Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 FR novel characters and regions you miss the most
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

eayottes
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2021 :  18:40:28  Show Profile Send eayottes a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Given the halt in new Forgotten Realms novels publication, what are the characters you miss the most and would like to read new adventures of? Similar question, but regarding regions you’d like to see further explored. I’m curious to read your answers :)

Edited by - eayottes on 20 Feb 2021 18:42:29

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2021 :  19:53:52  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not as well-read in the novel side of things compared to many others here, but I would have liked to read more of Elaine Cunningham's characters. As for regions and locations I really wouldn't mind seeing Southern Faerun fleshed out more-so much untapped potential! In the Underdark I'd have liked to see more of Ched Nassad more before its destruction, I thought it had a really neat design and I would have liked to see it explored more in-depth.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2021 :  23:56:01  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While vast, the Realms novel line could have been so much more. Imagine how great it would have been to see novels/series set in Zakhara, Kara-Tur, etc.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2021 :  03:54:21  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Danilo Thann and Arilyn.......Matteo and Tzigone.... Elaith Craulnober....Lireal and Fyodor

All of our Elaine Cunnningham favorite characters are sorely missed.........

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

lsls
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2021 :  05:09:13  Show Profile Send lsls a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fox-at-Twilight,my favorite female character.

Edited by - lsls on 21 Feb 2021 05:10:51
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2021 :  05:20:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I miss the characters that Elaine Cunningham and the duo of Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb wrote about... But I also wish that as the novel line was declining, that WotC would have done something other than the "hey, let's go back to the same well over and over again" thing they had going on.

I understand that some people really loved Farideh and Vasen and all them -- but as I've pointed out many times, at one point, every single novel character was someone we were just meeting for the first time. Lord Ginsu may have spawned 173 books and spin-offs, but he was originally a sidekick in The Crystal Shard. We first met Erevis Cale as a butler. Elminster was a supporting character in a story about a teenaged girl leaving home for the first time. And so on.

That's what I miss the most: WotC being willing to introduce something new and then let it develop.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Feb 2021 05:21:55
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2021 :  16:36:28  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Not having a "real" end to the web of characters introduced in the Songs & Swords books. Arilyn, Danillo, Elaith, and Bronwyn. Berun from Sentinielspire. Galaeron Nihmedu from the Return of the Archwizards. Marrec and Gungarri from Lady of Poison.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 21 Feb 2021 16:38:30
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2021 :  18:32:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine's characters in Arilyn, Danilo, Elaith... I'd also include the Brotherhood of the griffin series getting finished as it appeared they had another book that apparently was never released.

As for what to explore, I'd love to actually see historical novels, even if we know the ultimate outcome. It would be a great way to flesh out realms history better. It wouldn't even need to be a powerful "world changing story".... what they did with star of cursrah is a good example of them showing early history that was interesting (you don't need the flashbacks, etc... just fleshing out an era that had little info makes it interesting... for instance knowing that Calimshan once had scorpionmen, rhinaurs, etc... ).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2021 :  21:50:11  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adding to the chorus - Danilo and Arilyn, and the cast of supporting characters, and in particular Khelben, as depicted by Elaine Cunningham. I also would have liked to see more of The Simbul (Lynn Abbey's portrayal), and Pinch and his gang.
Go to Top of Page

gylippus
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2021 :  22:46:56  Show Profile Send gylippus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

Adding to the chorus - Danilo and Arilyn, and the cast of supporting characters, and in particular Khelben, as depicted by Elaine Cunningham. I also would have liked to see more of The Simbul (Lynn Abbey's portrayal), and Pinch and his gang.

Nice, you mentioned Pinch and his gang. I might be the only other person on this forum that liked that book, and I definitely would read another book with him as king. I also enjoyed War in Tethyr quite a bit. I would like to see what happened to Chenowyn and Zaranda. I mean, Chenowyn is a gem dragon and as she got older would be nice to see a little romance with some new character.

For some reason I wanted to see what happened to Cordell from the Maztica trilogy, he was starting to grow on me.

But what do we need more of? We need more Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb, period. Giogioni and Cat, a full book, some more Alias with her new boyfriend Mintassen, and even some sequels with the Wyvernspur kids beyond their cameos in the other books. God I would love that.

Of course I agree with everyone else about Danilo and Arilyn, some of the best characters around.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2021 :  00:39:41  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think we ever got a good look at High Imaskar, and that breaks my heart.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2021 :  04:40:47  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I understand that some people really loved Farideh and Vasen and all them -- but as I've pointed out many times, at one point, every single novel character was someone we were just meeting for the first time. Lord Ginsu may have spawned 173 books and spin-offs, but he was originally a sidekick in The Crystal Shard. We first met Erevis Cale as a butler. Elminster was a supporting character in a story about a teenaged girl leaving home for the first time. And so on.

