Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Why be human in 5e with new rules - Tasha's
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2020 :  08:36:07  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The old High Gygaxian writings are full of wonderful little gems like this random encounter table and Gygax's famous "it is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules" afterword.

Say what you will about it - it is indeed a raw, rough, rudimentary, incomplete, half-broken gaming system. Not to mention that it's a bit stuffy and antiquated, full of dated language and contexts (and attitudes) from a formative era, things which have since been evolved towards more refined designs.

But one thing that cannot be said is that it shows Gygax had any "lack of imagination".
That particular failing was introduced into the game and the genre by later generations.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2020 :  13:30:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Then just give ability-poor human races some sort of +% experience bonus. Or give ability-rich non-human races some sort of -% experience malus.

The end result would still be human races lacking any special intrinsic abilities and advantages. No extra stats, skills, feats, ines of text to fill up "Racial abilities". But, compared vs non-human races, human "versatility" or "drive" (or whatever) allows humans to reach their goals faster, and to move further beyond those goals towards attaining other goals.

All else being equal, a low-level human would be reliant on the low-level elf's stealth and the low-level dwarf's robustness.
But the mid-level human might have an extra level which makes him somewhat more "versatile" and "adaptable" in any situation (instead of especially useful only in forested or underground environments, for example).
And the high-level human might be ahead of his high-level non-human peers by a couple full levels (which is even more of a significant advantage since the other racial abilities will tend to be disused in favour of other abilities).
High-level adventuring parties don't need the elf to spot secret doors or the dwarf to figure out how the stone mechanism operates, they have too many other ways to see or manipulate hidden things, they'll just smash and blast and cast their way around the map so the guy who's already doing "next level" stuff has noticeable advantages over the rest of the party. No wonder so many mixed-race adventuring parties are led by humans.

An elf can accumulate mastery over steel and magic across many centuries. Yet even with this "race" headstart he can be challenged by a human who's developed equivalent skills in just decades. And he can be completely outclassed, outpaced, overwhelmed when that human continues developing more skills and powers over yet another few alarmingly short decades.

On ONE hand, Ayrik I think this is one of the simplest and most elegant solutions I've seen, and I half wish I had thought of it. In a game where a dungeon master actually does what he's supposed to and gives out X experience points at the end and people keep track of it, this might be a very very good way to handle it. Its also a good way to explain why so many of the high level NPC's are human. I'd still probably say add an extra skill choice or something to give some mechanical bonus at the start too (since a lot of campaigns barely get past 7th level). The only issue would be if you have what amounts to a somewhat lazy DM who doesn't issue XP and does the "ok everyone gets a level" trick (sadly, the last few DM's I've had fall into this category, and I wonder if its not becoming a trend as the gaming community ages), but in that case if the % were like 25% then when everyone else in the party reaches 4th level I guess that the player could probably talk said DM into letting them be 5th lvl "because their race has that ability".

It might be better though if this % goes down as the player levels so as to make this eventually go away. For instance, the first few levels, its at as high as 50%. By say 5th level it drops to 25%. At 10th level it goes away. This would allow for there to be lots of lower level humans who quickly and easily achieve 2nd or 3rd level.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 24 Nov 2020 14:05:20
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2020 :  14:15:55  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One can argue that those things you all mentioned are not entirely his creations. I don't want to delve into that quagmire, but the Anderson vs Gygax debate do exist, after all.

Anyways, Gygax was unable (and perhaps even unwilling) to see that, while indeed we are humans, and cannot think in an nonhuman manner, we can extrapolate from our own "humanity" and imagine how would be to live among nonhumans in ways beyond the outdated "humanity is too perfect and must lead" philosophy. As I already said, there are plenty of fiction works out there that have converted that stuff into a genre.

But I digress.

