Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Factions of Interior Faerun?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mrestos Khorvaen
Acolyte

Spain
48 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2020 :  10:25:49  Show Profile Send Mrestos Khorvaen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The Lord's Alliance is strictly limited to Sword Coast, the Zhentharim have moved to Darkhold, Harpers are stronger at Waterdeep and the North... And also I think the area of Cormyr, Sembia and the Dales have a strong personality for themselves, and need their own factions. Maybe one to represent the Forest Kingdom (War Wizards?) and other to represent the powerful merchant guilds (like Waukeen Goldeneyes?).
Any ideas anyone?

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2020 :  12:17:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem as I see it is if we start naming off factions in the realms, we'll be here for a month. There's so many localized but influential groups in various regions that get overlooked, and then there's the more widespread but LESS influential ones in any region that they actually occupy. What I see with the realms is they want there to be a few factions and make them critical to any adventure path that's created, but the problem is there are no groups that are truly that influential. That's why I kind of laugh when I see the concept that there are Zhent spies in Ten Towns, etc.... I can buy that there may be Zhent spies in Neverwinter, Waterdeep, Silverymoon, and even down south into Memnon, etc.... but every little Tom, dick and harry town won't have zhent spies. Meanwhile, the Lord's alliance WILL have spies/contacts in every small city in the north, but not down south past say Baldur's Gate. Other groups like the twisted rune will be strong in the southwestern realms, but have little influence in the north or the eastern realms. The Cult of the Dragon is another group that's widespread but with only minor influence outside of say Sembia.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2020 :  14:47:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Sleyvas. WotC's faction system is clumsy, and like so much else, stomps on a lot of existing Realmslore with golf shoes on.

That said, Harpers and Zhents will certainly have a presence in Cormyr, Not to run things, obviously -- the Zhents will seek trading advantages and such, and the Harpers would be interested in making sure the Zhents (and anyone else) don't cause too many problems for the common folk..
A place like Cormyr, most of the active power groups will be local -- merchant cabals, scheming nobles, Highknights, War Wizards, that kind of thing. You will have outside groups trying to get into the mix, but they'll often have to work with the local groups.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2020 :  07:31:37  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Khorvaen,

Not only do I agree with both Master Rupert and Great Reader sleyvas, but I think a solution could be to develop the Harpers, Zhentarim, Cult of the Dragon, and Shadowmasters, into extended regional development. That way you're working with something there already, and don't have to deal with the insanity that is the underwhelming amount of current timeline lore from WotC.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Mrestos Khorvaen
Acolyte

Spain
48 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2020 :  10:22:53  Show Profile Send Mrestos Khorvaen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Seyvas: I understand all you say, and you have good points. But I think the regional areas could win some flavour by having local factions.
Master of Mischief Wooly: As you say, the Harpers aren't at their strongest in Cormyr. Cormyr is more apt for aristocracy schemes and dinastic plots than faction fight.

I agree with Master Cpthero: probably they should be introduced as allies of the more setting established factions. Personaly I dislike having the zhentarim everywhere (EVEN in the Underdark, acording to Out of the Abyss!) makes them look like a Cyberpunk corporation, more than a secret evil cabal.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2020 :  12:11:27  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormyr is usually interested in Cormyr, Sembia is usually interested in Sembia. They don't manipulate around (too much) outside their borders except to preemptively "defend" their interests from outside threats.

Zhents just do what Zhents always do. A hundred hidden plots working against everyone else. A thousand hidden plots working against themselves.

The Dales are each stubbornly independent, willful, and fiercely proud. Some are more civilized than others. And their interests are generally selfish, they take care of their own affairs and keep uninvolved (uninterested) in anyone else's.

The only thing which could unify all these disparate little groups into a large faction would be a common external threat. And unless their alliance proved the kind of stuff which guarantees survival, prosperity, and glorious history - they would just drift apart into their own small worlds after the external threat was no longer a threat and the common interest was no longer as pressing as their own separate interests.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Mrestos Khorvaen
Acolyte

Spain
48 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2020 :  13:14:39  Show Profile Send Mrestos Khorvaen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, we have a lack of info about the current Dragonmere situation, but Cormyr emerged from the last crisis (the Netheril invasion) as a regional power. Despite having retired its forces from Sembia, the Forest Kingdom probably stills keeps an important influence over the Merchant Kingdom.
Also before the Sundering and such things, Cormyr had occupied Westgate. So Cormyr cleary has strategic interests in the region.
I've always thought Sembia is an interesting region. So much economic power, so little polytica power. That's why the Cult of the Dragon secretly ruled some of the most important cities, back in the day. Perhaps now, after regaining independence, some sembians would try to restore their country former wealth. Or try to keep it free from foreign intrusions.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2020 :  20:27:47  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Khorvaen,

I really feel that the Cult of the Dragon is a great exploratory option as they have had people all over the place as a matter of location of dragons, so you could have them wherever those dragons are for development.

Another option is to consider the Moonstars. They were started back up in 1479DR and they apparently decided to ditch the idea of what the Moonstars was previously. Apparently, and this is super shocking here but the Blackstaff wasn't popular after he left the Harper's, you know... after all of the mass murderin', war causing, massive social unrest, hypocrisy, and generally being an awful person. So, since the new "Moonstars" (apparently going to be a different name they haven't decided on yet) are going to base it all off of being friends and not being mind puppets of the Blackstaff, you could go any direction you want with it there.

However, that being said, the Harper's are probably your best still since their network was all over Faerun. Also, since some of their upper echelon gave absolutely no concern for the Code of the Harper's beyond their whimsical, lying, criminal ends, you can use and abuse the organization to whatever ends you like.

I mean, why not: once you've handed a nuke over to Fzoul Chembryl, knowing he would and did set it off, what does it matter? lol

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2020 :  21:32:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Seeker Khorvaen,

I really feel that the Cult of the Dragon is a great exploratory option as they have had people all over the place as a matter of location of dragons, so you could have them wherever those dragons are for development.

Another option is to consider the Moonstars. They were started back up in 1479DR and they apparently decided to ditch the idea of what the Moonstars was previously. Apparently, and this is super shocking here but the Blackstaff wasn't popular after he left the Harper's, you know... after all of the mass murderin', war causing, massive social unrest, hypocrisy, and generally being an awful person. So, since the new "Moonstars" (apparently going to be a different name they haven't decided on yet) are going to base it all off of being friends and not being mind puppets of the Blackstaff, you could go any direction you want with it there.

However, that being said, the Harper's are probably your best still since their network was all over Faerun. Also, since some of their upper echelon gave absolutely no concern for the Code of the Harper's beyond their whimsical, lying, criminal ends, you can use and abuse the organization to whatever ends you like.

I mean, why not: once you've handed a nuke over to Fzoul Chembryl, knowing he would and did set it off, what does it matter? lol

Best regards,

Except he didn't do any of those things, despite your repeated assertions otherwise...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2020 :  21:41:39  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

As always, I appreciate your refutation of my claims. A good debate is always welcome good sir. Oghma bless you!

Though, those dang sticky facts sure are stubborn things with some light of Lathander blazing the area bright for all to see. :)

As usual, I stand ready to defend my arguments if you feel there are some points I've overlooked or clearly not articulated well, and willing to adjust those assertions I've made with your points if mine are in fact proven wrong.

Best regards, and waiting with great anticipation,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000