Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 [5e] What's happening in Lantan?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ColourCodedQuotes
Acolyte

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2021 :  09:26:42  Show Profile Send ColourCodedQuotes a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So far I haven't been able to find much material that addresses what the current situation is in Lantan, now that it's returned from Abeir. Especially with the 5e artificer class, I wonder why Lantan seems to be completely unacknowledged in this regards - after all, Lantan seems to be *tailored* to being the central location for artificers for FR. I mean the Second Sundering in general seems to be largely unacknowledged in canon 5e FR-based materials, but considering this class I would expect some better acknowledgement, given that the Artificer class originated from Eberron, but now that it's become a canon class, should have some general history in the main histories, including FR.

That's a lot of rambling though. My question is just what's in the title: What's happening in Lantan post-5e shift?

So is there any post-Second Sundering history for Lantan that I'm missing?

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2021 :  01:43:07  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no info about any place outside the Sword Coast in 5e, with the exception of Chult and Icewind Dale. So, it's up to you to define it. Or use whatever fanon you like.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2021 :  21:21:04  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lantan is mentioned, if only briefly, on page 71 in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (Wizards of the Coast, 2015, Kim Mohan) according to the Forgotten Realms Wiki page for Lantan. It seems to me that the 5th edition FR lore is just attempts at undoing the rued & regretted 4th ed changes to the FR lore. Lantan is just one of those "Whoops! Let's hit the reset button on that one." That little snippet of 5th ed lore implies that Lantan had become xenophobic, isolationist, and technologically more advanced... at least for the survivors since the 4th ed lore is still counted as canon and that explicitly stated the people in Lantan during the Spell Plague(tm) were blasted out of existence as every piece of technology in the land simultaneously blew up with the survivors drowning in the mass floods caused by multiple tsunamis submerging the islands. Population = 0.

If you think about it, this was just messed up from the point of view for the surviving Lantans. For nothing that they did, some of them were sent into exile and the rest were executed by explosion, asphyxiation, or both. The remainder had to fill all the voids created in their society from the people whom were no longer there to keep the basics of their civilization afloat as the infrastructure would collapse without the production & distribution of food caused by this disastrous skilled & unskilled labor loss. And what knowledge would the survivors have for what happened & why so many people disappeared from their lives? This is total upheaval & suffering without explanation that creates grief, fear, and misdirected anger that would target figures/institutions of authority that had prior to this event offered protection (government) & comfort (religion). And then, a century later, they're back! Well, at least the ones that were on the island at that time - who knows about any that happened to be at sea or in foreign lands at that point. Without warning or seemingly care, the descendants of that first disaster had a less disastrous but no less alarming exile from the world they were born into. There is no enemy they can fight, no god they can appeal to, and no technology or art made that can overcome these instantaneous afflictions that they must suffer.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000