I don't feel that giving extra xp would be a good solution. For one, it feels like punishing the players for using nonhumans. And second, it's not useable with the milestones method of leveling up (what sleyvas call "lazy DMing"), that is the default method of leveling up in the published adventures.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 24 Nov 2020 14:21:38
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2020 :  14:58:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, partly an aside, but I never had played a dragonborn or even made a dragonborn NPC or even had a dragonborn in a party with me. I've only read about them in novels and game material. So until this conversation I had not realized what Zeromarux was talking about with that race being so poorly written up. I'm curious as to what people think would be the fix for that race to make it more balanced to the other races. It made me go back to the somewhat original source for the concept of dragonborn (races of the dragon, and I understand some people might say the concept goes back to 1e with draconians). In that edition, they didn't get both darkvision AND a breath weapon... but they could use their breath weapon over and over (once every 1d4 rounds). So, they had a choice, either breath weapon or extreme senses or wings. In this 5e edition they get their breath weapon once per short rest. Quite frankly, that blows. I actually think they should get both sets of abilities related to breath and extreme senses. Thus, keep the breath weapon and keep it limited (they aren't true dragons after all), but give them senses like a dragons. I'm thinking darkvision and keen hearing and smell (i.e. advantage on perception checks related to hearing and smell) make sense though as extra add ons to the race that don't break the bank. Also, perhaps some kind of advantage on saving throws against fear type effects. This is a minor bonus as well, but it mirrors the general "feel" I have for what a dragonborn is like.

As much as I'd like to say "give them some armor bonus for their scales as well", I think it starts to creep on overpowering them.... unless it were done as something wherein this armor bonus ONLY applies if they are wearing no armor. For instance, having a base armor class of 12 instead of 10 when unarmored. This actually would make them really nice choices for wizards as well. Its also not so much of a bonus that the mage armor spell or the wearing of magical armor with a simple +1 bonus doesn't become better than this. It could be good if it were specified to work with the unarmored defense of the monk or barbarian (such that they become 12 + dex + {con for barb} or {wis for monk}), and could really encourage dragonborn of these types.

I'd be hesitant to allow them to have wings as a 1st level character, though having a feat or a higher level ability that allows them to "unlock" their draconic ties or somesuch could make sense... and I bet if I dig there's probably something like that already made. If someone wants a flying character at first level, there's other options, like aarakocra, where this is very intrinsic to their character, moreso than the dragonborn.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 24 Nov 2020 15:38:40
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2020 :  15:34:59  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

BTW, partly an aside, but I never had played a dragonborn or even made a dragonborn NPC or even had a dragonborn in a party with me. I've only read about them in novels and game material. So until this conversation I had not realized what Zeromarux was talking about with that race being so poorly written up. I'm curious as to what people think would be the fix for that race to make it more balanced to the other races.

You should search "homebrew dragonborn" or "revised dragonborn" in Google to see how many different versions you can get. I've got at least ten different versions in my D&D homebrew stuff folder, and I've ignored those "fixes" that don't appeal to my tastes (I like my 4e looking dragonborn, not those derived from chromatic/metallic subraces*).

I guess WotC got the message and they are just ignoring it. Because so many fans fixing something in the game for the top 5 most used race should mean something

The problem most people have with them is that they are "one trick ponies". And their trick sucks. They have just one ability (draconic heritage) that gives them energy resistance and a poor scaling breath weapon that cost an action. An action that you can use doing more useful stuff with your class stuff. They get nothing more, not even a skill profiency. As if energy resistance were that overpowered.

To add insult to injury, they don't sinergize with the draconic lineage sorcerer.

quote:

but they could use their breath weapon over and over (once every 1d4 rounds)... In this 5e edition they get their breath weapon once per short rest. Quite frankly, that blows.

My fix to this (that shamelessly stole from a guy in a forum) was to better scale the damage (using cantrips as a model), and changed the usage from "short rest" to "recharge 5-6" (see Monster Manual, p.11), same as half-dragons.

And I gave them darkvision, as well.

quote:

As much as I'd like to say "give them some armor bonus for their scales as well", I think it starts to creep on overpowering them....

Lizardfolk do have that from the beginning, tho. Why is not overpowered for them?

Anyways, dragonborn have a feat that gives them this in Xanathar's.

quote:

I'd be hesitant to allow them to have wings as a 1st level character, though having a feat or a higher level ability that allows them to "unlock" their draconic ties or somesuch could make sense... and I bet if I dig there's probably something like that already made.

They have a feat in an UA that gives them wings. I agree with you, this is something that they should unlock. But this was part of their lore in 4e, lol

*Though, seeing the art from Tasha's, I guess now all dragonborn will have their look based in their heritage. The dragonborn there look like half-dragons.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 24 Nov 2020 15:49:27
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2020 :  18:06:05  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

quote:
...and Gygax's famous "it is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules" afterword.

