Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 oh god no
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2020 :  11:50:17  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan
Ugh, could we NOT have another one of those please? I'm fairly certain almost all aspects of Humanitys Earth-based cultures have been transported, unfortunately at that, to the Realms in some supplement or another over time.

Well, in 2007, we got the declaration in http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070918 that "Osse is a mysterious continent far from Faerūn. Its population shares much in common with the aboriginal populations of real-world Australia and New Zealand."

So, yeah, as a basically throwaway remark in the last column of a web feature, a freelancer decided to declare that the land "Osse" (previously mentioned only in Lady of Poison as the place of origin for a character, with no indication how large it was) was a continent and that its people were like those of a specific real-world region.

Which, to cap it off, was done in manner painfully ignorant of the real world. There is essentially nothing that the Aboriginal Australians and the Maori had in common with each other. The former is a set of cultures that evolved in isolation on Australia for tens of thousands of years. The latter is a Polynesian culture that arrived in New Zealand c.1200 AD, is fairly closely related to those of Hawaii and Tahiti, and is part of the larger Austronesian group that stretched across half of Earth (from Madagascar in the West Indian Ocean to Easter Island in the Eastern Pacific). It's as sensible as declaring that part of the Realms "shares much in common with the Japanese and Russian cultures" on the basis that Sakhalin Island is near Hokkaido.

Frankly, I wish WotC would revisit things -- just long enough to cauterize the wound. Declare that the Lady of Poison "Osse" is actually a fairly small island, not a continent, and the big "Unknown Lands" continent in the bottom right of the 3e FRCS map is unknown. So that the idiocy never becomes further embedded in canon because someone was looking at the map on the FR wiki and saw that huge landmass was "Osse" and was supposed to be Aboriginal Australian.
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2020 :  12:51:26  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

This was announced back in May. I shared it here, then.

As for myself, I don't get it. I don't see the appeal of My Little Pony, and I certainly don't see a reason to do a crossover, there...

But it's not something I'm going to say too much about. I don't have reason to be bothered by it, and since I'm not the target market, I can ignore it.

I'm still hoping for a Transformers crossover.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2020 :  14:36:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

quote:

As for myself, I don't get it. I don't see the appeal of My Little Pony, and I certainly don't see a reason to do a crossover, there...

But it's not something I'm going to say too much about. I don't have reason to be bothered by it, and since I'm not the target market, I can ignore it.

Honestly, that's not outside the realm of possibility. I know that there was a Transformers/GI Joe crossover in the comics, and there have been Star Wars Transformers and more recently a Ghostbusters one. I'm recalling reading about another Transformers crossover figure, recently, but I'm now drawing a blank on what it was.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2020 :  14:39:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Honestly, the best way to deal with it is to have Equestria being another Crystal sphere, with the Diarchs and company being the newcomers to the Planes.

There's no need to even go that far. This whole thing is just D&D-styled figures. We are, pardon the pun, putting the cart before the horse with trying to figure out the game mechanics of something that doesn't look like it's intended to be used in-game.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2020 :  20:11:52  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Honestly, the best way to deal with it is to have Equestria being another Crystal sphere, with the Diarchs and company being the newcomers to the Planes.

There's no need to even go that far. This whole thing is just D&D-styled figures. We are, pardon the pun, putting the cart before the horse with trying to figure out the game mechanics of something that doesn't look like it's intended to be used in-game.

Well.....enjoy Planeshift: Equestria
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2020 :  21:54:04  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Appears interesting, just please explain how pony drew sword from scabbard.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2020 :  22:11:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

Psionic Ponies?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2020 :  22:22:11  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

Drew it from a scabbard withing biting distance? Most grab items via magic (sort of like mage hand) and ones that don't get magic, maybe have a scabbard by their harness?
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2020 :  22:24:36  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

quote:

Ugh, could we NOT have another one of those please?

Eh, I don't think you run that risk under what seems to be the current editorial direction. Doesn't seem to be any reason why WotC should just start to randomly detail continents it didn't give two s***s about for 20-30 years.

On topic, I don't see a problem there. I'ts obvious the caveat is "until it becomes so pervasive you find MyLittlePony references everywhere in the Realms" but I don't think is necessary to make that caveat. Or rather it should be made for each new thing coming out "OotA? Ok but let's not have demons all the time, SKT ok but no infinite giants" etc ... (Come to think of it, someone using the caveat above might have saved us from the Shar/shades onslaught ...)

