Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Continental Shifts
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  05:55:38  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
For my homebrew, I am trying to get a good grip on the motion of the continents and rearrangement of the lands of Toril when the batrachi empires came crashing down as a result mostly of the Tearfall.

This map which I believe is from GhotR shows the batrachi empire as it was prior to this, one of the first major recorded RSEs.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Batrachi_Empires?file=Merrouroboros.jpg

But I’m really trying to get a good grasp of exactly how everything moved. To be really specific for myself, I’m wondering which of these lands is now Anchorome, but to make this thread more valuable to everybody, has it been established what goes where? My understanding of the shifts involved make me guess it would be Nadezhdra, but I’m unsure.

Speaking of which, do we know anything of those particular realms? All I really know is that the batrachi were getting whooped by titans thanks to unwise decisions made by Zhoukoudien.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 06 Aug 2020 05:56:50

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  15:41:07  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We don't know much about it. There is no info saying which landmass was moved there and what other was moved here. We know, however, that pre-historic Faerūn wasn't a Pangea-like continent, because Chris Perkins and Matt Sernet said it back in 2016. What this means... well, I don't know.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 06 Aug 2020 15:41:32
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  16:06:18  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My take on that is that not all of Toril's continents were assembled into one big continent. There have been one or more other continents that have always been separate.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  16:44:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simple, it's always been the one continent, but it's been reshaped by the Tearfall and the Sunderings and various retcons still to come.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  18:06:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seethyr,

As far as I know, nothing has canonically been indicated. However, some suppositions can be made. Looking at that map, the section connected to Mhairshaulk that says "Primitive human tribes" looks like what we've been calling Katashaka and the island/continent that's directly east of it combined. The section that says "Aearee Enclaves" looks like the island/continent that's WEST of Anchorome on the FR interactive atlas and the scholar's guide to Toril maps. There's a large separate island/continent shown east of "primitive human tribes" and south of "Mhairshaulk", which looks like it started heading more south, and possibly left behind a snippet. the place called Mhairshaulk looks like it split into Maztica/Lopango and Chult. The island chain that we see West of Zakhara looks like it was less spread out then as well. Therefore, especially with that little hook on the western side, I'd say that Anchorome is what we're seeing called Nadeszhda (and to note, the mountains kind of match the mountains we know of in Anchorome).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Thojan Ralwens
Acolyte

Belgium
30 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  18:10:25  Show Profile Send Thojan Ralwens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not familiar with the first sundering (or any map of Abeir), but could it be that both worlds and their continents formed one in the beginning ? That one massive continent could have been dissected to form two worlds (like pieces of a puzzle) that you would separate to form two incomplete sets.

But from some phrasing it seems some areas on Toril have their (geographic ?) counterpart on Abeir...
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  18:33:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thojan Ralwens

I'm not familiar with the first sundering (or any map of Abeir), but could it be that both worlds and their continents formed one in the beginning ? That one massive continent could have been dissected to form two worlds (like pieces of a puzzle) that you would separate to form two incomplete sets.

But from some phrasing it seems some areas on Toril have their (geographic ?) counterpart on Abeir...

Yeah, that would be hard to make canon. The one big thing to note though is that when the worlds split, on Toril it was still Merrobouros and the elven sundering hadn't happened yet. Now there is some note that the elven sundering reached "backwards in time", but we don't know exactly what that means. Conceivably though, Abeir's continents may have an entirely different shape/structure and what at's x,y latitude/longitude on one world may correlate to what's as c,d latitude/longitude on the other world. This can help explain the weird factor of the dragonborn dropping on unther to some degree.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  18:53:14  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're going to have to use magic/RSEs to account for Continental Drift. The GHotR has a beginning date of -35kDR. Nowhere NEAR enough time for CD to work, and account for where the continents are now.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  19:54:33  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The "pre-canon" AGHotR gives a more detailed breakdown.

The are labeled "Primitive Human Tribes" on the map there is shown to be Katashaka. Anchorome is shown to be roughly where Boitumelo and Kolophoon are on that map, ruled over by Aeeree.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 06 Aug 2020 19:55:08
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  19:55:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It may not have worked naturally, but looking at that earlier map and what exists according to the scholar's guide and FR interactive atlas, one can presume that things were simply pushed more apart by the Elven Sundering than just "wholly reshaped"... so essentially simulated continental drift... or maybe call it magical continental slide or push.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  19:59:11  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

You're going to have to use magic/RSEs to account for Continental Drift. The GHotR has a beginning date of -35kDR. Nowhere NEAR enough time for CD to work, and account for where the continents are now.

Yeah I used continental drift for lack of a better term. I believe the motion was rather sudden during the Tearfall.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  20:58:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The backwards and forwards in time I think of as the huge continent separates when they cast the spell, but it completely alters the time line so that 20000 years ago the continents separated then instead

This means that the events of Evermeet before the first sundering no longer happen (shalario and atornash all exist in the casting timeline but cannot exist in the new timeline because the continents are already separated). Whole nations and races are annihilated before they ever existed.

It's kind of like a back to the future thing. The sundering spell went back in time and broke the continents thus creating a new branch of the timeline. Everything we know about the realms is on this branch timeline and no one can access the original timeline unless Marty mcfly goes back to -35000 and somehow stops the magic of the sundering from taking effect.

However the spell should have eventually run out of steam at around the same point in the future from when the sundering was originally cast, which would have caused the branch timeline and the original timeline to merge in catastrophic style.

That's just how I deal with it. It explains why nobody can find atornash (because it never existed) and why the events in Evermeet the novel don't quite match up with the current realms (because they didn't happen in the current realms they happened in the original timeline).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  21:01:14  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are talking about meteor impact type event. Sudden stresses can cause movements based on how flexible or rigid the surrounding area. Without a major planetary study it is very hard to determine what becomes craters, slides along fault lines (which have not been mapped), sinks or rises due to pressures inflicted on the crust and mantle on the planet.

So you still likely will have to best guess or make it up.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  23:16:33  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have to use Magic/RSEs. For CD to happen rapidly you have to be in a very hot environment with a lot of volcanic activity. So much so that bipedal life could not evolve. So Magic/RSEs is the way to go. Heavy meteor activity can account for some of it, but remember those heavy meteors cause "nuclear" winters. Just be careful mixing RW science with the timeline given... only 40k years or so.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2020 :  01:14:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what I find interesting about that map from -31500 DR that I never noticed before? The Jotunbrud tribes would appear to mostly be in what I would call "the spirit lands"… Raumathar, hordelands, kara-tur, and not necessarily so much near the savage frontier. I mean I know that that a generalize map o the entire world and I'm making guesses, but it is kind of interesting from a "giants seem fey" standpoint.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2020 :  15:15:02  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

That's just how I deal with it. It explains why nobody can find atornash (because it never existed) and why the events in Evermeet the novel don't quite match up with the current realms (because they didn't happen in the current realms they happened in the original timeline).

-Evermeet was always presented as "myth". That basically everything in the omniscient histories has basically always lined up with it is fine and all and generally makes things a lot easier, but of all of the books out there, that is the one to take with the biggest grain of salt, by design.

-On Attornash's existence, it was completely destroyed in the cataclysmic destruction of the Sundering. The same can be said of hundreds of other ancient settlements, of which no evidence remains in the world; they're extremely old to begin with and the world underwent a massive cataclysm that more or less buried them. FWIW, based on the text in Evermeet, you can put a rough estimate of where it was on maps of the period in "pre-canon" AGHotR. Markus and I did a while ago, that has since been swallowed by WotC erasing the boards.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 07 Aug 2020 15:23:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page