Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 DM's Guild print on demand reviews
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2020 :  00:59:09  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I recently got the Grand History of the Realms from DMG as PoD softcover and I must say I am disappointed with the print quality. The text is kind of blurry (like in low resolution) and some pictures are too dark or high in contrast. Pages have white margins on the right and bottom. So all in all not a great quality product.

I am considering getting some other books as well from the site but this first experience kind of discouraged me. Does anyone know how are stuff like 3E Waterdeep or 4E Menzoberranzan or Ed's Elminster Presents FR? I am looking for people sharing their experiences with DM's Guild's print on demand products to kind of build a database here on what is safe to get printed and what to stay away.

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2020 :  01:52:43  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms. The pictures do seem a bit darker when compared to the PDF to where some details are not seen in the printed version. Text is also a bit "fuzzy". I believe this is due to the paper used (it tends to let the ink used to "bleed" a bit which creates the blurry appearance). That is the only print item I have from DMG so I cannot speak to the others and I don't know if I just happen to get a "bad print" with others being better. It is still readable which can make doing research a bit easier (I really need to get multiple monitors setup for this computer to make digital only research easier).

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2020 :  02:05:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done a couple print on demand things through DriveThruRPG; it and DM's Guild are all part of one site. The POD things I got through DriveThruRPG were nicely done.

I can't speak on POD stuff for any of the FR material on DM's Guild. I've got the original copies for all that stuff -- in some cases, two or more copies! I had a really hard time finding a good replacement for the Waterdeep book, in particular.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2020 :  22:52:00  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

I have Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms. The pictures do seem a bit darker when compared to the PDF to where some details are not seen in the printed version. Text is also a bit "fuzzy". I believe this is due to the paper used (it tends to let the ink used to "bleed" a bit which creates the blurry appearance). That is the only print item I have from DMG so I cannot speak to the others and I don't know if I just happen to get a "bad print" with others being better. It is still readable which can make doing research a bit easier (I really need to get multiple monitors setup for this computer to make digital only research easier).

Can you share some pictures of the book?
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2020 :  01:05:55  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not needed. If you go to dmsguild.com, go to the entry for this book, click on the full size preview link. Once that opens, go to page 10. In my printed copy, the picture is dark enough that the scroll work on the stairs near her skirt cannot be seen. Her arms, in the gloves, essentially become a dark mass so you cannot see her hands at all. The stairs that go up, you cannot see the upper floor bannister because it is all black up there. Others here have a copy of this book and they can say whether or not I just happen to get a bad printing. Based on what I have seen in my copy, I would not get the printed copy and expect to have a reasonable representation of the artwork. I don't exactly have the best eyesight but the text of the book is still easily readable for me, though.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000