Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Reason for the drifting Solstice?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pitiless_One
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2020 :  18:51:44  Show Profile Send Pitiless_One a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Referencing the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (p.18), the solstices and equinoxes drifted or began to drift beginning in 1487 DR, the same year the Sundering ended, with no explanation.

Is this a course correction for something I missed from the spellplagues? If not, is it possible that Toril and Abier swapped cosmos?

When an animal looks up at the night sky, what does it see? Thousands and thousands of tiny points. Then a man looks up at the same points and sees millions of stars. Galaxies, within which are billions of planets.
Do you want to know what I see? Were you there, when I created the stars?
No.
Space? Time?
No!
But still, you think you deserve understanding.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2020 :  21:07:06  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Drift of solstices and equinoxes can only occur with planet tilt or obit being effected. Clearly in the Realms the normal rules of science do not always work, however longest/shortest sunlight day and equal sunlight of a day of the year depend on tilt of planet in real world.

There might be some mega magic involved because the event that results in the reported observation as a result of the Sundering.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2020 :  22:43:17  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Kentinel,

Is it possible that some heavenly object with a significant enough of a gravitational impact had some impact at that time? I am not astute on the Spellplague stuff as I don't use it at all.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2020 :  01:34:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um, significant portions of land miraculously reappeared.... I don't think we have to look for heavenly objects to explain any kind of planetary slight shifts, etc...

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2020 :  03:59:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pitiless_One

Referencing the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (p.18), the solstices and equinoxes drifted or began to drift beginning in 1487 DR, the same year the Sundering ended, with no explanation.

Since the 3E FRCS came out there's been a lot of things that changed with no explanation.

I think this is another case of a designer deciding something was cool and just dropping it in, without any consideration given for how to make it work or what impact it would have. The Rule of Cool is what rules the setting now.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Oct 2020 04:00:58
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2020 :  07:23:35  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think what happened is purely that one of the SCAG authors decided to "fix" that Greengrass has always been "the official beginning of spring" (1e FRCS, Cyclopedia p.6; 2e FRCS, A Grand Tour of the Realms, p.21; 3e FRCS p.77, and 4e Player's Guide to Faerun p.155) but not the spring equinox (which is the real-world astronomical convention for the start of spring), and Midsummer in the Realms happened astronomically well after what the "real world" calls "Midsummer".

If you use the original Realms seasons, then Midwinter approximates Imbolc/Candelmas/Groundhog Day, Greengrass approximates May Day/Walpurgis Night/Beltane/Floralia, Midsummer approximates Lammas/Lughnasadh, Higharvestide approximates the autumnal equinox, and the Feast of the Moon is around US Thanksgiving or the start of Advent.

If you use the SCAG shifted seasons, then in terms of day length/temperature Midwinter is the winter solstice, Greengrass is the vernal equinox, Midsummer is the summer solstice, Higharvestide is roughly US Labor Day, and The Feast of the Moon season-wise approximates Halloween. Which, of course, corresponds a lot more closely to what a random American would think of as the "right" days for holidays.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2020 :  15:16:01  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-An interesting little throwaway tidbit there, but I wonder why.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2020 :  19:21:03  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

Dang it! I was just trying to throw WotC a bone here. ;) haha

In reality Acolyte Pitiless_One, the Great Reader is correct, as is Master Rupert. For a variety of reasons which could be sheer drunkenness, rage, a lack of sacrifices, or anything else one might conjure up in their mind as a viable excuse... randomness just appears to be the reason for so many interesting things these days from WotC (Why Our Things Change).

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000