You say this as if Farideh had... how many novels has Elminster or Drizzt?

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2021 :  05:23:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

quote:

You say this as if Farideh had... how many novels has Elminster or Drizzt?

I'm not saying she had the same number of novels -- I'm pointing out that in the waning days of the novel line, they weren't introducing new characters, they were sticking with existing ones.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2021 :  15:33:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

I don't think we ever got a good look at High Imaskar, and that breaks my heart.

Hey just curious, I may have missed something in 4e because I wasn't following it so closely, but I was always surprised to find that there were suddenly essentially two magocracies sitting right next to one another, yet they never seemed to interact from what I can tell. Did they ever do anything that really showed involvement between Thay and High Imaskar (either as allies, enemies, or simply competitors)?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2021 :  17:48:08  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far as I'm aware, High Imaskar was more worried about Netheril than about Thay. This is hinted in the 4e FRCG/FRPG. I'm going to check, but I don't remember any mention about High Imaskar and Thay's relations.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2021 :  18:06:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

So far as I'm aware, High Imaskar was more worried about Netheril than about Thay. This is hinted in the 4e FRCG/FRPG. I'm going to check, but I don't remember any mention about High Imaskar and Thay's relations.

Yeah, that to me seems forced as well. I mean, I do get that teleportation and portals makes the world small, but Netheril was predominantly worried about other areas (i.e. Anauroch, Sembia, and the North). High Imaskar for the most part seemed to be just trying to keep itself together, so it should have been more focused on immediate neighbors.... and when one of those neighbors has a ton of undead on your borders, you shouldn't forget that they are there. That being said, I know that they attempted to bring up things like High Imaskar and the genasi nation of Akanul working together, fighting with Tymanther, etc... Anyway, not a big deal to me now since they've annihilated High Imaskar and seemingly returned a lot of Mulhorand. I would be interested to see what they do with the remnants of its population (and preferably not do "and they all collectively moved back to the raurin, because there is no other place on Toril that they might want to go and they would all agree that living in a desert is best"). To me having small groups of a few hundred High Imaskari spreading all around the old empires, bloodstone lands, shining south, Utter East, hordelands, and even Zakhara and Kara-tur border areas would make a lot of sense.

Hell, that gives me an idea that it might be interesting if they found the old arcane facility in the wu pi te shao mountains called the dock. Perhaps the Arcane that were there died in the magical havoc of the spellplague or the fallout afterward. Having High Imaskar showing up at the dock to find some spelljamming ships whose helms are hampered (i.e. slowed, don't work as well, etc..) since the spellplague seems like a doable idea. They could easily transform some Utter East nation, since they never really got any proper treatment in the first place. Maybe use their redwing insects to travel from the nation to the dock in the mountains and ruling from "on high" in a kind of hands off way. Maybe they found the docks in the hands of some creatures like the neogi who took over when they saw the Arcane have their eyes "light up and they just died" or something and they've been running it as a slaver city. So, the High Imaskari showing up and killing them makes the country that was having people kidnapped from might be more than happy to have new people in the dock.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 22 Feb 2021 18:20:49
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2021 :  10:46:02  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think almost all of 4e Thay’s aggression was focused on Aglarond, with their efforts elsewhere being much more covert.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2021 :  14:21:23  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

High Imaskar for the most part seemed to be just trying to keep itself together, so it should have been more focused on immediate neighbors.... and when one of those neighbors has a ton of undead on your borders, you shouldn't forget that they are there.

Well, the immediate neighbors north of High Imaskar were dragons, not undead: Thay should have to deal first with Murghôm before advancing against High Imaskar. So, really, the Imaskari were content just to watching dragons fortify their defenses from afar (and they were spying on the dragon princes, per the FRCG). If the undead beat the dragons, then they should have to worry, but not before.

And IIRC, the Murghômians (sp?) were very afraid of a Thayan invasion (the humans, at least). However, as keftiu points out, Thay was more interested in Aglarond.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 23 Feb 2021 14:26:39
Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2021 :  21:22:21  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not novel characters, but I actually miss the cast of the AD&D and Forgotten Realms comics by DC. Always hoped they'd show up in the novels.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2021 :  01:13:22  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adding my voice to Arilyn, Danilo, and all of Elaine's characters. Also, despite my dislike of 4e, there were some good novels written in that time that felt unfinished, such as the Unbroken Chain novels, Shadowbane, and the Chosen of Nendawen. Also would have loved to have gotten that Vasen Cale trilogy.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2021 :  05:13:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BountyHunter

Not novel characters, but I actually miss the cast of the AD&D and Forgotten Realms comics by DC. Always hoped they'd show up in the novels.