Agreed! This was one of his most important statements to the gaming community in my opinion.

quote:
Say what you will about it - it is indeed a raw, rough, rudimentary, incomplete, half-broken gaming system. Not to mention that it's a bit stuffy and antiquated, full of dated language and contexts (and attitudes) from a formative era, things which have since been evolved towards more refined designs.

Agreed as to the raw, rough, rudimentary, incomplete, half-broken gaming system, from our well informed perspective now, I argue. Imagine what it must have been like, growing up playing Gettysburg from Avalon Hill in 1958 (I think that was the year it was listed he first played it though it was released in 1953). He played it so much his wife initially thought he was cheating on her, lol. To be so ingrained in that wargaming community, but then to come out with something like D&D after releasing Cavaliers and Roundheads was a big deal. You're putting your reputation out there that could lead to that sink or swim moment. So, that was pretty dang imaginative and ballsy I think.

quote:
But one thing that cannot be said is that it shows Gygax had any "lack of imagination". That particular failing was introduced into the game and the genre by later generations.

Agreed.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2020 :  02:03:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

quote:

BTW, partly an aside, but I never had played a dragonborn or even made a dragonborn NPC or even had a dragonborn in a party with me. I've only read about them in novels and game material. So until this conversation I had not realized what Zeromarux was talking about with that race being so poorly written up. I'm curious as to what people think would be the fix for that race to make it more balanced to the other races.

You should search "homebrew dragonborn" or "revised dragonborn" in Google to see how many different versions you can get. I've got at least ten different versions in my D&D homebrew stuff folder, and I've ignored those "fixes" that don't appeal to my tastes (I like my 4e looking dragonborn, not those derived from chromatic/metallic subraces*).

I guess WotC got the message and they are just ignoring it. Because so many fans fixing something in the game for the top 5 most used race should mean something

The problem most people have with them is that they are "one trick ponies". And their trick sucks. They have just one ability (draconic heritage) that gives them energy resistance and a poor scaling breath weapon that cost an action. An action that you can use doing more useful stuff with your class stuff. They get nothing more, not even a skill profiency. As if energy resistance were that overpowered.

To add insult to injury, they don't sinergize with the draconic lineage sorcerer.

quote:

but they could use their breath weapon over and over (once every 1d4 rounds)... In this 5e edition they get their breath weapon once per short rest. Quite frankly, that blows.

My fix to this (that shamelessly stole from a guy in a forum) was to better scale the damage (using cantrips as a model), and changed the usage from "short rest" to "recharge 5-6" (see Monster Manual, p.11), same as half-dragons.

And I gave them darkvision, as well.

quote:

As much as I'd like to say "give them some armor bonus for their scales as well", I think it starts to creep on overpowering them....

Lizardfolk do have that from the beginning, tho. Why is not overpowered for them?

Anyways, dragonborn have a feat that gives them this in Xanathar's.

quote:

I'd be hesitant to allow them to have wings as a 1st level character, though having a feat or a higher level ability that allows them to "unlock" their draconic ties or somesuch could make sense... and I bet if I dig there's probably something like that already made.

They have a feat in an UA that gives them wings. I agree with you, this is something that they should unlock. But this was part of their lore in 4e, lol

*Though, seeing the art from Tasha's, I guess now all dragonborn will have their look based in their heritage. The dragonborn there look like half-dragons.

Well, you made me take a look at the lizardfolk. It sounds like the exact same thing I was saying to add except that they go a full 13 instead of 12 (what I meant about overpowering would be if you said to add a basic flat armor bonus no matter what they were wearing, which is how people were doing it back in 3e). I don't see a problem with either 12 or 13, though I'd probably choose 12 just to allow for more abilities for the dragonborn. In the end, it only really matters if the person isn't going to wear armor at all (so possibly wizard, monk, or barbarian... or a class that only gets light armor).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Risven
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2020 :  02:56:23  Show Profile Send Risven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Risven

I like the optional rules for races introduced in Tasha's, and I can't see any reason they would affect the 'balance' of races in the Realms. Races aren't making decisions based on their bonuses, or comparing those bonuses to other races. Players do that, and 5E has been pretty clear that PCs are exceptional people anyway.

Then quite frankly you aren't reading what I wrote above where I laid out how this changes things.