Also, during the Rise of the Underdark days of ... 4e? ... the DDO MMORPG had an expansion set in Cormyr and the local Underdark and the loot of the capstone ("raid") battle with Lolth had a couple of weapons with names/references to MyLittlePny (might be more but I'm not an expert so I don't know if there are others):

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Twilight,_Element_of_Magic
https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Celestia,_Brightest_Star_of_Day

Those do seem to be items with references to MLP, which is kinda funny.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2020 :  22:28:01  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Canon Celestia flip flops from being a compassionate demigoddess to a blithering incompetent to being the living embodiment of nepotism. I like Sunbutt, but there's no way she's in any way prepared for dealing with the Realms. Canon Celestia couldn't defeat Sombra, and an alternate timeline shows him conquering the Crystal Empire and mounting a successful offensive against Equestria. Celestia's go-to solution for every problem is "throw Twilight Sparkle at it", which explains why Bookhorse Purplesmart is a neurotic wreck.

Celestia's power also comes from her innate tie to the sun. She's a powerful pony, but (ignoring her dominion over the sun, which ties to her cutie mark) 'magic' in Equestria is certainly tamer than anything in D&D. The most impressive feat of combat magic is from Twilight, and she was juiced up on the power of her senior princesses.

Sunbutt would just be another Alustriel, unless she's willing to throw down with Lathander. Luna's in an arguably worse place; she's treading on Shar's domain. Cadance's domain is in kind of a weird place, since she's married and doesn't actually seem to rule over love the way the Diarchs claim the celestial bodies.

Twilight being the Princess of Magic in a world where you can't trip over a rock without irritating some ancient all-powerful lich is also going to cause problems.

I'm sort of impressed by the knowledge you have of the My Little Pony setting and characters therein. Honestly, I simply catch a few snippets of episodes when my daughter watches them, and I don't think I've seen any of the movies (the Crystal ones and the Pony with the scar on her face) to any great detail. But another Crystal Sphere sounds good too.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2020 :  23:24:20  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MLP has a pretty solid adult fanbase, too (I know people who really like it). I haven't watched it yet, myself, but as ALTA and TDP have shown, adults like kid stuff, too, so it could lure both adults and kids to D&D. Yes, it is a bit weird, and I think it could go either way (either totally botch, or be a huge success for both franchises), but...we'll see. Considering Hasbro owns both, I'm not entirely surprised.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2020 :  00:31:38  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They did MLP cards for Magic that sold pretty well a little bit back and somehow the world didn’t end then, either.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2020 :  01:43:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

They did MLP cards for Magic that sold pretty well a little bit back and somehow the world didn’t end then, either.

Have you seen the state of the world today?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2020 :  02:37:07  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planeshift: Equestria tacitly declares that My Little Pony Land is linked to the rest of the D&D cosmos. Which implies that talking ponies could be found (almost certainly will be found) roaming foreign planes and spheres and worlds.

Perhaps you'd see Little Ponies in Sigil. Or in the Nine Hells. Perhaps you'd see Pirate Ponies in the spelljamming spacelanes. Perhaps you'd even see Shadowponies, Ponyliches. Pony Gods. Half-Ponies.

Although I do confess (as a typical sort of guy who never had any interest in or any more than passing knowledge of MLP) that this Equestria place might be a good fit with the Feywild.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2020 :  02:41:42  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Planeshift: Equestria tacitly declares that My Little Pony Land is linked to the rest of the D&D cosmos. Which implies that talking ponies could be found (almost certainly will be found) roaming foreign planes and spheres and worlds.

Perhaps you'd see Little Ponies in Sigil. Or in the Nine Hells. Perhaps you'd see Pirate Ponies in the spelljamming spacelanes. Perhaps you'd even see Shadowponies, Ponyliches. Pony Gods. Half-Ponies.

Oh dear. That might be a bit much, imho.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2020 :  02:43:06  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking the same. Equestria is more a fey place to me. My brother will want these minis, btw. My niece love horses, and my brother wants to introduce her to D&D.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2020 :  02:46:13  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I know that there was a Transformers/GI Joe crossover in the comics, and there have been Star Wars Transformers and more recently a Ghostbusters one.

