Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Deity List - Living & Dead Per Period of Time
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2020 :  14:49:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the above, the question of freedom at the expense of others. I literally mean that people who have extreme freedom to do whatever they want often have to be supported by people who are handling the things that said person doesn't want to deal with, and those people may not have a choice in the matter. In the case of Nimbral, for instance, the Nimbral Lords and nobility have extremes of freedom. The dockworker or barmaid however has less choice in matters. This isn't anything necessarily evil, and may simply be a lack of conviction on the part of the dockworker or barmaid to change their options. Technically, those people aren't forced to stay in their station, but its obvious that some people may have an easier path to freedom. This is fairly true to any society.

On the "what is a hero"... exactly... too many people don't actually ask that question, and by default they're left with a "Disneyfied" view of heroism (which don't get me wrong... I love Disney stories... but I also like seeing stories like the witcher with what some folk might call an anti-hero). BTW, even Disney isn't confined to these hero stereotypes anymore, and I must say I loved the presentation of Maleficent a few years back.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2020 :  15:09:19  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader slevyas,

quote:
In the above, the question of freedom at the expense of others. This isn't anything necessarily evil, and may simply be a lack of conviction on the part of the dockworker or barmaid to change their options. Technically, those people aren't forced to stay in their station, but its obvious that some people may have an easier path to freedom. This is fairly true to any society.

Exactly! That is how I have it in my campaign. If you don't like where you are at, change it, i.e. change jobs, move, kill a lord of Nimbral. Whatever is needed.

quote:
On the "what is a hero"... exactly... too many people don't actually ask that question, and by default they're left with a "Disneyfied" view of heroism (which don't get me wrong... I love Disney stories... but I also like seeing stories like the witcher with what some folk might call an anti-hero). BTW, even Disney isn't confined to these hero stereotypes anymore, and I must say I loved the presentation of Maleficent a few years back.

Only because I've studied it a ton for the Realms, there are many examples of of "heroes" being pretty awful people in the Realms. That is of course, if you hold a certain view on things.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000