Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Faerun's Magic Heavy Regions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ralf
Acolyte

Brazil
7 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2020 :  20:58:25  Show Profile Send Ralf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey folks, how d'you do?

I'm currently preparing for a new campaign, and my players mentioned they'd like a place where there's a lot of magic. I can think of Waterdeep and Cormyr as such places. I believe there's also Halruaa and Thay. Any other regions of Faerun where magic is more common?

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2020 :  21:45:19  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It really depends on if you mean simply more commonplace or more powerful?

Cormyr has magic, but there are not many displays...where Thay has common display AND powerful magic.

One of my favorite places is the Moonsea where the Zhentarim wizards do not hold back and make excellent villains...just don't make them morons and it is more fun.

Faerun is heavy in magic though, and you can pretty much have as much as you want wherever you are.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2020 :  23:07:10  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Also depends on what year.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2020 :  15:15:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're looking for a place where mages are exalted, then its mainly Halruaa and Thay. There's also Nimbral, which has strong ties to illusions and fey.

However, there's several other magic heavy places where the country itself isn't all about exalting the mages as leaders.

Calimshan has a lot of spellcasters as well, and they consider themselves very culturally superior and have a lot of minor magic items floating about (things like a frying pan that heats up, a fan that moves on its own, a cup that becomes ice cold, etc....). In some ways they're very similar to Thay, but with less of a concept that their leaders should inherently be mages (they often are mind you, going back to the Shoon, less so currently). Mulmaster has its mind mages and also has a significant Thayan presence.

Samarach is a country with ties to magical illusion, but its also very secretive... just how magical they are... can't say. They're kind of like an evil-light version of Nimbral.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2020 :  03:01:11  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lantan is a blank slate following the second sundering. If you want some arcane-forward-thinking civilization not obsessed explicitly in the ways of wizards, the holy artificers of Lantan might be a fun place to explore as a DM. Their more secretive modern portrayal is just pleading to be DM fodder, go nuts there.

Also, in the great glacier and the lands Nar have ancient obsessions with Demon-binders and similar evil conjurative arts.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2020 :  15:13:41  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myth Nantar, Sea of fallen stars. An Sea elven city, with a mythal making surface dwellers breathe underwater. Sea elven and surface Elf citizens. Home of an order of mages, the Dukar.

Edited by - Starshade on 20 Oct 2020 15:14:02
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2020 :  16:02:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that's a good point.... anywhere with a mythal. Evermeet of course has unicorns that have rainbow poop.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2020 :  22:43:31  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Ralf,

I think the Shining South (apart from Halruaa) is often overlooked for magic heaviness. Durpar, Var the Golden, and Estagund are great for magic. That is an almost absolute capitalist form of economy down in that area, and with it being near the equator, and other issues as well, magic is very present down in that region.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Mrestos Khorvaen
Acolyte

Spain
48 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2020 :  13:18:22  Show Profile Send Mrestos Khorvaen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the other side of the bed... Are there low magic areas? I've read somewhere the Weave is "thinner" in areas with little population.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2020 :  14:29:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mrestos Khorvaen

On the other side of the bed... Are there low magic areas? I've read somewhere the Weave is "thinner" in areas with little population.

Narfell has few wizards. Vaasa had few wizards prior to 4e. Thar has few spellcasters. There's a lot of such as well.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2020 :  20:14:58  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Khorvaen,

I would imagine that Luthcheq is pretty low on the magic scale, but at least they are keeping warm at night if any wizards do roll into town. lol

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000