Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Can we make a place to post Patreon products etc?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2020 :  00:47:18  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Is this possible? There are TONS of great content creators creating some amazing lore and products, not all necessarily 5e (but many are).

I feel like Candlekeep would be a good place to let people know about these things/creators/etc.

Why should the forum be limited to the DM's guild and 5e?

Choices:

Yes
No
Wooly will decide

(Anonymous Vote)

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2020 :  01:32:45  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Blink*

Search of Patreon products indicates makers of heaters along with very many other sites. What are you proposing?

As for DM guild goes that is for D&D permitted products that at least give a nod to FR.
It is 5th edition because of their rules.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2020 :  03:04:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly will NOT decide. I just make sure we're playing nice and more-or-less sticking to the rules. This forum is Big Al's baby, not mine.

That said, we've got a discussion dedicated to Kickstarter, and various authors/designers have mentioned all sorts of outside projects. We don't have a dedicated "All Patreon, all the time!" discussion, but there's nothing prohibiting mention of Patreon projects.

So long as it's fine with Big Al, I don't see an issue with plugging Patreon content. The main caveat, of course, would be that it needs to relate to RPGs or projects from Realms authors/designers.

I myself support the Kobold Press Patreon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2020 :  08:00:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like the kickstarters, I'd have no problem with a single thread wherein people post possible kickstarters that people might be interested in, as long as they are D&D related. Its when people start multiple threads about multiple kickstarters, etc... that the forum becomes unwieldy

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2020 :  03:22:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahem... Patreon projects of interest to Realms fans

And it's been stickied, too.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Aug 2020 03:22:36
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2020 :  03:39:02  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Wooly will NOT decide. I just make sure we're playing nice and more-or-less sticking to the rules. This forum is Big Al's baby, not mine.

That said, we've got a discussion dedicated to Kickstarter, and various authors/designers have mentioned all sorts of outside projects. We don't have a dedicated "All Patreon, all the time!" discussion, but there's nothing prohibiting mention of Patreon projects.

So long as it's fine with Big Al, I don't see an issue with plugging Patreon content. The main caveat, of course, would be that it needs to relate to RPGs or projects from Realms authors/designers.

I support several Patreon's creating FR specific content.

I think it would be very good to have a separate discussion for "non-DM Guild" content.

DM's Guild is pretty limited really, especially if you do not play 5E.

It would give us all a chance to see more content that is specific to the Realms, and not 5e exclusively.

thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2020 :  03:42:11  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Like the kickstarters, I'd have no problem with a single thread wherein people post possible kickstarters that people might be interested in, as long as they are D&D related. Its when people start multiple threads about multiple kickstarters, etc... that the forum becomes unwieldy

I disagree. Patreon and other types of content creation platforms are by nature more persistent.

Kickstarters just come and go, and sometimes never create anything.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2020 :  04:59:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I support several Patreon's creating FR specific content.

I think it would be very good to have a separate discussion for "non-DM Guild" content.

DM's Guild is pretty limited really, especially if you do not play 5E.

It would give us all a chance to see more content that is specific to the Realms, and not 5e exclusively.

thoughts?

I'm not sure what you're looking for, at this point. We have the Kickstarter thread, and we now have a Patreon one. What else are you suggesting?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2020 :  13:17:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I disagree. Patreon and other types of content creation platforms are by nature more persistent.

I'm confused??? Just wondering what are you disagreeing with? All I'm saying is that we shouldn't have a separate thread for each patreon, because then people who come here sometimes "can't see the forest for the trees". Its just a way to control people coming here and spamming the forum.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2020 :  15:44:55  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm confused??? Just wondering what are you disagreeing with? All I'm saying is that we shouldn't have a separate thread for each patreon, because then people who come here sometimes "can't see the forest for the trees". Its just a way to control people coming here and spamming the forum.

Sorry, I DO agree with you. It should have it's own forum.....

then if people want to sift through the patreon content they can. But it should be somewhere on here IMO.

There is just too much quality FR specific content being created NOT on the DM's Guild.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2020 :  16:49:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, again, not sure what the argument is -- I've created the requested discussion, stickied it, and even started it off by linking a Patreon I support.

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2020 :  02:11:29  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought a separate forum would be necessary. Threads are pretty limited in their ability to sort information, in fact they are terrible at it (a la Ask Ed threads). I mean there is SO MUCH good information in those threads but almost none of it is in a usable format, meaning indexed, searchable, topical, etc. To get value from it, one would have to read literally hundreds if not thousands of posts to find what they are looking for.

My thought was a forum just like the DM's Guild forum but for all the other content. That way we can see the threads of Forgotten Realms content "ah yes a new map of xxxx, cool".

When the setting is so mature, the struggle to present information in an usable format is real. There are still amazing content creators scattered all about Patreon, and this would give us a good way to present the information in a topical manner, and give those creators a place to post FR specific content.

Maybe that's already allowed in the DM's Guild forum. Me personally, I know there is no content I care about on the DM's Guild (i don't play post 3e) so I don't bother looking in here, which I think is a problem.

My opinion is: we should endeavor to attract more creators, more users and present topical content in a usable way to the extent possible.

It's good for the forum, it's good for the setting, it's good for the creators, and the site.
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2020 :  03:11:14  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am sure we can agree that "DM's Guild" is a more recognizable entity than "FR Patreon products" as a whole. And the DM's Guild forum averages a whopping, what, one post per day? Maybe two on a busy day? And the number of replies to any Guild topic of non-Ed-involved projects are not exactly overwhelming, either.

Sort of like the ~28 views and no non-Wooly posts to the "Patreon" thread in the four days since its' opening. I appreciate your enthusiasm for independent Realms projects, but I don't see that an entire sub-forum is needed for it?

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 26 Aug 2020 03:12:09
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2020 :  15:45:56  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes but it seems Wooly already started a thread for it.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2020 :  19:18:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Yes but it seems Wooly already started a thread for it.

A single, dedicated topic, yes. It's own subsection of the forums? No.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000