I probably should have quoted (apologies!), but I wasn't specifically talking about your points - I meant to address the expansion of the question, where folks were talking about the balance of races in a game world and Gygax's class/level limits.

quote:

For those that want to turn this into something about racism, my point is that the rules can be balanced and not enforcing racism at the same time. You don't have to ruin balance in order to achieve this goal. Nor am I convinced that these changes truly promote the "end of racism".

I agree, but this might be the best that 5E can do for now. I'm not sure what else they could do - anything more and they might have to rework a lot of the rules...which they might be saving for 6E, but that could be a ways off.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2020 :  14:17:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I like the optional rules for races introduced in Tasha's, and I can't see any reason they would affect the 'balance' of races in the Realms. Races aren't making decisions based on their bonuses, or comparing those bonuses to other races. Players do that, and 5E has been pretty clear that PCs are exceptional people anyway.

Then quite frankly you aren't reading what I wrote above where I laid out how this changes things.

I probably should have quoted (apologies!), but I wasn't specifically talking about your points - I meant to address the expansion of the question, where folks were talking about the balance of races in a game world and Gygax's class/level limits.

quote:

For those that want to turn this into something about racism, my point is that the rules can be balanced and not enforcing racism at the same time. You don't have to ruin balance in order to achieve this goal. Nor am I convinced that these changes truly promote the "end of racism".

I agree, but this might be the best that 5E can do for now. I'm not sure what else they could do - anything more and they might have to rework a lot of the rules...which they might be saving for 6E, but that could be a ways off.

Let me be clear here that my response here is aimed at the designers, because I know they read things in various forums and articles. The answer then is not to create a rules issue for some false gesture. Otherwise they stand the chance of making their base believe that its not about the game and that they feel like the company is more concerned with some faux political shenanigans rather than the game that we're buying their product to play. Honestly, based on some of the responses I've seen to this and other things, this is the feeling I get. If they want to create valid rules that address things that they may feel passionate about put in the work (i.e.... don't slap some BS together and throw it out like its a fix that even non-professionals can shoot holes through in minutes, all it ends up doing is dividing their base until they eventually head off to something else).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2020 :  22:01:20  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was my impression that only Dwarves get the +2/+2 stat bonus, but you're still a "dwarf"?

I think the added affect of a Feat from vHuman, extra Skill proficiency (which I guess could be swapped out for a Tool one?) and +1/+1 to any two stats is still pretty good. Though, I'll admit that I really don't want to allow or incorporate this particular stat rule in my games. So I might just say you can change out Proficiencies with tools/skills and some other stuff but Innate abilities (Darkvision, poison resistance) are just apart of "who" you are that can't be changed.

As for other elements of the Book, there seems to be a LOT of repeats. I understand this is specifically designed for Adventure League rules (the whole dumb rule of PHB +1) but that means they can re-print a lot of material all over again and at least get some appreciation from the fan-base. For example, I already have Mythic Odysseys of Theros, Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica, Sword Coast Adventure Guide, AND the Eberron books. SO I don't really need reprints of Oath of Glory Paladins, Spore Druids, Order domain clerics, Bladesingers (though the subtle change to the archetype based on Proficiency bonus is nice), or Artificers. Not to mention all the Cantrip spells from SCAG. Its just needless filler IMO.

I do like the feats. I don't like the overall nerf to the Rune Knight (everything was fine except the extra damage for all attacks, that should've been reduced to 1/turn). I'll never incorporate the removal of Racial Requirements for Bladesingers or Battleragers (even in my 4E Games, Battlerager Fighters are Dwarves and Bladesingers are elves/eladrin/half-elves. I DO allow Shadar-kai Bladesingers as I see them as Shadow-fey but not Drow).

Other things I do like: some of the Fighting Styles are pretty cool, though I've been using them since they've became available in Unearthend Arcana, like Interception (reaction, negate 1d10 + prof. bonus from incoming attack within 5-ft. of an ally) which I've been using with my Air Genasi Fighter (Warlord). Also, Blessed Warrior (paladins get 2 cleric cantrips that use Charisma for their casting stat). I think a Paladin with this style gets Sacred Flame and Radiant Hands, makes it more like your 4E Paladin. Most of the other sub-classes are "meh" for me, just not my cup of tea.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2020 :  00:03:54  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See I'm thinking the Custom Lineage is meant to be the 'new' human. But regardless, I completely agree they should have done something for humans to make them more attractive. To be honest, though, even before Tahsa's I've seen very few humans played even with the variant feat making them a strong contender for play.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2020 :  00:50:08  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weird. If you don't see humans in play, perhaps something changed in your group, because humans are the most used race in 5e, and by wide margin compared to the others.

