Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What does the Priesthood of Auril eat?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rekov
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2021 :  06:08:33  Show Profile Send Rekov a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Or her devoted followers/worshipers. The question obviously arises because the usual process of cooking food involves fire.

So do they solely subsist on raw/uncooked food? You can denature some stuff with acids but really...

Or do the priests of Auril make lesser followers/servants/slaves cook for them and remain unsullied themselves?

What's the deal?

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2021 :  06:25:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can not find any lore that says the followers can not use fire to cook or just stay alive.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2021 :  14:14:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah, I wouldn't say that priest go THAT far that they don't use fire at all. Not only do they have to eat, but they also have to drink, and that requires water that's not frozen in ice form. That being said, they CAN create magic items that generate heat without fire. Many foods might be cooked in boiling water as well for instance, and separate steam chambers can also be used to cook foods. Even lower temperature heats generated on items can be enough to cook food, just as we see in modern day with things like crock pots (which generate heats that won't even boil water). After all, we must consider that not all followers of Auril can even live without a source of heat of some kind (many may, but not all, and before they become devout enough to get that far, they have to survive... and likely they have to survive amongst a congregation).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 08 Jan 2021 14:39:43
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2021 :  15:20:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Food.

Actually, I recall the Hooded One saying here at the Keep that during the day they use reflected sunlight usually off snow to cook food rather than naked, direct flame.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 08 Jan 2021 15:28:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2021 :  16:35:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd assume they use fire when necessary and eat regular food.

I'd also assume, though, that one of the first things they learn is "don't eat yellow snow."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rekov
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2021 :  19:09:37  Show Profile Send Rekov a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would guess that most people who pray/make offerings to Auril are normal people living in the cold regions of the world, and they are more trying to ward of Auril/a cold winter than actually devoted followers. I would assume these people use fire to cook without thought.

It's really more the genuinely devoted that I was wondering about. I think a few eskimo tribes don't regularly use cooking for their meats, and instead eat seal, fish, walrus, etc raw. They also use body heat to keep water liquid for drinking. I suppose those are options as well.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2021 :  20:51:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rekov

I think a few eskimo tribes don't regularly use cooking for their meats, and instead eat seal, fish, walrus, etc raw. They also use body heat to keep water liquid for drinking. I suppose those are options as well.

In those cases, it's a matter of resources. Trees are not exactly the most abundant things in Arctic climes.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2021 :  23:41:41  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine they obtain Rocky Road from the Grumbarryn and pudding pops from the Ghaunadauran.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2021 :  23:47:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

I imagine they obtain Rocky Road from the Grumbarryn and pudding pops from the Ghaunadauran.

You do not want to know what a priest of Auril would do for a Klondike bar!

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2021 :  16:45:19  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Azar

You do not want to know what a priest of Auril would do for a Klondike bar!

Fortunately, they can raid Ulutiu's freezer whenever they're fiending for a fix...the guy is always napping. No wonder he's only a demipower .

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2021 :  10:29:20  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rawfood is a thing. You can do all kinds of mechanical preparation to food to make it edible if it isn't already, and it's not impossible to sustain yourself on it.

On the other hand you have different fingers.
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2021 :  10:31:21  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

"don't eat yellow snow."

You should always eat yellow snow. It might be beer.

On the other hand you have different fingers.
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2021 :  13:08:05  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aren’t we missing the obvious here?

Ice Cream (You scream, the watch arrives, and we’re all very cool.)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000