Young, rosy-cheeked AJA absolutely loved the Transformers/GI Joe crossover. And the Amazing Spider-Man/Transformers one as well. My Little DnD Pony? I say Rock On! Let kids have fun. Bronies, too. If you gave me those as a kid I would have mounted up my GI Joes on them and done glorious battle with my Go-Bots and M.U.S.C.L.E. Men.

(and if you do really want to get upset at cross-IP properties actually in the Realms, may I suggest that Acquisitions, Inc. is, like, right there?)

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2020 :  10:46:42  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd want that crossover, Megatron, CR25, living construct. +36/+20, can shoot with fusion cannon (disintegrate spell equivalent) every 3rd round...
And slivers, and phyrexia,
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2020 :  11:48:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just have to ask.... is there ACTUALLY a horse whose name is "Sunbutt"?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2020 :  13:57:10  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Honestly, that's not outside the realm of possibility. I know that there was a Transformers/GI Joe crossover in the comics, and there have been Star Wars Transformers and more recently a Ghostbusters one. I'm recalling reading about another Transformers crossover figure, recently, but I'm now drawing a blank on what it was.

There was a crossover figure (and, if memory serves, comics) for Back to the Future and more recently, a crossover figure for Top Gun.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2020 :  14:47:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

If there isn't, then I know the name of my character's next horse!

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2020 :  16:47:01  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2020 :  17:30:11  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

If there isn't, then I know the name of my character's next horse!

It looks like you can have the name.

https://mlp.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_ponies/full tries to list them all. I tried search of Hasbro, however could not find easy list. Sunburst appears to be closest that I saw.
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2020 :  00:47:15  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sunbutt is actually just the nickname fans gave to Princess Celestia
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2020 :  01:13:51  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

back them iirc GIjoe comics, transformers, and star wars were all under Marvel comics, or am I off a couple of years or two or three

lets see yeah I could get a purchase a transformer crossover.
though I'd think it would still be as absurd as the MLP one.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 13 Aug 2020 01:18:50
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2020 :  05:59:02  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
G1 Megatron is basically Dr Claw.

Now, any of his later incarnations, especislly Beast Wars Megs...
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2020 :  14:19:40  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu
Gary described John Chivington, a man Wikipedia describes as a mass murderer in his opening paragraph...

This is a statement that is "woke with eyes firmly closed" because that wikipedia article and the related one concerning that damning genocide had every supporting negative reference coming from 21st century publications, a number of which were after Gary Gygax died. The 2 wikipedia pages combined for over 2800 edits after they were created in April & December of 2003 (the most recent edit happening this month). Gary wasn't commenting on this as a modern morality, and he didn't even bring up Chivington as the example but responded to another poster using Chivington as a negative example that worried the poster. Gary juxtaposed this horrible John Chivington sentiment with similar actions and attitudes of a Cheyenne warrior from the 1931 book Wooden Leg: A Warrior Who Fought Custer that showed the attitude of killing prisoners & non-combatants to be widespread. And he never said John Chivington was a paladin or an example of what is Lawful Good. See it for yourself:
https://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=197352#p197352
So, can we stop looking for faults with & impugning the dead?

There was a My Little Pony RPG announcement that was on the internet in the early 2000s. The forums I was in at that time were roughly split between those curious and/or excited about this development and those that scoffed at the thought of it. The announcement turned out to be an April Fools joke. The current mock ups of 3d figures and boxed presentation seems to require more effort than that previous hoax so I am inclined to believe this is a real product. With the D&D system that is geared for violence & looting, I wonder how the developers handled the story themes expected of the target audience in balancing the entertainment value of the game. But I'm not wondering hard enough to actually lay any money down for this.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2020 :  15:31:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, I'm not seeing anything to indicate this is anything other than just figures.

There is a game called Ponyfinder that I believe is MLP/Pathfinder, but I've not personally looked into it.

Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  03:02:43  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Again, I'm not seeing anything to indicate this is anything other than just figures.

There is a game called Ponyfinder that I believe is MLP/Pathfinder, but I've not personally looked into it.

It's not MLP, it's a knockoff setting. That also comes in a 5th edition version (Ponyfinder: Dawn of the Fifth Age).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000