One was, in passing, in a novel, and there were a couple short stories featuring a couple supporting characters from one of the early arcs... I remain a huge fan of the comics, myself, and agree that it would have been great to see more of those characters.

Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2021 :  21:53:34  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BountyHunter

One was, in passing, in a novel, and there were a couple short stories featuring a couple supporting characters from one of the early arcs... I remain a huge fan of the comics, myself, and agree that it would have been great to see more of those characters.

I've got a line on a complete series of AD&D. Hopefully I can get my hands on them.
Go to Top of Page

eayottes
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2021 :  15:48:45  Show Profile Send eayottes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine C. is probably the only FR author I didn’t explore. You guys are sparking my interest. Where should I start?

The characters I miss the most are probably Aoth Fezim and Erevis Cale. Crazy to think there are YouTube channels on FR lore with 50k+ views but no new novels (except Salvatore).

Edited by - eayottes on 12 Mar 2021 15:49:54
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2021 :  19:27:08  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eayottes

Elaine C. is probably the only FR author I didn’t explore. You guys are sparking my interest. Where should I start?

The characters I miss the most are probably Aoth Fezim and Erevis Cale. Crazy to think there are YouTube channels on FR lore with 50k+ views but no new novels (except Salvatore).

I miss Erevis Cale and Vasen Cale, too (and Magadon).

Elaine C. is a gem, imho. There is the Song & Swords series, Evermeet: Island of Elves (which has ties to S&S), and the Starlight and Shadows trilogy. She also has a series set in Halruua, I believe, but I haven't read those.

Go to Top of Page

Kylia Quilor
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2021 :  19:51:07  Show Profile Send Kylia Quilor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Starlight and Shadows is possibly my favorite single trilogy in all of the FR books I've read. It was different from almost anything else I'd read before then, when I picked the books up, and still holds up on many re-reads over the years.

Halisstra Melarn Deserved Better
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2021 :  22:34:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

quote:

I miss Erevis Cale and Vasen Cale, too (and Magadon).

Elaine C. is a gem, imho. There is the Song & Swords series, Evermeet: Island of Elves (which has ties to S&S), and the Starlight and Shadows trilogy. She also has a series set in Halruua, I believe, but I haven't read those.

Counselors & Kings. I'd love to see the two main characters from that, Matteo and Tzigone, meet Arilyn and Danilo!

Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2021 :  00:53:55  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow, you are in for a treat! Her main characters are particularly memorable & well-rounded.

From the Songs & Swords trilogy: Arilyn & Danilo

From the Starlight and Shadows trilogy: Liriel, Fyodor, Thorn and Sharlarra.

Also, Evermeet is pretty awesome too.

Other novel characters that I'd like to see more of:

Sinnafain & Doum'wielle

Dahlia Sin"felle

Galaeron & Keya Nihmedu, Morgwais & Takari.

Ilsevele Miritar, Fflar & Araevin.

Edited by - BenN on 17 Mar 2021 00:55:35
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2021 :  02:11:49  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I disliked 4e, there were some good novels written during that time, such as Shadowbane, Chosen of Nendawen, and Unbroken Chain. All of these novels felt unfinished. Not in the sense of bad writing, but in the sense that the authors had likely planned to write more, but then weren't able to. But I wish they could revisit these stories and characters.

Go to Top of Page

Captain Grafalcon
Learned Scribe

Brazil
129 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2021 :  13:46:56  Show Profile Send Captain Grafalcon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to read more stories from the Uskreven family, the Sembia series was a pleasant surprise. Unlike what I imagined, the best books in the series were from the characters I expected least. I would also like more stories from Galvin, the druid of Red Magic (Jean Rabe, Harper Series) ... I have never seen a druid use powers in such a cool way. Some seamanship stories wouldn't be bad either.

"Surely you recognize that armies carrying banners are almost always thieves—until they win."
Jarlaxle, mercenary leader of Bregan D'aerthe.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2021 :  23:34:04  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I miss all the characters created by Jeff Grubb/Kate Novak (Alias/Finder/Olive/Giogi/Dragonbait/Joel/Holly/Cat)
I miss the Simbul
I miss Artus Cimber
Danilo, solo...sorry Arilyn fans.
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2021 :  18:36:28  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of Elaine Cunningham's work.

I'd like a thematic sequel to Elves of Evermeet and see the Tree of Life be planted and watch that grow in stories and characters.

I highly enjoyed Odom's trilogy set in Chondath, and would have welcomed more of series like that.

Such as...a trilogy in the Moonsea region!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000