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/dd-survey-results-summary

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 26 Nov 2020 00:52:12
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2020 :  22:44:39  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I've seen that before. I think that stat comes mostly from organized play. In the last 3-4 groups I've played in (over the past 4 years) I've seen very few humans played. I don't know if that corresponds to most tables or not, but it's been my experience.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2020 :  05:28:20  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Arcanamach,

quote:
But regardless, I completely agree they should have done something for humans to make them more attractive.

Out of curiosity, why do you think they made it to where human's are not that attractive to play?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2020 :  14:44:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Arcanamach,

quote:
But regardless, I completely agree they should have done something for humans to make them more attractive.

Out of curiosity, why do you think they made it to where human's are not that attractive to play?

Best regards,

read the first entry into all this.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2020 :  14:55:37  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dragonborn have been the neglected race of 5e since the beginning. This optional rule actually benefits them, albeit if only a little, lol. As a mainly dragonborn player, I've never used the official dragonborn, but some fanmade fix I found in a forum, lol.

And no, their goals aren't about balance since at least, last year. Or more.

My fix to this particular issue would be to always go Vhuman, and give them an extra ASI. That would balance them a little.

Aside from Breath Weapon being pretty boring, what fixes do they need? At least, compared to what they were in 4th Edition? Honestly I'd love to see some sort of Breath Marking ability like we got in 4E! The ability to Mark many enemies in an area with that would be awesome.

As for the vHuman, two +1s, an extra Skill proficiency, and a free Feat is still pretty decent. When you're talking about adding a new ASI to that, do you mean an additional +2 / two +1s? Or simply just another +1?
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2020 :  23:44:26  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Aside from Breath Weapon being pretty boring, what fixes do they need? At least, compared to what they were in 4th Edition?

They only have a pretty weak breath weapon and a situational damage resistance, that I feel it is the equivalent to 4e's draconic heritage (that gave them +CON mod to healing surge value).

And they have nothing more. They lack any skill proficiencies, that other races have in 5e. In 4e, dragonborn had a +2 bonus to history and intimidation, so I could give them a proficiency in history only, if giving it too intimidation feels to powerful, as it's combat applicable.

They also lack an ability to replace "dragonborn fury" (+2 to attack rolls when bloodied). 5e orcs have their critical hit stuffs, so dragonborn can have something similar.

quote:

As for the vHuman, two +1s, an extra Skill proficiency, and a free Feat is still pretty decent. When you're talking about adding a new ASI to that, do you mean an additional +2 / two +1s? Or simply just another +1?

Just another +1.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 29 Nov 2020 06:00:49
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  00:58:11  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "racist" argument is beyond me; I and the people I play with can separate reality from fiction (and vice versa) just fine. Anyone who believes that the inclusion of standard-issue drow or orcs is automatically indicative of real-world prejudice needs to thoroughly examine their assumption.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  03:44:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's not have that argument again, please.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  05:59:51  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still wondering why humans need a mechanical edge to be relevant lorewise... I mean, really, there is a need to repeat that dragonborn are among the top 5 most played race, and they are mechanically the weakest race in D&D 5e so far?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  17:54:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm still wondering why humans need a mechanical edge to be relevant lorewise... I mean, really, there is a need to repeat that dragonborn are among the top 5 most played race, and they are mechanically the weakest race in D&D 5e so far?

