posters reference that art doesn't necessarily match the texts is a good point.

I had the most trouble locking in on Mulan. I also caught the change in the text from sallow to olive. I understand that the Red Wizards of Thay are Mulan and are depicted pale. But in general most Mulan aren't pure blooded according to the text, they often have Rashemi, Turami, and Chondathans blood. Combine that with their climate they should have some color to them. Again I was shooting for the most common skin color. I imagine you could move 1 step in either direction.

quote:
Originally posted by Azar

For curiosity's sake: what about the Amnians/Amnish?

Since Amnians are not a unique ethnicity I refer to Races of Faerun, their population is composed of 65% Tethyrian, 30% Calishite.

Great feedback everyone. I'm glad I'm not like WAY off base. I did take time to do a good amount of research. I wish I had a post from Ed or a novel references where he is describing certain characters of such and such ethnicity. But I lack encyclopedic knowledge of all work Ed.

Go to Top of Page

Wendolyn
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2021 :  22:44:41  Show Profile Send Wendolyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This might be a useful resource for you:

https://adventurersleague.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/1765690-forgotten_realms_style_guide.pdf

Under the aptly titled section Don't Whitewash the Realms,
the skin colors for the various human ethnicities are briefly described. Mulan are described as having yellow skin, like people who are jaundiced. People from Amn and Tethyr look like Spaniards, etc. etc.
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2021 :  04:12:39  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Interesting document, do you know what it was created for and/or who created it? The host site seems mostly in Russian, I think.

Most of it looks good, though I see a few minor issues, though that might be my lack of 5e knowledge. Then there's the real world references that I try to avoid whenever possible since those seem to be Ed's wishes.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2021 :  04:26:14  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks. Interesting document, do you know what it was created for and/or who created it? The host site seems mostly in Russian, I think.

Couldn't tell you who actually wrote the document.

But the site is owned and operated by WotC. So (I think) the document is an "official" publication.

https://dnd.wizards.com/ddal_general

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wendolyn
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2021 :  01:12:58  Show Profile Send Wendolyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Most of it looks good, though I see a few minor issues, though that might be my lack of 5e knowledge. Then there's the real world references that I try to avoid whenever possible since those seem to be Ed's wishes.

Yeah the website I got from just by Googling, but I originally encountered the document somewhere official. On the DMsguild or Wizard's website, I can't remember. I think it is official.

I fully hear you on not wanting to use real-world analogues in your work. I would avoid doing so also. The audience for this guide is for you -- the designer -- to kind of have some mental picture to go on, not to actually copy that language in your work.

Another resource that might be helpful is this blog:

https://writingwithcolor.tumblr.com/post/95955707903/skin-writing-with-color-has-received-several

Just be careful if using food metaphors to describe people with darker skin tones. This is a tired and potentially problematic trope that has been done in the Realms before, with peoples skin being described as "cinnamon-colored," etc.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2021 :  11:59:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wendolyn

Just be careful if using food metaphors to describe people with darker skin tones. This is a tired and potentially problematic trope that has been done in the Realms before, with peoples skin being described as "cinnamon-colored," etc.

Good advice. But does it extend to descriptions of killable dehumanized monstrous humanoids?

A vampire's complexion, paler than salted rice.
A goblin with skin colour (and texture) resembling rotten porridge.
An orc with mustard-yellow eyes and a youthful olive-drab flush.
A ghoul with skin colour best described as "burnt hombre".
A lizardman with asparagus green markings and gang-green undertones.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wendolyn
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2021 :  15:28:41  Show Profile Send Wendolyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wendolyn

Good advice. But does it extend to descriptions of killable dehumanized monstrous humanoids?

A vampire's complexion, paler than salted rice.
A goblin with skin colour (and texture) resembling rotten porridge.
An orc with mustard-yellow eyes and a youthful olive-drab flush.
A ghoul with skin colour best described as "burnt hombre".
A lizardman with asparagus green markings and gang-green undertones.

Truth be told, I have no idea about the dehumanized monstrous humanoids. I think there has been movement to treat them less as inherently and essentially evil, orcs and drow I mean, but I'm don't know if that connects to language choice about their skin color. For the human ethnicities of the Realms, especially those that are easily coded to real-world analogues like Chultans, etc., this guidance seems the most directly applicable.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2021 :  16:04:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get why vampires are generally really really pale, but I'm not a fan of it. Paler skin than the norm, yes. So pale that it really stands out? No... Predators should not stand out for something like that. Predators that need to get close to their victims should not have visible features that immediately warn the victim that something is not right.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000