I'd actually be very surprised by that statistic, and I wonder how they even remotely came across it. There are so many households that don't report to WotC, that just getting the data might be hard. Not saying they aren't a popular race, but top 5 seems high. I'd expect human, dwarf, elf, half-elf and then that last spot would be hard to pick between halfling, gnome, genasi, aasimar, tiefling, dragonborn, minotaur, centaur, aarakocra, tabaxi, etc... amongst the published races. Did they limit it to the PHB? If they're pulling it from a site, it might be skewed by the people that go to said site (for instance, I know a lot of folks didn't go to WotC forums even when they had them, because of a number of reasons). It can also be skewed by how many people responded. In my own 5e games, noone has been interested in playing a dragonborn, though I was interested in their history and culture from novels and such. Still, I know they have a following, and I can understand why. Its actually kind of odd for me that I have played a squirrel (kercpa) and am interested in a lot of animal humanoids (wemics, tabaxi, bearfolk/urskans, aarakocra that look like parrots, centaurs and a size medium hybsil, etc...) and I haven't really considered playing a dragonborn. I guess in my mind I think of them as NPC's or too alien, since most of the things I'd play are either mammalian like or bird like.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  00:39:49  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Aside from Breath Weapon being pretty boring, what fixes do they need? At least, compared to what they were in 4th Edition?

They only have a pretty weak breath weapon and a situational damage resistance, that I feel it is the equivalent to 4e's draconic heritage (that gave them +CON mod to healing surge value).

And they have nothing more. They lack any skill proficiencies, that other races have in 5e. In 4e, dragonborn had a +2 bonus to history and intimidation, so I could give them a proficiency in history only, if giving it too intimidation feels to powerful, as it's combat applicable.

I do like that. Might have to use that in our games as well.

quote:

They also lack an ability to replace "dragonborn fury" (+2 to attack rolls when bloodied). 5e orcs have their critical hit stuffs, so dragonborn can have something similar.

Unfortunately there's no "bloodied" condition in 5E or really, anything equivalent. Maybe they could have advantage on their next attack against someone who hit them in a previous round (sort of like Hellish Rebuke's ability)?

quote:

quote:

Just another +1.

I like it. I might have to add that to them as well, so they get a Skill Proficiency, a bonus feat, and a +2/+1 stat allocation. Really, the one who suffers the most from these changes of Tasha's is the normal Human. They really get absolutely nothing here.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  07:03:50  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Zeromaru X,

Well, I don't think they (or any other character) needs the mechanical edge. I do think that lore and mechanics should often be separate from one another. :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2020 :  08:46:47  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't read the entire thread after my last post but I came up with this afterwards: Every 5th level a human can gain +1 to an ability score or one benefit from a standard feat. Most feats have 3 benefits to offer. This would mean that, by 15th level, they could have acquired another bonus feat. By 20th level they could have 4 extra ability points (2 ASIs). But, given that the idea behind humans is drive/ambition and adaptability...they can mix/match what they want from various feats to build something really unique.

Example:
5th Level - +5 bonus to Initiative (Alert feat)
10th level - +5 bonus to passive Perception and passive Investigation (Observant feat)
15th level - Advantage on concentration checks (War Caster feat)
20th level - Increase speed by 10 feet (Mobile feat)

This isn't perfect, of course. Some feats may have to be disqualified or modified from this. For instance, Ritual Caster really only has one benefit so the DM either needs to disqualify it from this house rule or allow only the initial rituals with no chance to learn more later.

I think this is doable without being too powerful, especially when one considers that most play is over before reaching 15th level.

Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2020 :  08:56:59  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'd actually be very surprised by that statistic, and I wonder how they even remotely came across it. There are so many households that don't report to WotC, that just getting the data might be hard. Not saying they aren't a popular race, but top 5 seems high. I'd expect human, dwarf, elf, half-elf and then that last spot would be hard to pick between halfling, gnome, genasi, aasimar, tiefling, dragonborn, minotaur, centaur, aarakocra, tabaxi, etc... amongst the published races. Did they limit it to the PHB? If they're pulling it from a site, it might be skewed by the people that go to said site (for instance, I know a lot of folks didn't go to WotC forums even when they had them, because of a number of reasons). It can also be skewed by how many people responded. In my own 5e games, noone has been interested in playing a dragonborn, though I was interested in their history and culture from novels and such. Still, I know they have a following, and I can understand why. Its actually kind of odd for me that I have played a squirrel (kercpa) and am interested in a lot of animal humanoids (wemics, tabaxi, bearfolk/urskans, aarakocra that look like parrots, centaurs and a size medium hybsil, etc...) and I haven't really considered playing a dragonborn. I guess in my mind I think of them as NPC's or too alien, since most of the things I'd play are either mammalian like or bird like.

It almost certainly is drawing on D&D Beyond's data. There's a lot of furries out there, and a lot of non-furry fans who want their character to look more distinct than "fancy human," with dragonborn as the least-human race in the PHB.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2020 :  21:13:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

quote:

quote:

It almost certainly is drawing on D&D Beyond's data. There's a lot of furries out there, and a lot of non-furry fans who want their character to look more distinct than "fancy human," with dragonborn as the least-human race in the PHB.

Can you point me to the actual data source? I found one thing online that said that dragonborn were the 5th most used, and it was using data from a reddit poll that had about 80 respondents, and even at that, the "5th" spot was shared with another race. So data can be vastly skewed given that its only folks going to reddit (who might share interests), a small pool, etc..I'm not at all opposed to the idea, I would just be surprised by the statistic, given what I've seen and heard from folks. Then again, the number of animal/bird races provides a lot more different options, so that may drive that particular group down (whereas for reptilians there's lizardfolk and dragonborn.... maybe I could find kobold somewhere if I looked besides a third party... not sure if there's any others).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2020 :  21:19:00  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Took four seconds to google “D&D Beyond most popular races.”

https://www.enworld.org/threads/d-d-beyond-updated-character-popularity.656950/

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2020 :  21:36:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I didn't read the entire thread after my last post but I came up with this afterwards: Every 5th level a human can gain +1 to an ability score or one benefit from a standard feat. Most feats have 3 benefits to offer. This would mean that, by 15th level, they could have acquired another bonus feat. By 20th level they could have 4 extra ability points (2 ASIs). But, given that the idea behind humans is drive/ambition and adaptability...they can mix/match what they want from various feats to build something really unique.

Example:
5th Level - +5 bonus to Initiative (Alert feat)
10th level - +5 bonus to passive Perception and passive Investigation (Observant feat)
15th level - Advantage on concentration checks (War Caster feat)
20th level - Increase speed by 10 feet (Mobile feat)

This isn't perfect, of course. Some feats may have to be disqualified or modified from this. For instance, Ritual Caster really only has one benefit so the DM either needs to disqualify it from this house rule or allow only the initial rituals with no chance to learn more later.

I think this is doable without being too powerful, especially when one considers that most play is over before reaching 15th level.

Yeah, this would need some work only because of the "how do you break out the feats" thing, but its working towards the right direction. "Choosing their own skill" isn't as powerful as many folks thing (especially a lot of folks who play older versions and haven't ever built a character in 5e). Its pretty easy to do that given the background system, which basically says "if your background gives you a skill that you get from elsewhere, just choose something else". Then when you consider that most backgrounds that fit a class also offer similar skills, you can see where its pretty easy to get a skill that you can freely pick from. So, given that a lot of races get some skill as a bonus, if they want a free to choose skill, they just need to pick a background that gives a skill that matches one they get from their class or their race already.

Maybe straight up a second feat at 1st level or possibly proficiency in a second skill (or maybe the second feat comes in at 4th level character instead of right up front). Actually, I think I favor the feat over an additional skill, because if they want the skill, there's a feat to get a skill. That puts a lot of their power up front mind you, but then so do a lot of the races as well (i.e. having darkvision from the start is very helpful, so is having cantrips like minor illusion or halfling's ability to hide that's made so much easier). Given that most other races have a total of +3 bonus, also giving humans a +2 in one of their two abilities and +1 in the other to match at the start would make sense. This gives them a lot more versatility, makes them a valid choice again. I still feel for dragonborn after having looked at them, but given that the majority of players are doing humans, NPC's are humans, etc... I think they need to worry more about balancing for humans. Separately, they could also redesign dragonborn as well.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2020 :  00:38:38  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe keftiu,

Nice! I wasn't sure what the timeframe would be on the search results! :) I was hedging at 6.1 seconds myself. Google was performing well on that search! :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2020 :  17:30:00  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We got an updated top 5 from D&D Beyond here (https://www.geeknative.com/103964/the-most-popular-dd-races-in-dd-beyond-in-2020/):

1. Human
2. Half-Elf
3. Dragonborn
4. Tiefling
5. Half-Orc

It seems 2020 saw a rise in the popularity of non-Tolkienian races, but humans are still top 1. This is going to change post-Tasha's, surely, with dwarves entering the top 5 again thanks to min/maxers

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000